MY HEART WILL GO ON

By Angel of Death

 

18 year-old Relena Dorlian/Peacecraft lay in bed, tossing and turning violently. In her mind she was screaming. No, no I don't want to remember! Go away and leave me be! Tears were rolling down her cheeks. Suddenly she stopped tossing and instead hunched up and sobbed. She unconsciously gave in and let her mind drift to the sad incident that occurred two years-ago . . .

 

"Every night in my dreams

I see you, I feel you

That is how I know you go on . . .

Far across the distance

And spaces between us

You have come to show you go on . . ."

*FLASHBACK*

Heero Yuy was dancing with Relena at the Annual Peace Ball that was being held at the Peacecraft mansion. As soon as the coup de tat with Maremaia was over, the Earth Sphere Unified Nation had decided to hold a ball every year peace was held to celebrate. This was the first, and many people took it as a sign that the wars were over for good. Heero, however, knew differently. He was now working for the Preventers, and he and the other Gundam pilots were kept busy with small battles that were breaking out everywhere. But Heero wouldn't have missed this ball for anything, for he'd decided that this was the night that he would tell Relena how much he loved her. As the song ended he gently guided her away from the dance floor and out into the mansion's garden. She allowed him to guide her, all the while wondering what was going on. They reached the garden and sat on a bench. Pretty soon they were caught up in friendly conversation. Relena was stunned at how friendly Heero was being and how he was actually holding a conversation with her. The topic of discussion slowly faded and Relena was about to start in on another topic when Heero took her hand. She looked up at him in surprise and her eyes widened further when she saw all of the emotions that were occupying his Prussian blue eyes. "Heero?" she said questioningly. Heero took a deep breath. "Relena, I'm sorry for what I've put you through and I'm sorry it's taken me this long to-" But he was interrupted by a loud bang. He turned around only to find about 20 mobile suits approaching the mansion. He jumped up and, grabbing Relena's hand, ran back into the palace. "They're here!" He yelled. He turned around and faced Relena. "Stay here." he said and rushed out of the palace with the other Gundam pilots who were also attending the ball. Relena watched his back disappear and wondered, again, if he'd come back . . .

"Near, far, wherever you are

I believe that the heart does go on.

Once more you open the door

And you're here in my heart and my heart will go on and on . . .

 

One hour later the battle was still going. New troops had arrived shortly after the first 20. The Gundams were hard-pressed to keep the suits from getting to the palace. Heero was suddenly surrounded by 10 or so suits and he'd run out of ammunition. The only thing left was his beam-saber. He pulled it out and started to attack the mobile suits. But more of them started to surround him until he was overwhelmed. He went down under the mob. "Uhn." he grunted. He looked down at the self-detonation switch, then turned his gaze to a picture of Relena that was hung above his head. A single tear fell down his cheek. He put his finger on the switch and looked at the picture one last time. "Goodbye, Relena." he said softly before pressing the switch.

Back at the mansion Relena saw Heero go down. "No . . ." she said softly. Then she saw the explosion and knew that WingZERO had self-detonated. A single, emotion-filled tear slid down her cheek. She took a deep breath. "Thank you, Heero, for protecting me." she said softly before collapsing completely . . .

 

*END FLASHBACK*

 

Relena sat up in bed, breathing heavily. She closed her eyes for a moment before getting

out of bed and putting on a pair of jeans and a blue long-sleeved T-shirt. She walked over to her window, opened it, and slipped out of her room. A few moments later she was on the ground and running. She ran away from the mansion and down the road. Five minutes later she stopped, out of breath, and opened a gate that lead her down to the beach. As soon as her bare toes touched the cool sand a sense of calm washed over her. But along with the calm came the memories . . .

 

"Love can touch us one time

And last for a lifetime

And never let go 'till we're gone.

Love was when I loved you

One true time I hold to.

In my life we'll always go on . . ."

 

*FLASHBACK*

 

Relena was walking by the beach on her way home from her trip with her father to the colonies. She suddenly stopped and spread her arms wide.

"Father, don't you know that my birthday is coming up soon!?" She sighed. "The average girl would probably flip over this. I guess I'd better head home."

She was about to start walking again when she saw something lying on the beach. "Oh, a body!" she cried and ran down onto the beach. As she approached it, she realized that whoever it was was wearing a military uniform. She knelt down beside them and took of the helmet they were wearing. She gasped.

He's just a young boy . . . she thought. Suddenly the boy stirred.

"He's alive! I'd better get help!" she cried. She got up and ran to the nearest payphone and dialed 911.

"This is the emergency line." a voice said.

"Yes, please send an ambulance down here immediately!" Relena gasped.

"Please tell me the address of where you are." the voice said calmly.

There is no address! I'm at the beach, about five miles away from the shuttle station!" she cried. "Thank you, miss, an ambulance will be there shortly." Relena hung up and rushed back to the boy. She knelt down and was about to turn him over when his eyes snapped open. He leaped up and quickly put his hand over his face.

"Did you see!?" he demanded.

"See what?" Relena asked, puzzled.

"Did you see!?" he said again. Faint sirens could be heard.

"Try to calm down. The ambulance will be here soon." Relena said in a pacifying (pun/joke not intended) tone. The ambulance pulled up and screeched to a stop. Four medics jumped out .

"Hurry!" one of them said urgently. The boy, instead of calming down, ran up the steps that lead to the road(knocking the medics out his way), hopped into the ambulance and sped away. Relena walked up the steps and watched the ambulance disappear.

"Hello. My name-my name is Relena Dorlian." she said. She put out a hand in the direction that the ambulance had driven in. "What's your name?"

Her aquamarine eyes stared intensely after the ambulance.

Who is he . . .

 

*END FLASHBACK*

 

"Near, far, wherever you are

I believe that the heart does go on . . .

Once more you open the door

And you're here in my heart and my heart will go on and on . . ."

 

Relena was now standing in the ocean, the water washing over her ankles. Tears dripped off of her cheeks to join the salt in the sea. Her shoulders were hunched and she was sobbing brokenly. "You were the Perfect Soldier, Heero, how could you let yourself get killed!?" she said quietly. "I didn't get killed, I self-detonated. And the reason I self-detonated was because there was no other way that I could have protected you." said a low voice from behind her. She whirled around-and her tears stopped instantly in surprise.

 

"You're here, there's nothing I fear

And I know that my heart will go on.

We'll stay forever this way

You are safe in my heart and my heart will go on and on . . ."

 

Standing barefoot in the sand was none other than Heero Yuy. He didn't look very different than he had the night that he'd "died". Relena was stunned. "Heero?" she said softly, disbelievingly. Amazingly, Heero smiled. This surprised Relena even more, and she was now openly gawking at him. Heero stepped forward and pulled her into a warm embrace. She snapped out of her reverie and the tears returned full force. She sobbed on his shoulder, unable to stop. He gently stroked her hair. "It's okay, Relena, I'm back." he said. Relena pulled away and looked at him with tear-filled eyes. "Why didn't you tell me sooner?" she asked. "When I was found, I had lost my memory. It took awhile for me to regain it." he replied. "But I finally made it back to you." he said, looking into her eyes. Relena looked away for a moment before returning her gaze to him. The tears were gone, replaced by slight confusion. "Before you "died", you were going to tell me something. What was it?" she asked curiously. Heero's smile widened. "I was just gonna tell you that I love you, nothing important." he said conversationally. Relena's jaw dropped. "D-did you just s-say that y-you . . ." she stuttered, her voice trailing away. "Yes, I did. And I do." Heero said softly. He lifted her chin with his hand and captured her lips in a gentle, but emotion-filled, kiss. Relena froze. This was DEFINITELY the LAST thing she'd expected! Then again, Heero suddenly appearing behind her had ALSO been the last thing she'd expected. But as she got lost in the moment, all thoughts left her mind. She kissed back, full force. They pulled apart, their eyes meeting automatically. Heero pulled Relena into another embrace, taking note of how much he liked this. "I love you." He murmured into her hair. His heart soared at her response. "I love you, too, Heero."

 

"We'll stay forever this way

You are safe in my heart and my heart will go on and on . . ."

 

THE END