Captivation

By kmf

Chapter Two

Dorothy stood outside Treize,s drawing room, her hand pressed against the door frozen in the motion of opening it. She could not enter. She felt afraid. She lowered her hand grimacing at the feelings she was experiencing. In one short week she had learned two new emotions: shame and fear. Or was it was three emotions? She was almost certain that the fluttering sick feeling in her stomach was guilt for what had befallen her cousin. She bowed her head blinking back moisture that formed in her eyes.

It was her fault. She had started what had culminated in the death of her cousin the night before. If she could but retrace her steps she would. If she could alter one moment in her life it would be that she would never had engaged Heero Yuy in that idiotic bet. If she had not Treize would never had been pushed to kidnap Miss Peacecraft for her wealth and he would not have died.

Treize lay now in the drawing room. His corpse had been recovered from the woods and a tearful housekeeper had washed his body and dressed it in fine clothes. He had then been laid in a black walnut coffin so highly polished it could have been used for a mirror. Roses, his favourite flower, had been placed in his cold hands.

But Dorothy had only been told this. She could not go and see Treize,s body herself, she did not want to enter the room with its heavy velvet drapes drawn cutting out the light of the late summer,s day. She did not want to see the candles placed at the head and the foot of the coffin. She did not want to see him. Because she knew that even cold and dead he would reproach her. His silent body would scream accusations to her. Because she had started the events that led to his death and she all but ended his life by alerting Millardo Peacecraft of Treize,s plan.

No, she would not look at his body. She would wait until the day of the funeral when the coffin lid was screwed in to place and only then would she look towards him; when he was safely sealed away. When he could no longer look at her accusingly through forever closed eyes.

Dorothy sighed and turned away from the door. She walked to Treize,s study, again pausing on the outside. This was Treize,s sanctuary, only he had been allowed to enter it. But Treize was gone now.

Dorothy steeled herself, reached down and turned the handle of the door and pushed it open. She paused on the threshold, looking into the room. It was neat and tidy, apart from the desk upon which were piled stacks of papers. The afternoon sun streamed through the window shining on dust motes that hung lazily in the air. It was still and quiet apart from the loud ticking of the clock that sat on the mantelpiece over the hearth.

Dorothy took a breath and entered the room, first her left foot and then her right. She paused almost flinching at the sensation that she was intruding. This was not her house, this was not her study, the room seemed to whisper to her. She shook her head.

"This is my place!" she declared loudly, breaking the spell of silence. Satisfied she turned and closed the door, shutting out the outside world, and walked to the desk. She sat gingerly in Treize chair listening to the wood and leather creak. She ran her fingers along the front edge of the desk, the only part that was not covered in papers.

"This is my place." She whispered to herself. "This is my right. I will not be afraid. This is a battle, nothing more. And I will win."

She took the first paper from one of the piles and started to read.

 

 

* * * *

 

 

Relena had watched Duo rush out the door with considerable amusement, which was not lost on Heero, Millardo or Lucrezia who had just entered the room.

"Miss Peacecraft, I do hope you know what you are subjecting your friend to" Heero commented.

Relena raised her eyes to regard him across the room "I believe that Hilde is perfectly safe with Mr Maxwell. She seems more than capable of defending herself if the need arises."

Lucrezia swept across the room and took her husband by the arm "Now, my dear, please do not stand and glare so." She said leading him to a window seat "I have ordered some tea and cake." She raised her voice slightly so it travelled across the room "I believe that Miss Peacecraft has business to discuss with you Lord Yuy."

Relena sat up straight reminded of the reason why Millardo had consented to invite Heero into his home. Whilst it was not the main reason why Relena had wanted to see Heero again, the school was still very important to her. "Have you been able to visit the workhouse since the ball? I am very sorry that I have been unable to make another visit since you told me of your success with the keeper of the establishment."

Heero nodded, aware that Millardo,s eyes never left him "I have been back on two occasions. The woman in charge, Margaret, is sympathetic to the plight of the children entrusted to her and responds to financial rewards. She has done as I asked and I would say that conditions have improved, though the children are still bonded to the mill and still work long hours. At the least they now eat nourishing food regularly."

"Did you see little Mariemaia?" she asked and Heero nodded. "I was very worried that the overseer would punish her for talking to us. Is she well?"

"I am afraid that she was punished, though I do not think it was for talking to you. Margaret told me that Mariemaia,s hair was shorn because she fell behind in her work." He said carefully "But she is well enough now, please do not be too concerned. From what I hear, her punishment was light."

Relena was visibly upset at Heero,s news. "Oh, I knew we should have taken her that day that miserable man cut off her pretty hair! I know that hair grows back, but what a cruel thing to do to a little girl. Now that Treize is dead, can we not do something to rescue the child? Is she not entitled to some sort of inheritance?"

Heero shook his head "I am afraid that she will be entitled to nothing from Treize,s estate. Treize was not, so far as anyone knows, married to the mother and there is no proof as to her parentage."

"Apart from looks." interrupted Relena.

"Apart from her looks. But looks have not standing in the law."

"Not all children are treated as kindly as our father treated us." Millardo said and Relena nodded. It was true, their father had treated them extremely well. Because of their mother,s religion their parent,s marriage had never been formally recognised and Millardo and Relena were legally illegitimate. After their birth mother died, their father had remarried but had no children from that marriage. This perhaps made it easier for him to leave a handsome provision for both of his children, but it was still a highly unusual occurrence.

A footman arrived with tea and set about serving them and Relena watched him musing on her current situation. If her biological father had been uncaring then she could have been in a workhouse herself, working impossibly long hours and punished for falling behind when tired. Her hand touched her hair wondering what it would be like to have the heavy mass cut off as a punishment for laziness.

"If we must seek permission to educate these children, who do we obtain it from the overseer?" Lucrezia asked. She had become most interested in the subject, her pregnancy making her feel maternal.

"He is a cruel man." Relena shook her head "I met him once and got the distinct impression that he enjoyed the pain and suffering the children endured."

"You must go to the owner of the mill." Heero said, sipping from his teacup. "And I would assume that would be Miss Catalonia. With Treize,s death she inherits his title and his entailed estates."

Relena nodded "Miss - no it will now be Lady Catalonia. I shall write her a letter and ask to call. I can but hope that she will be sympathetic."

Millardo was looking out of the window, but he had been listening closely to the conversation "Remember Relena, her cousin is dead. Please give the lady some time with her grief." He said.

Relena nodded and looked abashed. "Millardo, I am sorry. Thank you for reminding me. I am afraid that I feel such concern for the plight of these children that I forget about the feelings of others." She lowered her head feeling ashamed to have been so self-interested that she had to be reminded of such things, especially in front of Heero.

Lucrezia glared at Millardo for showing up Relena. Millardo was puzzled as to why he was on the receiving end of such a stern glare from his wife. He did know, however, that as soon as they were alone together she would tell him in no uncertain terms. Looking to his sister he assumed that he had sounded too stern with her and that he had embarrassed her in front of Heero. Heero was also looking towards him with hooded eyes. However, Millardo feared his wife,s disapproval much more than he did Heero,s so he glared back.

Heero turned to Relena. "Miss Peacecraft, your desire to help others can not be faulted. Perhaps you can proceed with this project without consulting Lady Catalonia until after the funeral. There is still a building to be secured for use as a school, and a teacher needs to be employed."

Relena looked up at Heero gratefully, and smiled. Heero felt good to be able to make her feel better and smiled. He cast a look towards Millardo and was satisfied to see that he was now scowling at his sister,s pleasure in Heero.

"Of course, Lord Yuy, first I must find a building. Do you know of any in the town that might be suitable? And I suppose that advertisements could be run for a teacher." Relena was frowning, mentally writing the notice in her mind. She suddenly realised that she was frowning at Heero and that Heero was looking at her with amusement. She smiled "I am sorry, Lord Yuy. I am not a patient person. I am so used to doing things myself if I want it done. Having to sit back and employ others to do it for me is so frustrating."

"Leave the building to me Miss Peacecraft." Heero said, "I will make enquiries this very afternoon." He was rewarded by a large smile from Relena.

Millardo stood up, looking at his pocket watch, and looked meaningfully at Heero. Heero was tempted to ignore him, but did not want to tire Relena out any further. Nor did he, as tempting as it was, want to get Millardo too annoyed. Millardo had it in his power to make courting Relena difficult. Not that it felt too much like courting at the moment, not when they were so closely watched. He got to his feet and bowed over Relena,s hand, giving it a little squeeze a message that Millardo would not be able to detect.

"I must take my leave, Miss Peacecraft." He said. "I should like to call again tomorrow if I may." He glanced at Millardo "To advise you how I have faired in locating a suitable property." He said before looking back at Relena. She smiled and nodded and he lowered his lips to her hand, breathing in her delicate fragrance for as long as he dared. He reluctantly raised his head only when he heard Millardo clear his throat. "Until tomorrow."

 

 

* * * *

 

 

Wufei sat meditating away from the confines of the church, away from the noise and interruptions. Rumours were beginning to fly amongst the villagers and already the parishioners were coming to try and catch a glimpse of the clergyman who had apparently killed a Duke in a duel. Wufei had no desire to become a side-show and had quickly and quietly vacated the church and had gone to his favourite place to pray and meditate: up high in the gnarled branches of an elm tree that grew next to the church.

When people came to peep through the doors of the church they went away disappointed. They never thought that a clergyman would climb up a tree. If they had thought to look up at the clouds or followed the flight of a starling they would have seen him. He did not hide, but they did not see him.

Wufei had always found it easier to get nearer his god outside the confines of the church. In the open air it was easy to observe the wonders of nature and feel awed by the power of a god that could create so much. Wufei sat still, his head raised to the heavens observing the clouds rolling lazily across the sky and felt insignificant.

He heard a small cough and looked down to see that Dr Robert Barry was observing him. The doctor stood lazily, back against the tree, arms crossed looking to the entire world a handsome young man. However, Wufei knew the truth. This was a woman. A strong lady who so desired to pursue a career in medicine and helping people that she had disguised her sex and joined the navy where she had served an apprenticeship as a ship,s surgeon. And now she was here in East Sussex because of the lies of Ambassador Winner. Wufei was very pleased for it. If she had not come then the chances were that Relena would not have been alive to be abducted.

"Doctor." Wufei acknowledged. He did not like to use her assumed name and had promised not to use her real name so he just used her title.

"Mr Chang." Sally replied. "What are you doing up there?"

"Meditating." Wufei answered.

"Would you please come down and talk with me?" Sally asked

"No." Wufei replied, closing his eyes. They flashed open at the little curse of annoyance produced by Sally and he observed that she was starting to climb the tree.

"Doctor, what are you doing?" he asked, an eyebrow raised in surprise at her actions.

"I have come to talk to you." Sally said tersely as she climbed up the branches "And as you will not come down to me, I shall have to come up to you."

Wufei grunted and sat still listening to her progress. When he had determined that she had stopped climbing, he opened his eyes again and saw that she was perched on a branch just under his, her back resting easily against the trunk, taking in the view.

"I can see why you like it up here." Sally commented. Wufei nodded but said nothing. "I came to thank you for not giving away my secret."

"It is not my secret to disclose." Wufei said watching the shadows of the leaves play across her face.

"No, it is not." Sally agreed "But I am grateful. I have not been able to ask your sister the same favour yet, but I believe that she will keep it as well as you."

Wufei nodded. "Relena is an honourable woman. She will not give you away if you do not want her to. But that is not the only reason for you coming here." Wufei observed and Sally shook her head.

"You are perceptive." She commented "But no, I also wanted to be sure that you were alright." She looked at Wufei in earnest. "I know that you were uninjured, but what happened last night was something not easily forgotten or accepted."

Wufei looked over the town again. "I do not want to forget."

"But you must, or at least try and put it into perspective." Sally said "It is a terrible thing to take a life, but the reason why it happened must be taken into account." Wufei shook his head "Mr Chang, Lord Kushrinada was in the wrong and you were in the right."

"Doctor." Wufei looked at her "You do not seem to understand."

"You are incorrect, Mr Chang." Sally protested "I do understand the terrible guilt associated with the taking of a life."

Wufei shook his head. "No." he said, "You do not understand. I do not feel guilt at the man,s death. The only thing I feel is great satisfaction that I was able to prevail against him and protect my sister."

Sally blinked.

"Oh." She looked at him closely "No guilt at all?" Wufei shook his head "So how does that fit with you being a clergyman?" Sally asked.

"That I do not know." Wufei said solemnly "Perhaps it does not."

 

 

* * * *

 

 

Duo waited by the dirt road that led from Sanq Hall to its boundary. He was fairly certain that he knew Hilde well enough to know that this was the way she would return home. He leaned against one of the old Horn Beam trees that grew along the road, hidden from the view of anyone leaving the property. He did not want to frighten her off before talking to her.

He did not have to wait long. He did not hear her approach, she walked lightly in her booted feet. Duo only knew that she was there when movement caught his eye when she was parallel to him. He stood straight and was suddenly dry mouthed and unsure of what to say. This was amusing to him because he had never before been short of words.

At the same time as he became aware of her, Hilde was made aware of him. She paused mid stride and looked at him. Recognising who he was her startled expression turned to a scowl. She continued to walk, her eyes down studiously ignoring him. Duo was forced to run after her.

"Miss Schbeiker!" he called loudly, then lowered his voice as he came next to her. "Miss Schbeiker, please listen to me!"

Hilde did not look at him and if anything her pace increased.

"Miss Schbeiker, please you must listen to my apology!" Duo pleaded, "I am truly sorry that I caused you offence. It was stupid of me and I shall always regret my actions of last night."

Hilde still did not pause, and was almost now running along the road. Duo had no trouble keeping up with her, his long legs far out distancing her own.

"I visited your home early this morning to apologise, but you were not there. And I know you have asked your father to prevent me coming near. But I have to confess that as terrifying a prospect it is to incur your father,s wrath, I cannot stay away until I have your forgiveness."

Duo though he detected a small smile at mention of her father, but Hilde,s pace did not slow. Duo paused and watched her continue up the road. What more could he do to earn the forgiveness of this lovely creature. She was just so stubborn. Duo sighed, then broke into a run, passing her and invoking a startled gasp from her. He ran on for about twenty yards then paused to watch her approach, her face determined. He dropped to his knees as she came closer.

"Please, Miss Schbeiker!" Duo begged, his hands clasped in front of him "I will do anything for your forgiveness!"

Hilde looked surprised at his actions and slowed until she was directly in front of him where she stopped. Duo raised his eyebrows hopefully and smiled his most winning smile, the one that usually melted all the girls, hearts.

"Really, you are a very silly man!" Hilde sighted "Get up please" she glanced around to see if they were being observed.

"Do you forgive me?" Duo asked

Hilde,s eyes narrowed "Get up!"

"Only if you forgive me. If you do not I shall follow you on my knees until you do." To demonstrate he shuffled forward a pace or two, causing Hilde to step back. Duo grimaced and looked down to see he was now kneeling in a puddle. He looked forlornly back up at Hilde who was looking at him in disbelief "Please?" he asked again.

Hilde cast her eyes up to the heavens. "I know that I shall regret this." She said "But very well, I forgive you."

Duo felt relief and delight and surged to his feet and grasped Hilde,s hands. "Thank you Miss Schbeiker!" he exclaimed and Hilde pulled her hands away from him.

"Good." She said starting to walk away "Now I have forgiven you, kindly leave me alone!"

Duo grinned and started walking beside her "Please let me escort you home." He said.

"I do not need to be accompanied." Hilde said firmly "I am more than capable of walking unassisted, thank you!"

"But I should like to learn more about you Miss Schbeiker, and what better way than walking together and engaging in conservation." Hilde made no comment and Duo continued. "And I know that I still have to prove myself in your eyes. What better way of doing that than to risk injury through provoking your father,s ill feeling by walking with you."

Hilde smiled.

Duo was silent for a little while then said nervously, "You will explain to him that I am forgiven?"

Hilde nodded. "Yes I shall, but only on the proviso that you go away."

Duo,s smile faded. "As you wish." he said and stopped walking, watching Hilde continue on her way. She had walked five steps before glancing over her shoulder at him. He smiled hopefully and Hilde stopped and turned to face him.

"Oh, very well." She said, "You may walk with me."

Duo grinned and walked hastily to her side. He offered her his arm and Hilde, a little reluctantly, took it. Duo smiled down at her as they started walking.

"So, Mr Maxwell." Hilde said still looking a little uncomfortable, "What do you wish to converse about?"

"I should like to learn more about you." Duo promptly replied and Hilde laughed a little.

"What is there to know?" she asked, "I am the daughter of a farmer."

"But I would like to know everything; what you like and dislike. All there is to know!" Duo said enthusiastically.

Hilde still looked unsure. "How about a compromise." She said "I ask a question, then you ask a question. You have to answer and if you do not then the walk will be concluded."

Duo was now the one to look a little unsure of himself. "Very well." He finally agreed.

Hilde smiled. "Please tell me why your hair is so long Mr Maxwell?" she glanced at his braid hanging neatly down his back.

Duo grimaced. "Ah, you start with a question the answer of which no one knows but me." He paused and looked at her closely "But to you I will reveal the secret that has perplexed my family, Yuy included, for some time." He paused for dramatic effect whilst Hilde shook her head.

"Oh dear." She said, "I wish I had never asked."

Duo winked at her then began. "When I was a young boy I had a tutor who was very enthusiastic about history. I read once about how the Catholic Church loathed long hair on the basis of St Paul once saying, Long hair was shame unto man,. One Bishop used to carry a little knife around with him and if a long haired man came and knelt before him for blessing, the Bishop would whip out the knife and cut off a handful and then say Get the rest cut off or go to hell,.* Did you know that one pope used to excommunicate men just for having long hair?

"Soon after I read this a new priest joined the church to which my family belonged. He caught me scrumping apples with a friend one-day and he gave us both a sound beating for being wicked. I decided then that if I was going to be labelled as wicked by the church then I would proudly show it and so I refused from that point to have my hair cut. I was going to be Henry the first to the Priest,s role as Anselm, Archbishop of Canterbury**." Duo grinned at the memory.

"It was to taunt a priest?" Hilde was a little shocked. "What did he say?"

"He turned out to be a great lover of history too and was most amused at my boyish rebelling. We became and still are good friends." Duo smiled "But even when we became friends I still refused to have my hair cut."

"Refused?" Hilde asked and Duo nodded.

"I refused, I would throw tantrums or runaway every time a pair of scissors were produced. My Nanny gave up in the end and said that it was something I would grow out of." He said.

"But you did not." Hilde laughed

"I grew out of the idolatry of my historic heroes, but became rather attached to my hair." Duo grinned, "To this day I will throw a tantrum if I see someone approach with a pair of scissors."

Hilde could not help but laugh loudly at this. "Thank you Mr Maxwell for your honesty." She said, "Be assured that your secret is safe with me. Now, it is your turn to ask."

Duo thought for a moment, then asked: "Do you like fishing?"

 

 

* * * *

 

 

The next day was beautifully sunny and Relena woke anticipating another visit from Heero. However, she was soon to be disappointed. Upon entering the breakfast room, Peygan presented her with a note, which she quickly read ignoring the looks of interest from Millardo and Lucrezia. She only looked up as she finished reading, folding the note carefully.

"What is wrong?" Lucrezia asked concerned at the look of unhappiness on her sister in law,s face.

"It is from Lord Yuy." Relena said, "He sends his regrets, but he has been called to London on urgent business and will not be able to call for a couple of days." Relena looked down at the note again, and could not help but smile as she read deepest regrets, and counting the minutes until I see you again,. It tempered the sadness she was feeling to know that he too felt their separation keenly.

"Oh dear!" Lucrezia exclaimed, "That is such a shame. Do you agree Millardo?"

Relena looked up, as Millardo,s answer was not immediately forthcoming. Millardo was looking quite smug and happy and Relena felt disquiet at his expression. Obviously she was not the only one who found it suspicious as Lucrezia,s eyes narrowed.

"Millardo, you did not have anything to do with this urgent business, did you?" Lucrezia asked.

Millardo flushed. "Of course not!" he said innocently.

"Because, if you have Millardo Peacecraft, I will not be very pleased!" Lucrezia continued, eyeing him closely trying to determine whether or not he was telling the truth.

"Madam, however much I am pleased that he has departed the neighbourhood, I have had nothing to do with it!" Millard said indignantly, "I expect that he has travelled to London as a runner came with a message from Lords. There is a special session of the House of Lords sitting and about to vote on the bill on maximum working hours."

Relena looked at Millardo in surprise. Heero had not mentioned that in his note, but she knew that he found the subject of great importance and had tried to have the labour laws passed before; he had discussed it in some depth the day of the picnic with Treize. Lucrezia also was staring at Millardo.

"What?" Millardo asked, finishing his cup of tea, aware of two sets of eyes watching him intently.

"Why are you not in the House of Lords voting on the matter?" Relena asked.

Again, Millardo flushed. He had obviously not considered Relena,s interest in the subject when he mentioned it. "Well, my dear sister. Lucrezia certainly would not want me to travel far away whilst she is in such a delicate condition."

Lucrezia laughed. "Millardo, it will be months before the event occurs. You need not trouble yourself on my account in fact I insist that you go and join Yuy to vote on this matter. If it is to pass they will need every peer in favour to be present."

Quatre at that moment entered the breakfast room, Rashid following him as normal. Rashid waited till Quatre was seated, then bowed and left. Millardo, sensing an opportunity to change the conversation, commented on Rashid,s disappearance.

"He has gone to visit Miss Bloom, who, I believe, will be allowed out of bed today." Quatre said.

"Please do not change the subject, Millardo!" Lucrezia said with irritation, "I shall instruct your valet to pack you a bag for your trip to London."

"Oh, you are travelling to London?" Quatre asked, sipping on a hot chocolate drink that a footman had poured for him.

"No, I am not." Millard said. "I could not with good conscience leave my wife at this time."

Relena smiled at his discomfort "But Lucrezia has already said you must go." She said, watching as Lucrezia nodded. "The vote is important."

"Lucrezia might be able to do without me, but I could not desert my guest." Millardo said firmly, indicating Quatre who was now watching the family with amusement.

"Please do not stay here on my account." Quatre said "Marchioness and Miss Peacecraft are wonderful company and I can sense just how important this vote is to them both."

Millardo,s smile faded and knowing that he was outnumbered he stood up. "Very well." He said "I will go and make arrangements."

"Give my regards to Lord Yuy!" Lucrezia called after his retreating figure.

Millardo paused mid stride and scowled, but made no comment. Lucrezia and Relena,s laughter followed him down the hall.

 

 

* * * *

 

 

In the afternoon, after Millardo,s departure, Relena obtained permission from both Dr Barry and Lucrezia to go on an outing to see Reverend Darlian and Wufei. Both men had visited Relena during her illness and now Relena was glad to be allowed to venture out of Sanq Hall to visit them.

Both her father and brother seemed to be so unhappy. Reverend Darlian was still, of course, mourning for his wife and Wufei for his adopted mother. But in Wufei,s case there seemed to be an inner turmoil, a general dissatisfaction with life. Dr Barry had warned Relena that she should take note of Wufei,s demeanour and report back to her Relena,s opinion. Relena had smiled when the doctor had mentioned it, but upon talking to Wufei she could tell that something was wrong and that in all probability it was linked to Treize,s death.

And so Relena found herself at her mother,s grave, dressed in black mourning clothes. She placed in front of the simple gravestone a small posy of summer flowers that she had gathered on her way to the church grounds. She caressed the inscription of the stone with her black gloved fingertips and smiled. Rather than feeling sadness she felt joy at having spent so many years with such a wonderful woman. She still acutely remembered the feeling of closeness to her mother that she experienced upon finding her initials carved in the old oak tree. Relena knew that she would never loose that bond.

"Goodbye Mama" she breathed softly, then got to her feet and turned to the two men who regarded her.

"Come into the warm, my dear." Reverend Darlian said, taking hold of her arm "This is your first excursion since your illness and I do not want you to tire yourself."

Relena smiled and squeezed her step fathers arm "You know that Dr Barry said that exercise would not harm me and would be most beneficial."

"I have every respect for Dr Barry " Rev Darlian said "But whilst you may feel full of energy, I am in need of refreshment."

"Well then, Papa, maybe we can combine both our wants to meet the others needs." Relena smiled "Could we walk down to the tea shop in the village? I have it on Catherine,s good authority that they brew excellent tea and I have a fancy for a scone with strawberry jam and clotted cream."

Reverend Darlian laughed. "At this rate you will soon fill out those cheeks of yours again" Relena laughed lightly as her stepfather teased her. "But I am not sure." he glanced at Wufei.

"Relena cannot stay shut away for ever." Wufei said quietly.

"Very well then." Reverend Darlian said "I should like to purchase the latest tabloid from London, it should be there today."

They set off slowly, not because Relena was still recuperating from her fever, but because she would stop and gaze at gardens, remarking on flowers in full bloom. The town was only a brisk five-minute walk from the rectory, but the pace Relena set caused the walk to take much longer. Even when gardens gave way to shops Relena still would stop and gaze in the shop windows examining wares; she had only been confined for a few days, but it felt like a lifetime since she had last been allowed to walk freely and window shop.

At the stationers Relena felt her good mood dampen a little as she observed the paper that Reverend Darlian had purchased. Its front page was dominated with a heading announcing Treize,s death. Rev Darlian made no comment and folded the paper carefully and tucked it beneath his arm. Relena did her best not to think of it.

As they walked on Relena was aware of many eyes upon her and she nodded to those she knew, sometimes receiving nods back, but mostly no acknowledgement. Nobody came up to greet her personally, which Relena found a little odd. Whilst she had not lived in the village long she was well known both as the daughter of the local clergyman and as the rich sister of the Marquise of Zechs.

They came to the little teashop, a large sign proclaimed "Mrs Potter,s Teas". The door was half glazed, and painted a bright green. Wufei opened the door and was greeted by the tinkling of a little brass bell fixed to the top of the door. Mrs Potter herself came over and directed them to a table. The shop had been converted from a small cottage, the inner walls had been demolished to make the shop open plan, but part of the walls remained so that the tables were set into nooks and were quite private.

The table at which they were seated was small and circular, covered by a green checked tablecloth and ornamented by a little vase with two white dahlia flowers. The party did not have to wait long for their tea to arrive. A large blue china teapot, accompanied with matching cups and saucers, arrived. Then a large bowl of cut sugar and tongs, and a small jug of milky cream. A two tiered cake stand followed laden with warm scones fresh from the oven. A bowl of strawberry jam and a large bowl of clotted cream completed the order.

Relena,s eyes sparkled in delight as she helped herself to a scone and smeared a little jam on it. Then she took a teaspoon and broke through the darker yellow crust of the clotted cream into the pale yellow centre. Taking as much cream as she was able onto the spoon, she used a knife to scrape it off onto the jam-covered scone. She hesitated, then took another spoonful of cream and added it to the first. Trying not to smear cream around her mouth, she took a bite and sighed in happiness. Wufei and Rev Darlian regarded her in amusement.

"Are you sure we have ordered enough for us all?" asked Wufei, picking up the teapot and pouring tea through a little silver strainer into the china cups.

Relena blushed, then smiled "Oh my, Wufei! Did you want some?" she asked innocently "I though I was the only one who wanted to eat! Shall I call the waitress over and order more?" she took another bite.

Wufei looked a little taken aback, but smiled as he realised she was just teasing him.

"You are lucky Lucrezia is not here." Relena commented "The amount of food that she had been eating of late is a little frightening. She ate Millardo,s kedgeree yesterday when he was tardy coming down to breakfast, then claimed no knowledge of where it went." She accepted the tea that Wufei passed to her.

As they sat quietly talking, the shop door opened once again, the brass bell announcing more customers. From where she sat Relena could not see the door, but she could hear from the conversation that they were two ladies. Mrs Potter greeted them and ushered them to a seat, but the ladies so intent on their conversation did not acknowledge her. Their voices were loud and carried, Relena grimaced that her own quiet conversation had been disturbed.

".yes, I did see her." One was saying "Bold as brass, walking down the High Street without a care!"

"Shocking, if I was her I would hide myself away in shame." Said the second.

Relena felt sympathy for the person of which the two ladies were talking about. Relena had been the subject of so much gossip when she first arrived that she knew just how disconcerting it could be.

"I am surprised she is still here at all. If I were she I would have gone away at once. It just shows how low her morals actually are." Said the first.

"But it was not really her fault." The second argued.

"Whether it was or was not her fault is not the point. A lady would not allow herself to get into that situation."

"Yes" agreed the second reluctantly "But perhaps she did not know, being bought up in a foreign land."

Relena,s hand had paused, her second scone halfway to her mouth. A feeling on unease came upon her and she looked at Wufei. Wufei was scowling, his fingers tightly wrapped around the handle of his teacup.

"And all the blame on that poor dead man. He cannot defend himself now, it might not have been all his fault!" said the first.

Relena lowered the scone to her plate.

"Well, whatever happened she is a ruined woman now." The second continued "Like as not she will be bundled away till nine months have past, the excuse will be a holiday abroad."

Relena felt sick. She looked at her father.

"Is that what is being said of me?" she whispered.

"I heard that before the elopement she was at Lord Yuy,s completely unchaperoned." Said the first

The second tutted "Shocking!"

"Yes." Agreed the first "Like as not Lord Kushrinada stole used goods!"

Wufei slammed his cup down on its saucer, causing the saucer to crack. He got to his feet, his outrage obvious. Relena held a hand up to restrain him.

"Please, Wufei, no!" she said and stood, her head lowered "I am sorry, Papa, but I feel very tired. Do you mind very much if we go?"

Reverend Darlian had stood too, his eyes sad for his daughter,s plight.

"Of course, my dear." He said reaching into his pocket and leaving some silver shillings on the table.

At the sound of clanking china and chairs being scraped across the wooden floor, all conversation had ceased between the two gossiping women. As Relena and her family left their table, Relena kept her eyes downcast in mortification. A quick intake of breath indicated to her that she had been identified. She heard the first one mutter in a lowered voice.

"Really, Mrs Potter, the quality of your clientele has declined."

Relena felt Wufei stop, but she kept her hand in his arm and did not stop walking so that Wufei was forced to walk again. As they left the shop, the warm summer sunshine did nothing now to lighten Relena,s spirits.

 

 

*St Wulstan, Bishop of Worcester

** Henry I was constantly hounded by the clergy to cut his hair. Only after nearly drowning during a violent storm at sea did Henry I repent his evil ways and cut his long luxurious locks.