Disclaimer: if I owned these characters, I would be rich. But I don't, and I'm glad that I don't because then all of you wouldn't be able to enjoy them too. ^_^. Luv you, hope you enjoy it.

 

Winter's Parting Chapter Two

 

"Gentlemen, I assure you, with the cooperation of the EarthSphere alliance as well as that of the colonies, peace has prevailed." Releena smiled with reassuringly at the Council, her face earnest with unhidden sincerity, "For three years since the bid of power by the Barton Faction, we have upgraded our industries, provided better diplomatic interaction and communication with the colonies, and ensured ourselves a beautiful future, full of peace. The disarmament process has been proceeding smoothly, with 85% of the Mobile Dolls and other Units such as the Leos, Aries, and Tauros, to name a few being reforged into useful, constructive tools. Besides," She let a small, wry smile touch her lips, "I can't believe that any other war might start unless it's a verbal skirmish." The others chuckled at her pointed comment. They had been debating this issue for more than half the day.

The Council's main representative stood up as he reached out his hand, which Releena placed hers in. "Miss Releena, you are truly the model of peace and courage," he said, kissing the back of her hand in a perfunctory manner. "We thank you for spending the day conversing with us."

"In truth, it has been my pleasure." She responded automatically, waiting until all the Council members had filed out before she slumped into her seat, sighing wearily.

"That was a wonderful speech, Miss Releena." Releena looked up, startled, and smiled wanly at Dorothy Catalonia. Dorothy, the granddaughter of Duke Dermail, had once been one of her most distrusted enemies, working first for OZ and then the White Fang. But three years had softened the cynical edge to her eyes and brought a slight smile to the bitter countenance of her face. Instead of the almost morbidly dark clothes she had once worn, she now sported a modest sky-blue skirt and white blouse with ruffled edges at the base of her throat.

"Thank you, Dorothy," Releena answered, getting to her feet. Dorothy was one of the few people that she could actually call a friend nowadayssomewhat ironic considering their past circumstances, "I'm glad that meeting is overI feel so tired sometimes."

Dorothy helped Releena to the door, smiling sympathetically, "Don't trouble yourself over it too much, Miss Releena. Your selfless work towards this goal of peace is finally paying off."

"Yes, I know." But there was sadness in Releena's voice as she straightened, giving Dorothy's hand a final squeeze of thanks, "But for onceI just want to be" She shook her head firmly. When she looked up again, her smile was overbright and counterfeit. "Will you be at the ball tonight Dorothy?"

Dorothy nodded, her eyes a little worried though she hid it well, "Of course, Miss Releena. It's the third annual WinterFest Ball in celebration of the day that peaceful relations with the colonies began. You will be the guest speaker, won't you?"

"Yes." Releena answered, "I'm supposed to make a speech to the guests." She sighed again, "The speechI have to write it, don't I?" She rubbed her eyes. Dark shadows had appeared underneath them that no amount of powder could hide, lines of strain making her seem much older than she really was. "I'll do it after the interview with that representative from colony L2." She flipped open a little notebook, jotting it down quickly.

Dorothy didn't bother to try to hide her apprehension now, "Miss Releenais that wise? Perhaps you should just cancel that meeting or-"

"No Dorothy," Releena said firmly, her face a little sad, "He was very adamant about needing to discuss safety issues and intercolony travel. Apparently, there are, pirates of all things, that are hijacking cargo as it is being transported to their designated locations."

"Miss Releena," Dorothy's began, but suddenly, another aid came running up to them.

"Vice foreign minister," He said, bowing respectfully, and handed her a small clipboard, "These papers need to be reviewed and signed by you before you leave. The Board of Directors said it was urgent." Releena nodded, smiling politely.

"Tell them that I will read them as soon as possible." The aid nodded back and ran back down the hallway to deliver the message.

Releena looked at Dorothy, her lips trembling ever so slightly before she pressed them together in a tight, thin line. "Duty calls, Dorothy. I'll see you at the ball tonight, all right?"

Dorothy nodded quietly, "Yes, Miss Releena. Safe trip." Releena walked down the hallway, guards converging at her back like silent shadows, and Dorothy sighed, picking up her vidphone. "She's working herself to the grave," She murmured, walking back to her room.

***

After a few rings, Quatre's smiling face appeared on the screen and Dorothy couldn't help smiling back at the blonde-hair, blue-eyed Arabian. "Miss Dorothy, it's been so long since we've talked! How are you?"

Dorothy grimaced mockingly, "Miss Dorothy, Mr. Winner? Come now, we know each other better than that."

Quatre laughed, relaxing in his chair, "All right, Dorothy. How are you?"

"I'm fine," Dorothy replied, "But I was wonderingcan you get in touch with any of the other pilots?"

Quatre frowned slightly, "Why?"

"Well, tonight's the WinterFest Ball at the PeaceCraft mansion and Miss Releena will be the guest speaker," Dorothy shrugged, "She seems a little tense, so thought that if some of the faces she knew best were there, she wouldn't be so worried."

Quatre saw right through the ploy, asking quietly, "She's burning herself out again, isn't she?"

Dorothy sighed. He could always read her so well, "Yes. She's gotten so thin, you could almost see right through her. She's not eating andMr. Milliardo and Mrs. Noin are so worried about her, that they even tried to get in contact with the former pilot of Wing Zero."

"Zechs? Try to talk to Heero?" Quatre's face grew serious. "You're kidding." The heir to the Winner fortune drummed his fingers against his desktop, a frown creasing his forehead, "I have a few matters to take care of first, but I'll get in touch with Duo and Hilde. They're on the L2 colony, and Wufei and Sally are at the Preventor's main office, of course. Trowa and Cathy are visiting me, anyway and"

"And Heero?" Dorothy prodded hopefully, but Quatre shook his head.

"I haven't had any contact with him ever since the Barton incident," He admitted, "Heero just took off and left." Noting Dorothy's crestfallen expression, he added, "But I'll ask Duo. If anyone knows, it'll be him." Dorothy nodded and smiled warmly.

"Thank you."

He laughed again, his rich baritone filling the room without seeming overly loud. His face, while having lost the child-like roundness that characterized his previous years, had not lost it's surprising innocence and good humor. His eyes still snapped a beautiful blue, as if someone had decided to add the sky into the mixture. Dorothy wondered privately if he had ever found out about her infatuation with himprobably not. She was not known for her sentimentality, more for her brash independence if anything. But after all these years, she still felt an attraction to this young man who was the very antithesis of what she represented: compassion to her indifference, pure joy to her cynicism "You're very welcome, Dorothy. But no sabers this time, okay?" Dorothy's silver voice joined his in perfect harmony, as high as his was low.

"Of course, Quatre. Of course."

 

 ***

"Oujisan!" Releena looked around in surprise, and this time, a real smile touched her lips, inducing a rare sparkle into her eyes as she saw a group of familiar faces heading towards her.

"Duo! Quatre! Trowa!" She laughed as Wufei scowled, tugging on his tux in mild exasperation, "Wufei. How are you all?"

Duo, being Duo, grinned rakishly and hugged the young foreign minister, the ever present twinkle of mischief present in his light violet eyes, "Hello, oujisan. You look like hell." Hilde swatted him across the head, sighing in exasperation, but Releena merely laughed, returning the embrace.

"That bad, is it?"

"No really, you're looking lovely, Releena," Hilde said shoving Duo away for her own hug, "What was it, four years ago when we were playing espionage aboard Libra? Or I was playing espionage," She corrected, ignoring Duo as he complained over his mussed up hair, "You were yelling in annoyance at Zechs." Laughter rose in the group, as Releena groaned, putting a hand theatrically on her forehead.

"You're never going to let me live it down, are you?"

Duo grinned, "Umnoooooo. You see, according to what Hilde here said, you were crossing your arms like this," He crossed his arms, "looking like this," He pulled a comically annoyed expression on his face, "tapping your feet like this," He started tapping his foot rapidly on the marble floor, "And calmly yelling at Zechs about his perfidy against the PeaceCraft nameright in front of his men." He went back to his normal posture, watching with satisfaction as Releena's pale face started to glow with mirth, "So am I right?"

"Quiet Maxwell," Wufei growled, still adjusting his tux in annoyance, "Now I know why I never bothered to contact you all this time. Your endless chatter!"

Releena hid a smile, diplomatically asking, "How is life as a Preventor, Wufei?"

Wufei threw an exasperated glare at his partner, who was not bothering to hide the wide grin that went across her features, "It is very good, except this onna decided that as a Preventor, I absolutely needed to learn of the diplomatic dealings that went on in court."

Sally draped an arm across the oriental man, winking, "Well now, it seemed like a good idea at the time."

"Foreign Minister Dorlain!" Someone called and Releena looked up, a flash of weariness appearing on her face before she schooled it into one of polite attentiveness.

"I'm sorry," She glanced at her friends, "It seems that I am needed, right now." She walked towards the circle of visiting dignitaries, nodding regally as they drew her into their melee, barraging her with different questions, opinions, and some not so friendly 'suggestions'.

"They're really chewing her out, aren't they?" Duo asked, smoothing back his hair as he watched Releena's composed, calm answers to the different problems that were being presented to her. Her look of strain and quiet loneliness that had been lifted briefly settled over her features again, although only those that knew her well could see it.

"Yes," Dorothy said quietly, "This isn't the first time either. She had a meeting in the morning, an interview right after, wrote a speech and reviewed a stack of papers for the Board. I don't think she ate today." Quatre looked at Dorothy, then took her hand and smiled gently.

"Don't worry. I'm sure that she'll be okay."

***

Releena stood by the podium, waiting for her name to be announced as Noin stood by her side, Milliardo by her other. Her brother laid a reassuring hand on her back and she looked wanly up at him. Funny, her eyes were getting a little blurry and her legs were having a hard time supporting her...

"Releena, I want to say that I'm so proud of you," He whispered softly, giving her a reassuring squeeze although his lips did not move and he was still staring emotionlessly into the crowd. "And I know Father would have been very, very proud as well."

Releena smiled at her older brother just as applause roared for her in the crowd, "Thank you," she whispered, stepping onto the podium, regarding the crowd. She pasted a fake smile on her face, waiting until they calmed down. "Thank you everyone! And welcome to the third annual WinterFest Ball in celebration of our renewed diplomatic relations with the colonies!" Cameras flashed in her face, making her dizzy, although she tried to stay standing straight, "Only a few years ago, the EarthSphere was pitted against the citizens of the colonies. Bloody battles ensued, destroying international ties with the colonists."

Something was wrong. Releena gasped slightly for breath, still smiling, but there was a pain in her chest that wouldn't go away"But in these battles, we learned a great lesson, a lesson that served as a springboard for the peace that we enjoy today."

Her legs were growing weak, but she clung stubbornly to the podium, struggling with every word that came out of her mouth, "Nowweneed to-". Suddenly, the floor rushed up to meet her with abrupt speed, and she wondered weakly what kind of chaos she had just caused before darkness enveloped her in its silky folds

 

Author's note: thank u for reviewing my first story. *sniff* you made me very happy. Here's the second part. Please, r&r.