Disclaimer: Not mine. Is it yours? How much would it cost? *picks at the lint in her pocket?*

*Sable nods happily at NightHeart.* Yep. You picked up on that, didn't you? In case any one else wants to know, I'm talking about the Soldier's Oath from the last chapter. The idea is taken from an Oathbreaker spell that Kethry used in Oathbound by Mercedes Lackey. She is my number one author and I totally, totally love her work! I just read that particular series, so a lot of the implications are there. Well, that's my miscellaneous bit of info for today! Now for the feature presentation:

Saber's Kiss Chapter Ten

 

She was sleeping. Heero slipped in her window with the moonlight, drawing the pane shut with a definite click. Only a hint of light filtered through the translucent curtains, gleaming and dancing in her honey blonde hair like mischievous sprites. Her face, innocent, yet wise, was relaxed in her slumber and Heero smiled slightly as he noticed the object clutched tightly in her arms. It was a small bear with fur downy soft and white as the first winter's snow. It's blue eyes gleamed like two points of light, almost exactly the same color as Releena's own, and clutched to it's chest was a satin-black heart with the simple words Aishiteru printed in silver thread embossed in it.

She had thrown away the last gift he had given her when he had broken her heart again. So he had bought her a new one, white for the strength, purity, and innocence he saw in her. Predictably, she had cried upon receiving it. Unlike the other times however, they had been tears of joy, something that Heero wanted her to continue to feel. But...He sighed quietly, seating himself lightly on the edge of her bed, a finger tracing the contours of her beloved face, her eyes, her classic Grecian cheekbones, her softly tinted lips...he lived only to see her smile again, and she knew that. That was the understanding that reached deeper than words.

"Heero?" Her sleepy voice emerged amidst tousled blonde hair as she reacted to his touch, a pair of cobalt blue eyes peering drowsily up at him. "What're you doing here, Heero?"

"Quatre's and Dorothy have been listed officially missing."

Releena sighed, sitting up in bed. She had expected this, hadn't wanted to think that this could happen, but she knew her perfect soldier too well. He protected what was his with a cold passion, whether it be lover or friend. "You want to go after them, don't you Heero?" Releena leaned against him, her arms clasping loosely about his waist. She had been thinking about this for a long time and still, she could only feel torn at Heero's unspoken question.

She didn't want to lose him again. She had only found him, but Dorothy and Quatre were her friends...her best friends. They had always been there for her, whether it had been through depression, or through another board meeting. When she had sunk into the depths of hellish misery, it had been those two who had gone on their self-assigned mission to find Heero and bring her life back again. And Heero wanted to go...wanted to go badly. Even if he didn't admit it to her, he wanted to find his friend.

Releena smiled sadly to herself. There was really no choice...it had already been decided for her. Brushing back his soft moss brown hair from his face, she cupped his cheek, saying simply, "Come back to me, Heero?"

He didn't answer. The perfect soldier made no promises he could not keep. There was a slight, warm pressure against her lips, and then he was gone without a trace, leaving as silently as he had come. Releena sighed absently, hugging the white bear to her tightly.

"I love you, Heero. Don't do anything foolish..." She picked up the book she had been reading, her eyes falling on a single line of script on the last page.

"You do not hobble your hound, your horse, your hawk, your lover, or your she'nedren. Love must live free." ~ Mercedes Lackey

***

 *she'nedren: I guess the equivalent would be "sister" but it's more of an adoptive sister sworn by blood and approved by the Goddess. Sheesh, this is hard to explain. Yeah, well, that's basically what it means.

K' Some people got a little pissed when Releena threw away the bear in Winter's parting. So I decided to have Heero get her another one. Even though this is essentially a DC X QW story, I'm still adding in sentimental parts for my favorite couple!! I know this is a really short, dare I call it, chapter, but I'm really busy tonight. Also, I would like to respond to a flame I got recently:

HOW DARE YOU DO A DOROTHY/QUATRE FIC????? even though i love hy/rp and dm/hs, THAT IS STILL NO REASON TO DO ONE OF THESE!!!! I WOULD RATHER SUPPORT 3+4 THAN SUUPORT QRW/DC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And as for the review by ruby red dragon, I DO dare to do a Dorothy / Quatre fic. I like them as a couple, even if YOU don't. And I don't think you have a right to criticize me on my tastes. Although you may hate Dorothy, or Quatre, or both of them, I do like Dorothy because she's much stronger and much more KIND than anyone believes. I asked for flames, (I think I got one), so I'm just responding and taking your review into consideration, as I said I would. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll stop this fic just because you don't like it. I'm sorry. But perhaps you may wish to refrain from reading this series from now on. And on a side note, there is nothing wrong with Trowa and Quatre pairings at all. In fact, I've read some very good fics that have that pairing. I'm only using Dorothy and Quatre as my main characters because I want to. Thank you. ~FierySable

R&R please. And yes, I'm still accepting flames J . It's only fair, of course.