Disclaimer: Everyone should really know by now that Gundam Wing will never belong to me, so they should also know that I will never be able to claim ownership. So there!

 

Forever Warriors
Chapter One: The ShinYarikata

 

AC 200

 

Quatre tried to casually lean against the stair railing as he watched the party below him. He had a feeling deep inside that something was not right, but he could not quite figure it out. His unease caused him and the others to check the perimeter not once or even twice but three times. They never found anything. He thought he saw Heero go outside to make one more check on his own, but that seems to have also proven to be a futile search.

 

Quatre now watched as Heero returned with a look of solid determination written on his usually unexpressive features. He was apparently very uneasy and the others were not much better.

 

Trowa was leaning against the far wall in constant alert. Wufei and Sally were on the dance floor keeping an eye on everyone around them. Duo was sitting at a table on the far side of the room keeping his eyes peeled, and, all the while, keeping Hilde within arms reach. Zechs stationed himself on the outside perimeter, while Noin kept watch in the surveillance room. Heero, of course, was now positioned in the shadows keeping his visual on everything around him, and, at the same time, making sure the Vice Foreign Minister never left his sight.

 

Actually they were all keeping Relena in sight. She was the honored guest at this function, which made her a primary target.

 

This silly affair that the delegates liked to call a "party" seemed simple enough on the outside, but looks are always deceiving. Quatre knew that all too well.

 

He hated attending these functions, but he usually had to be at these things for one reason or another. However, tonight was the first time in about two years that he had to attend undercover. Normally, he only attended to benefit his family's business. Tonight though he was called in as a Preventer as an extra precaution, just like Trowa and Duo were.

 

Tonight was the five-year anniversary of the peace signing at the end of the Eve Wars. It could attract any terrorist group wanting to make a point. This event could spell disaster, if anyone did try to cause trouble. One single swipe could wipe out every important political figure from Earth and the Colonies. Why did people always think these kinds of parties were a good idea?

 

However, Quatre's unease had to do with more than just this ridiculous party. That was what he was having a hard time figuring out. Normally, he would be down below mingling into the party and deciding the best course of action from there, but tonight was different. He couldn't exactly put his finger on it. But, Quatre had this awful feeling that he was about to loose someone very special to him. The only other time he felt this exact feeling was the day his father died, and he was determined to make damn sure nothing happened tonight.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

BC (or if you prefer to be politically correct then it is BCE)

 

Mia walked right beside her sister as they continued through the forest. Lila had a somber expression about her, and it made Mia wonder why Lila seemed so uneasy about the whole situation. Mia had confidence in her sister, but Lila was extremely tense. It made her start to wonder if this was all such a good idea after all.

 

"Lila, what's wrong? Why so gloomy? I believe that you can do this, so why don't you seem as confident in yourself?"

 

"It has nothing to do with confidence. It is more like guilt."

 

"Huh?" Mia asked totally confused.

 

Lila sighed and continued. "What I am about to do will help us, but it will most likely destroy someone else. That is why, when mother told me about this ritual, I hoped I would never have to be the one to do it. But alas, she knew, just as I think I have known since that day, that I am the one that must do this."

 

"Sister, what are you talking about?"

 

"This ceremony, The Shin Yarikata, will bring to us the Warrioress of Strength and the Warrior Queen that we've all been waiting for. However, in doing so it takes them away from others that probably need them just as much. You see, how I understand it is, all the chosen ones from the prophecy are from another place or maybe even time. In bringing them here, I may not only disrupt the lives of those they are closest to, but I could also change destiny. Which, I might add, does not settle too well in here." She said as she gestured toward her heart. "What if I take them away from someone who needs them more than we do? Do you realize the damage that could cause?"

 

Mia stopped walking then lightly grabbed Lila's arm to make her stop as well. She looked her sister gently in the eyes. "Lila, you have always had the biggest heart I have ever known." She took Lila's hands in hers. "In answer to your question, I can not say what the result will be by bringing them here, but I have a feeling that you know in here " She put Lila's hand back over her heart, and then she placed her hand on top of Lila's. "that you are doing what is right for the greater good."

 

Lila bowed her head with slight relief then she looked back up at Mia with tears in her eyes. "Thank you." She gently whispered.

 

"You're welcome." Mia said giving her a reassuring smile.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

Hilde sat at the table with Duo watching the couples on the dance floor. She knew Duo and the others were worried about something happening, but that did not mean they could not at least try to enjoy themselves a little bit. She had to practically beg Duo to let her come. He regarded tonight as a mission and when he is in that frame of mind he is almost as bad as Heero.

 

Her fun-loving Duo was in there, she just needed to bring him out because she really wanted to enjoy this time with her friends. This was their first trip to Earth in almost a year. She didn't even think anyone even knew that her and Duo where now engaged. Well, it was only just last week, but still, that was beside the point.

 

She hardly ever gets to see any of them. Quatre is always busy with his family's business. Trowa and Catharine always travel with the circus, but she at least gets to see them when the circus comes to L2. Wufei and Sally are always busy with the Preventers. Heero, of course, is hardly ever seen by anyone, but she knew he was never far from Relena's side. Even if he isn't visible, he is there. And finally, Relena, who is her closest friend, is probably the hardest of all to get in touch with. The poor girl never has a moment of peace. If she is not being hounded by some political upheaval, then it is the press, and if it isn't the press it is some crazed fan. It was an endless cycle.

 

Hilde watched as the overweight delegate dancing with Relena stepped on her toes again. That had to be what . . . six times in this song alone . . . oops make that seven times . . . that this buffoon has stepped on Relena's feet. 'Her feet have got to be numb by now.' Hilde thought and then cringed for her friend. 'How does she do it? She just keeps smiling and shaking her head at Mr. Mini Blimp. I think I would have had to say something to him by now. I think she has more patience then she is given credit for. I wish I could go save her, but there's no way I can do that without someone getting the wrong idea then printing some ridiculous story in the papers.'

 

She could just see the headlines, PRINCESS WALKS OFF DANCE FLOOR WITH MYSTERIOUS WOMAN. Hilde shuttered. Nope that would not be good at all. Still though, there had to be something she could do to help her friend.

 

Hilde glanced in Duo's direction. He was still scanning the room. Suddenly, an idea came to her.

 

"Duo, sweetie." She said innocently.

 

He turned his head and gave her a smile. "Yeah, babe." He answered.

 

"You know I love you, right?" She smiled.

 

He was now giving her a doubtful look, as if to say, Okay. What do you want?

 

Hilde continued to smile and said. "I have a small favor to ask of you because there's no way I can do it myself." She hesitated a second. "Well, actually it's for a friend."

 

Duo, deciding to play along, gave her an even bigger smile. "Depends on what it is."

 

'There's my Duo.' Hilde thought to herself then said. "I know you don't like to dance to this kind of music, but would you please . . ."

 

Duo quickly cut her off. "Woah. Woah. Woah." He said waving his hands in the air.

 

"What?"

 

"I refuse to go out there just to make a fool of myself. I know you like to dance, but I'll make it up to you. I promise." He said with an almost pleading look that almost said don't make me do it.

 

She sighed then said, "Duo listen. The song is almost over. All I'm asking is for you to go over there and save Relena from a fate worse than death. Tubby over there is going to break her toes, if someone doesn't go rescue her. Just go ask to cut in. Then when the song ends bring her back over here."

 

Duo didn't like the idea, but he knew Hilde was right. Relena really needed help over there. Besides, what good where any of them, if they could not at least save her from people like Tubby.

 

He gave a relenting sigh. "Okay. I'll be right back."

 

He got up and cleverly maneuvered his way through the crowd and onto the dance floor. As he continued to walk in Relena's direction, he saw her poor toes get smashed once again. "Poor girl." He quietly said to himself. He then noticed someone else looking like he wanted to cut in for a dance with her as well.

 

"Humph. Not while I'm around, buddy."

 

He very quickly and quietly maneuvered to Relena's side. "May I cut in, Princess?" He said with a beaming smile.

 

Relena turned around and gave him a genuine smile. "Duo." She then turned toward her dance partner. "Thank you for the wonderful dance, Ambassador Monroe. It was good seeing you again."

 

He nodded. "It was my pleasure." He bowed then walked away.

 

Relena let out a sound of relief once her and Duo started dancing. "Thank you, Duo. You have no idea how bad my feet are killing me."

 

He smiled. "Well, I wouldn't count my chickens before they are hatched, if I were you. I'm not that good at these kind of dances either."

 

She giggled. "But, I'd wager a small fortune to say that you probably don't weigh even a fourth of his weight. Therefore, it won't be nearly as painful."

 

Duo then laughed too. "I think you have a point."

 

As they continued to dance, Relena glanced around the ballroom. "Duo, where's Hilde? I haven't seen her tonight."

 

"Oh. She's right over there, waiting for us to come and join her." He pointed his head in the direction Hilde was sitting.

 

"Really!" She said excitedly but still quietly being careful not to draw attention.

 

"Yeah. She sent me over here to come and rescue you." He said and winked at her.

 

Relena giggled again. "Well, I thank both of you."

 

"Well, you're not out of the woods yet. When the song ends, stay close. I'll get us out of here and back on safer ground."

 

"I wasn't aware that we were in any kind of danger." She said with a teasing smile.

 

Duo smiled back then heard the song come to an end. "Come on."

 

He took her hand and quickly maneuvered them away from the dance floor before anyone else could spot them much less catch them.

 

Relena stayed close and did her best to keep up. Finally, she saw Hilde sitting at a nearby table waiting for them.

 

"Relena!" Hilde happily greeted.

 

"Hilde! Oh. I'm so glad to see you." And the two friends hugged.

 

"How have you been?" Hilde inquired.

 

"Pretty good, and you?"

 

"Great!" Hilde said excitedly then held up her left hand.

 

"Oh my God! Congratulations!" Relena said and hugged her again. "When?"

 

"Last week."

 

Duo smiled as he watched to two of them. "Some things never change."

 

"What?" They both said in unison and turned around at his comment.

 

He raised both hands up in defense. "Nothing." He innocently said.

 

"Hn." Relena replied and glared.

 

"Damn, Lena. How much time exactly have you been spending with soldier boy?" Duo asked.

 

Both Duo and Hilde's eyes widened as they watched Relena actually blush.

 

"You're kidding." Hilde said excitedly.

 

"Um . . . I don't know what you are talking about." Relena said defensively as she crossed her arms and turned her head. She then noticed at the corner of her eye two delegates walking towards them. "Oh. Damnit. I just want one night with friends. Is that too much to ask?"

 

"Nope. Your wish is my command. Follow me." He then offered an arm to each lady. Hilde took his right and Relena took his left.

 

"Just try to at least make it look like we never saw them." She pleaded.

 

"No problem." He smiled.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

Mia continued to collect the firewood as Lila set everything up for the ceremony. It was to take place in a small clearing right in the middle of the forest. By some miracle, they were able to find it. Maybe someone up there was looking out for them. One could only hope.

 

"So, now what can I do to help?" Mia asked as she walked back into the clearing carrying a bundle of large sticks.

 

"Set up the wood in the circle of rocks over there. Set them up in the shape of a small ceremonial bonfire."

 

"Okay." Mia said then turned to watch as Lila once again started mixing a strange powder. "I know this will all turn out like you hope, sister. You can do it." She quietly said to herself then continued on the task she was given.

 

A short while later everything was ready to begin. The moon was in the correct alignment with the mountain behind them, and it cast a brief light over the clearing they were in.

 

Mia stood behind Lila, who was kneeling in front of their bonfire. Lila took the pouch of powder she had mixed earlier and slowly stood up. Then, she chanted the words for the ceremony to begin.

 

"Shin Yarikata, Our Shin Yarikata, through all space and time, nothing can stop that which must be . . ."

 

She raised her hands in the air then stared at the heavens as she continued.

 

" . . . I, the Bringer of Strength, Love, Hope, Death, Silence, Truth, and Justice, call upon the Warrioress of Strength to appear before me . . ."

 

She took a handful of powder from the pouch then threw it in the fire. A small explosion expanded the fire, and it changed into a light blue color. Then, a light of the same blue color came from the fire.

 

" . . . NOW!"

 

The blue light shot up in the sky then quickly disappeared without a trace. Lila started dancing around the fire and chanting a few more words that Mia did not understand.

 

Suddenly, Lila stopped dancing and stared at the fire. She took another handful of powder into her hand. She once again raised her arms toward the heavens.

 

Now that Lila was no longer dancing Mia was able to get a good look at her face, her sister's eyes where the same color as the fire. Mia took a step back from shock. Her sister's normally dark brown eyes were light blue and they seemed to be glowing.

 

"I also call upon the one who holds the key to the future in her heart, our Warrior Queen. Bring her to appear before me . . ."

 

Lila through the powder in to the fire and once again there was a small explosion, which expanded the fire more. Now, the fire was a bright red color. Then, a bright red light slowly came from the fire. Mia managed to catch a glimpse of her sister, and Lila's eyes were now as red as the fire. Then, Lila yelled one final word.

 

" . . . NOW!"

 

The bright red light then shot up into the sky and disappeared just as quickly as the blue one.

 

Mia then watched as Lila once again started dancing around the fire. She could only watch, wait, and be ready for whatever happened next.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

Duo walked with Relena and Hilde. He managed to evade the two delegates that were looking for Relena earlier, but now he had to figure out the safest route to slip outside unnoticed. He knew the rose gardens were Relena's favorite spot, but it was not wise to venture that far from security tonight. However, he also knew they could all use a bit of fresh air for a few minutes, so venturing right outside the back doors should not pose too much of a threat as long as he had proper backup incase he might need it.

 

Heero saw Duo taking the girls outside. He also did not miss the signal Duo gave him to follow. Heero signaled back that he would be right behind. Then, he signaled to Trowa and Quatre that he was changing positions. They both nodded an affirmative and Heero moved to follow Duo.

 

Once outside, they sat on a stone bench with Duo sitting in between Hilde and Relena. All three of them were content just to sit in silence for a few minutes. After a few minutes, Relena finally broke the stillness by getting up to walk closer to the balcony rail. She leaned over the side to look down.

 

"I really wish you wouldn't do that, Ojousan. You're making me nervous." Duo pleaded.

 

"Sorry, Duo. Didn't mean to worry you. I just like looking to see how far down it is."

 

"Well, I guess you can be forgiven." He said with a smile.

 

Relena smiled back then she heard a faint noise behind her. She tensed for a moment, but then she realized who it was. It was her bodyguard, her friend, and also recently her lover. She grinned. She could usually tell when he was near. His presence had a way of wrapping itself around her. It was like being in his protective arms. She grinned a little more because she also figured it had something to do with his cologne.

 

A gentle breeze carried the scent toward her further confirming it was Heero. He usually did not wear cologne, but Relena suspected that he overheard one of her and Hilde's conversations. One day, Relena confessed her favorite male cologne. Then, the next diplomatic function they both attended, he had it on. All night she could not figure out whether it was one of his subtle hints or if it was a coincidence. And, she especially remembers having to fight the urge more than once to keep her hands to herself. He drove her crazy all night, and he must of liked seeing her squirm because he has worn that cologne to every black tie affair since that night.

 

Speaking of attending functions together, this is the first time in the past six months that she has not seen him since they exited the limo. She knew he and the other pilots were extra precautions for tonight, and with good reason, but he usually keeps her within arms reach. She sighed. He apparently reverted back to protecting her from the shadows for tonight.

 

She believed he knew what was best, but he really did not have to hide in the shadows while she was out here on the balcony with only Hilde and Duo.

 

Now, the trick was trying to discretely get him to come out without her having to walk in the shadows to get him. That would not be good. She could already hear him reprimanding her for temporarily getting out of his sight or standing too close to someplace where anyone could just grab her thus putting herself in danger.

 

Relena continued to look out over the balcony as she thought of her strategy. An idea finally came to her and a completely mischievous grin development on her features. However, no one saw it since her back was to them.

 

She backed two steps away from the balcony, her hands behind her back, and began whistling. Once, Heero had actually confessed that it used to frustrate him to no end that she would call out his name whenever she knew he was near. He was supposed to be the perfect soldier, which meant no one was supposed to know he was there until it was too late or unless he wanted his presence known. But, he never seemed to be able to hide from her and that irritated him. It made him feel like he was slipping. She had only smiled and jokingly asked what did he want her to do whistle his name perhaps. His only response that day was one of his glares. And, now here she was whistling his name.

 

Relena slowly turned around and faced the direction she knew he was hiding. She whistled his name once more and this time she heard a frustrated groan coming from the far left corner of the balcony. She smiled, whistled again, and took a few steps in the direction the groan came from.

 

Duo watched the scene with a wicked gleam is his eye. 'Oh, this is too much. It's kinda like their own personal game of Marco Polo.' He wanted to laugh, but contrary to popular belief he did not have a death wish.

 

Heero watched as she took a few steps toward him then stopped. He knew she wanted him to come to her. 'So, the little dove wants to play games, huh.' He grinned evilly. 'Well, she can start them all she wants, but we'll see who has the last laugh when all is said and done.'

 

He moved around her very quietly. He came up right behind her, but she had no idea since she was still looking in direction he previously was.

 

Duo saw Heero sneaking up behind Relena. 'Should I warn her? Nah! That would ruin the show.' So he just smiled and continued to watch the events that were unraveling before him.

 

Hilde looked at Duo. She could tell by the look on his face that he was up to no good. 'That boy I swear. He is forever up to something.' It was then that she caught a glimpse of something out of the corner of her eye. She turned and saw the reason Duo was smiling. Heero was sneaking up behind Relena. She thought about warning her friend, but like her counterpart she wanted to see what would happen.

 

Relena suddenly got the feeling of someone behind her, but she did not even have the chance to think about it. She let out a startled yelp as two strong arms circled around her waist and pulled her back against a hard muscular chest. She could feel his breath on the back of her neck and chills went up her spine.

 

"You know, little one, it's dangerous the play games you can not win." He whispered huskily in her ear.

 

Relena leaned her head back against his shoulder. "Hum . . . Who's playing games?" She innocently replied.

 

"Hn."

 

She giggled at his response and shivered again because his breath sent another chill up and down her spine.

 

A loud clap of thunder was heard in the distance.

 

"Darn, it would rain right after we get out here for some much needed fresh air." Relena grumbled.

 

Heero let go then took her hand to lead her back inside. "Come on."

 

Duo was helping Hilde off the bench to take her back in as well.

 

Suddenly, a flash of lightening knocked over one of the huge potted trees by the balcony door. It was now blocking the way back in.

 

"Oh, my God! That was close." Hilde shouted.

 

"That almost didn't seem normal." Duo replied.

 

They all looked for another way back inside before the storm got worse, but there was no other way back in.

 

"What do we do now?" Relena asked.

 

"Duo, help me move that damn thing out of the way." Heero shouted.

 

As they began lifting the tree away, the rain came pouring down.

 

"Damn!" Duo yelled.

 

Relena and Hilde could only stand by and shiver as Duo and Heero tried to get them all back inside.

 

Suddenly, a flash of blue light appeared above their heads.

 

"What the hell?" Duo asked. He then saw the light advancing towards Hilde. "Hilde! LOOK OUT!" He tried to run to her, but he did not make it there in time. The light completely surrounded her and lifted her off the ground.

 

"Duo!"

 

He tried to reach her, but it was no use.

 

Then out of nowhere a bright red light flashed above them.

 

"Oh no." Relena said backing as far as she could towards the door. She had a feeling that one was meant for her, and she was right. The light came straight for her. She could not move. She was frozen.

 

"Relena!" Heero shouted.

 

She turned to see him running towards her. He seemed to be moving in slow motion to her. Then, the next thing she knew was being completely surrounded in a bright red light and being lifted off the ground.

 

Heero tried to reach for her just like Duo was trying to reach for Hilde, but it did not do any good. Suddenly, a very powerful gust of wind came. It knocked both men off their feet and slammed them into the wall. Temporarily stunning them.

 

Hilde and Relena meanwhile had no choice, except to embrace the lights that were surrounding them. Once they accepted it, the light completely engulfed them. Then like a flash of lightening, they were gone.

 

Duo looked up once he was able to move again. All was quiet. The thunder was silent. The lightening had disappeared. The rain had stopped. The strange lights were gone, and Hilde and Relena were missing.

 

He and Heero frantically looked everywhere on the balcony. There was no sign of Relena or Hilde. They even looked over the side of balcony, dreading what they might find at the bottom, only to find nothing there as well. The two people they loved most in the world had just disappeared without a trace.

 

Duo fell to his knees suddenly not having enough strength to hold himself up. Tears welled up in his eyes, but he did not care. He did not even care if anyone saw him because just like everyone else he ever cared about his Hilde was gone as well.

 

"HILDE!"

 

Heero managed to stumble over toward the wall. He braced his hands along the stone service and bowed his head in defeat. So many emotions were running through him at one time that he did not know what to do. A furious feeling built up inside that he could not describe or even understand. He slammed his fist into the wall, and he let out distressing guttural cry unlike any he had ever experienced. Somewhere in the back of his mind in a far off place, he could hear Duo's screams of pain, but it was too far away for him to pay it any attention. His angel was gone and right now he did not care about anything else.

 

"Relena." He whispered hoarsely as a single tear rolled down his cheek.

 

~~~To Be Continued~~~

 

Uh. Oh. Cliffhanger. Don't you just want to choke me? *Looks innocent* I promise I didn't mean to do it. Trust me. I hate cliffhangers myself. So, really, I feel your pain. Really, I do. ^_~

Okay. I promise chapter ten of A Weekend to Remember is coming soon. It is about 34 of the way done. So keep looking for it. It is coming. Hopefully, it will cheer you up where this one might have gotten you down. ^_^

Well, I must go for now. I've got a lot of typing to do. See you soon.

Bye,
Carebear