"An Oldie But a Goodie" by: the archduke

disclaimer: I don't own GW, but I do own Samantha. I also don't own this premise. It belongs to the owners of "It's a Wonderful Life".

 

Chapter 4

 

 

The general strolled by the lines of men in military formation, pleased by the overall professionalism displayed. There was no restlessness, no figeting among any of his soldiers. They were well trained, ready to fight when needed. These men were as close to perfect as possible, and no one in the OZ military would have expected any less from Chang Wufei.

As Wufei continued to inspect his soldiers, he began thinking about how he came into such a position of high esteem and power. He went from a misguided youth blinded by the treacherous colonies to one of the most respected and feared leaders of OZ. He was one of the four Gundam pilots, brainwashed into fighting for the colonies and against Treize Khushrenada. However, once he actually met the man he was supposed to destroy, he realized that he was living in the dark, with Treize showing him the path towards the light. He abandoned Operation Meteor and used his Gundam to defend OZ. The colonies quickly fell, with Wufei riding Treize's coattails all the way to the top.

 

 

Heero was sick and tired of this girl. First she interupts his suicide, then she takes him to some strange military base talking about OZ ruling the world, and now she is saying something about Wufei. How in the world does she know Wufei anyway? It didn't seem as if they both travelled in the same social circles.

He was about to tell her once again to leave him alone when out of the corner of his eye he caught sight of a familiar head of hair. He looked to his left, and sure enough, not more than forty yards away, stood Wufei. Heero saw him walking among some soldiers, looking as if he were inspecting them. It seemed the Preventers did know about this place, putting Wufei in undercover. Heero wondered briefly why they would use a high profile Preventor such as Wufei, but quickly brushed his doubts aside. It looked like he was playing his part well, and as long as he got the mission accomplished nothing else mattered.

 

 

 

"Yes sir, everything is coming along well. The last batch of recruits may be our best yet."

There was a chuckle coming from the vidphone. "How long have we known each other Wufei? And you still insist on calling me 'sir'? You know I consider you more of a friend than just another soldier."

"I feel the same way, sir. But you know my upbringing. It wouldn't allow any less than total respect from myself towards my commander." Wufei always had this particular conversation with Treize. They were friends, but first and formost they were soldiers. He never let himself forget that.

Changing the subject, Wufei said, "How is your wife, sir? It has been ages since I have last seen her."

"What can I say about my wife? Still the cold hearted bitch I married." Treize laughed a bit, with Wufei joining in, before he sobered. "I'm glad these new recruits show such promise. I'm thinking of sending them to L1 to squelch an uprising there. A few hundered deaths should show the colonies who is in charge here."

Wufei nodded. "I'll begin training them for special operations then. They should be ready within the next two weeks. Will that be soon enough?"

Treize waved his hand in a dismissive nature. "Fine, fine I trust your judgement Wufei. I will call again at the end of this week to see what your progress is. Long live OZ."

Wufei responded with a "Long live Treize" and then the connection was terminated. Wufei stood up, stretching, thinking over the training that had to begin in the morning, when a voice suddenly broke through his thoughts.

"Who were you talking to just then? If I hadn't seen you kill Treize yourself I would have sworn that it was him."

Wufei turned around with such speed that Heero only saw the gun after its sights had been settled at his head.

"Who are you? Who sent you? I hope you're prepared to die for whoever you work for."

"Stop playing your role and update me on the situation. I know I'm not a Preventer, but you know damn well that I can be of much use."

Wufei's gaze never left Heero, and a sudden feeling in the pit of Heero's stomach made him think that maybe Wufei wasn't just totally immersed in his character. Wufei really looked as if he were going to kill Heero at any moment.

"I have no idea what you are talking about, but we at OZ have ways to make you talk. Guards!" Suddenly three soldiers ran into the office, with guns raised and ready. "Take this person and see what you can get out of him. By any means necessary." Wufei said this last part with such menace that Heero knew he was in trouble.

"Wufei, what are you doing?" Heero yelled as the guards descended upon him. He quickly dispatched them, and as he was turning back around, he felt pain enter his back and come out of his chest. He looked down at himself and saw that an exit wound was slowly draining the blood out of him. As he slumped to the ground, he idly thought that an exit would also signify an entrance wound.

Heero lay on the ground, knowing he was dying, when he saw two pairs of boots in front of his face. He struggled to turn himself over, when a kick to his stomach stopped him. A face came into his view and he immediately knew who it was.

"Sh-shooting a...a person...i-in the b-back," he paused to take a breath while the other person patiently waited, "is dishonorable."

Wufei shrugged his shoulders and replied, "Who cares?"