Captivation

By kmf

Chapter 8

The standard disclaimer, as always, applies.

 

It was a beautiful summer evening. The sun was near to setting giving the clouds a warm pink glow. Shadows were cast long with the curious resolution that only sunset can bring. Duo cast a glance at the woman by his side. A perfect evening for a romantic walk with the girl of your dreams he thought.

Hilde's face glowed in the fading light, pink roses adorned her cheeks, her bonnet hid most of her hair but the strands that escaped gleamed with blue black highlights. She had taken off the pristine white apron that she usually wore. Duo noted with interest how the fine green lawn dress moulded to her curves as they walked along. It surprised him how much of a woman's form a small linen apron could conceal.

The path they took was lined with meadowsweet and tall nettles, the latter now caused the couple to move closer together to avoid their sharp sting. Duo felt his heart skip a beat as he caught the scent of Hilde's lavender perfume. As she walked she turned her head towards him and gave him a shy smile. Duo could not resist - he needed to taste those smiling pink lips that teased and beckoned him so. He bent his head closer to hers and

"Ewww!" a giggle came from behind them.

Duo sighed and pulled away from the tempting Hilde and looked over his shoulder at the mildly irritating Anne, who had appointed herself to be their chaperone for the evening. Not that they needed a chaperone.

After Duo had apologised to Hilde and had been forgiven he had set himself to the task of winning her father over; a task that he had been decidedly nervous about. Hilde's father was a veritable giant of a man; tall, blonde with muscles that had been developed over many years participating in good honest labour. He was also a protective father and had made it clear on their first encounter that Duo was not particularly welcome. However, it had been Hilde who had awarded him a black eye - she had a particularly vicious right hook that she had been taught by her dear Papa. She also had an alarming amount of natural talent for the sport of boxing.

Hilde had made it clear to her father that all was forgiven, and Duo had spent an uncomfortable evening sitting across the table from Mr Schbeiker watching him every so often flex his biceps at him. Each time elicited an involuntary gulp from Duo and a look of smug satisfaction from Mr Schbeiker. Finally Duo had flexed his own biceps back at giant farmer. Unfortunately the effect was sadly lacking and the only response from Mr Schbeiker had been bellows of laughter. Still, it had seemed to do the trick. Mr Schbeiker had called him a funny little man and had told Duo to come work on the farm for a few weeks and soon he would have muscles that could, perhaps, rival Hilde's.

He had also from that moment left Duo and Hilde alone. Mr Schbeiker had every confidence in his eldest daughter. He knew that she was a sensible child and would not allow herself to get into any trouble. He also knew that if Duo got too fresh Hilde would put him in his place.

However, Anne had taken to following them about. It was not that the younger Miss Schbeiker particularly enjoyed Duo's company, although she did always greet him with a bright smile. She was just doing what any younger sister would do; annoy her elder sibling. Whenever they walked Anne would always be there grinning and making comments if they got too close. Hilde would draw back and send a glare of irritation at her sister and the wonderful opportunity of a kiss would be lost.

As it was this evening.

Duo looked forward towards Hilde who was striding with purpose along the path. It had been Duo's intention just to wander aimlessly on such a warm and happy summer evening, but now he had a germ of an idea in his mind and his direction took purpose. He lengthened his stride and walked ahead of Hilde to where the path forked. Pointing to his left he said.

"Let us go this way"

Hilde shrugged and moved in the direction he had indicated and Anne followed, a big grin on her face smug with the satisfaction that she had been able to thwart Hilde. Duo waited until she had gone by and let himself grin. The path he had chosen led towards a small lake known locally as Weeping Water. It was a quiet place surrounded by old leafy oak trees and hornbeams, gnarled and stunted with age. In fact it could be quite an eerie place when the sun was behind clouds and the water no longer reflected the trees but was dark and shadowy.

Duo picked up his pace and caught the two ladies up. Hilde was picking the seed heads off the tall grass as she walked, stripping them of seeds and letting them scatter through her gloved fingers along the side of the path.

"St Swithin's Day, if it do rain

For forty days it will remain

St Swithins Day an it be fair

For forty days twill rain nae mair"

Hilde recited the motto as she walked along. "Today is St Swithin's so the summer promises to be beautiful." she said, smiling slightly as his raised eyebrow.

"All the tears St Swithin can cry

St Bartlemys mantle wipes them dry"

Duo responded, winking "See I know some country law too."

Anne scoffed "Mottos like that are silly. It never rains for forty days and nights." she said.

Duo grinned. "Sometimes the motto or myth may seem silly, but often there is a seed of truth to them." he gestured towards the lake they were approaching. They had entered under the cover of trees and it was darker and less cheerful than before. The sun was setting and soon it would be twilight. "Are there any tales about Weeping Water."

"It is said that a woman called Peg O'Mally lives under its surface, in amongst the weeds, waiting to pull the unwary in with her." Hilde said, walking swiftly to the edge of the lake. Some boulders were arrayed there and she carefully scrambled up them. Standing on the highest rock she surveyed the water.

 

 

"Oh, and would I enjoy being pulled into the depths by the luscious Peg?" Duo asked "Is she a sumptuous nymph who will award me with a watery kiss?"

Hilde laughed out loud "Only if you like your water nymphs to be old hags with long green teeth."

"She is supposed to be a witch." Anne said, standing a little way back from the water "But it is just a tale to keep children from the waters edge, nothing more. I do not believe in witches."

Duo looked at her thoughtfully "Still, there could be an element of truth in the story. There might have once lived here an old woman called Peg O'Malley. And do not dismiss the supernatural so readily. I have heard tales that would turn your hair white. Tales that I could not explain away."

Anne hugged herself, unconsciously shivering. The evening was drawing in and the woods were looking less and less inviting.

"Mr Maxwell, kindly do not scare the child." Hilde said crossly from her perch up on the rocks.

Anne bridled at being called both a child and scared. She ignored Hilde's warning, and turned to Duo "I would hear this tale of yours." she said, sticking her chin out in determination.

Duo had to smile. Anne looked at that moment very much like Hilde; what was it about the Schbeikers that made their women so strong and determined. Before Anne noted the smile it was gone, and Duo moved closer to her.

"This story is true and it happened to a friend's friend's uncle's employer. He, like you, scoffed at the old myths and legends and he, like you, said that they were silly old wives tales. And for that disbelief he paid the ultimate penalty." Duo had lowered his voice almost to a whisper, drawing closer to Anne who watched him with wide eyes. "He was a farmer, like your father. A good man, an honest man. There was a small wood near by his farmhouse though which he would often ride in the evening twilight. The wood, it was rumoured, was haunted but the man did not believe in tales of spirits and ghosts. He openly said that it was a load of nonsense, until the day when he had no choice but to believe."

Anne had taken a step back from Duo as he advanced on her. She had wrapped her hands around her waist and her smile had faded somewhat. Duo could tell that she wanted to hear more, but was a little scared just the same.

"This farmer was heading home one night after a drink with his fellows. They had warned him not to go through the woods, but he had laughed loudly, reaffirmed his disbelief and set off confidant of a quiet ride home. But something had heard his denials and sought to teach him a lesson." Duo paused again. The twilight in the forest was growing, the shapes of the trees becoming more menacing. An owl hooted nearby and Anne jumped. Duo continued "As he was riding through the wood he was suddenly overtaken by a pack of hounds. Big and black they were with glowing white eyes the size of saucers. Behind them came a huntsman, covered head to foot in a cape so that his features could not be discerned. Not a sound could the farmer hear, no baying from the hounds, nor hoof fall from the horse. Stealing himself he decided to act brave "What ho!" he cried out.

Hilde coughed suddenly and Duo knew that she was trying not to laugh.

"What ho!" Duo continued "Have you had a successful hunt?" he paused again "There was no response from the huntsman. The farmer, feeling very bold and a little merry from the excellent ale at the pub called out again 'Will you share your game with me?' At once the black huntsman threw to him a heavy sack tied with a cord. As soon as the farmer caught the sack all the hounds began to bay and howl and the huntsman's horse snorted. The huntsman himself said nothing, but urged his horse on and he and the pack disappeared into the night."

Anne's eyes now were wide. "What was in the sack?" she asked in a whisper.

"By now it was too dark for the farmer to see, so he travelled back to his house. By lamplight he undid the knot on the bag and opening it he saw...." Duo narrowed his eyes and whispered "...the body of his own daughter."

With timing that Duo could not possibly arrange a dog suddenly howled in the distance. Anne gave a little screech of fear, then glared at Duo.

"You are making that up!" she cried "What a nasty tale! You are horrible, I am going home and I am going to tell Papa!" she spun on her heels and ran off as fast as she could to escape the darkening gloom of the wood.

Duo could not watch her go. He was laughing so hard he had to hold his side. Hilde, unfortunately, was not. She was staring at him with her hands on her hips, her eyes narrowed in what he assumed was anger. His laughter gradually faded and he stood up.

"What ho?" she repeated.

Duo grinned apologetically. "Do not tell me you too are an unbeliever?" he said walking towards her. He held out a hand and helped her jump down from the rock she had been standing on. Rather than moving back as her feet became level with his, he stayed still so she was forced by the nearness of the rock to stand very close to him.

"Why, Mr Maxwell, do you have another tale to tell me that will make me have nightmares for weeks on end?" she asked, trying to keep her lips in a serious straight line.

Duo shook his head slowly, looking deep into her eyes. "No more tales to tell you, but you look like you could tell me a tale or two. You yourself look like you have stepped right out of a legend." He raised his hand to tuck a stray wisp of hair back into her bonnet.

Hilde raised an eyebrow "Are you comparing me to Peg O'Mally?" she asked, eyes glittering dangerously.

Duo laughed out loud "No, Miss Schbeiker. You remind me now of tales of fairies of old. They used to say beware of the beautiful fairies dressed in green, look not on them least they steal your soul away." he lowered his hand from her hair and traced it down her jaw line, tilting her head back a little.

"Should you not look away then Mr Maxwell?" Hilde whispered, her lips tempting him with every word she spoke.

"It is far too late for that." Duo replied, lowering his mouth to hers finally tasting her. She was as sweet as he imagined, her lips still at first, shy and innocent. Then she kissed him back, her hands reaching up to entangle her fingers in his hair, and Duo felt as if he had died and gone to paradise. His legs felt weak, his heart raced and all he wanted to do was to stay pressed against her, touching her, kissing her forever. As if guessing his ardour, Hilde pulled away, her cheeks rosy with a blush, her eyes lowered to ground in shyness, but her lips smiling.

Duo reclaimed her hands and sank to his knees. Holding her hands against his heart he said "I lost my soul the minute I saw you standing in that ball room." His eyes were solemn and serious "Miss Schbeiker, ...Hilde...please marry me."

 

* * *

 

Early the next morning Relena heeded Dr Barry's advice and went to visit Wufei. She walked the distance as it was not far and she felt the need to get her limbs moving. Sleep had been hard won the night before, her mind full of Heero. By now, she was sure, Dr Jaye would have conveyed the news of her actions and Heero would be deciding what to do. The thought of that had kept her tossing and turning in her bed until the dawn chorus had spilled out through the misty light of early morning.

Scattered amongst her dreams, musings and thoughts of Heero had been the revelation of who Quatre's true love was: Dorothy Catalonia.

"Ah, I see that your intuition did not show you this." Quatre had commented with a sad smile "I am relieved that it is not just me who is getting lost within the tangle of lovers."

Dorothy and Quatre.

Relena shook her head. She had difficulty seeing why Quatre had fallen for such a caustic woman. But then Quatre had a gift that showed him the true heart of a person. Perhaps under all that sarcasm and mistrust there was a loveable soul. Relena hoped that this was true for she loved Quatre in a brotherly fashion and did not wish for him to be sad.

She had asked if Dorothy felt for him as he felt for her, but he had shaken his head and told her that Dorothy, like Relena, was difficult to read and he had no idea.

Relena sighed as she walked, the hem of her light muslin gown soaking up the morning dew and her leather slippers shiny with the dampness of the grass. Dorothy and Quatre, Rashid and Catherine, herself and Heero. All three couples had the opportunity to be blissfully happy if stubbornness could be overcome.

Although it was still very early, the Rectory where Wufei and Rev Darlian resided showed signs that people were up. Smoke was issuing from a chimney; breakfast was probably being cooked for the inhabitants of the house. Relena smiled, she had timed her visit well; she was hungry after her brisk walk. As she approached she noted that two horses were saddled out to the front of the house, one with bulging saddlebags. Relena slowed as she walked up to the burdened horse and patted it gently. It blowed and snuffled into her hand, searching for a treat.

"I am sorry." Relena apologised "I have no sugar for you." she patted the horse's neck in compensation. Moving past the horses to the front door of the house she wondered who could be visiting her stepfather so early in the morning.

She let herself in without knocking; Reverend Darlian had always said that the Rectory was her home. And so it felt too. It still contained the restful presence of her dead stepmother, and Relena always felt at peace when she visited here.

"Hello Mama." she whispered. There was, of course, no reply but Relena knew in her heart that her stepmother watched over her and listened to her. She stood in the hall for a minute, her eyes closed letting the familiar comfort wash over her. Voices interrupted her musings and listening to identify where they were coming from she followed them to the dining room where she supposed her family was having breakfast.

Opening the door she saw that the meal was almost over, empty dishes sat on the sideboard and used plates still sat on the table waiting to be taken away.

"Good morning Papa." Relena greeted Reverend Darlian, who stood as she entered.

"Relena! I am so pleased that you made it." he said holding out his arms to her. Relena ran to his embrace and returned it, enjoying his distinctive scent of tobacco from the pipe that he habitually smoked. "Dr Barry said that he had told you to come, but when Wufei decided to go early I thought that you would miss them."

Relena pulled back looking up at her father. Following his gaze she saw that Reverend Darlian was not alone in the room. Sitting at the table was Wufei who avoided her gaze, and Dr Barry who nodded to her. She realised then that the horse at the front belonged to Dr Barry. "Miss them?" Relena asked putting two and two together.

Reverend Darlian's smile faded as he looked at Wufei in disappointment. "You did not tell her?" he asked, shaking his head.

Dr Barry got to her feet "May I suggest that we let Wufei and Miss Peacecraft talk alone." she said, taking the Reverend's arm and leading him to the door. Reverend Darlian nodded, but said nothing other than giving Relena a reassuring smile.

Wufei did not look at her. Even after the click of the door closing announced that they were alone. Relena stood where she was, unmoving, her hands clenched at her sides trying to suppress the anger that she felt. The clock on the mantelpiece ticked loudly in the silence. Still Wufei did not look at her instead choosing to stare into the fragile china cup in front of him.

Finally Relena spoke "You are running away." she stated, her voice rough with emotion.

Wufei still did not look towards her. "I am not running away." he replied.

"Yes you are!" Relena shook her head "And you were not even going to say goodbye to me. Why do you hate me so much that you would do something so cruel?"

Wufei turned his head to look at her "I was not trying to be cruel." he stated again. "We have grown apart you and I, I did not think that you would care."

Relena could not believe her ears. "Not care? Not care that my brother decides to leave without a farewell? You cannot believe that. Wufei, you are lying to me!"

Wufei shook his head "I am not you brother Relena, Millardo Peacecraft is. You have a new life now."

Relena walked around the table and drew a chair to sit next to Wufei. "Is that what you think? Because I have a new life I would forget the old? Forget you, one who I have known as my brother for a much longer time than Millardo?" she shook her head and captured his hand "Wufei, you are my brother! I love you! Even though you close me out of your life and no longer talk to me as once we did. Do not run away."

Wufei stiffened and pulled his hand away. "It is not I that pull away from you. You used to heed what I said, but now you follow your own ideas and do not consult with others. I told you that it was foolish to go to the Une woman, but you did not listen to me. After all that she and Kushrinada did to you. And me."

Relena tried to reclaim his hand, but Wufei stood up abruptly and turned his back on her "Wufei, it is part of the Christian creed to forgive and forget." she said, "Why do you find it so hard to accept that is what I have done?"

Wufei turned to look at her "I am no longer Christian." he said ignoring her startled gasp "I forwent that when I took a life."

"Wufei-" Relena tried to protest what he said, but he held up his hand to silence her.

"There is nothing more to say." Wufei shook his head at his sister's downcast face. "Be strong." He moved to her and embraced her quickly, kissing her on her cheek and then was gone.

Relena sat down in shock.

She had never expected this to happen. She knew her brother was unhappy since the accidental killing of Treize Kushrinada, but she had thought that he would pray to God and eventually find peace. She looked up as the door to the dining room opened hoping that it was Wufei, but it was her stepfather who entered. He strode to her side and embraced her in the familiar warm comforting hug of old that she so missed now that she was an adult and living her own life. Relena could not say anything for a moment because of the tears that choked her, but hugged back fiercely. If she felt upset at Wufei's departure, how must her father feel?

"I am so sorry Papa, it is all my fault. If I had not got caught up with Trieze, Wufei would never have killed him and would not be leaving you." finally she said.

"Hush now child." Reverend Darlian pulled away to regard his daughter. "What you say is not correct and you must not blame yourself for what has happened." He sighed a little and sat down in the chair that Wufei had so recently vacated. "I have known for a long time that Wufei was not happy with his life, and I am sorry to say that it predates the unfortunate affair with Lord Kushrinada by some years." his face took on a sadder look. "When we adopted Wufei it gave your step mother and I great joy, and I believe that Wufei found happiness with us too. But he also felt duty bound to follow our guidance even when it did not bring him happiness or contentment. It was a mistake that he became ordained-"

"No!" Relena protested, seeing the sadness in the old Reverend's eyes.

"Yes, Relena, it was a mistake. I knew it but I said nothing. Wufei did it because he wanted to follow our family tradition, he wanted to make me and your mother happy. I ought to have refused him, but I hoped that in time he would become happy and settled with his choice." Again the Reverend shook his head "Nor did he want to leave China, but did so out of duty to your mother. She loved him so and he her. He knew that we were returning because her health was failing and that she did not have long for this world so he came with us out of love and duty."

Relena wanted to shake her head and argue with her stepfather, but in her heart she knew it was right. Wufei had never been settled in East Sussex and had chaffed against the strictness of the church.

"He is doing the correct thing, with my blessing." Reverend Darlian continued. "I shall miss him sorely, but if I asked him to remain here it would make him more and more unhappy. He needs to find his own path Relena, and I pray that you understand."

Relena leaned forward and hugged the old man again. "I do Papa." she said sincerely.

"I also pray that you will understand the reasons why I have to go back to China." Reverend Darlian said after a pause.

Relena blinked and pulled away again "...China?" she repeated "You are going home?"

Reverend Darlian chuckled a little. "Not home, my dear - this is home for both you and I. But yes, I have decided to return to China."

Relena wanted to ask why, but in her heart she had already guessed.

"I have not been happy here since your step-mother died. I, like Wufei, came home because I knew it would make her happy. She so missed this little town and the green rolling downs. As happy she was in China she wanted to die where she was born. But I do not. I want to die in the country in which I feel I have made a difference. I want to teach Christian values to those who want to listen, not to a church full of parishioners who squabble about where they should sit and who cannot wait till the sermon is over so that they can gossip and pass on malicious rumours."

"Papa, it is my fault. If I had been more sensible those rumours would not have been started." Relena's eyes filled with tears once more.

"Tsk child!" Reverend Darlian told her off in mock stern tones. "Do you think everything is your fault?

Does the world suddenly revolve around you instead of the wonderful sun God placed in the sky?"

Relena had to smile at her stepfather and shook her head. Reverend Darlian smiled back "It is not because of you that I choose to do this, but because of me. Like Wufei I too need to follow my own path, my own destiny. Yours, I believe, is in this country where I know you will continue to put all your heart and all your effort into helping others. Mine is in China. And Wufei's? God only knows where he will end up, but I am sure he will have an interesting journey on his road." Reverend Darlian paused again and looked down at the girl in his arms "And I can only imagine it might be a pleasurable one too travelling with that fine looking lass." he whispered.

Relena pulled away in shock "You know?" she cried in surprise.

Reverend Darlian chuckled "I have eyes do I not? I find it difficult to believe that no one else noted what a fine figure she had. She reminded me of your stepmother when young, Mrs Darlian often used to gad about in britches." He grinned at the memory. "Barry is a very interesting woman, she will be good for Wufei."

Relena could only agree.