Captivation

by kmf

 

Standard disclaimer applies...

 

Chapter 10

The world suddenly felt like ashes in Heero's mouth. He stared at his guardian. Forcing his mouth to work he asked, "What did you say?"

"Miss Peacecraft has taken Lady Une into her home."

Heero turned away from his guardian, unable to bear looking into the spectacle magnified eyes of the old man. Faintly her heard the Dr continue

"I know that you said I should not interfere, but Heero I only had your well being at heart. And it is as well I did go to speak with her; the audacity of the young trollop-"

Dr Jaye suddenly found himself being held by his cravat, his ward twisting the material so that it was difficult to breath. Heero's eyes were partially obscured by his tangled hair, but the cold anger that emanated from them could not be hidden.

"Do not talk of her in that way." Heero spoke quietly, and waited for the Dr to nod before releasing his hold on him. "I told you not to interfere." Again Dr Jaye nodded.

"Heero, she is a distraction to your mission. She is an impediment to it. Her sullied reputation would drag you down and cause you to fail-" Dr Jaye said with a nervous tremor in his voice. He was familiar with Heero's quiet rages, but had never been the focus of one of them before and the old man found it both intimidating and frightening. He tried to turn Heero's angry thoughts to Relena "She was harbouring the very woman that killed your sister! You cannot possibly associate with her!"

Heero had turned away from the doctor, his fist were clenched. "I do not believe it." he grated. "There must be a reason for it." If Dr Jaye continued to talk to him he did not hear it. Heero tried to think through the situation logically. Why would Relena, who he believed to be devoted to him, do such a thing as aid the person who Heero believed was pivotal in the death of his sister. It made no sense. Had he done something to upset her - no, he believed not. Even if he had he could not imagine Relena stooping to such a level; it was not in her nature to be knowingly cruel.

A germ of an idea came into his head. What if Lady Une had tricked the innocent Relena somehow. What if Relena was in danger and Dr Jaye had not recognised the signs. What if Relena was in mortal danger from Lady Une as Helena had been. Heero shook his head. No, she could not be. Her brother Millardo was infamously protective of the girl. He would allow no harm to come to her. But what if Millardo was distracted by his own wife and the life she carried? He had to go to Relena and satisfy himself as to her safety, and to whether she had in fact as Dr Jaye claimed betrayed him.

Decided in his course of action he moved swiftly to the door.

"Where are you going?" Dr Jaye demanded reaching out and grabbing Heero's arm. Heero shook him off.

"To Sanq Hall." Heero answered.

"Heero! Have you not been listening to me at all?" Dr Jaye questioned with irritation. He hobbled after his ward as fast as he could, down the steps of the town house to the carriage that Heero was climbing into. "Wait!" he cried and held on to the door preventing the footman from shutting it.

"Dr Jaye. Do not get in my way." Heero said. Dr Jaye ignored him and Heero raised an eyebrow as Dr Jaye clambered up into the carriage beside him.

"If you are going, then I am going." he said eyeing Heero warily "You are not going to harm Miss Peacecraft are you?" he questioned as the carriage started to move "I know what she has done is intolerable, but you must promise me that you will not touch her!"

Heero did not answer.

 

* * *

 

Entering into the dining room at lunchtime, the first thing Relena did was to enquire if there had been any letters delivered for her. Millardo and Lucrezia had emerged from their rooms and were enjoying a late brunch. Millardo carelessly flicked through the pile of letters that sat by his plate and shook his head.

"No letters." he said "Please sit down, Relena, I need to talk with you."

Peygan held out her chair and she joined her brother and sister in law at the table. Lucrezia was blooming, her loosely tied back hair was glossy and full, her cheeks rosy. She had gained some weight as her pregnancy progressed and it suited her. It also suited Millardo. He sat close to his wife, his hand holding hers lightly, protective and loving. Relena had to suppress a sigh, wishing that she too could feel such security and warmth from the presence of Heero.

"I have two pieces of news for you. The first is that Ambassador Winner has left us to return to London this morning." Millardo began. He stopped as Relena got quickly to her feet and looked out the window.

"But his guards, they are still here." She gestured to the tents that decorated the back lawn of the Sanq Hall grounds. Even as she pointed, one began to topple and fall and she saw that the guards were collapsing them. Indeed, there were several pale circles of grass to show where some had once stood.

"He has taken a handful of guards with him, the rest will be following as soon as they have packed up." Millardo continued. He paused observing his sisters hurt face "He did very much want to say goodbye to you, but he could not delay his departure when you could not be found. He did say to tell you that he had fulfilled his part of the bargain and that it was up to you to fulfil yours." Millardo raised an eyebrow "Whatever that means." He added.

Relena spotted Rashid working with the other men to dismantle the tents. He straightened and turned towards the window through which she was watching and nodded to her once before continuing with his work. Relena knew exactly what Quatre had meant. He had talked to Rashid and left his trusted bodyguard behind so that Relena could get Catherine and him alone together. Relena's mind worked quickly on the mystery of why Quatre had quit East Sussex so quickly. Perhaps her suggestion to Quatre to declare his love to Dorothy had not been such a good idea. The only reason Quatre would have left so quickly would be if Dorothy had turned him down. Relena sighed and turned away from the window. If Dorothy had then she was more foolish than Relena had ever imagined. Just as soon as she could she would pay a visit to Lady Catalonia and find out why she had refused Quatre's suit.

Relena sat herself back at the table. "And your other news?" she asked quietly, distracted with the problem of Quatre's happiness.

"I have decided that Lucrezia should take the waters at Bath." he began.

Relena looked at Lucrezia closely "There is nothing wrong is there?" she asked with concern.

"No, no, dear Relena." Lucrezia smiled "Your brother wants the best for the baby and he is convinced that I need a holiday." she laughed "From what, I do not know. I do nothing but eat and sleep all the hours of the day and night. Any more rest and I shall become as slothful as a pig." she patted her stomach in happiness, and laughed again. "Your son agrees, Millardo" she said "He kicks and demands more exercise not more rest."

"You feel him?" Relena asked in curiosity.

"Yes, my dear." Lucrezia took Relena's hand and held it firmly on her stomach

.

Relena felt nothing.

"Is my daughter being shy?" Millardo asked. Instantly, Relena felt a sudden movement under her hand, followed by two more shoves. She gasped in delight. "Your child reacted to your voice Millardo!" she exclaimed.

"He ought to." Lucrezia stressed the 'he'. "Millardo talks to him every night, and I am sure he listens intently to all the good advise that his father has to give."

"She just wants attention from her Papa." Millardo replied, stressing the 'she'.

Relena smiled in happiness for them, removing her hand from Lucrezia "Oh, thank you for sharing that with me." she said in delight, then in mock severity "And if Dr Millardo orders you to rest, then rest you must. When are you going to Bath?"

"Tomorrow." Millardo said, he turned gravely to Relena "I know, I know it is sudden" he said to Relena's look of surprise. "But with Dr Barry leaving today there is now no doctor in the district that I would trust with Lucrezia's health. I have made enquiries as to employing a new doctor, but it all takes time. And so, until a new doctor can be found I will take Lu to Bath, which I have been reliably informed is crawling with doctors. I would ask that you come with us Relena, we intend to be gone for a month and I would not like you to be alone in this house."

An entire month away at Bath? Relena shook her head. She could not leave. Her stepfather would be gone by the time she returned and there was much she needed to do with the school. And what of Heero? What if he wrote to her, she would not be here to receive it. And if he called, she would not be here to see him.

Relena knew that this was a false argument. Any letters would be redirected to Bath and if Heero wished to see her he would also travel to Bath. However she could not rid herself of the stomach clenching queasiness that told her that if she went she might never see Heero again. She shook her head again.

Millardo nodded, it was as he expected. "Very well, you will remain here. I am confident that your maid Catherine is as good a chaperone as any. And you have Reverend Darlian and Wufei nearby if you have need. We will miss you Relena." he stood and walked to her kissing her cheek.

Relena nodded, but did not mention the fact that her brother had gone and the Reverend was soon to leave. If Millardo knew he would probably insist that she go with him, and she could not risk missing a single item of correspondence from Heero.

 

* * *

 

"What on earth am I going to do!" Hilde said in agitation, walking back and forth across the drawing room floor. Peygan, attempting to serve tea, was following her back and forth. At Hilde's last spin he narrowly avoided dropping the teacup and looked towards Relena in appeal. Hilde had arrived shortly after lunch with a panicked look in her eyes demanding Relena's immediate advice. Relena had taken her to the drawing room and ordered tea and cake, hoping that the beverage would go some way into calming the girl down.

She walked over to Hilde, took her by the arm and sat her down. She relieved Peygan of the tea and handed it to Hilde, nodding her thanks to the butler. Peygan looking most relieved fled the room. Relena pulled up a chair beside Hilde and sat down.

"I do not think that I am the best person to give you advice in matters of the heart." Relena said with a sad smile "But I shall try." She tilted her head observing her friend. "What gives you such confusion? Do you love him?"

"Love him?" Hilde's eyes narrowed. "He is an egotistical irritating man. He tells the most awful jokes, teases me until I want to scream, he is lazy - I do not think he has done a days work in his life. And vanity! Just take into account the hair and the attention he lavishes upon it." she paused to take breath. Looking to Relena she saw her raise an eyebrow in question, and she sighed "Yes. I love him." she admitted.

Relena smiled "And he obviously loves you else he would not have proposed. So what is the problem?" she asked.

Hilde suddenly burst into tears. Relena was aghast - she had never seen Hilde weep before. She quickly rescued Hilde's teacup from her faltering hand and set it on the occasional table beside her. "What is it?" she asked, taking both Hilde's hands in hers.

"I cannot marry him! I am a farmer's daughter and he is a gentleman. What would his family say! I would shame Duo and he would come to hate me for it." Hilde sniffed trying to suppress the tears.

Relena bit her lip. It was true, they were from two different classes and whilst it was not a lawful impediment to their marriage, it could cause difficulties. Relena did not know anything of Duo's family other than he was cousin to Heero. She did not know what to say. "Have you told Duo this?" she asked

Hilde nodded and removed her hands from Relena's. She pulled from her reticule a large white handkerchief and wiped her eyes.

"And what did he say?" Relena asked again.

Hilde gave a little half smile "He said that he had never done a conventional thing in his life and his parents did not expect him to take a conventional wife."

Relena had to smile at this too. It was a comment that only Duo would come up with. "Hilde, I am not sure that I am the best person to come to for romantic advice." she said "My own affairs are in such a state that I doubt that I will ever be able to untangle them. But I can tell you this: follow your heart."

Hilde looked at her "Follow my heart?" she asked.

Relena nodded "Yes. Do what your heart tells you is right, not your head." she took Hilde's hand again and gave it a squeeze "If you were never again allowed to see Duo, never to write to him, nor speak with him, how would you feel? What does your heart tell you?"

Hilde took a shuddering breath "It feels as though it would stop and I would die."

Relena nodded. "So follow your heart. Take this chance, this risk. Go to Duo and tell him that you accept. And who cares what his parents think, or what society thinks. Live for you and him, not for others."

Hilde was silent, quiet and still and stared at Relena for a moment or two, before her face lit up in a happy smile "I will!" she exclaimed, and stood up pulling Relena with her and hugged her startled friend. She then ran out of the door leaving a slightly breathless friend behind her.

Relena smiled a little sadly after she went. She was delighted that Duo and Hilde would find happiness together, but also a little envious. If only it could be so for her and Heero.

...Heero...

Her own heart felt as if it would stop whenever she thought of him, his messy hair, he solemn eyes, his deep serious voice, he soft gentle touch...She shook herself from her musings. This was no good, she could not sit here and dream away her life. It was time that she arrange for Catherine to be alone with Rashid. She could do nothing at this point in time to help the situation between her and Heero, but she could help Catherine be together with her love.

And it would also distract her from the knowledge that by now Heero would have discovered what she had done and would, she imagined, come to confront her about it.

 

** *

 

Catherine knew that something was going on. Her mistress was definitely up to something, but she just was not too sure what it was. Relena kept watching her; could she know her secret? Was she wearing her heart on her sleeve for all to see?

Catherine had found love in a most unexpected place with a most unexpected person.

Rashid. She murmured his name softly, delighting in the way it rolled off her tongue, then looked around with embarrassment. Relena had of late developed an uncanny ability to be able to sneak up on her and catch her in moments of dreaminess thinking of the strong bodyguard. Whether it was that Relena had developed the ability to walk silently or whether it was that Catherine just got so distracted when she thought of Rashid, she did not know.

Probably the latter. Catherine resisted the urge to slap her forehead in agitation. The man was ruining her life! She could not do even a simple task of fetching something for Relena without her mind wandering off to think of Rashid's strong hands, his dark eyes, the way he cradled her so gently in his arms when she was attacked by Une.

No! She was doing it again. Catherine all but stomped her foot in her irritation. And she could not even remember what Relena had sent her to the ballroom for! Now she would have to either lie and say that she could not find 'it' (something not in her nature to do, even though it was tempting) or go back and ask her mistress for the instructions again, thus proving without a doubt that she was a complete and utter simpleton.

Sighing, she lowered her head and moved towards the door. There was nothing for it but to be honest. The door handle moved as she approached and as if in slow motion the door opened. And there framed in the doorway was the cause of all her irritation, woe and desire.

Rashid.

Rashid grinned broadly when he saw her standing there.

"Little lady." he greeted in his deep sultry voice, his mouth smiling widely.

Catherine felt like she was going to collapse in a heap on the floor, she was having difficulty breathing and her heart was racing. She tried to act distant.

"Rashid." she replied, and mentally cursed herself as her voice sounded even to her weak and tremulous. "Can I help you? Do you want something?"

Rashid's smile was suddenly gone and he stared down at her. "Yes." he said.

Catherine suddenly felt nervous. Always he grinned at her, always he joked at her or with her. Never had she seen him serious as he was now. He moved a step towards her, and involuntarily she took a step back. He moved again, and so did she. Again and again until she felt the far wall suddenly behind her back. Her eyes widened as he suddenly caressed her cheek with his huge callused hand.

"Do I frighten you little lady?" he asked, his lips lifting into a small shadow of the smile he usually wore.

That broke the hypnotic spell his eyes had weaved upon her. "Frighten me!" she laughed "Good heavens, you great ox of a man, you have never frightened me!" she hit his hand away and stretched herself to her full height, which against a normally proportioned man would have been his equal. Unfortunately, Rashid was not a normal man, he was a giant, and her head only came to his shoulder.

Rashid laughed heartily back "Good!" he said, "I did not think that my little lady was a mouse." He reached his hand into the waistband of his trousers. Catherine swallowed. His actions were suddenly blurred he moved so fast. When Catherine was able to focus upon him again she found that he held a large knife to her throat. She blinked as her skin tingled from the coldness of the steel. Before she had time to think Rashid breathed "For you..." he pulled the knife away from her throat and held it tip resting on one palm, the handle on his other. He offered it to her. "Will you accept it?"

Catherine tore her eyes away from Rashid and looked down at the blade he was presenting to her. It was a work of beauty. Its blade was etched in a swirling pattern reminding her of Celtic knots, the handle inlaid with creamy mother of pearl and ebony. Catherine's hand raised involuntarily to the knife and caressed it, then picked it up delighting in the balanced weight. It fitted her perfectly. She looked up at Rashid and was about to thank him when she saw that his smile now was one of great satisfaction and he had a peculiar gleam in his eyes.

"You are now mine." he breathed and lowered his face to hers, his lips brushing against her check moving slowly towards her own.

"Yours...?" Catherine felt dazed at the feel of his breath against her skin.

"Mine. Forever. My mate." he affirmed.

"...Mate...?" Catherine could not get her muddled mind to work. His nearness was overwhelming her senses.

"You have accepted my knife, therefore you are my wife." Rashid said firmly, his arms suddenly pulling her body close to his.

Wife? His knife, his wife? How idiotic, Catherine thought as she started to struggle in the big mans arms. Her fingers gripped the hilt of the knife tightly - if necessary she would use the blade to free herself from the overly self-possessed giant.

But then, as his lips touched hers and he began to kiss her softly at first and then with growing passion, she relaxed her grip. Suddenly, she did not really care any more - all that mattered was that she was in Rashid's arms and her heart and mind were at peace.

 

TBC