AN: *pounces on readers* O - H - A - Y- O!!!!!!! *dustbunnies purr loudly* hello, minna! This is the next part of "Prelate's War" and dankeshien for ur reviews... =^_^=. N'wayz, twilight, dis is for u! Let the story begin! *pause* well...continue, anyway...

 

The Prelate's War Chapter Three

Duels andDeaths?

He was watching her again.

Relena took a deep breath and forced herself to return his gaze with what she hoped was nonchalant acknowledgement. Unfortunately, she had the feeling that her features betrayed her suspicion.

He's not supposed to be watching me, she thought uneasily. I'm just the bodyguard.

She drew on a wellspring of calm to mask the discomfiture that she felt; he knew something was going on and that she wasn't going to give him anymore clues by acting like a guilty child. It had been like this ever since they had arrived. He would follow her every movement with his cold Prussian gaze, standing in the shadows of the draperies or across the room from her, just looking at her as if he could see every single emotion that flitted through her mind. But even Dominion warriors couldn't read minds...could they?

It was unnerving, but he couldn't know anything; he was only trying to intimidate her. That wouldn't work, of course. Drawing herself up proudly, she raised her brow coolly, attempted to stare him down, but the admonishing glare seemed to roll over his shoulders like a cloud of dissipating smoke. It didn't affect him the way it should...was he amused?! He wasn't supposed to be amused for love of Inshala! Granted, she never thought that he would be cowed, but...no she must have imagined the flicker in his eyes because the rest of his expression hadn't changed in the slightest. Besides, Dominion warriors wouldn't know humor if it sat on their lap and flapped a rubber chicken around.

They'd probably think it was an enemy and take a blade to the chicken. She thought darkly. And then eat it afterwards. Raw.

Relena realized that she had a slight glower painted across her face and immediately smoothed her features into a façade of neutral serenity that she had carefully cultivated in all her years at Court. It was her "politician's face" of infinite patience and firm conviction. But she wasn't feeling patient or full of righteous conviction; she felt like a halcyon on the waves of the storm.

Totally vulnerable.

She didn't like the feeling. Upon realizing that she was uneasy, she had immediately tried to isolate the cause of the problem, weighing each factor with professional objectivity and had come to the conclusion that he was making her feel this way. For some reason, around him she couldn't summon the real peace that usually came with the mask of composure and no one should have been able to crack the mask. Even as a child, she could always find her balance, her inner calm that soothed and counseled her...and he was disrupting everything!

Gritting her teeth, she gave him cordial nod, and turned her attention back to the proceeding verbal bantering as Wufei and Dorothy darted words about each other like the quick flicks of dancing rapiers. A quick glance showed that the talks were not going as well as one would have hoped. Dorothy's usual imperturbable front had turned a fine edge towards sarcasm and Wufei's constant jabs about the improbability of warrior women were making this worse.

Relena thinned her lips, wondering again why Dorothy wasn't more tactful. Instead, she caught Quatre's eye and gave a curt gesture with her hand.

He closed his eyes in understanding and turned back to Dorothy and Wufei, a soothing smile flitting across his earnest face. "Lord Chang, Lady Catalonia. You are both weary. Perhaps we can continue discussions-"

Wufei stood up abruptly, a set expression on his face as he glared furiously at Dorothy. His chair slammed backwards, careening into wall with a loud bang and his hand immediately went for the sword bound at his waist. Before he had fully drawn a breath in, Relena was already on her feet, body interposed between Chang Wufei and his wrath at her foster sibling, but he merely sneered at this new "threat".

"There will not be any more 'discussions'! This is a convention of fools and weaklings!" He growled. He braced his hands on the table, looking at those of the Dominion Convention with a contemptuous eye. "How can we ally ourselves with them, these...these pacifists? They talk long and hard, but at the first hint of Mid-land invasion, they will tuck their tails between their legs and flee to the other side! How strong can an army comprised of onna be?" His voice rose above the suspicious mutterings of both his own warriors and the Sanq Preventors, "How can pacifists fight?!"

Before Relena could calm the situation with a word or action, Dorothy's voice was already overriding Wufei's, shrill and furious as two bright spots of anger touched her cheeks. "Women can fight as well as any man, you pathetic Lordling! And pacifists fight when our land, our people are in danger! Nothing is more important to us than that! I would gladly give my life in service of the Prelate and my people!"

"Words!" Wufei spat, "Put your sword where your mouth is, Ambassador Catalonia. I assure you, on any field, at any time, I can beat any of these weaklings you call Preventors."

Relena felt anger bubbling within her, breaking amber droplets across the surface of her cerulean eyes although her face was as imperturbable as ever and the rest of her unit rattled their weapons restlessly. She clenched the Agiel in her hand until the chain cut into her palm, then stood up slowly to her full height. Dorothy, too looked completely furious as she drew herself out of her chair with barely suppressed rage. Her hand was groping for her missing saber at her waist and she spat contemptuously on the committee table, pushing her heavy platinum blonde hair from her face.

"I'll fight you, you-"

Relena had had enough.

"Unfortunately that is impossible." Her voice cut into the shouting match, calm and authoritative, causing all eyes to swivel towards her. Relena bowed frigidly to the committee. "Lady Dorothy, my orders are to ensure your safety throughout this journey."

"Captain-"

"However Lord Chang, you have besmirched the honor of both my unit and my Lady and foster sister, thus casting a stain over the Sanq Kingdom that cannot be cleansed without a duel." She drew her satin glove from her hand and let it drop to the marble floor, her azure eyes never leaving his. "The choice of weapons is mine."

Wufei snarled contemptuously, bracing both hands against the table. "Tomorrow morning I will give you your choice, pacifist. And then I will spit you upon my sword like a pig!"

Relena managed a smile and narrowed her eyes in a manner uncannily like her foster sister's. "Really?" Her tone was as dry as the wind that screamed across the harsh plains, "How quaint."

 

***

 

Relena sighed, giving her practice blade a familiar whirl before chopping down once, hard. She glanced down at her sword, watching the silver moon reflect off the cloudy steel. The hilt was shaped in the form of an aquiline bird, spreading its two exquisitely detailed wings that served as the knuckle guard. Its head was thrown back in an ululating cry, as if in defiance of its enemies. It was beautiful, in an abstract and wholly terrible way. For all the careful craftsmanship and subtle artwork of the blade, it was still, and would always be, a weapon.

Something moved at the corner of her eye, and she frowned, in no mood for idle banter. So her voice was notably warning as she said, "State your purpose, then leave."

There was no answer.

Gripping her sword more tightly, she turned slowly to face the shadows, and saw, as she expected, the Dominion warrior Heero Yuy. He watched her with cobalt-blue eyes that gleamed too brightly in the torchlight and suddenly, she wished that she had not so easily dismissed her unit to act all as Dorothy's escort. She had felt the need to think alone tonight...she had not expected him here!

She took a breath and slowly lowered her sword, unclenching her fist one finger at a time. "Sir Yuy. I had not expected to see you. Should you not counsel with Lord Chang tonight?"

"Why?" His answer was rhetorical and the tone of his voice implied that she was foolish for asking such an inane question. Chang Wufei was a master at sword's play in his own right; he would not need the counsel of another, no matter that they were both warriors. Unwillingly, she felt flush creeping through her cheeks and lowered her eyes, biting her lip so as not to snap in reply.

"Indeed, why." Turning her back on him, she raised her sword and began to slice the air neatly around her, imagining her opponent's moves. Pivot, spin, thrust, slash. It was a dance that she had learned long ago and had mastered. But under his eyes, she felt self conscious, and she saw that the sword trembled in her hands. If only he would leave!

"Why are you fighting tomorrow?" His voice cut across her concentration again, flat, monotonous, without the slightest accent of curiosity. "No one would think less of you if you yield."

Relena fumbled in her third strike as she turned incredulous cerulean eyes on him, almost dropping her sword altogether. "No one would think less of me? I would think less of myself, Sir Yuy! I do not know how it is done here, but I am a Preventer, the elite guard of the Sanq Kingdom. I do not yield, as you say." Relena looked back up at the stars, as if she were speaking to them or herself, perhaps. "It would shame my people..."

"Your people?"

"It would shame me! The warriors of Sanq have their honor even if those of your country think otherwise!" Stung by the implied criticism in his bland query, she gave him a slight jerk of her head, and sheathed her sword. Spinning on a heel, she walked from the courtyard only to feel his fingers loosely encircling her wrist, pulling her to a stop. She stiffened, but her voice was calm, controlled, as she said coolly, "Release me at once, Sir Yuy."

Heero said softly, "He means to kill you."

"If he can, then he deserves my blood." Relena replied. A grim smile thinned her lips making her look old and world weary, "I submit that Dominion warriors are strong, but as I have seen your style of fight, you have never bothered to see mine, giving me the advantage tomorrow." Her smile grew wider, perhaps even a little bitterer, "After all, I am only a weak Sanq pacifist...how could I possibly defeat a Dominion warrior?"

"You could have used your other weapon." He countered quietly, "The one that Wufei does not know how to use." When she looked at him with blank confusion, he reached forward, lifting the golden chain about her neck with his forefinger.

Relen jerked her head back, letting the chain fail back against her chest. The first beginnings of anger touching her face as she snapped, "What do you take me for? A zegal? To do so would be unfair to him for he has never seen the Agiel used. I might as well take a blade to his back for it would be the same thing! What," She spat the word, "justice is there then?"

His face inscrutable, he continued ruthlessly, "And if you die-"

"I do not plan to." She caught his eyes squarely, steadily. "I do have a mission to accomplish after all. Now, Sir Yuy, I request that you release my hand."

He did, but moved around so that he faced her. Carefully and precisely, he bowed, placing his fingers lightly over his chest. She stared at him, uncertainty making her stand rooted to her position, and he raised his head, his features once again shuttered by indifference. But there was a softer light to his eyes, and suddenly, he did not look all that intimidating. He close proximity was doing wonderfully well in shattering her nerves however, causing her to step back nervously.

"Position your sword an inch higher than you are. Your guard is too low, Lady Peacecraft."

And then he was gone, leaving her more to think of than swords and death.

 

***

 

The day shone dully, the gleam of the sun masked by clouds that drifted lazily across the sky and Relena rubbed her bloodshot eyes. She had not gotten much rest the day before; Yuy and pre-dawn stressing, had both made her nervous and jittery. And those nerves were going to get her killed, or at least severely injured in the duel. Closing her eyes, she initiated a mental calming technique, laying both palms flat against her thighs as she breathed in and out slowly, counting her heartbeats. She let the world recede from her even as her other senses expanding, taking in the soft sound of feet going past her and the distant whinny of the horses stamping their feet restlessly. Beneath her, the sands of the practice yard were steadily warming and she felt the heat of the sun tap playfully at her face, drawing forth beads of sweat.

A voice grated against her focus, bringing her back to the real world and she glanced up into concern-filled green eyes. "Ready, Capt'n?"

"Not really, but who ever is?" Relena asked and tried to smile, but the lines around her mouth and eyes betrayed her tension. Odin opened his mouth to argue but Relena forestalled his objections with a shake of her head. "Don't. I can't be distracted."

Grabbing her sword, she shook the sheath free, leaving it to thump on the ground as she got to her feet. Her face was emotionless, but not so with her eyes; they shimmered with uncertainty and another emotion that she could not or would not name. Perhaps...fear?

Relena tightened her lips, her face pale and set as she turned to her second in command. "Where is Dorothy?"

He jerked his head up once, nodding to the stand where she sat with Quatre on her right and Trieze on he left. Relena nodded, turning her attention back to inspecting her sword.

"Patrol the grounds. Make sure that the Ambassador is safe at all costs." She ordered calmly, "I leave it to you to bring the Preventors safely out of the White Fang Dominion." Should I fail. The unspoken words hung between them like a lodestone and Odin winced. Ignoring the turmoil in his eyes, she snapped salute, gazing levelly at him until he returned her gesture, albeit reluctantly.

Reached out a hand, he gripped her shoulder firmly, almost painfully, but she barely noticed as he bent near her ear. In a hoarse whisper, he said, "Don't be stupid, Cap'n. Let th'bastard make th'first mistake."

"His first mistake," She replied softly, "was to not take us seriously." She watched him talking with his warriors, a smile of contempt flashing once or twice in her direction. She smiled meditatively, "He will eat his words."

Then gently dislodging his hand from her shoulder, she turned and walked towards the center of the ring, raising her sword in a formal salute. The ramadal, dressed in red and black, acknowledged her, calling, "Challenger Captain Peacecraft of the Sanq is ready." Relena fought the urge to glare at him for that slight nuance in his voice that had the Dominion warriors chuckling maliciously.

Wufei tossed off his white mantle, signaling his readiness as well. Up close, she could see the slender muscles of his arms, and the coiled grace in which he carried himself. He would use speed, she guessed, and his sword was heftier than hers, which would make it slightly more unwieldy but more powerful.

"Bow."

Relena obeyed, lowering her body, but Wufei just sneered coolly, "I will not take this fight seriously. She is a pacifist and more, nothing but a woman." Relena clenched her fist so hard that her nails gouged into her skin, causing her palms to bleed before the match even began.

I will not let his words get under my skin, She repeated silently to herself. I will _show_ him the error of his words. I will make him believe. She raised her head and commented softly, "You do your rank no honor, Chang, with your propensity for the dramatic."

"Keep your notions of honor to yourself, onna." Wufei retorted curtly, "and raise your sword if you dare."

Silently, Relena saluted him, touching the tip of her blade to her forehead before dropping to a crouch. Her eyes never left his as he took up his own stance, bringing his left leg forward. The ramadal nodded crisply, then moved out of the way of the combatants before yelling, "Fight!"

Instantly, Chang dove for her midsection, swiping his blade horizontally in an effort to finish this match quickly and probably fatally, but Relena had been anticipating that and blocked vertically, turning his blade away with a sharp clang of metal on metal. Then, she flipped her wrist and sent her sword a hair's breath away from his face, causing him to stumble back.

"A child's trick!" He yelled furiously but Relena merely smiled, readying herself. That child's trick had nearly worked.

Quickly, she launched forward in a series of jabs that forced him on the offensive but he took the blows easily, almost as if her attacks were nothing but the light brush of butterfly wings. The grace of his actions wasted no extra movements, each block was exactly where it should be without any extra swinging and Relena realized suddenly that he was trying to tire her out by allowing her to attack first. Her breath was already coming in ragged pants but he didn't even seem the least bit winded.

He's much stronger than I am...I must finish this quickly.

Reversing her grip, she brought the sword downwards, causing the blades to skid off one another as blue sparks fell to the ground. She shook the sweat out of her eyes and in that split second, he dislodged his saber from hers and threw himself forward. The steel edge kissed her cheek, opening up a thin line of blood before she could parry and she hissed, ignoring, for the moment, the pain. A few locks of her hair fell to the ground, golden coils that she did not have time to mourn because he was already attacking, taking advantage of her unbalanced position to bring his sword sweeping towards her kneecaps.

She swung downwards with all her might, the impact jarring her arms painfully, then continued on with the second phase of the Crescent Moon drill which was to swing the sword upwards again to cut at his exposed neck. She grinned, briefly feeling the adrenaline high course through her veins.

This wasn't as bad as she had previously expectedshe might win this bout yet!

A flash of steel caught her eye, one that was not the product of Wufei's sword and with the instincts of a bodyguard, she dropped her sword to push him out of the way. He stumbled and fell onto his back with a snarled curse.

What the hell-

Suddenly pain exploded in her mind, a line of fire that started from her the back of her hand to her shoulder and she muffled a scream, staring dumbly at her arm as blood welled from the wound, spattering the dust beneath her. Her gaze traveled to Wufei's face, which was white with horror as he first looked at the silver dart imbedded in the dirt where he had been standing, then at the bloody tip of his sword. Thinking that her actions had been a deception of some kind, he had gone on with the battle, bringing his blade upwards before his mind had any chance to register that she no longer held her own weapon.

For a second, Relena stared down at him, shock and accusation warring with the pain in her eyes. She swayed slightly as if she was attempting to stay up from sheer will, but exhaustion and blood loss were catching up to her and she slumped to her knees, gripping her arm numbly. Arms encircled her waist, preventing her from completely falling and she stared at the anguished sable eyes in dazed wonderment. Why did Chang look so tortured? He had won after allhad she been too slow to push him out of the way?

"Dai..." Gray was invading the edges of her vision and she shook her head in a futile attempt to keep herself lucid. "Daijabou, Chang-san?"

But she never got to hear his answer. Unconsciousness had come to embrace her like an erstwhile lover and she slumped into its silky fold, grateful as the pain ebbed and flowed away like water out of an urn.

 

Tbc...

 

AN: *sweatdrop* aie...gomen, minna? >.< But *cough* yeah...now, okay, I know that this is kinda a cliffhanger...but...but...Twilight, you can't say anything!! You gave us three or four in a row!! N'wayz, I'll try to finish the next chapter soon, but I have like four fics going (this one, two CCS ones, and a Weiss Kreux fic).

 

Shout outs go to:

Chipmunkcheeks: *laughs nervously* don't give them ideas of death threats, onegai...I don't want to die just yet

Lillia Karasu: ^____^ I hope u like this chapter...did you get the author's alert? (well , my version, anywayz)

Kristine: yeah, it changed...but u haven't read this part yet, ne?

Meio-chan: ^_^ tee hee...Rel-sama did fight Fie-chan...she didn't exactly win, that's all-_-;;

Silver Wing: Thank u for your review...^_^ It made me happy...I hope you liked this part!

Mama-sama: here's the next chapter, I'll put a little Hilde x Duo in the upcoming chapters for u!

Goldberry: *shrinks away* ok...gomen nasai, twilight, but really, u can't say anything! Remember all the cliffs ur readers fell from? It was like constant ow ow ow...>.< and when is the next part to your fic coming out!!??? *screams* YOU CAN'T LEAVE US THERE!!!

Ley: *hugz back* luv ya too! And if I scrap the story now, I think I would have at least one person threatening me with permanent extinction, lol.

 

Thanks for reading! Your support keeps me writing and continuously wracking my brains, =^_^= I'll try my best to come out with the next chapter post haste, but I have three other chapters for three other fics to write...not to mention homework and college essays (WHY DIDN'T UCLA SEND OUT THEIR PORTFOLIO REQUIREMENTS SOONER????) and crap...:P Luv ya'll and I hope you liked!

 

 

Sanq Dictionary:

Inshala: Goddess of Mercy

Zegal: mercenary, one without honor

Ramadal: one that judges ceremonies/duels