AN: to twilight shadow (Goldberry). *Sable << kinda embarrassed.* some of the terminology is the same, but not a lot and I'm sorry that I forgot to write it in, I'm getting old and senile; that's my excuse. Danke for your encouragement in my application! ^____________^ Working on my art portfolio so it'll be a hectic few dayz (weeksmonthslol!) And to all of u out there, Happy Holidayz!

 

Chapter one: City of Stone

 

 

A city appeared on the horizon, a small dot that slowly expanded into a sprawling plethora of buildings and battlements, simple stands to large merchant shops carved from granite and clay. Relena managed a tired smile as she urged her sable stallion forward to trot at Dorothy's side.

"Captain." Dorothy greeted briefly, but her eyes never strayed from the city that loomed ahead of them. "News?"

"Ambassador. I sense no overt hostility-"

"Except the fact that the gates are closed to us and the women hide their babes in the folds of their skirts? Or perhaps, do you sense this "lack of hostility" in the curved swords that the men wear at their sides, and the fact that the city is barren of the business and bustle that should be going on at this time in the day?" Dorothy's eyes were sardonic as she lifted a feline brow.

"That cannot be construed as overt hostility." Relena countered adamantly. "Fear yes, but their actions are caused from the imminent threat of a Mid-land attack, not because we are here. I can even venture as to say that the men that surround us are more for our protection than anything else. After all," Relena smiled slightly, "we are just worthless pacifists that don't know how to string a bow..."

"Don't hear Quatre hear you say that," Dorothy commented dryly then looked up warily as a shadow fell across her. "Sir Yuy. Have you taken over the duty of seeing us to the capital then?"

"Lady Dorothy. Captain Peacecraft. I have been ordered to welcome you to Colonias, the Dominion capital city and inform you that Lord Trieze has prepared a banquet in honor of your arrival." He said monotonously, and instead of an arch reply, Dorothy bowed slightly at the waist, letting the loose material of her caftan swing gracefully about her.

"The pleasure is mine. I hope that this conference turns out as we all wish it to." She replied smoothly. "May we all gain peace." Heero nodded curtly, then his cold eyes swung to Relena in an almost interrogatory manner.

"Captain. You will leave your weapons on the steps of the Imperial Mansion...they are not necessary for the peace talks."

Relena eyed the taller man nervously as Heero looked down at her from his own mount, which was obviously one of the famed Dominion war-mares. Horses bred to be muscular, strong; a war-mare could fight as fiercely as her rider in a skirmish, striking at anything within her reach. Her purposely-sharpened hooves were as accurate as any sword and perhaps even more deadly. Relena felt her ownNirobi shift uneasily away from the cold-eyed mare and steadied him with a murmured word. Although not as deadly as the Dominion mare, horses bred of the Sanq line was no broken-backed cobs either...instead of pure muscle, they were known for their intelligence and cunning, more like a cat's spirit in the form of a lithe equine. And as shown now, they were also bred for their courage in the face of daunting odds.

Relena nodded respectfully at the warrior, but she looked him in the eye, shoulders squared and chin tipped up stubbornly. "Sir Yuy. Weapons are not necessary for the peace talks; this is true. Yet we will keep them to protect the ambassador by your leave." When he narrowed his eyes, she added quietly, "Would you not do the same had you visited the Sanq Kingdom?"

"They are not needed." Heero said coldly, sidestepping her logic altogether.

"Nevertheless-"

"They are not needed." There was a tacit warning in Heero's narrowed eyes, sending pikes of ice down Relena's back. He's so cold...unemotional. Is this the face he shows in battle?

Relena tightened her fists on her reins before saying quietly but just as tenaciously, "Sir Yuy...my main objective is protecting Ambassador Catalonia against harm from within and without. Now...I will be blunt with you. The White Fang Dominion and the Sanq Kingdom have never had...amiable...relations. The Prelate trusts the good intentions of the Dominion; but then again, as Prelate, she has that luxury. As a soldier, I do not. I must insist that we be allowed to bring our weapons into the banquet hall." Her smile was more than a little forced as she looked back at him with unafraid cerulean eyes. "We will not find it amiss if you hold your weapons against us as well, Sir Yuy."

There was no acknowledgement or response to that last statement as Heero looked away, an almost contemptuous expression flashing across his features before it was gone. "The Sanq Kingdom is known for its pacifistic nature."

Relena looked at him steadily, but it was Dorothy who answered as she cut in abruptly, "We are realists. We abhor fighting, avoid it when we can. However, we will not hide from an outside threat. Else why would we journey through your southern plains to reach you?" Instead of answering, he spurred the mare forward and she broke into a quick trot to the front of the line, passing both of them to take his place by Wufei, only one sharp, unintelligible word spoken between them before they entered the City Gates. Dorothy watched him go silently, then dropped back a few steps to speak to Relena privately.

"No overt hostility, hmm, Captain? As such, it is a strange welcome." She gestured at the nearing walls of the city, her eyes uncharacteristically grim and sober without the usual sharp derision flashing from her blue orbs. "They prepare more for war than they do for peace." Relena nodded silently as she stared at the ominously silent city.

The city walls cast dark shadows against the shifting sand and sparse tufts of grass as it loomed over them in an almost sinister air, as if built to fit only the Spartan life-style of its inhabitants. Relena tipped her eyes back warily, taking in the silent guards at the walls and battlements, the gently flapping standard of a black Lion rampant on a field of crimson red without the traditional standard of gold that signified truce flowing beneath it. She sensed rather than saw those of her unit eye each other and the city walls with the same skepticism and disbelief that she herself felt.

This was to welcome a peace delegation?

"We will keep our eyes open." Relena merely replied, hiding her own misgivings. "I'm posting a guard by your side and at your door twenty four hours a day, foster sib. Odin and Duo will probably ask to be as far away from the ceremonies as possible, so I'll ask them to take a night shift. I don't want to see you hurt." Dorothy raised both eyebrows at that sentiment before abruptly changing the subject.

"I can take care of myself as well as any other. But that's enough about me. What goes on between you and Sir Yuy, hmm? No, don't look at me like that; I saw the fire in his eyes when he looked at you." Dorothy allowed a sardonic smile to trace her lips. "Will we be exchanging heated love letters perhaps?"

"Ambassador..." Relena warned, a slight flush creeping up her neck, but Dorothy only laughed.

"Never fear, I but tease. But it actually would be much simpler for me if you were to fall in love and marry that warrior, I assure you, Captain. Then at least we would have the bond of consanguinity between us. Now, I find myself at odds with these testosterone-oriented males without a sliver of common ground between us." She tipped her head to one side, a slow, feline smile of dangerous pleasure crossing her face. "But then again, what excitement would there be if I did not see a challenge laid on the battlefield, am I right, Captain?"

Relena sighed, feeling the brittle grass beneath her horse's hooves meld into the more secure footing of paved bricks. "Do what you must, Ambassador. I am only here to protect you and the interests of the Kingdom."

"Hmm...true." The wind teased their hair, making silver gold strands entangle with honey-brown before Relena quickly bound her hair into an unobtrusive bun. She grasped the reins in her hand again as Nirobi plodded along, ears pricked as the horse cataloged the new sights and smells of the city with simple interest. After a moment, Dorothy turned back to her Master at Arms, a smile touching her lips. "Are you sure you won't reconsider, Captain?" There was more than a little mockery in Dorothy's voice causing Relena's eyes to snap in vexation.

"Dorothy, I swear, if you weren't my foster-sister...ambassador or not I would-"

Dorothy laughed, the gilded notes spiraling into the wind on invisible wings. "I wondered how long it would take for you to break your formality. I was becoming tired of being called Ambassador and Ambassador Catalonia at every turn!"

Relena allowed a wry smile to cross her lips as she regarded the other woman. Then she sighed, shaking her head in amused capitulation as she shifted her pack across her shoulders. "Next time, just say the words, Dorothy."

"But it's so much more fun to bate you...especially since you are so much like a predictable trout, always rising to the occasion." Dorothy teased then grimaced as Wufei halted, turning to face them with a barely civil mask of displeasure. "Wonderful...well, far be it for me to ruin his petty game, I suppose. I'm sorry, dear sib, but we'll have to continue this...tantalizing... conversation later, hmmm...?" Without waiting for a reply Dorothy straightened in her seat, donning her haughty demeanor of bored nobility as she inclined her head lazily. "Yes...Ambassador Chang?"

"We will be holding a formal dinner later in the Main Hall."

"I thank you, milord, and of course, accept. My guards will accompany me, at Captain Peacecraft's discretion." She lowered her lashes, brushing her hair back in the epitome of feigned female bewilderment. "I know so little of such things. Fighting and defending is best left to the soldier's is it not?" She abandoned her indolent position as she leapt nimbly off her horse, caressing Scimitar's flank with soothing fingers. "When do the negotiations begin?"

Wufei also dismounted stiffly, his obsidian eyes bright and alert. "When we have seen to your comfort, Lady Catalonia. The time and place of the...talks, that can be decided later."

Dorothy turned her face into her horse's flank to hide the quick flash of distaste that was replaced by her ever-present smile. "How charming. I thank you for looking after my welfare. Perhaps you can tell us the way to our quarters? We cannot appear before His Excellency..." Dorothy smiled in a self-deprecatory manner, sweeping her hands over her dust-worn travel gown and muddy boots, "...like this. Perhaps an hour to freshen up?"

Wufei nodded brusquely before barking a single order and a female servant immediately appeared at his elbow. "Lord Chang, sir?"

He waved towards the delegates of the Sanq Kingdom in a curt gesture as he turned away. As he strode into the halls, his voice carried back behind him as he snapped, "Show Lady Catalonia and her guards to their chambers."

"Yes Lord." The servant bowed submissively before straightening and bowing to Dorothy. "Lady, Captain, follow me if you will?"

Dorothy nodded coolly, but Relena shook her head. "Please aid Lady Catalonia in preparing for the feast. My people and I will take care of the beasts first."

The girl jerked up in surprise, then distress as she murmured anxiously, "But Captain, Lord Chang said-"

"Lord Chang obviously hasn't considered the wellbeing of our mounts," Dorothy interrupted dryly, pulling back her silken hood. "The most important rule of any Sanq soldier is that one must never slit his own throat by cutting off his legs. To rule the Heavens, you must first conquer first the earth, and how will one do that if one cannot walk, hmm?" Dorothy flicked back her hair in an absent gesture before turning to the girl expectantly, but the servant looked completely bewildered and cowed.

"My Lady, I know not of such things. But...but I cannot disobey the orders of milord! I...please Lady, Captain; let me escort you to your room!" Anxiety marred her olive-brown face and Relena took pity on her lost expression but Dorothy just frowned, muttering something under her breath.

"Girl, who, pray, will look to our horses then?" Dorothy demanded pointedly. She frowned coolly and turned her back on the distressed servant. "Think you that I would allow someone other than my Master of Arms to take care of Scimitar properly? Will you groom my horse?"

Relena saw the look of horror and fear that crossed the younger girl's face and sighed quietly in controlled vexation.

"Honestly sib, you go too far!" She murmured quietly for Dorothy's ears only. Then she raised her voice, calling, "Quatre, Hilde, please accompany the Ambassador to her rooms. The rest of us will take care of the horses." She glanced at the Preventer unit, which nodded patiently, swinging off their horses, the two chosen Preventers coming to a halt three paces from Relena, bowing first to Dorothy and then towards the flustered girl who stared at them in bewilderment.

Relena smiled reassuringly at the girl, "Is that acceptable? You are showing Lady Catalonia and her guards to their chambers as Lord Chang has asked."

The young maid hesitated, then bowed slightly, "It shall be as you wish, Captain. Lady, this way please." The trio disappeared into the hallways as Relena watched, Hilde and Quatre carrying the packs. She sighed heavily, tired from the journey and the tension that was already marring the conference before it had begun.

"'Jou-san!" Duo's yell interrupted her thoughts as Relena jerked her head up in surprise, just in time to see Nirobi's ears flatten as he snapped at one of the hostlers. "Your horse is trying to make mincemeat out of the locals, so call him off! He only listens to you!" Duo cantered his livery chestnut around the black stallion, warning the Dominioneers to back away from the horse, which they did quickly.

"Nirobi! In'shala di'naku Sanq!" Relena said quickly, grabbing onto the stallion's halter as she put a soothing hand on his cheek. He immediately calmed, lipping the lapels of her coat lovingly before settling into the position of obedience. Relena smiled apologetically at the nervous grooms who approached warily. "I'm sorry. I should have said before that he will accept no other hand but mine," Relena explained. "The rest of the Sanq horses are of like mind, so can you show us the stalls? We can do the rest."

They were shown into the stable, Duo grinning as Deathscythe pranced into the stall, tossing his head arrogantly at the Dominioneers. "Oi oi...I wonder why I got a show off like you?" He asked cheerfully as he began rubbing the sweat from the chestnut's shoulders. "All the other Sanq horses have brains. You have looks...but have yet to show me the intelligence that our horses are known for."

"Like horse, like rider." Odin jibed back and Titain snorted, seemingly in agreement.

Relena smiled as she worked, listening to them bicker back and forth as she finished rubbing off Nirobi, then started the process over on Scimitar. "Maybe if we're together, it will not be as bad, eh, Scimitar-san? It already seems a hard day's work before it has begun." She murmured, flicking the dust and sweat from Scimitar's shoulder. After thoroughly rubbing her down, she swatted the horse lovingly on the flank, making Scimitar roll her eyes in reproach. "Now go feed with Ni-chan. Or he'll finish all the carrots and you'll bite him again." She gave Scimitar a light tap on the hindquarters and stood back, letting the mare pass into the stall before washing her hands clean. "Odin, Duo, are you finished with Hilde and Quatre's horses yet?" She yelled and received an affirmative. "Good, then let's change."

"Aww...penguin suits?" Duo asked uncomfortably, "Jou-san, I'd rather you post me somewhere on the grounds. You knowlet the Shinigami skulk around like what he does best." He gave her a grin laden with an excess of charm and agony thrown in for measure as he widened violet eyes pitifully eyes at her. "I mean, we have to be rested to be affective eat night, right?"

"Me too." Odin said quickly, "Preferably as far away from th'Ladies an'Lords as possible, Rel..." He shuddered, "Bowin' and scrapin'...no thank you. I'd rather be facin' a horde of angry Mid-Landers."

Relena laughed, "Well, I do suppose that Quatre would be a better choice since he was born noble and knows all the court functions..."

"Right." Duo quickly injected.

"...and Hilde has more patience than the both of you combined..."

"Yeah, she's th'soul of patience." Odin agreed, half a breath behind Duo.

"So that means you can hide in your rooms like the little cowards you are." She stifled a smile as they cheered and glared at them instead. "No funny business, both of you. Make one mistake and I'll make sure you'll be attending every social function I can find for the next six months."

Duo winced, and the smile faded from Odin's face as they both shuddered. "That's cruel jou-san...that isn't even funny..."

***

Quatre cautiously checked the room for hidden traps, springwire-attachments or spy-holes, running knowledgeable fingers down the sides of the wooden wall before he shook his head. Finished with his check, he turned back to Hilde and Dorothy, propping his bow by the bed stand within easy reach. "Nothing. But I would still be careful." He added, and took the mantle that Dorothy handed to him.

"Oh, and why is that, Quatre? Do you actually suspect our hosts of dirty tricks?" Dorothy asked, a slightly mocking tone ever present in her voice.

Quatre was silent for a time as he folded the ornamental mantle into a neat square and set it on the bed. "Perhaps, Lady." He admitted softly, "I do feel that His Excellency Trieze himself does want reconciliation. I believe that with the aid of the Dominion, we can keep the Mid-Lands from swallowing any more territory than they have already gained. So, this union is beneficial to everyone."

"Except the Mid-landers." Hilde interrupted with a dangerous grin. She twirled a dagger absently in her fingers as she leaned against the tapestry-hung wall, cerulean eyes snapping with dangerous humor. "They, of course, are going to pay for their crimes."

"War is not always the answer." Quatre answered, then smiled slightly, "Perhaps there is a better way."

"Perhaps pigs might fly." Hilde replied, then laughed, at the pained expression on Quatre's face before standing up. "Don't worry, Quatre. I'm teasing. I'm sure some of the conquered countries in the Mid-Lands aren't all that happy either under their thumb."

"Hmm...and if we ally with the Dominion, those conquered territories might flock to our banner." Dorothy added, a feline grin curving her lips, "Weakening the Mid-lands, strengthening us. And we will need all our strength when dealing with the Barton clan, I assure you."

"That bad huh?" Hilde asked.

"That good." Dorothy corrected as Hilde took down Dorothy's hair and began combing it. "Their spies, their connections, their assassins, they're everywhere and they're the best. If it takes them five years to infiltrate a country, they'll stay for five years, blending in with everyone, gaining everyone's trust. Then, they'll strike." Dorothy grimaced. "Not even Lady Une has detected a set method to their tactics, nor have we been able to corner any spies in the Sanq Council. The minute they're found out...if they're ever found out...they disappear. Like smoke or dust or...or shadows cut by light. They're versatile, dangerous...well, they're Bartons."

Quatre blinked, then shook his head. "That last comment was a strange statement, Lady Dorothy."

"Not so strange if you know who...or rather what the Bartons are." Dorothy answered grimly, shaking her head and Hilde frowned as the silky blonde strands slipped from her fingers.

"Dorothy, I can't plait your hair if you constantly move." She said, annoyance streaking through her voice, but Dorothy only smirked, glancing at the other woman in the mirror.

"How did a Sword-sworn learn to be a coiffeuse? Secret life that we don't know of, hmm?" Dorothy purred back, diverted from the original topic, and Hilde frowned, giving blonde hair an unnecessarily hard tug.

"Don't even start on that vein, or I'd have to retaliate with how a crazy war-monger like you-" The door creaked open slightly and instinctively, Quatre whirled around, arrow and bow appearing in his hands even as Hilde was unloading her spring-sheathed knife.

The door flung itself open and Relena appeared from the hallway, brushing her hair back from her face. "Ambassador. Duo and Odin are-" Relena stopped, gaze going first to the Quatre's notched bow, then to Hilde's harshly curved dacra, then stopping at Dorothy's half-plaited hair. "I don't think that pulling blades on the first person that comes in will help any public relations," Relena said gently, closing the door behind her and Hilde sighed explosively.

"Captain, there is such thing as a door and knocking." Hilde snapped, taking Dorothy's loose strands in hand again. "You just scared ten years off my life." Relena raised a brow but didn't say anything as Quatre unlooped the gut-wire bowstring from the frame, carefully coiling it into a roll.

Relena smiled slightly before she continued, "Odin and Duo are cowering in their rooms right now. Afraid of court functions."

"A likely story."

Relena coughed, politely ignoring Dorothy's too-accurate barb as she continued, "Later, they'll be on night-watch outside Lady Dorothy's room so we can get some rest. It's been a long ride, and it'll be a still longer night until we can seek our beds."

"And we're babysitting Dorothy in the meantime." Hilde guessed with a grumble as she twisted Dorothy's brilliant hair around her fingers, "Damnit Captain, I'm not gonna wear a Gods bedamned dress. Put me in one of those penguin suits for god's sakes: the one that's made for the royal guards. Hell, I'll even wear the beret, but no damn gown."

"You and Duo are starting to sound very similar," Relena's lips twitched slightly in laughter, causing Hilde to look up from her work, scowling.

"That braided idiot? Don't insult me." She muttered before deftly twisting the loose ends together, tucking the strands away in some invisible fashion. "Now, you're ready. Just change your attire into that sleeveless silver gown with the ice blue shawl and I'll do your makeup."

Relena blinked. "I didn't know you were a makeup artist, Hilde." Quatre choked on laughter, struggling to maintain his composure of quiet serenity, but Dorothy laughed outright as she glanced candidly over at her foster sib.

"My dear Captain, it would not be wise of you to ask any more questions unless you want a dagger imbedded into you stomachwe have already received like threats." Dorothy teased unmercifully and Hilde's scowl grew darker as she began unrolling the gown out of its protective oilskin, brushing the lint flecks from its shimmering folds. "And then she will yank at your hair with such strength that you will begin to feel the roots loosen from your scalp and-"

"Since when has this become the Festival of Fools? Now get dressed! Or I'll paint your face with enough rouge to make you look flushed from sickness. Then I'll wax your eyebrows and cut them off with garden clippers, and claim that you were attacked by a Mid-Land assassin with little fashion sense, see if I don't." She shook out the gown briskly before tossing it to Dorothy, who grinned as she caught it.

"Mines lips are sealed, my glorious beautician. Without thy skillful help, I would indeed be bereft."

"Shut up!"

"Really...is that any way to speak to your Ambassador, Preventer Schliebecker?"

"I apologize," Hilde said acerbically, in a voice that was decidedly not apologetic, "Shut up, Milady Ambassador."

*** 

Fire twinkled vivaciously off the crystal chandeliers, throwing the room into a whirl of light and shadow. It seemed to caress the hard marble floors into a satiny texture and illuminate the lazy, spiraling wood-grains of the ornate baroque styled table with the inlayed gold carvings. Above the head of the long table, a tapestry of a black lion shaking it's wild mane dominated the wall, its head thrown back in a silent cry of challenge. Along the length of the table sat the various councilors and warriors, and in the middle was Treize Kushrenada himself, presiding over the whole meeting.

Relena took a deep breath and glanced quickly back at the rather small Sanq representation, smoothing her features into a façade of cool efficiency. No matter how overwhelming the room was, induced to inspire awe and a heady sense of worthlessness, she and the others had been trained to deal in situations like this. Hilde had stopped fidgeting, hiding her nervousness behind a stony expression of indifference that was not ill at ease, but not at ease either. She herself was feeling more than a little jumpy; gods above, she hated these kind of court functions! Only Quatre and Dorothy seemed completely at home in this environment, waiting with polite patience for Relena to proceed them.

Seeing everything was in order, Relena turned back to the waiting man.

"Announce us." She said, more curtly than she would have liked. Gentling her voice slightly, she added, "We're ready." The herald nodded, raising a brass horn to his lips and emitting three sharp notes and the heavy double doors were both pulled open wide. Relena stepped forward first, the Agiel's golden chain dropping from an ornamental collar at her neck and twining loosely around her right arm.

"Commander Lady Relena Peacecraft of the House of Peacecrafts!" She bowed gracefully to the panel, her honey-gold hair falling forward across her bare shoulders in trailing ringlets. Then she stepped to one side of the red carpet and stood at alert as she Hilde's name was called after hers.

"Preventer Hilde Schliebecker, Guardswoman of the Mandalore!" Hilde copied her movements in a slightly more jerky manner before moving to the other side of the carpet, hand resting at the hilt of her blade. Unlike Relena, she had insisted on not wearing a ball gown, opting instead for a Guards' dress uniform almost bristling with white on white embroidery. The threads twined their way through the sleeves of her jacket in an unfurling pattern of leaves and vines and the only concession she made to ease the severe whiteness of her dress were the sparkling sapphires at her ears.

"Ambassador Lady Dorothy Catalonia of the House of Catalonia, escorted by Preventer Lord Quatre Winner of the House of Winner!" Even without turning around, Relena could feel their affect on the crowd. A low murmur swept through the room, the men bending close to each other to whisper and nod slightly towards the pair. Relena stifled a smile; the two did make a handsome pair, but it was more than that.

They seemed to fill the room with their presence, radiating an aura that bordered on arrogance but with the competence in their identical expressions of aristocratic refinement to back it up. As an Ambassador, Dorothy could not by tradition wear a sword inside the palace, so she wore a long, deadly "ornamental" dagger at her hip instead. Her gown of silver and shimmering blue threads molded her bodice and hips before flaring into a wide skirt, revealing a well-toned body and slender muscles that could wield a four-foot glaive with ease.

Quatre's uniform matched hers, but instead of the ornamental dagger, he wore a full scimitar that gleamed with runnels of azure veins beaten beneath the silvery steel exterior. Around both of his wrists were hidden knife-sheaths bristling with tiny daggers known as Lotus Wasps that would come undone from the sheaths with a simple twist of his fingers. The weapons fit well on him and he carried them with the ease of practice and competency; no one would be able to tell that it had taken both Hilde's and Relena's insistence to override his reluctance in wearing so much weaponry.

Dorothy stepped to the fore, her fingers pressed lightly against the crook of Quatre's arm. With the grace of one bred into her nobility, she sank in a full throne-room curtsy before the court, bowing her head only slightly before she stood up once again.

"You Excellency." The murmurs died down as her voice rang across the room, full of authority that commanded respect. "As a representative of the Prelate and Her peoples of the Sanq Kingdom, I thank you for your hospitable welcome into the Dominion and bring you Her greetings and wishes for your continued well-being."

Trieze rose to his feet as well, bending slightly at the waist before he came around the table to greet Dorothy properly. He raised her gloved hands to his lips before replying smoothly. "As the leader of the Dominion, I thank you for your kind words and accept your Prelate's greetings. I return with them, my hopes for the Sanq Kingdom's prosperity in this new era and extend a welcoming hand to our allies-to-be. May this union protect Our people and Our lands from those that would overrun us."

Offering her his arm, he inclined his head to Quatre who bowed and stepped back from Dorothy, allowing the other man to escorted Dorothy to the dining room. Then, Quatre turned to politely nod to Trieze's consort, Lydia, and extended his own arm to escort her in the traditional changing of the partners. It was supposed to signify the trust that both parties felt for each other when the representative leader was put into the care of the host country's protection.

But it's more symbolic than anything. Relena thought ruefully, eyeing the naked weapons that the guards held as they walked past. There are so many weapons in this room alone, and all ready to cut us down at His Excellency's whim. Trust has become a thing of past and memory.

The exchange of traditional greetings and dining would take more than three hours; Relena knew from experience that these things were usually long-winded and full of hidden barbs and tests from both parties. Already Dorothy and Trieze were beginning their verbal dance and clever manipulation with words even before the actual congregation sat down to review the treaty. It would get even more abstract once they entered the committee room.

She relaxed unconsciously into a soldier's half-resting stance, legs braced slightly apart with her fingers folded lightly at her back as she stood at a small distance behind Dorothy's chair. The wall was at her back and at this vantage-point, she would be able to see the entire room all at once to scan for any danger. Hilde, electing to stand at the other end of the table near Quatre, looked frankly bored and disgusted beneath her veneer of polite discretion.

 Relena sighed and settled on her heels. It was going to be a long night.

 

 

SANQ TERMS APPENDIX:

In'shala di'naku Sanq -easy (or literally: no trouble), child of Sanq (calming command used to indicate a friend or at least, not an enemy. The reversal of that command is Com'andira di'Prelate: Fight for the Prelate. Or if one wishes to indicate caution, he can also use the phrase Shala-kan, di'naku Sanq- trouble approaches, child of Sanq.)

Dacra: a dacra is what it sounds like, a dagger. It is specially curved at the end to resemble almost a hook so when dragged diagonally across a surface, the hook will catch and tear into the material.

Foster sib: in Sanq culture, in order to ensure loyalty and peace in the Great Houses, each House is required to send a child to be fostered out to each of the other houses, so in theory, everyone is related by blood or by foster-bond. In doing so, war can be averted since the bonds of blood-kin and foster-kin are almost equally strong, making for amiable relations.

 

AN: *Sable grinz* M'having fun with this; I swear, Relena needs more of a fighting role in some of the stories! *poutz and mumblez* Just because she's a pacifist doesn't mean she's weak. Quatre's a pacifist and he's not weak.

Muse: she's ranting again. Ignore her. I've had to deal with this for DAYS...and then she wonders why I take so many vacations.

Sable: And besides, didn't Heero say that she's the strongest person he knew?! And with all those death threats, you'd think she'd finally learned to use at least a gun or something. Maybe a stun prod???

(fifteen minutes later she finally runs out of things to say)

*ahem* Well anywayz, luv ya dearly minna! Here's a little preview on the next part and please review!

 

Outtake:

His chair slammed backwards, careening into wall with a loud bang. Obsidian eyes glittered furiously and his chest heaved as he drew his breath in. Relena was already on her feet, body interposed between Chang Wufei and his wrath at her foster sibling, but he merely sneered at this new "threat".

"This is a convention of fools and weaklings!" He yelled. He braced his hands on the table, looking at those of the Dominion Convention with a contemptuous eye. "How can we ally ourselves with them, these...these pacifists! They talk long and hard, but at the first hint of Mid-land invasion, they will tuck their tails between their legs and flee to the other side! How strong can an army comprised of onna be?" His voice rose above the suspicious mutterings of both his own warriors and the Sanq Preventers, "How can pacifists fight?!"

Dorothy's voice overrode Wufei's, shrill and furious as two bright spots of anger touched her cheeks. "Women can fight as well as any man, you pathetic Lordling! And pacifists fight when our land, our people are in danger! Nothing is more important to us than that! I would gladly give my life in service of the Prelate and my people!"

"Words!" Wufei spat, "Put your sword where your mouth is, Ambassador Catalonia. I assure you, on any field, at any time, I can beat any of these weaklings you call Preventers."

Cat's eyes narrowed dangerously as Dorothy drew herself out of her chair. She trembled with barely suppressed rage as her hand groped for the missing sword at her side. "I'll fight-"

"Unfortunately that is impossible." A new voice cut into the shouting match, calm and authoritative. Relena bowed formally to the committee. "Lady Dorothy, my orders are to make sure that you remain safe throughout this journey."

"Captain, I-"

"Therefore, I am prepared to defend the honor of Lady Catalonia and my unit by the power of sword and steel." Azure eyes swung to clash with dark, derisive glare on the other side of the table. "The choice of weapons is mine."