Just Because Part 4

 

 

Heero, Duo, Trowa, Wufei and Quatre all walked into the mansion, looking around at the walls and paintings. Heero walked over to Pagan.

Pagan turned and without saying a word pointed to the back yard. Heero scratched his head and motioned for the other three to follow.

Relena turned to look at them as they walked in. "hey boys. You like what I did with 'em?" she replied pointing to the Gundams lined up in front of her. All were clean and all were in perfect working order.

Heero looked at her, was that a smile she saw? Possibly? No, she had imagined it.

Heero walked over to his Gundam quietly surveying it, then he tapped the side of the leg of the Gundam, his eyes widening. Then he looked at Relena, an unusual expression on his face. "How long has it been since anyone's been in here?" He asked questionably.

"About three days. Why Heero?" Relena answered curiously.

"We gotta get out of here." He replied as he walked over to her quickly.

"Oi, Heero, what's wrong?" Duo Replied scratching his head, tilting it to one side.

"I'm not totally sure, but I believe someone has sabotaged our Gundams. I don't think its safe to stay in this area." Heero replied pensively.

Then Wufei caught a glimpse of a dark figure running and teal hair disappearing behind a wall. Wufei looked at Heero then sprinted for where the figure had stood, but found nothing.

"It doesn't matter who I kill in the process." The lone figure replied with evil looking smile as she held a button cupped in her shaking hands. ' Why am I shaking so badly? Am I actually afraid....that I might die as well?' she lingered on the thoughts a bit but quickly waved them away. "Oh well, Zechs' orders, here goes nothing." She replied as she pressed the button, staggering back farther into the desolate shadows so as not to be detected.

Suddenly the entire area was shook with an enormous explosion, all the pilots were sent flying, Heero jumping over Relena and holding onto her protectively blocking her as they fell.

The Gundams were blown into small pieces, metal and gears flying above the pilots' heads, threatening their life.

Duo lay on his stomach with his arms over his face, a frightened expression as he watched Deathscythe be destroyed once again. 'I've handled it beforeI can handle it again." He assured himself coldly. He knew he was lying to himself.

Trowa had also kept Quatre from getting hurt, as he had always done. He wouldn't let his only true friend die. Though the other pilots were his friends as well, none of them compared with Quatre.

Wufei slid back from the explosion and hit the far wall, letting out a slight noise as he fell to the floor onto his stomach shielding his face as he watched in horror.

Reija gave another smile, and yelped as a gear hit her chest sending her sprawling; She rolled over and pushed it off, getting to her feet, catching her breath as she ran away from the scene of the crime. Zechs would be pleased. She wouldn't get any demerits this time, no, this time she would be rewarded.

                               

After about three minutes slowly everyone stood up, except Heero and Relena, They had been closest to the impact point....were they killed? Duo cautiously staggered over to them followed by the others.

"Hey Heero" Duo replied, gently shaking him. "Come on buddy, I know you're not dead, you're the perfect soldier, you can't let a bomb wipe you out."

The others watched in silence afraid of what had become of the two.

Heero gave a short moan and opened his eyes looking at Duo. "Of course I won't let a bomb wipe me out Duo" He breathed staggeredly as he stood up, his cobalt eyes looking down at Relena. "You can open your eyes now it's all over."

Relena obeyed and stood up. "Heero" She replied concerned. "Are you alright?"

Heero gave a quirky smile as he fell forward. Duo quickly grabbed him by the waist and held him up. "Oi, Heero, what's the matter?!"  Then his violet eyes widened in shock as he looked at his hand, it was covered in blood. "h-h-hey H-h-heerowh-what'd  they do to ya??" He asked shakily.

Heero's teeth were clenched together tightly and he made a noise as Duo held onto him. "The Gundama piece of metal." He replied drawing in a ragged breath, hanging his head.

Duo laid Heero on the ground gently and tore off his shirt, There was a large cut across his side, starting from the right side of his back and ending in the front, it was deep and a large puddle of blood formed underneath Heero as he struggled to get up.

"Where's that girl?!" Heero replied suddenly. "I-I know that this is her fault!!" He struggled to sit up but Wufei pushed him back down onto his back.

Heero made a noise and looked at him. " I can take care of myself.Wufei."

"Not like this you can't." He answered, his black eyes narrowing menacingly.

"He's right Heero." Relena butted in kneeling down next to him, moving stray hairs out of his face.

Heero grabbed Relena's hand in his painfully and glared at her, his Prussian blue eyes looking as though they're on fire with rage and hatred. "Its never stopped me before...Wh-what makes you think it w-will now?." He said sitting up painfully and slowly getting to his feet stumbling a bit as he tried to walk. "S-see?? I'm o...kay" He said putting a hand on his side tightly.

"Wait-a-minute Heero!!" Duo called jumping to his feet after his persistent friend. " Don't leave Heero!! You're too weak to make it anywhere!"

Heero stopped and slowly turned around and looked at Duo with a weird look in his eyes, the look of determination, pain and loss.

Duo stepped back nervously. "Heero"

"Leave me alone Duo"  He said walking out of the back yard, trailing blood in vivid puddles along behind him. 

Duo watched him then turned around to see a crying Quatre and Relena, Wufei shaking his head muttering to himself silently, and Trowa leaning against the wall looking down at the floor.

"He's gonna make it isn't he???" Relena said holding Duo's shoulders shaking him tears streaming down her face. " He won't die....he won't" She replied trailing off, wrapping her arms around Duo's waist, needing comfort.

"Yeah, Heero will be fine." He replied shakily putting his arms around Relena trying to stop her crying. ' Please let him be okay....' "Besides....our Heero's been through a lot worse right?"

 

"My sister was in there??? You idiot! I didn't want you to kill her! Goddammit she's my sister!! She's the entire reason your killing Duo and Heero! To protect her! What was going through that thick Skull of yours????" Zechs yelled angrily kicking over his table, its contents spilling onto the tile floor. 

Reija took a few steps backwards as Zechs loomed over her, "but sir, I was just...."

"JUST WHAT??? FOLLOWING ORDERS??? YOU WEREN'T FOLLOWING ORDERS!! I TOLD YOU TO KILL YUY AND MAXWELL!! NOT RELENA!!" He screamed his icy blue eyes raging with fury.

Reija gulped and stared at him searching for some compassion to understand her mistake, but there was none, only the anger and hostility showed in his grim face. His eyes fixed on her; there was no escaping from him now.

Zechs grabbed her roughly by the neck, "I swear that if my sister is hurt in anyway I will not hesitate to kill you!!! DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME?!!?!?"

"Yes sir....I understand...." She timidly responded. "but....I think....that Heero saved her...so....I'm pretty sure she's okay....sir Zechs...." She replied her silver eyes glistening with tears.

"She'd better be" He replied solemnly letting her go and walking out of the warehouse.

 

Heero looked around at where he was, he didn't recognize it, but he did see the blonde figure walk by him as he scooted quickly into an alley leaning against the brick wall for support. 'Was Zechs responsible for all of this? No way, he wouldn't want Relena to get hurt' Heero thought to himself watching Zechs like a hawk. Then after he was out of sight Heero winced as he pushed himself away from the wall. Taking short painful breaths he ran into the warehouse. 'Where is she?!' he thought cautiously searching for her as he pulled out his gun with his free hand as the other was still holding his side. The gun was warm and sticky from Heero's bloody hands, but the didn't care; he tried to forget the pain, thinking that he had to kill that woman. That was all that mattered to him right now.

Just then he caught a glimpse of something out of the corner of his eye, he quickly turned and fired his gun, there was a yelping noise and a thud. Heero walked towards the noise poised and ready for action. It was just a rat. "Shimatta!" Heero thought to himself as he watched his surroundings.

KACHING! A bullet went flying past Heero's head and he quickly dodged out of the way as it hit the wall behind him.

There was an endless rain of bullets that threatened Heero Yuy, but he dodged all of them, keeping focus on the task at hand: Killing Reija.

"What's the matter Heero?" The teal haired woman replied walking out from the shadows casually holding the gun in her hand, aiming it at Heero. "Didn't you think I'd be armed?"

Heero gave a sort pain riddled  laugh, trying to act casual.  "Oh, I knew you'd be armed. No ones stupid enough not to carry a gun with them. With this crazy world? You'd have to be pretty dumb to not-" He was cut off by another gunshot, this time the bullet hit his hand, knocking his gun from it, He watched in silent horror as it slid on the floor away from him.

"What's wrong? Lost your gun? Oh, what a pity, now Heero Yuy is defenseless and weak, now this is something you don't get to see everyday." She replied smiling. "Oh yes, I never dreamed killing the perfect soldier would be so easy." She replied aiming her gun at Heero's forehead.

Heero looked at her with an emotionless expression, it sent a chill along her spine. Why wasn't he afraid? He was about to die.

Another Gunshot rang out only this time it wasn't at him, Relena stood in the doorway, with tear stained cheeks and a gun in her hand.

"Why you little." Reija cursed turning around to face Relena. "I thought you were dead...No matter, we can fix that." She replied aiming her gun and firing at Relena.

Relena froze staring at the end of the barrel as if entranced. Then  out of nowhere Heero jumped in front of her once again saving her life.

Heero's eyes were wide as the bullet passed through his chest. He wouldn't give up hope yet. No matter how much blood he lost or how much energy was lost, he wouldn't give up.

"Hey Silver eyes!" Called a voice, it was strangely familiar to Heero but he couldn't make out who it was. "I have a gift for ya!!" The voice laughed maniacally. "Eat Lead!!!!!" There was a shower of bullets, and Reija fell to the ground in a mess of blood.

Heero sat up from his position of laying on the ground and looked up, a slight smile made its way across his pain riddled face. Standing in the high rafters was Duo, Wufei, Trowa, Quatre, and even Zechs all standing by each other all holding guns.

"CrazyBakas." Heero managed to choke out among blood from his mouth. Relena stayed by his side, holding onto him as gently as she could trying to keep him steady.

All five of them jumped down and landed on the ground with ease then walked over to the wounded soldier and the persistent girl.

"Hey Heero, you look terrible." Duo said looking him over.

Zechs was quiet for a while then finally decided to speak. "Look Heero." He said timidly. "I'm sorry, this is all my fault...I was just worried about Relena and I....uhh...."

Heero shook his head. "H-happens all th-the time...."

Zechs breathed relieved as the other Gundam pilots helped Heero to his feet and out the door.         

Zechs turned to follow them but Relena stopped him. "What were you thinking???" She yelled demandingly.

"But RelenaI uhh..." Zechs stammered.

"You what?? Want to treat me like a child my whole life??? Want to try and kill my friends??? Huh??"

All the boys looked back at the two Peacecrafts, amused.

"The only person he can't win with." Duo added looking down at Heero who was passed out with a genuine Heero Yuy smile on his face.