Brother, My Brother

by Angel of Death

Relena sat back wearily as her shuttle docked at the Battleship Libra. She heard footsteps, the shuttle door opening, then two men were standing beside her seat. "Miss Peacecraft, Mr. Milliardo instructed us to bring you to see him in the control room. Please come with us." She got up and allowed the two soldiers to lead her to her brother. She sighed. Oh, Milliardo, what are you doing? We don't need another military force in outer space. I can tell that you don't believe in what you're doing, so why are you doing it? I don't understand, I just don't understand.

 

"Brother, my brother

Tell me what are we fighting for?

We have got to end this war

We should love one another

Oh can't we just pretend

This war never began?

We can try, brother, my brother . . ."

 

A few minutes later, they came to a doorway. Relena could hear voices inside. She recognized one of them as Quinze, one of the commanders of White Fang. Another she didn't recognize right away, but she eventually found it to belong to her brother, Milliardo Peacecraft. She walked forward before the two soldiers could stop her and interrupted the conversation he was having with Quinze. "Milliardo, what are you doing? Why are you starting this war? I have no clue, but I do know that Father would never do this!" she said, referring to their Pacifist father. He turned his head and looked at her, his ice blue eyes meeting her deep aquamarine ones head on. "This fight is based on our Father's beliefs, Relena." he said. Relena's look of determination stayed, but confusion was now evident as well. "I don't understand." Milliardo stood up and, unexpectedly, embraced her in a hug. "Good, that's just how you should be. Stay that way, Relena." he said to the top of her head. He stepped away and a voice from beside Relena said, "Let's be on our way, Miss Relena. Perhaps you can talk to Mr. Milliardo again later." Relena turned around to see, to her surprise, Dorothy Catalonia, an old acquaintance of hers. Dorothy took Relena's arm and led her out the door. "I'll show you to your rooms, Miss Relena." she said. As they walked down the hall, Relena thought about what was happening to the people, and what was going to happen to Earth if she didn't do something to change her brother's mind . . .

 

"We face each other from different sides

The anger burns, can't remember why

It's kinda crazy to cause such pain

Our foolish pride makes us be this way

We watch our world fall apart

Tell me, what good is winnin' when you lose your heart . . .

Brother, my brother

Tell me, what are we fightin' for?

Isn't life worth so much more?

We should love one another

Oh, can't we just pretend

This war never began?

Tell me why, brother, my brother

We can try, brother, my brother . . ."

 

Dorothy stopped at the doorway of a room and ushered Relena inside. She closed the door and turned to face Relena, holding a gun out, handle first, towards her. "Miss Relena, if you really want to stop Mr. Milliardo, this would be the only way to do so. Go on, you can do it, Miss Relena!" "No!" Dorothy was startled for a moment at how angry Relena sounded. "Why not, Miss Relena? Is it because you don't think you are strong enough to kill your own brother? Or is it because your ideals about Pacifism are restraining you? If that's the case then-" "NO!" Relena stood up and glared at Dorothy. "I just don't think true peace can be gained through assassination." She spat the last word out as if it was poison. Dorothy gained her composure and slowly a mockingly sad smile formed on her lips. "Oh, that's too bad. Well, in that case I'm afraid I have no choice . . ." She quickly walked out of the room, closed the door and pushed a button that locked Relena in. "Dorothy? Dorothy!?" *BANG* "Open this door!!!" *BANG* Relena knew that she couldn't get out, so she gave up and went to sit on the ledge by the window. As she looked out at the stars, she wondered how in the world she was going to get through to her brother . . .

 

"Let's take a moment and look deep inside

And say we're willin' to give love a try

We're not as different as we seem to be

There's so much more to me than what you see

We don't have to be this way

Think about the consequences, and turn around and walk away . . ."

 

 

*ABOUT ONE DAY LATER*

 

Relena was boarding a mini-shuttle that would take her to Peacemillion. Heero had come to take her to her friends, who weren't happy about her being on Libra. She climbed in and they were off. Heero didn't say anything. Relena sighed and looked out the window at Libra as it grew smaller. Oh, Milliardo, I hope you see the truth before it's too late . . .

 

"Brother, my brother

Tell me, what are we fighting for?

Isn't life worth so much more?

We should love one another

Oh, can't we just pretend

This war never began?

Tell me why, brother, my brother

We can try, brother, my brother . . ."