Disclaimer: Not much of what you see here actually belongs to me, except the plot and two detectives and the words.

Author's Notes: Please keep continuing to tell me your theories. I love hearing them:)

Dedication: To Anastasia, the fluffiest bit of clawless kitty love in the world. Don't kick her, feed her treats and you'll get along great.

****

Close Your Eyes
by Kristen Elizabeth

****

"Please forgive me if I seem a bit....shaky." Quatre Winner looked down at his trembling hands. "I'm still in shock, I think. It doesn't seem quite real yet. Heero....he's dead..."

"Mr. Winner?" The older detective said after a moment, bringing him back to attention. "Are you up to this? We can wait...if you need some time."

The blond man nodded. "Thank you. I would appreciate that."

The younger detective threw up his hands. "Wait....I don't care who you are!! You're going to get questioned the same as everyone else...right now, while it's all still fresh in your mind. Got it??"

Unexpectedly, Quatre's eyes grew narrow. "You're just dying to get something on her, aren't you? All you want is to see her behind bars, right?"

"Well..." The other man shrugged indifferently. "That's generally where we like to put murderers."

"She's not a..." Quatre stopped before the word could pass his lips. "It's not your place to judge her."

The older detective rubbed his shoulder, working out a kink the long night had produced in his muscles. "We can wait, but not for too long, Mr. Winner. Our job, callous as it might seem, is to get to the bottom of what happened tonight. And if you have information that can do that, I think you're under an obligation to tell us."

Quatre was quiet for a minute. "What do you know so far?"

"Hey...we're asking the..." The younger detective was cut off by his partner.

"We know that the deceased and the suspect were lovers." He frowned. "This doesn't surprise you?"

"No." The faint traces of an ironic smile appeared on Quatre's lips. "It doesn't."

The younger detective took over. "They had been apart for a year, during which time no one saw the suspect. Everyone gathered back together for the suspect's birthday. Then, sometime during the party, she took his own gun and shot him twice directly in the..."

"As you can see...." His partner sighed. "Anything else you could tell us would be greatly appreciated."

"The deceased and the suspect," Quatre said softly. "Do you have to call them that? Can't you call them Heero and Relena?"

The older man smiled sadly. "In our line of work, you have to learn to detach yourself or else you'll go crazy. Now, Mr. Winner. Please. Help us."

Quatre's head lolled foward; he rested his forehead in the palm of his hand. "I'm afraid I can't."

"We could have you arrested for..."

Once more, the older detective interrupted his impetitous partner. "This can all be off the record, Mr. Winner. Just give us something that could lead to a piece in the puzzle."

The blond man shook his head sadly. "I can't do that. I'm sorry."

"What sort of secrets are you hiding?" the younger detective asked, suspiciously. "You know something....something big. Don't you?"

"It doesn't matter if I do or not." Quatre looked up. "Do what you like with me. But my promise to my friend is more important to me than anything else."

The younger detective opened his mouth, but his partner spoke first. "What I want to know is very simple, Mr. Winner. Why did the victim...Heero Yuy....why did he leave and not come back for a year? And why did she refuse to see anyone in that year? If I remember correctly, she didn't even make any public appearances. Did it hurt her that much? If so, he couldn't have loved her as much as Miss Schbeiker seems to think he did or else he couldn't have caused her that much pain, right?"

Quatre said nothing.

"Maybe that's the truth of it." The younger detective stroked his chin. "Maybe he didn't love her. Maybe he rejected her. And when he came back, he did it all over again."

"It's more than..." Quatre's voice was soft.

"I think we're onto something here," the younger man declared. "He left her and she went crazy. Refused to see anyone. Locked herself away, planning her revenge."

"No," Quatre said flatly. "You're wrong."

He went ignored. "And when he showed up at her birthday party, it all became too much for her. He fucked her one last time, making her think there was still a chance. Then....bam! Another rejection!"

The blond man balled up his fist. His slender frame shook ever so slightly. "Stop. You have no idea what you're..."

"She couldn't take it. Her insanity built. She found his gun...she found him."

"She didn't.... She couldn't. She was...she had been..."

"And without even one second thought, she blew him away. Two shots, straight through the chest...SAYONARA!!!"

"Pregnant!!"

The one word was followed by a thick blanket of silence. Quatre's chest rose and fell as he caught his breath. "She had been...pregnant. That year. He left....he didn't want to be a father."

Another long pause followed. The only sound in the interrogation room was Quatre's heavy breathing. The older detective finally spoke. "He left her alone to have their baby?"

Quatre nodded, on the verge of tears. "She told me a month after he left....that when she told him she was pregnant, he couldn't deal with it. He wasn't ready, she said." His head lifted; blue-green eyes flashed. "She did *not* resent him. She forgave him....throughout her entire pregnancy, she never had a bad word to say about him. Do you understand?? She loved him despite everything!!"

The younger detective looked at his partner. "What do you suppose being pregnant and rejected can do to a person's psyche? Especially when that person just waltzes back into your life a year later?"

His partner ignored him. "What happened to the baby?"

Quatre lifted his shoulders. "She never said. I assume though...that she gave it away. I wasn't there when she gave birth, but I saw her a week before. Healthy and very pregnant. You know....she looked happy."

"Mr. Winner." The older detective put a hand on his shoulder. "Was she happy to see him again? When he came for her party?"

"He never even asked about the baby." Quatre bit his lip; a drop of blood appeared on his pale skin. "He acted like her entire pregnancy had never even happened." His eyes grew dark. "He didn't deserve her."

The detectives looked at each other. "Where were you when the murder took place, Mr. Winner?"

Quatre didn't even blink. "I was discussing textile imports with the CEO of my company's major rival."

"Can you prove that?"

"Unfortunately." Quatre closed his eyes again. "Unfortuantely, I can."

****

TBC