Captivation 5/?

By kmf

Standard Disclaimer: Do not own .etc

 

Dr Jaye had left Heero as soon as he had determined that there was no possible way to dissuade his young charge from the disastrous course of courting and marrying Miss Peacecraft. He was convinced that if Heero continued on this path his mission of providing better living conditions for the poor would be jeopardized. Dr Jaye feared what damage failure would cause to Heero; he well remembered the event that had so shaped his charge's life.

Heero had worked very hard to find peace after the little gypsy girl had died. Dr Jaye, who had already been impressed with the boy's intelligence and agility, had become more so as Heero's character developed molded by such a tragic occurrence. Dr Jaye cared enough about Heero that he would not allow momentary blindness in judgement because of 'love' ruin Heero's work. If he could not change Heero's mind, then he would see about changing Miss Peacecraft's.

With that in mind he had left Heero at Lords and had traveled to East Sussex rather than staying on in London as he had told Heero he would. Dr Jaye knew that Millardo Peacecraft would have already traveled to his estate and handed the letter written by Heero to Relena. She would now be in possession of his declaration of love and his hint at marriage. It was up to Dr Jaye to minimize the damage done. He would assess the girl's character and if it proved to be as virtuous and good as Heero claimed he would appeal to her common sense and ask her to forgo her happiness for the sake of Heero's career and life's ambition.

The Peacecraft estate was a modest one, although Dr Jaye knew that both Millardo and his sister had considerable fortunes between them. They were not, it appeared, given to great shows of ostentation. The lawns were neatly scythed and the gravel drive raked but the grounds appeared a little wild and untamed and not formal as the current fashion dictated.

The butler who opened the door and assisted Dr Jaye out of his carriage was old, his livery elegant but not loud as some were want to dress their servants in. So often employers would turn out workers who had passed a certain age, and Dr Jaye found himself reassured by the old man's presence. Perhaps the Peacecraft's ideals were as high as Heero had suggested he thought as he gave his card to the butler.

As Dr Jaye waited in the receiving hall waiting for the butler to announce his visit and find out if Miss Peacecraft was 'home' he analyzed with his scientific mind what he had seen so far. He tried to assess what he had already knew of the Peacecraft household and how it would effect what he considered his duty to Heero. If Miss Peacecraft was unwilling to be 'helpful' then the only way to proceed might be by gaining some detrimental information about the young woman from the servants and using that to encourage the lady to be compliant. The aged butler would be completely dedicated to his master and mistress; a man of his age would have no opportunities for employment elsewhere and even if he had gossip to share would not if it put his employment at risk. But perhaps there were other servants that could be used.

As he considered he spied a young woman observing him from the door at the top of the stairs leading to the kitchens. Her hair was scraped back to make her look older and she was openly staring at the old Doctor who peered back at her through his thick glasses. She smiled in a saucy way and the doctor felt a little taken aback; it had been years since a woman had looked at him in quite that way. The doctor was not stupid though and did realize that she had assessed the cut of his clothes and ascertained that he was a man of property before she silently flirted with him. She sniffed as the butler reappeared and at his cold look she spun and headed down the stairs, not before pulling a face at the old man's back. Dr Jaye smiled to himself. Maybe this woman would be a suitable subject to encourage to share some secrets about her mistress that would encourage Relena's compliance.

The butler gestured for Dr Jaye to follow him and he was led down the hall to a plain white painted door that opened to the drawing room. It was simply but elegantly decorated, with pale blue walls and white molded ceiling. Nothing was overstated and the room itself seemed to have a restful feel. However the people sitting inside the drawing room looked anything but restful.

Dr Jaye instantly recognized the Marquise of Zechs standing by the fireplace, his face frowning and slightly red; an expression of controlled rage. Next to him stood a dark haired woman dressed in light blue silk, her low neckline demurely covered with a white muslin inset. Her hand was draped across her middle in a protective gesture and Dr Jaye could determine a slight bulge. This was the Marchioness whom Dr Jaye had heard was expecting a blessed event.

On the chaise lounge sat two women. One had her head bowed staring at her lap. She did not look up and make eye contact with the doctor, but studiously studied something, a handkerchief perhaps, twisting it in her hands in what appeared to be agitation. Beside her sat a young lady with honey blonde hair swept up empire fashion fastened with ribbons that matched her rose pink muslin gown. Her blue eyes were sparkling and her cheeks flushed. She was unmistakable, her similarity to Millardo Peacecraft undeniable. This was the object of Heero's desire: Miss Relena Peacecraft. A woman of spirit the Doctor determined as it seemed obvious that he had interrupted the siblings exchanging some heated words.

"Dr Jaye" the butler announced.

"Thank you Peygan" replied Millardo, a thin smile on his face "Please arrange for tea to be bought through".

The butler nodded and withdrew from the room. Dr Jaye said nothing but regarded the tableau before him.

"This is a very surprising visit" Millardo said walking towards the Doctor holding out his hand. Dr Jaye grasped it and they shook hands in a friendly greeting.

"I hope you will forgive my unannounced visit" he said.

"There is nothing to forgive" Millardo replied "Please let me introduce the ladies" he gestured to the women by the fire. "My wife Lucrezia, Marchioness of Zechs." Lucrezia inclined her head "May I introduce Dr Jaye ­ I have mentioned him before, but in case you have forgotten he was the guardian of Yuy."

Dr Jaye noted with interest how Lucrezia suddenly stood straighter, her eyes instantly going toward Relena. His name also captured Relena's attention, her face going an interesting pale shade, her eyes wide and startled. Interesting, Dr Jaye thought.

Millardo continued "This is my sister, Miss Relena Peacecraft of whom I am sure you have heard much about." Relena flushed and glared at her brother but stood and held out her hand to Dr Jaye.

"It is a great pleasure to meet you." she said sincerely, her voice direct and honest, her eyes innocent and sincere. Perhaps she is an innocent as Heero claimed thought the doctor.

"And finally" Millardo continued after a slight pause, "Someone that you may have met before: Lady Anne Une."

Dr Jaye felt his heart skip a beat in shock. He looked down at the woman on the chaise lounge who slowly lifted her head to gaze at him.

It was true. It was Lady Une ­ someone he had only met on the occasion of Helena's wedding, but someone he had no desire to meet again: the woman whose name had been linked to Helena's death.

She gazed up at him her face pale and thin, he eyes red rimed and tortured. Dr Jaye had a clear recollection of her at the wedding, brash and loud. This creature now before him was a mere shadow of her former self.

But even the shadow of Lady Une was too much for Dr Jaye. He could not bear to be in the same room as her. He turned on his heal and left the drawing room. As he stalked out he heard Millardo's voice comment:

"See Relena? And just how do you think Heero is going to react?"

Relena watched Dr Jaye depart from the room feeling more than a little despair. How would Heero react? She had thought of this very matter more than once in the proceeding 48 hours.

After learning from Dorothy that Lady Une was being held in an institution Relena had felt a growing disquiet. It was true that Lady Une might have been at least partially responsible for Helena's imprisonment and her subsequent death. She was also responsible for Relana's own abduction. But Relena could not help feel that no one deserved to be placed in an asylum where they would be kept in squalor and depravity even if they were mentally unfit.

And Relena was not sure that Une was unfit.

Perhaps Une was the victim of a husband keen to be rid of her as much as Treize was keen to be rid of Helena. Once Relena had thought of this she could not un-think it. It preyed on her mind during the ride home from Dorothy's estate, it plagued her during the evening to the extent that Lucrezia commented on her quietness and feared that Relena was sickening for something.

Quatre had been quietly supportive of the silent Relena, and Relena had been very grateful for this. At length he explained to Lucrezia the outcome of the visit to Dorothy.

"Oh you must be disappointed." Lucrezia had commented trying to comfort Relena misunderstanding the reason for her silence. Whilst Relena was still concerned about purchasing the mill and helping all the workers, she was also concerned about Lady Une. When she had told Lucrezia this stunned silence was all that had greeted her. Lucrezia had placed her fork down upon the table and had shook her head in disbelief.

"I do not understand you" Lucrezia had said in all honesty "But consider, if you do visit Lady Une what would Lord Yuy think of it?"

It was a phrase that was repeated to her often over the next day: Catherine, Wufei, Hilde with the ever-present Duo, Minister Darlian all asked the same question.

Relena had thought at the time that Heero would understand her desire to help the unfortunate, her willingness to forgive the past and work towards a better future. But now that the task of retrieving Lady Une was complete she was a little less sure of herself.

A lot less sure.

Wufei had point blank refused to accompany her on her quest to see how Lady Une was and Relena did not push him. Wufei was questioning his faith and did not have any spirit left in him at the moment to forgive or to help. Relena did not ask Lucrezia not wishing to put her sister in law under any additional stress. Quatre, although always eager to help, was due to return to London and Relena felt that her brother would not appreciate her encroaching on any more of the diplomat's time. The obvious choice was Dr Barry. The doctor was also preparing to quit East Sussex and try to return to her ship, but was happy to assist Relena with this task.

Barry had not asked what Heero would think, but had agreed to perform one last task for the Peacecraft family. She had been quite surprised to learn that Une had been committed and had shaken her head in disgust. A comment about husbands treating wives as property was uttered, but Barry refused to say anymore on that subject and seemed to regret saying anything. She had, however, asked what Wufei would think.

Relena had at the time been a little taken aback at the question, which she felt to be unexpected, but had explained that Wufei would not be party to the trip. Sally had nodded then quickly gone on to ask who else would be accompanying them on the excursion, as Relena could not travel along with a single 'man'. Relena had thought to ask Hilde, but had been unable to locate her friend. Catherine had been the obvious next choice and she had quickly agreed to the plan.

Together they had set out to the institution in which Une had been confined in the nearby town of Grinstead. It had seemed that Lord Une had been unwilling to have his wife travel back to London and had instructed his servants to dispatch her to the nearest asylum in location to Maresfield. Relena had been both indignant about this and relieved as it meant that the task could be achieved in just one day.

When the party had arrived at their destination Relena had been stunned,.

She had expected squalor and dirty surroundings but what she found was an elegant home in large grounds staffed by people dressed in crisp and clean uniforms and the inmates allowed to wander under supervision around the grounds. It had not been the place of depravity and misery that she had imagined with patients bound by chains and grimy with their own filth but a progressive institution that cared for its inmates.

Her second surprise was to find that Lady Une was not alone but had the company of Lord Une who proved to be a pleasant man of middle years who apparently was much enamoured with his wife and wanted only the best for her. Lord Une had been more than happy to talk to Relena and her party and had advised that Lady Une was well enough to leave but was in a deep depression over what had happened.

And it was true, Lady Une had the appearance only of a sad woman not a raving lunatic. She had asked Relena for forgiveness and had immediately asked after Mariemaia ­ a question that obviously gave Lord Une some pain. Relena had talked about her plans with regard to the mill and how that would help Mariemaia and the other children. Une had listened but seemed not to take it in.

Une was full of self-doubt and self loathing and constantly needed reassuring as to the fact that Relena had forgiven her. At length Relena had asked what she needed to do to convince Une that the past was in the past.

Lady Une had instantly replied: "Take me with you so that I can help the children."

It had not been a request that Relena had anticipated.

Lucrezia touching her shoulder snapped Relena from her musings. "My dear I do believe you should go and talk to Dr Jaye before he leaves"

Relena looked up at Lucrezia a little startled. She glanced at the door. Of course she must follow the doctor ­ he could not be allowed to leave without her explaining why she had done what she had done. Heero must not be allowed to find out about Une this way, she must tell him herself so that he could understand her reasoning. Relena nodded and rose to her feet. Une, like a mirror image, followed but Lucrezia put a hand on Une's shoulder.

"No, my dear, sit down. Relena will be back in a moment." Lucrezia said quietly. Une hesitated for then sat down, again her attention taken with the perceived spot in her handkerchief.

Relena smiled her thanks at Lucrezia, then ran out of the door after Dr Jaye.