Epilogue

Relena had not seen a great deal of Lord Yuy since the night he had clambered up the virginan creeper to save her life. Almost as soon as Heero had demanded that she marry him, Peygan had burst into the room having been woken by Dr Jaye's noisy retreat. The old butler cut a startling figure dressed only in his night-shirt and slippers and clutching a poker in his hand. He had misconstrued the tableau before him, assuming that his young mistress was being forcibly restrained by Heero rather than being held in a cherished embrace.

By the time the servant listened to reason, Heero had been forced to retreat to a corner of the room, evading the flurries of poker play whilst trying to explain the situation. It had taken Relena sending a pitcher crashing to the floor to draw Peygan's attention away from Heero, who swiftly disarmed the older man. Peygan had been shocked by the story and was profusely sorry for so nearly (in his mind) dashing the brains out of the young Lord. Heero needed no apology and was extremely grateful that the servant was so loyal to Relena that he would risk his life to defend her. Peygan, however, still had not gotten over his mortification of attacking a peer and still flushed red whenever he saw Heero.

The three of them had decided that the night's events should be kept secret. The scandal that already surrounded Relena would just be intensified by the news that she had entertained two men in her bedroom whilst in a state of near undress. Peygan had voiced his concern over the absent Dr Jaye, but Heero assured him that his old guardian would not return. Relena suspected that Heero was not absolutely sure about this point as he insisted that she travel to Bath that very night to join her brother and sister-in-law. His reasoning was that she would be hard pressed to hide the marks that Dr Jaye had pressed into her throat from the servants. Peygan would do his best to suppress rumors below stairs, but even he had limits and he doubted that he would be able to restrain Mrs Noventa's tongue. Heero had also wanted her to visit a doctor as soon as possible and he was certain that Millardo would have found a reliable physician in Bath that she could attend.

Heero had not accompanied her, as much as she had wanted him to. He had stated, correctly, that it would not be acceptable. But he did tell her that he would soon be visiting Millardo to ask his permission to wed his sister, which he did within a day of Relena arriving in Bath.

Millardo had refused to admit Heero to his house firmly placing the blame of Relena's injuries with Heero. Heero, showing the stubbornness that Relena knew and loved refused to leave and declared loudly on the doorstep that if he was not allowed in via the door, then a window would do just as well. Reluctantly Millardo had let Heero enter and had listened impatiently to his request to marry Relena. At the end of Heero's monologue Millardo had refused.

It had taken the intervention of Lucrezia to finally change Millardo's mind. Relena did not know exactly what passed between the couple or what reasoning Lucrezia used to sway Millardo, but she had been singularly impressed with the results. Millardo immediately became civil to the younger Lord and agreed to the posting of the bans at the Maresfield church.

Heero had returned to Maresfield after kissing Relena to a near breathless state in front of both Millardo and Lucrezia (the former of which had gone such a shade of red that Relena feared he was going to suffer an apoplexy from his suppressed rage). Relena had been left feeling quiet bereft of Heero's company until Lucrezia had started organizing the wedding including taking her shopping for her wedding trousseau once Relena's bruises had faded.

Millardo, Lucrezia and Relena returned to Maresfield eleven days before the date of the wedding. Early the following morning Relena and Lucrezia set about the task of delivering wedding invitations. The simple cards had been printed in Bath and polite etiquette demanded that these cards be delivered precisely ten days before the celebrations to those people whom the bride and bridegoom wished to associate with after they were married. The guest list was not long, Maresfield was not a large village and there were not many people left there of whom Relena could claim a close personal acquaintance.

Lady Une accepted her invitation with much pleasure, as did Mr Barton. Hilde did not receive an invitation, nor did her two sisters, for Relena had written to her personally the week before begging her and her siblings to be her bridesmaid "for although I have no sisters of mine own to ask, I do count you closer to me than any other." Hilde and her sisters were delighted to accept and showed much delight over the gifts of dresses to wear to the ceremony.

The last call was paid to Lady Dorothy Catalonia, a lady over whom Relena had pondered long and hard before inviting. Relena was upset that Dorothy had rejected Mr Winner outright and had driven him away, for Relena would have dearly liked to have the young ambassador at her wedding, together with Catherine and her husband Rashid. Relena had finally decided to invite the Lady because it would give her the perfect opportunity to ask Dorothy why she had done as she had and perhaps offer her a chance to sway her mind.

However, Relena's plans were foiled for as they arrived at Lady Catalonia's estate she and Lucrezia found it to be shut up, sheets placed over furniture and stables empty. A young maid was still looking after the house and answered the door at Relena's tentative knock. She explained that Lady Catalonia was no longer residing at her estate and was not expected back in the foreseeable future. Relena immediately assumed that Dorothy had returned to London to follow the lifestyle she enjoyed prior to the death of her cousin. The maid, however, quickly gossiped that Lady Catalonia was abroad and that she had taken off suddenly after moping around the house for several days. Without any prompting the maid informed Relena and Lucrezia that Lady Catalonia's destination had been 'an Arab country' and that it was 'simply shocking to travel such a distance on her own' and that 'she was likely to be kidnapped and sold by a fierce heathen if she was not very careful'.

On this note, Relena had thanked the maid and left, tucking the final invitation in her reticule. She could not suppress the delight she felt at the news, and could not help but smile in her happiness. She knew exactly where Dorothy had gone; in search of Mr Quatre Winner. Dorothy was not the type of person to let the dangers of travel dissuade her from searching out her soul mate, even if she came to the conclusion that Quatre was the right man for her a little on the late side.

The final days went by in a blur of activity for Relena making the time pass so quickly when she was sure it ought to pass slowly. And when day finally did arrive Relena was the first to admit that the weather gave her great concern. When she awoke that Wednesday morning the first thing she did after leaving her bed was to draw back the curtains. Thick fog greeted her making it almost impossible for her to see the scarlet and crimson leafed hornbeams that grew in the Sanq Hall gardens.

She wanted the day to be perfect for herself and Heero, even to the extent that she had chosen a 'lucky' day, Wednesday, to be wedded on. Not normally a superstitious person she felt that with all the disasters that she and Heero had encountered since their first meeting, any scrape of good luck she could summon for the occasion would be a good thing. Heero had chuckled at her reasoning, but had conceded on the day; he did not care as to when they got married, just so long as they did marry.

As the morning progressed and the fog began to lift, Relena began to feel reassured that the day she had chosen was lucky after all. By the time she reached the chapel she was sure of it. The sun shone brightly on the autumn day chasing the last of the clouds away, robins flittered in curiosity around the hedgerow that surrounded the chapel ignoring the small crowd of villagers that had gathered to watch the bride alight from her carriage.

Relena felt nervous as her step-father helped her down as she knew that she had not been in favour with the villagers since the incident with Lord Treize. However, most everyone was smiling at her with open honest looks on their faces. To one side stood a troop of young children all dressed in uniforms; tidy grey dresses with white pinafores for the girls, and grey short trousers and jackets for the boys. One girl and boy came forward holding out a small bouquet of wild flowers for her ­ blue Field Speedwell, Mayweed, pink Camion, and Seabious - whilst politely curtseying and bowing.

"You look beautiful Miss" the girl breathed as Relena accepted the gift and Relena recognized her to be Mariemaia ­ her face had filled out from eating good nourishing food and her short cropped hair had gained half an inch in length and was looking glossy and healthy.

"Thank you Mariemaia." Relena smiled and allowed the child to touch the smooth material of her dress.

 

 

Relena had had difficulty choosing a dress to wear for her wedding; her wardrobe was full of wonderful clothes. The dress she had finally decided to wear had been a favourite of Catherine's and Relena trusted Catherine's good taste even in the girl's absence. It was a soft pink, worn over a white satin slip flounced with crape. She wore a small bridal veil fastened to her bonnet with a brooch of pearl and pink topazes. Her hair was simply dressed in light curls and parted on the forehead courtesy of a nimble fingered Lucrezia. To complete the outfit she wore a necklace and armlets of pearls and pink topazes, which Millardo had given her the night before telling her that they belonged to their mother. On her feet she wore white satin slippers and white kid gloves adorned her hands.

"They are all impressed by the school." Reverend Darlian whispered to her as they moved towards the steps of the chapel, his eyes moving towards the waving people "They can speak of nothing else, especially after some of the London papers ran articles on it." He squeezed her hand "It is always the way in small towns ­ the gossip of last month ago is forgotten when something more interesting this month comes along."

Relena smiled and waved back to those outside the church thinking that just a few weeks ago they would not have even looked at Miss Peacecraft for the shame that surrounded her. How quickly life changed ­ and within a few minutes she would no longer be Miss Peacecraft, but rather Lady Yuy.

And then she was in the church and walking up the isle looking at Heero. He waited for her at the alter flanked by a very smart looking Duo and Hilde and her sisters who all looked beautiful in their matching light blue robes with cream pelisses and cream satin lined bonnets. Relena felt a touch of sadness fall upon her for if her step mother had still been alive Heero would have escorted her first up the isle and her dear Mama have been smiling encouragement at Relena as she walked towards her new life. Heero looked at her nervously as she approached mistaking the sadness in her eyes for trepidation on her part. She smiled shyly up at him as Reverend Darlian gave her hand to Heero and Heero relaxed, a small smile playing on the edge of his lips.

The ceremony was presided over by the Reverend Taylor who had recently taken over the parish from the retiring Reverend Darlian. A young kind man, he smiled encouraging at the couple before him as he asked them to repeat their vows to each other. Relena said her words quietly, looking deeply into Heero's eyes as she did so, and Heero repeated the same words to her with such honesty, sincerity and commitment that she knew that he was etching this oath upon his very soul itself.

For richer and for poorer

In sickness and in health

Forsaking all others

Till death we do part..

Relena felt tears well up in her eyes as Heero gently took her left hand and pulled off the kid glove. The Reverend Taylor held out his bible upon which sat a thick heavy gold ring that the clergyman had just blessed. Heero picked it up and gently slid it upon Relena's finger, his eyes never once leaving hers.

"I now pronounce you man and wife." The Reverend finished with a smile "You may kiss the bride."

Heero still holding Relena's hand bent down to her upturned face and touched his lips gently to hers. Relena's eyes shut as an overwhelming sense of joy filled her, she was now his wife and that gentle-fleeting kiss was a promise of more to come. Feeling his lips leave hers, she gave a little sigh of happiness and opened her eyes to see Heero smiling at her. He held out his arm and she took it, holding it tightly as they walked down the isle of the church into the yard where the villagers all still waiting. They started to applaud the newly married couple emerged from the church.

As the church bells started to ring, Reverend Darlian threw handfuls of rice towards Heero and Relena. Heero looked startled at the act, as did the other guests, but Relena laughed and explained.

"It is a tradition in China ­ a wish of good luck for a newly wed couple."

Heero grinned as he helped Relena into the carriage waiting to take them back to Sanq Hall and the wedding breakfast. The open carriage had been decorated with white ribbons and had old shoes strung out behind it.

"I do not need any more good luck." He said as he clambered up into the carriage beside her sitting as close as he could. He held her hand in his "My captivating wife, I have you and that is all I ever want in this world."

The End