Disclaimer: Yes, or rather no, I do not own the Gundum Wing characters. I don't I don't I don't I don't. So what I'm saying is don't even try to sue me. I have no money. I am poor. And I have no life. Other than that, enjoy the fic!

 

Winter's Parting Chapter Six

 

"Dorothy Catalonia." His expression didn't change by the slightest degree, not growing warmer, but not getting downright cold either. He glanced at her companion. "Quatre."

Quatre grinned warmly, a sheepish expression coming over his face as he said sincerely, "It's been way too long, Heero. You could have called you know." Disregarding the gun that was pointed straight at them, he walked forward, holding out a hand to his one time friend, "We would have liked to know how you were doing." Heero hesitated a moment, then lowered the gun, sliding his hand into Quatre's grip for a short handshake.

"You were probably wondering why we" Dorothy glanced at Quatre, "Or rather, I, was trying to break into your house, Mr. Yuy." Heero didn't nod, just turned his eyes to the tall blonde girl, an eyebrow raised. "Well, Mr. Milliardo has sent us to bring you back to Earth."

Heero stiffened. "I'm not interested." He unlocked the front door, ignoring Dorothy as she followed him inside, trailed by Quatre.

"Please, Mr. Yuy. If you would listen for five minutes"

"No."

"What I mean is-" Suddenly Heero whirled around with classic grace, his pistol aimed straight for Dorothy's forehead.

"Mission," He emphasized, "denied."

Dorothy glared coolly back at him, disregarding the gun, waving Quatre's help away. "Really now, Mr. Yuy. Must we get nasty? You will listen to what I have to say, even if you are pointing that gun at me. You see, I happen to be here regarding Miss Releena, and I refuse to be denied."

Heero's hand wavered and dropped to his side, "Five minutes."

Dorothy flashed a smile, tossing her blonde hair, "Very good, Mr. Yuy. Quatre, are you timing?" Quatre nodded with a sigh and Dorothy began, "You see, according to the physician that attended to Miss Releena on the night of her collapse, she has a psychosomatic disease, meaning, whatever she's feeling emotionally affects her physically. Not surprising really, since she's such an empath. Therefore, if she is sad or depressed, she will become ill more easily. Now, the other pilots and others of our mutual acquaintances have come to the not so startling conclusion, that she is sick because she is lonely, and she is lonely because there is no significant other in her life." Dorothy tilted her head, "Now that's where you come in, Mr. Yuy. You see, Miss Releena still misses you after three years of non-correspondence. Mr. Milliardo says she still cries over you when no one is looking. Therefore, if she see's you, it is the logical conclusion that she might become well, sooner, and the EarthSphere alliance and the colonies need her to become well as soon as possible. Do you understand?"

Heero nodded, his eyes hard, "Yes I heard, no I am not going back to Earth."

Dorothy's face froze before she said calmly, "I see. Quatre, how much longer do I have?"

Quatre glanced at his watch, "Two minutes and a half."

Dorothy nodded, "Forgive me, Mr. Yuy." Suddenly her hand lashed out, smacking him across the face with a harsh crack. Heero didn't fall (big surprise) but he stood there, a little stunned at the unusual action of the girlor mayabe not so unusual considering it was her. As he started to advance on her, his eyes glinting dangerously, Dorothy held up on finger, "No, no, Mr. Yuy, I still have," She glanced at Quatre's watch, "Two minutes and fifteen seconds left. Compose yourself to listen, if you will." Suddenly, the façade was gone, and in its place was an expression of unguarded frustration, "I have been more than patient with you. Let me make it clearer, Miss Releena is dying Heero Yuy. She is sick, she is overworked, and she is stressed to the breaking point. The doctor has prescribed one month's bed rest, one month, and then she must go back to working and slaving in committee rooms and papers. And do you know why," She asked bitterly, "She is doing this?"

Heero reluctantly shook his head, so Dorothy continued, "She is doing this to herself because she does not want you to fight anymore!" Ignoring Heero's stunned expression, she continued heatedly, "After the Barton incident, when you said that you did not want to kill again, she took your words at face value and she has made sure that you would not need to fight by ensuring there are no more wars left to fight in. No war, no death," Dorothy said sardonically, "She has been slaving three years to your memory and you have not even thanked her, contacted her, or even sent her a damn card on her birthday!" Dorothy took a deep breath, lowering her voice, "Now, she is this close to dying, and you have the unmitigated gall to say no when I ask you to come see her?!"

There was a cold silence, crackling with tension, before Quatre said unesily, "Time's up, Dorothy"

The two continued to glare at each other, before Dorothy said quietly, "I will not force you to come, Mr. Yuy, but know this much. You swore never to kill again and now, Miss Releena's life is at stake. Are you going to settle here, on your own comfortable little world and watch her die?"

***

FIVE DAYS LATER

"Come on oujisan." Duo teased, leading a blindfolded Releena into the room, and Heero quietly mastered an overwhelming urge to runand take her in his arms. She was so beautiful, so thin, so innocent still, after all these years. But a smile was on her lips now, he noticed, and she had filled out a little, her face no longer having that emaciated structure that the camera had caught only a few days ago.

"Where are you taking me, Duo?" She asked, laughing faintly as Hilde, puzzled walked by her side, grew more and more bewildered by Duo's strange antics. She cocked a brow at him and he grinned, nodding towards the window. Hilde's jaw dropped open and a squeak skipped past her lips.

"Oh my god."

"What is it, Hilde?" Releena asked, preparing to take the blindfold off.

"Oh! Um...Nothing! It was only aa.a." She glanced helplessly at Duo for help, who mouthed 'an ugly clown' at her, "an ugly clown! Wait a moment." She glared at Duo as he doubled over in fits of laughter, choking noisily. "Duo, you are such an idiot!" Hilde muttered, grabbing his braid with a yank, "Come on." She called to Releena, "I'll be right back. Just taking Duo for a nice trip to the tonsil parlor."

"Hee hee hee...wait a minute. Tonsil parlor?!"

Releena smiled and took off her blindfold, folding it into neat squares as she shook her head silently. A prickle of awareness had been nagging at her ever since she had entered the room sizzled insistently again and she smiled sadly at her own fancy. If she hadn't been certain, she would swear that Heero was in the roomShe glanced up and froze, the bandana slipping through her fingers unnoticed as her eyes riveted themselves on a lone figure by the window.

A gasp of recognition whispered past her lips and she took an involuntary step forward, hand covering her mouth in shock, "H-Heero?" He hadn't changedhadn't changed too much. She still recognized him, his ever-uncombed hair, his thin lips and strongly molded features. Years of separation had added a maturity to his cool behavior, a sense not of knowing to much for his age, but perhaps, knowing exactly enough for his age. And his eyesthey were still darker than hers, a beautiful Prussian blue with the texture of ice and satin, if that were possible

Releena resisted the urge to pinch herself as she walked forward, eyes never ungluing from their chosen objective and she stopped a mere foot away from him, her hand brushing back the bangs that fell across his features, the silky feel almost reassuring her that this was the real thing, not some figment of her feverish imagination. She touched his lips, the crease around his eyes, the side of his face before finally clasping both her arms around his waist, silent tears starting to fall from her eyes.

This was not in my training! Heero thought, almost frantically, although he gave no outside indication of his emotional turmoil. He didn't know what to do, hug her, set her away? He glanced towards the doorway ands scowled when he saw Duo there, grinning like the braided maniac he was, and of course, whereever Duo was, there was Hilde.

Put your arms around her Duo mouthed, pantomiming the action with exaggerated clarity, Arms around! A-R-O-U-N-D. Duo grabbed Hilde and carefully put his arms around her waist. See? Around!

Heero glared daggers at him, mouthing back Omae o korosu, making Duo grin wider.

"Come on babe," He whispered, grabbing Hilde's hand and racing down the hall, "I think that's our cue to leave those two alone." A door being slammed on it's hinges supported his words and Hilde and Duo grinned happily, giving each other high fives.

"Awright!"

***

Noin smiled with peaceful joy, leaning against Milliardo as they both peered into the room from the adjacent chamber that just happened to have a connecting window. "They're so sweet together, don't you think, Zechs?"

"Hmph."

"Come on Zechs," Noin prodded, laughing as he sent her a death glare that had no heat in it, "admit it. You're just as happy about this as the rest of us."

"I am her older brother, I am not supposed to be happy when I see my baby sister making out with an assassin!"

Noin sighed, shaking her head in exasperated amusement, "Oh Zechs" Suddenly, Heero walked away from door towards the window and with a glare in their direction, yanked the drapes shut. Noin couldn't resist a chuckle. "Oops. Guess he spotted us."

Zechs merely growled in annoyance. "He better not be doing anything"

"Oh they're doing something all right," Noin predicted cheerfully, "They're talking, getting to know one another, maybe Releena's hugging him"

Zechs shook his head, "That is not reassuring me, Noin."

***

Author's note: And it begins! r&r, if you will! Give me your suggestions, your criticisms, your 'I don't like you, I think your story sucks, this is way too WAFFy' s! I will read all, examine all, try to act on all reviews, and cheerfully thank those of you that do write to me! Yay! They met! They're in the same room! It's a miracle! OkayI've been eating way too much sugarAre the characters acting like they're supposed to?