Disclaimer: Now...if I they were mine...would I REALLY need to write about them?? But if u don't recognize the names, the characters are mine.

For those of you who read Winter's Parting (thanx!) this series is bound to be much more serious, with a lot more character development and anguish. In other words: This fic will NOT be about a bed of roses. So if you hate to see your fav. Gundam pilots suffering, I don't suggest you read this fic. Thanx, and enjoy!

Saber's Kiss Chapter One

 

Dorothy stumbled onto the rocky landing, cutting her palms against the sharp bits of gundanium ore as she fell to the ground. The sun shone dimly in the distance, a brooding, foreboding sight as the newest 'recruits' were coldly shoved off their transports like a mass unloading of animals or baggage. Some were screaming, crying hysterically for their loved ones or people they had been separated from on the trip. Dorothy did neither. She stood up coldly, her finely chiseled lips firm and unyielding though her dress was ripped and stained with the crimson evidence of blood. This was the price of battle. It was a lesson that she had learned well during the war.

"Move!" At that cracking order, they were herded into a desolately gleaming building, all made of metal rods and spires. Once inside, they were stripped to the skin by crudely sneering guards. Showerheads sprayed harsh disinfectant saturated water on the frightened masses, stinging the eyes and any lacerations like acid on the skin. Somewhere to her right, a girl whimpered in pain and embarrassment, cowering as she sobbed into her hands. Dorothy hesitated, then touched the girl's shoulder, forcing her fingers away from her eyes.

"Don't show any weakness! They'll know you're beat then!" The girl looked at her in blank terror, then whimpered again huddling closer to Dorothy as a lash hit the water near their feet.

"No talking!" The press of bodies seemed almost claustrophobic, the stink of sweat and fear tangible even after the showers were turned off. They were given a bare minute to find and dress in crude coveralls before they were led into the grand hall, forced into rows and columns. The girl was still clutching at Dorothy's shoulder tightly, her eyes wide as she cried silent tears that slid slowly down her cheeks.

Dorothy glared at her coldly, hissing, "What's your name?"

"M-mary, m-ma'am..."

"Listen, Mary. Stop snivelling like a coward and stand up straight! Do you think that your tears will get you anywhere?" Dorothy deliberately injected as much sarcasm and contempt as she could into her voice as she forced the other girl into line, glaring at her until she straightened up from her defeated slump. "We are not here for a pleasure trip, Miss Mary. Remember that and act accordingly!"

Mary threw her a wounded look, helplessness crossing her face. "I-I want..." She broke down into uncontrolled sobbing and Dorothy glanced quickly around her. Sure enough a savagely smiling man was bearing down upon them, a forcewhip in his hands. He was a barrel-chested man with thick, meaty arms and a well-muscled torso. His eyes were cruel with anticipation as he towered above the weeping girl, one hand grabbing her by the collar of her shirt and shaking her ceaselessly.

"You think you're gonna cry your way through this, do ya? I don't want another sound from ya!" He slapped Mary across her cheek and she cried meowed piteously, hands upraised against further attack.

"Please-"

"Did I give you permission to talk, you little bitch?!" He slapped her again, throwing her on the ground.

Dorothy couldn't watch any longer demanding with imperious authority. "Really, now is that necessary, you misbegotten bastard?" He whirled towards her quickly enough, leaving his victim for another target. He sneered appraisingly at the trim body that was hidden beneath the bulky clothes.

"Why, your kinda cute, babe." He grabbed her hair, pulling her head back to face him and Dorothy spat at him, as an acrid stench wafted from his breath. "If yer nice to me, I might even letcha do somethin...easier."

"Why thank you, but I would never deal with a cretin such as yourself!" Dorothy hissed back, kneeing him in the groin with stunning accuracy. He let go of her, doubling over in pain as the other guards roared in laughter. With a predatory smile of her own she purred, "It's men like you who give soldiers a bad name in wars. You can't fight...except to pick on those you consider helpless."

"You bitch!" He raised his whip, but before it could crash down on her, a voice clipped coldly, "We need them as workers, Santos. They are not to be used as your personal whores!" Dorothy narrowed her eyes, recognizing the voice though she merely let a sardonic twist touch her lips.

"So...Miss Catalonia. How are you enjoying the asteroid mining project?"

"The flight food was slightly stale." Dorothy flung back defiantly, squaring her shoulders to meet the new threat.

"My, what spirit you have, Miss Catalonia...just like that pilot."

Quatre... "What did you do to him, you-"

"Now now, Miss Catalonia, no name calling! Your time here has already worn off that well-mannered veneer has it? Your friend is here," He smirked, "or he was here. " Dorothy refused to let her heart drop. He was a Gundam pilot. He could take care of himself..."Now, if you will excuse me, Miss Catalonia, I must address my board. Feeding and lodging accomodations, you know."

"One question, sir..." Dorothy refused to let her deadly smile drop as her eyes narrowed into shadowed slits, "Who are you again?"

 The man paused, surprised, though he tried not to show it. "Kurdan Liur. Why?"

Dorothy smiled venomously, "So I will know who to kill when I get free, Mr. Liur..."

***

The beating had been worth it. Every snap of the whip. Dorothy's smile had never wavered, even as the force of the blows drove her to her knees, she had kept her coldly amused façade up. "Yuy is a bad influence on you, Catalonia..." she mocked herself as she slumped onto one of the beds...if it could indeed be called that. The mattress was little more than a worn cushion on top of rock with a thin rag serving as the blanket. However, it was clean and the quarters were serviceably warm. It wouldn't do for the workers to get sick, now would it?

"Hey, who're you?" A shadow fell across the doorway and Dorothy peered upwards warily, although any other person would have only seen sardonic amusement in the twist of her lips.

"I was assigned here."

The man sneered, moving over so several more people could file silently into the room, "A newbie. You're a newbie, aren't cha? Well, I'm Chris, this is the gang, Siara, Keele, and Tor. I head this work group and you're gonna work as hard as the rest of us come time to sort."

"Sorting is it?"

"Yeah." He opened his hands and in the dim lighting, Dorothy could see the crisscross scars that ran across his hands. "Sort rock from ore. Cuts the hands, makes ya bleed. But you'll toughen up soon enough."

Dorothy smirked, "I refuse to work for that organization. All they can do is beat me."

"Nah, you'll work all right." Chris's eyes were cold and determined as he regarded Dorothy, "Ya think cus you won't work, youíre the only one that gets punished, sister? Aint so. One don't work, we all get whipped. I ain't letting my people get whipped cuz some f*cking newbie don't wanna work." He advanced menacingly on her, but the girl, Siara, grabbed his arm, hauling him back.

"Hold up on it Chris. You won't get any more work outta her by beating the shit outta her! They tried that already. Didn't you hear about the beating today? She's the girl, kept on smiling through the whole damn thing and din't say a word after."

"A girl?" Chris looked at Dorothy incredulously, and she merely shrugged, her eyes watchful. "A girl withstood that beating? Impossible!"

Dorothy snorted, "One day, Mr. Chris, I should introduce you to a man named Chang Wufei. I believe you would get along with him very well. He believes women are worthless as well."

"Chang Wu-girl, you lie. How do you know a Gundam pilot?"

Dorothy laughed rising, with some difficulty, to her feet, and swept a mocking curtsy, fingers touching her lips. "Dorothy Catalonia, at your service. Once of OZ under the Romafeller Foundation, once of the White Fang under Mr. Milliardo Peacecraft, now the protector and companion of Miss Releena Dorlain in the Sanq Kindom." She stood up, her eyes sardonic. "After such a history, sir, a little beating such as that cannot hurt too much."

The others were looking at her in awkward amazement, trying to decide whether she was lying or not before Siara counter, "Well, Miss High and Mighty, whatcha doin in the dregs with us common folk?"

Dorothy shrugged evasively, "I had a mission I was to complete upon finding this base." She looked around her and laughed sarcastically, "Well, I found it. Now I'm not sure what I'm to do. My instructions did not include the possibility of capture, since it is believed by my colleagues that the ship I was currently on contained the best technological advances ever."

Siara smiled cynically, "Yeah, probably the best legal crap, but we ain't dealing with that crowd anymore, Miss Dorothy."

"Please, Dorothy will do." Dorothy looked around her, then back at them, "It seems I am as much a prisoner in this wretched place as you are."

They looked at her warily before Chris gestured dismissively at her. "Whatever. Just remember, Dorothy, ya goin ta do the work that we do."

She hesitated, then nodded curtly, "It seems I must, since Miss Releena does not like her companions being the cause of pain to other people. I assure you that I am able enough to do my own share."

"Thas all we need to know." The others had relaxed slightly at the release from tension amongst them. "Now flip on yer stomach. Ya got some nasty cuts there an' if we don't treat em' now, no any assurances they won't get infected later. We need every one here to work every day, sick r' not."

Dorothy did as she was told, her platinum blonde hair obscuring her features as the fell around her face in a golden veil. "Really," Her voice was dry, but there was a touch of genuine friendliness that few understood in her voice, "You are much too kind."

"Shaddup."

 

Author's Notes:

Wow, really dark here in comparison to the other parts. I don't know what came over me, just feeling kinda depressed, I guess. Totally NOT like my usual self! Dorothy's majorly OOC cuz I didn't know how to portray them in this kind of situation, so I tried my best! PLEASE REVIEW THIS!!! I'm getting slightly discouraged at the lack of reviews guys, so I might just start another series instead of finishing this one. Give me your flames, criticisms, comments, etc.