Disclaimer: NOT MINE. No...really.

Author's Notes: Wow, I'm glad to have sparked some people's interest with this story. Please, continue to tell me your theories as the story progresses. I mean, I know how it's going to end, but I'm very interested in what you all are interpreting along the way;) And thanks for the sweet feedback, too!!

Dedication: To my Japanese class, the craziest compliation of uniquely wacky individuals ever gathered in one place, for fifty minutes, four days a week.

****

Close Your Eyes
by Kristen Elizabeth

****

"Hilde Petra Schbeiker of the German colony on L2-85, former Ensign in the OZ organization and mobile suit flight operator."

The petite woman at the interrogation table smiled sweetly. "You can just call me Hilde."

"How about we call you Duo Maxwell's girlfriend?"

She lifted her shoulders. "That would be true, too. But really...it's more like he's *my* boyfriend."

"You know that we've already talked to him, don't you?" The younger detective watched her nod. "He told us all about the deceased and Miss Dorlian's relationship. Do you have anything to add to what he said?"

"Well, since I don't know exactly what he told you, no. I don't."

The older detective sighed. "You knew both of them, didn't you? The victim and the suspect? And you don't have any comments on their relationship?"

Hilde thought for a minute. "It was complicated."

"Fine." The man rubbed his shoulder wearily. "Why don't you tell us about that meeting on L2-175. Mr. Maxwell told us he meant to bump into Miss Dorlian. Is that true?"

She nodded. "He felt bad about not trying harder to contact her in that last year. She didn't talk to anyone though; I doubt she would have seen him even if he did try."

"This is all fascinating, really. But why don't you just skip to the part that explains why Miss Dorlian took a gun and..."

Hilde's cornflower blue eyes narrowed. "Relena didn't murder Heero. She loved him. He loved her. Yeah, sometimes their relationship was fucked up. But show me a relationship that isn't."

"They loved each other." The older detective looked puzzled. "But they weren't lovers, right?"

"Who told you that?"

"Your boyfriend."

Smiling sadly, Hilde shook her head. "There are things Duo doesn't know, detectives." She paused. "Relena and Heero were lovers in every sense of the word. I'm the only one who knows that."

The younger detective rolled his eyes. "Why were you alone party to this information, Miss Schbeiker?"

She glared at him. "Because I'm the only one who caught them in bed together, you idiot." A look was exchanged. The older detective gestured, indicating that she should go on. Hilde sighed and began her story.

****

We picked him up on L1 on our way to Earth. It was a total shock when Duo told me that he was the reason we were making the stop. I hadn't seen him in ages. Not since he left her. Or she let him go. Or he ran away. Or she pulled away. Whatever happened between them, only Duo and Trowa had spoken to him since. And Trowa was the only one who had seen him.

So, imagine my surprise when he was there, in the space port with a bag in his hand, waiting to join us on our trip to Earth. Duo didn't seem at all fazed. But then, Duo rarely lets anything faze him.

I remember poking him in the ribs. "What is he doing here?"

He gave me that innocent look of his. The one I don't trust. "He said he had to go with us. That's all I know." Before I could reply, he waved to his old friend. "Heero!" he shouted, causing most everyone around us to turn and stare. "Heero...buddy! You look like shit."

He was right, but he didn't have to say it so plainly. Heero brushed off the insult without a second thought. "It's been a hard year," was all he said. He nodded at me, expecting no greeting. His eyes were so lifeless. Not that they had ever sparkled or shone before. You know what I mean. Duo said it best. He looked like shit.

Most of the shuttle trip was quiet. Heero stared out the window at the stars as if he had never seen them before. Or perhaps, knowing what I know now, as though he knew it would be the last time he would see them up close. I tried to get him to eat one of the sandwiches I had brought for Duo, but he only took it and held it in his hand. Eating did not seem to be on his agenda. I had to wonder what was.

It had to be her. Any idiot, including Duo, could see they were still in love with each other. And that without one another, they were slowly dying. He was coming for her. Maybe to tell her that he loved her and couldn't bear to be without her for another day. Maybe they would break down and confess their mutual love and live happily ever after.

Yeah, I woke up from that fantasy about two seconds later.

If it were possible, he got even quieter as the car we had taken from Earth's spaceport approached the mansion overlooking the sea. I hadn't been there in a long time; she had cut herself off so well that past year. No one had been there, except maybe Quatre Winner. But even that I wasn't sure about; she might have kept even him away.

After we arrived, it was a full two hours before she made an appearance. I will never, ever forget the look on her face when she saw him standing in the parlor, waiting for her to come down the stairs. Trying to describe it could never do it justice. She looked like she wanted to scream, cry, shout and laugh all at the same time. There was a spark of life there between them both. Just by being around each other. That connection...I can't even think about it now without wanting to break down.

Sorry, I didn't bring any tissues. I thought I finished crying. You know, I wish I could say my tears were for Heero. I am sad that he's gone, don't get me wrong. But really...I'm crying more for her.

Yes, I know...you want me to talk about finding them in bed. It wasn't a great shock, I'll tell you that much. If anything, it was more of a relief. Like they had finally managed to put everything from the past behind them and were ready to start a new relationship and a new life together. I don't remember what I came into her room for. I think it might have been bobby pins. At any rate, I didn't knock and the door wasn't locked....you get the picture.

They weren't madly going at it. I tell you that in case your little detective imaginations are running away with you. They were asleep, peacefully naked in each other's arms. This was the day before her birthday party. Two days after we arrived. They didn't wake up; I simply let them be. No one else needed to know. Not even Duo.

Everyone likes to think that they were such distant people. That Heero had his life and Relena had hers. When all of this hits the press, I'm so afraid of what they'll say about them. The soldier and the princess. The victim and the accused. What you don't understand and what the public will never understand is this. They loved each other, probably with more conviction and passion than you'll ever feel for anyone in your entire life. Yes, they waited too long to do something about it. They let all the pain of the past carry more weight than the promise of the future. But it didn't destroy them. In the end, they found their way back to each other.

But...it was the end. The very end. And now...it's too late.

****

"Is that it?"

Hilde blinked. "What more do you want me to say?"

"Well..." The younger detective sighed as though he were speaking to a child. "We were sort of hoping you could shed some light on the murder. You did hear the shots. You did find the body."

"Yes. I did." She closed her eyes. "I'll be seeing his body for the rest of my life."

"Do you think she did it?"

"I already told you..."

The younger detective shook his head. "I want to hear you say it again."

Hilde lifted her chin. "Relena did not murder Heero."

"Did she kill him?"

"Are you deaf? I just said...."

"You said she didn't murder him. I'm asking if she killed him."

Hilde's reply was a long time in coming. "The gun belonged to Heero. I tell you that because you'll figure it out soon enough, anyways. It was his, left over from the war. I knew it was as soon as I saw it pulled from her hand. The only other time I had ever seen it was...." She stopped.

"Was when, Miss Schbeiker?"

"When...when Heero taught her how to load and fire it."

The older detective drew in a breath. "Do you think that Relena Dorlian killed Heero Yuy?"

"You know..." A tear slipped down Hilde's cheek. "I don't know what I think anymore."

****

TBC