"An Oldie But a Goodie" by: the archduke

disclaimer: I don't own GW, but I do own Samantha. I also don't own this premise. It belongs to the owners of "It's a Wonderful Life".

 

Chapter 3

 

They were standing in front of a military base which Heero had never seen before. That in itself was peculiar because he didn't remember there being a base in this neighborhood. Even stranger was that this was an active base, with mobile suits wandering freely about, some even engaging in military manuevers. He immediately grabbed Samantha and hid behind some bushes that were nearby.

"Heero, what are you doing. Let me go," Samantha yelled as he settled them within the foliage.

Heero clamped his hand over her mouth, silencing her. "Be quiet," he admonished in a whisper. As the girl was trying to struggle out of his grasp he looked over at the base. He surmised it was some sort of militia group, preparing for an upcoming battle. He was surprised that they were training out in the open like they were. Preventors' satellites would have immediately picked up the activity and intervened. Obviously someone was asleep at the switch. He would have to talk to Lady Une and Relena about this once he got back.

He suddenly felt a sharp pain in the hand covering Samantha's mouth and instinctivly withdrew it. "Finally," she panted. "What were you trying to do Heero, suffocate me or something? Geez," she saw him move to repeat the action and quickly moved out of his grasp.

"This isn't some rebel group Heero," she said, seeming to read his mind. "This is the base for the 5th Region OZ Army, led by General Chang Wufei." Upon seeing his confused expression, which he seemed to wear a lot lately, she continued.

"Remember what I said before Heero? We're seeing what life would be like if you never existed. The world is a whole different place than what you're used to. In this world, OZ succeeded in toppling the government, making Treize Khushrenada the Supreme Ruler of the Earth. Once conquering Earth, Treize had little trouble with the colonies, treating them as second class citizens inferior to the Earth. Not that the Earth was in such great shape. Treize and OZ lead with an iron fist, suppressing even the slightest threat to their rule. Free speech and freedom of the press are non-existent, and people are jailed for even suggesting that a new government should be placed into power. It's really a sad state Heero. All because you weren't born."

"How can this be? Relena wouldn't let anything like this happen?"

"Relena is different in this world, Heero. Just like all your other friends. By not meeting you their lives went down a different path, a path which dosen't lead to pacifism." At his questioning gaze she continued. "You'll see what I mean. We'll see all your friends and how they now live their lives. First up is Wufei."