**Okay, this is a bit unusual for me. Not only is the GW cast in a horror story, but I actually made Relena simper (urgh, that hurts me). Well, maybe not simper, but...you'll see.  I'll redeem her later. I actually came up with the idea for this while watching my boyfriend play his new computer game "Vampire: The Masquerade."ô Some resemblances can be found b/w elements in this and in the game (like the whole good/evil thing) ; pronounced differences won't emerge till later after the plot has thickened <insert scary organ music>. Anyway, enough of this. Hope y'all like it. Feedback would be much appreciated since I'm kind of unsure about this series. ~LS-U**** 


 

Dark Sins

Part 1: Prelude

by Lady Scarlet-Une

Prologue

Walachia1, 1270.

    The fires burnt around me, feeding on roof thatches and dry splintery wood.  In the distance, I heard a shrill scream.  My heart froze.  It had sounded like my mother.  I took a large breath and ran in the direction of the cry, past dark withering shapes and the guttural cries of both the slain and the slayers.  In the distance, I could see a large figure towering over a crumpled form.  My eyes widened and filled with grief when I recognized the fallen form.  Mother.

    The tall figure suddenly turned to me and I was suddenly assaulted by the sights and sounds of the carnage around me.  The figure began to move toward me, its eyes burning in the semi-darkness with lust, hatred, and madness.

    "Little girl," the man growled, his arm reaching out for me.  I stood still, frozen by both the terror coursing through my body and the mesmerizing glow in his eyes.  I choked back a scream as he grabbed my arm and pulled me roughly towards him.  I closed my eyes and whimpered as his breath brushed past my ear.

    "Looking for your mother, little girl?" he rasped out.  I flinched as I felt him draw up my skirt and place his hand on my thigh.  "She's gone now, little peasant.  No one can save you now."  He laughed deeply.  "And who will mourn the loss of one more stinking peasant?"  He pushed me to the ground and bunched my skirts at my waist, all the while unbuckling his pants.  "Relax, little one," he murmured softly as he prepared to enter me.  "You should feel honored that I would even consider using your heathen body."  I closed my eyes and waited for the violation.  Instead, I heard a sharp hiss and a soft cry.  I opened my eyes in time to see my attacker fall down to the ground next to me.  Above me stood a new form, a slight man with tousled brown hair and cold blue eyes.  I stared at him in fear, acutely aware of my nakedness.  He extended a hand down to me.

    "Come."

    I took his hand and followed him blindly down the burning streets past still forms and rampaging invaders.  No one took any notice of us and I fleetingly marveled at our alleged invisibility.  At one point, a marauder brushed right up against my skirts.  I tensed, but he took no notice of us.  Soon we arrived in the safety of the woods.  My rescuer suddenly flung me over one shoulder and, for a few moments, I was left totally blind as my skirts billowed over my head.  By the time I had freed myself, I was up in a high branch looking down at the smoldering remains of my village.

    "What happened?" I whispered, my voice trembling slightly in fear.  He ignored my question and looked down at the village instead.  I gently tugged on his sleeve.  "Pl-please, sir, tell me why my mother is dead and why those men are here."  He shrugged my hand off and I let it fall down to the branch upon which I sat.

    "Evil things run through this world," he said quietly after a prolonged silence.  I watched the fire shadows dance upon his face.  "While it may take on many forms, the most common is that found in the souls of men.  Your mother may have warned you of the supernatural evils hunting through the night, but did she ever warn you of the dangers of common men?"  I shook my head.  Mother had never been one to talk badly about others and she, above all, had been trusting and kind.  No, Mother had been too gentle to really believe in human evil.  "Know this, little angel," he continued, "those men there are marauders from another country who kill others - both peasants and not - to feed the evil that masquerades behind the words power and conquest.  They seek to overthrow your country and your tiny village is merely an inconsequential stepping stone on their path to glory."

    His words ran through my head in circles and I stared at him in confusion.  Sensing my lack of understanding, he shook his head and smiled at me instead.  The smile transformed his face and, for a moment, I thought I was staring at the face of an angel.  I slowly reached up and caressed his cheek with my hand.  He drew back, startled, and I immediately tucked my hands into the pockets of my skirt.  I continued to stare at him intently, however.

    "Are you an angel?" I whispered in awe.  My savior threw back his head and laughed then.  A shiver ran down my spine.  He did not sound very amused.

    "Oh, little angel, I am far from being anything so heavenly.  I am merely a young man who saw no harm in saving a small girl from the evil harshness of reality."  He smiled cruelly.  "That's more than you can say for your omniscient, kind God.  Where was he?"  He sighed.  "Never mind my words, little one.  Stay here and others will find you at dawn.  You will be safe then."  He got up and started climbing down the tree.

    "Wait!" I cried, reaching out to grab his arm.  I looked into his eyes and momentarily flinched under his intense gaze.  "What of you?  Please stay!  I...I feel safer when you are here."  He smiled at me again.

    "How ironic.  Alas, I cannot stay, little one.

    "Then take this to remember me by."  I unclasped my necklace and held it out to him.  He looked at the worn crucifix on the chain and, for a moment, I saw his eyes fill with grief.

    "No, small one, I cannot take it."

    "But you are my savior!"  

    He smiled sadly. "But I never said I was not evil."

    His words did not frighten me.  I reached into my pocket and withdrew my handkerchief instead.  I gently placed it into his hand.

    "You will always be wonderful to me," I whispered softly.  He said nothing, merely looking at our intertwined hands.  He lifted my hand - it looked so small in his - and silently kissed it.

    "I will be back for you one day," he whispered, his eyes burning into mine.  He dropped my hand and resumed his descent.

    "Wait!"  I cried again.  "You never told me your name!"  He had disappeared into the shadows of the forest floor by then.  My shoulders slumped and I stared morosely at the rough fabric of my apron. 

    "Heero," whispered a voice behind me.  I twisted my body around but saw nothing.  I knew he was there, though, protectively watching over me.

    "My name is Relena," I whispered in return.  I felt something caress my cheek in the darkness.

    "I will be back."

    The whisper died and I was left alone in my treetop perch.  I spent the rest of the night watching my village burn to the ground.

    The next morning, I was awakened to loud shouts from somewhere below me.  I unwrapped one arm from the tree's trunk and groggily rubbed my eyes.

    "Relena!"

    I looked down and saw the battered form of my neighbor's son, Duo Maxwell.  "Duo!"  I cried, smiling in relief, glad to see someone familiar.  "Get me down!"  Eventually, with the help of some other survivors, I was brought to the ground and placed in the protective arms of Duo's mother.  She looked at me with teary eyes.

    "Your...mother-"

    "Is dead," I stated simply.  She nodded and bit her lip.  Duo, not looking the least bit distraught despite his torn clothing, looked up at me curiously.

    "How did you get up there anyway?"  

    I looked down into his wide eyes.  "An angel," I replied simply.  I closed my eyes and promptly fell asleep in Dame Maxwell's arms.

 

Chapter 1

Walachia, 1279

    The sounds of the city jarred at my ears, the human cries contrasting greatly with the soft mellow sounds that I had become accustomed to in the mountains and forests.  Ahead of me, beneath a scarlet-canopied tent, was a young slip of a woman in a white gown.  I smiled happily and hastened my speed.

    "Relena!" I cried, my grin widening as her shocked expression gave way to delight.

    "Duo!" she replied, running into the circle of my arms.  I gave her a large hug and then promptly began twirling her in circles.  "Stop," she gasped between breaths.  "This sort of behavior is not appropriate for novice nuns."  I set her on the ground and stared at her habit critically.

    "A nun.  Who would have thought?" I snorted.  "You of the devious mind and evil laughter.  I still remember your childhood pranks."

    "Hush!" she whispered, staring about the marketplace uneasily.  "As a servant of God, such foibles of the past are now best forgotten in order to be a pure chalice for God's holy dignity," she stated primly.  I rolled my eyes as she painstakingly adjusted the skirts of her white novitiate gown.  

    "Of course, Miss Skunk Bunk."  Her face reddened in response to my childhood taunt and I smirked at her obvious attempts at self-control.  Sheer will power kept her from smacking me across the head with her basket and I recklessly laughed at the expression on her face.  I took her basket and companionably placed my arm through hers.  "Do not get holy on me, Relena dearest.  I remember eating your mud pies."  

    She smiled and changed the subject. "And what brings you back to civilization, Duo?  Last I heard from Mother, you were tramping about the Carpathian Mountains, blithe and carefree."  For a few moments, my smile froze on my face and I fought a frown and dark memories.  Not now, not with her.

    "I am back because of you, Relena dearest," I replied breezily, banishing the dreaded thoughts from my head.  "Mother told me you were taking your vows this Sunday."

    "Oh yes," she sighed happily, her eyes shining in anticipation.  "I will finally become a real nun this Sunday.  I can hardly wait."  The look of joy on her face caused me to hesitate for a few seconds.  I voiced my doubts despite this.

    "Are...are you sure you want to do this, Relena? You can still back out if any doubt remains..."  I let my voice trail away at the sight of her determined expression.

    "God saved me once from death, Duo," she replied, her voice tight.  "My mother died - our village died - and we who survived owe the Lord all we can give him in repayment.  I am doing this to show him the extent of my gratefulness and understanding, Duo.  I will become his servant and help others like he helped me.  Like he helped us."  

    I did not bother replying and the rest of the walk to the convent was silent.  I looked at its imposing walls and shuddered inwardly.  It looked so foreboding and grim.  How could she want to spend the rest of her life cloistered away there? It seemed a shame.  I glanced over at her and was struck by the distraught expression on her face.  She seemed repulsed by the convent before her like I, but determined as well, zealously so.  "Relena," I said gently, shaking her shoulders slightly.  She blinked for a few seconds before turning to me with an uncertain smile on her face.  "Where were you?  You looked miles and miles away."  I frowned at her in concern, but her smile merely brightened.

    "Oh, just thinking.  Excuse me for my momentary lack of attention."  The church bells began to ring and I watched her look at the setting sun in alarm.  "Oh dear, it is later than I thought.  Evening Mass will start soon and then-"  She gestured with her hands helplessly.  I smiled reassuringly and hugged her close.

    "I understand.  I will see you tomorrow, all right?"

    "If I can get out," she replied softly.  I placed a kiss on her cheek.

    "Goodbye, Relena.  I love you."  She returned my kiss and turned to leave.

    "Goodbye, brother," she called over her shoulder.  "I love you, too."  She walked through the gates and was swallowed up by the dark convent doorway.

    "But Relena, I love you," I whispered softly after her.  Sighing, I turned around and began walking back towards my quarters.    

 

Chapter 2

    I sat in the flickering darkness of my throne room, idly fingering a worn piece of cloth.  It had been nine years since she had last seen me.  What a beautiful child she had been, with wide blue eyes and dark blond hair.  Her innocence had captivated me then and still held me in thrall to this day.  For nine long years I had silently watched her grow, basking in her beauty from the shadows.  She was pure, so unlike myself.  She was sacred.  She was my holy light.

    "Lord Heero."

    My head shot up and I glanced across the room at my advisor's still form.  "Yes Trowa?"  He walked up the aisle and knelt before my dais.

    "The Russian delegation has arrived and seeks your presence."  

    I sighed.  Being the High Lord had both good and bad points.  This was one of the latter, for the Russians were notoriously bloodthirsty, temperamental, and devious.  I was not looking forward to their audience.

    "Are their demands unchanged, Counselor?"

    "Unfortunately, sire.  It seems they have grown more...vehement about them as well."  Trowa paused thoughtfully.  "I fear the worst."

    "Bah! If only I could get rid of them!"  I cried in frustration, banging a fist on the arm of my throne.  Trowa shrugged.

    "You know as well as I that the Blood Rules prohibit such an action.  The repercussions would be...heinous.  The Council is never kind to those who break its rules."

    I sighed, acknowledging his words.  "Yes, but still..." My voice trailed of.  "Very well, Trowa.  Send them in.  It would be best to get this over and done with."  

    Trowa bowed once more.  "Your wish is my command, Excellency."  He disappeared and left me alone.  I stared down at the handkerchief in my hand again.

    "Relena," I whispered softly.  I kissed it reverently before placing it back into my tunic pocket.  This, alas, was not the time for old memories.  I could sense the Russians closing in already, Trowa's ever-calm presence trailing behind them slowly.  The throne room doors opened and two scarlet-liveried soldiers walked in and flanked it at each side.  They bowed at me before standing at attention.  My herald appeared shortly afterwards.

    "I present to you, oh High One, Barons Chaikov and Molokov from the Russian province." 

    Both men walked in and bowed before me.  I frowned inwardly.  I could already feel them prying at my mind, questioning the extent of my powers.  The fools.

    The rest of the court filed in behind them, their scarlet attire resembling an ocean of blood.  I could feel their thoughts, alternately petty and deep, surround me like the faint buzzing of a hive.  I smiled wryly.  Would that mean I was their Queen?

    "All bow before his Majesty," cried the herald.  The sea of bodies instantly dropped to its knees, all heads lowered in homage.  I narrowed my eyes.  Baron Chaikov had actually raised his a bit.  Interesting.  "All hail his Excellency, High Lord Heero Yuy, Supreme Vampyre Ruler.  May his reign and benevolence guide us on our path of eternal damnation."

    "All hail," relied the court.  "High Lord, we pledge our fealty and loyalty to you, oh Great One.  May your dark light shine upon us always."

    I nodded my head.  "At ease."  All raised their heads and stood.  For a second, before he had fully raised his face, I saw a malevolent expression cross Baron Chaikov's face.  If I had been human, my blood would have run cold at the sight of his intense animosity.  I chose sardonic amusement instead.

    'Treason.' The word flittered through my head and I looked in Trowa's direction expectantly.  I saw his head shoot up from across the room and watched him stare at the Russians thoughtfully.  Trowa was the only other Vampyre who could even remotely read my mind.  What I let him read, at any rate.  Our eyes locked and he inclined his head slightly.  Treacherous times were approaching.  My soul perversely rejoiced at the prospect.  Nothing - besides her- had fully occupied my attention in a long time, and I had always been one for a good challenge.  I would enjoy breaking them.

    "Good sirs, begin your speech."  I sat back and waited for the inevitable.

~~~

    "I am disturbed." 

    I looked up from my papers and raised an eyebrow.  "Why, Trowa?" I asked pointlessly.  I already knew the answer.

    "These Russians are very clever.  Their phrasing today was excellent.  By using the humans as scapegoats, not only did they appeal to the natural arrogance of the Court, but they also appealed to their deepest fears as well.  It was too well done."

    "Yes," I replied thoughtfully.  "The humans have long feared us, but the recent murders of our fellow brethren by The Brotherhood has shaken many."  I steepled my fingers and frowned.  This secret organization had been eradicating vampyres for the last two years, victims ranging from the lowliest fledging to high-ranking and all powerful courtiers.  Nothing was known about them and their methods were chillingly effective.  One of my close advisors, Treize, had been murdered by them five months ago.  Avenging his death was not a distasteful idea.  "Their demands are too high, though," I continued, "and slightly preposterous at face value.  How can land concessions guarantee full proof protection from these deadly humans?"     

    Trowa shrugged.  "I know not, my Lord.  And I concur that their claims of protection seem idle at best.  However, we cannot simply ignore them."

    "Yes. That would lend fire to my numerous enemies in Court as well as give them a sort of perverse credence.  But how do we disprove them? Or figure out their secret reasoning or means of prevention?"

    "I do not know as of yet, your Excellency.  Give me some time to ponder the problem.  I swear by the blood of my Maker that I will serve you well in this."

    I smiled wryly.  "I am your Maker, Trowa."

    Trowa shrugged and a ghost of a smile appeared on his normally expressionless face.  "The more reason to work well, my Lord.  I must live up to my lofty heritage."

    I laughed lightly and stretched.  "So be it, Trowa.  On another note, I will be going out this evening.  I have some matters to attend to."

    "Of course, your Excellency," Trowa murmured.  I glanced at him in amusement.  I had not told him about Relena, but Trowa had always been keenly astute and observant.  I shrugged.  He had earned my trust through the years, though, and I could not begrudge him what little knowledge he had gleaned.  The fact that he had been able to gather that much was a tribute to his skills.

    "Very well then.  I shall see you tomorrow."

    "Give her my regards."

    I did not bother replying.  I simply shrugged my shoulders again and disappeared.

***

    The walls of the convent closed in around me and I struggled against an overwhelming sense of panic. 

    'Is this really how you want to spend the rest of your life?' questioned a pensive voice in my head.  I wrapped my arms around my waist and stared at the crucifix on the opposite wall in front of me.  These treacherous thoughts always came at night, preventing me from obtaining necessary sleep and, most importantly, salvation.  Salvation meant him. 

    'What of children?' persisted the voice.  'A loving husband? A home?' it whispered seductively, flashing gorgeous rose-tinted pictures in my mind of what could be.  I shut my eyes tight and fought to picture Jesus instead, Christ's visage as depicted in the portrait in the rectory.   He appeared in my mind instead.

    "Heero," I whispered reverently in the darkness.  The voices instantly stilled and a wave of peace washed over me.  It was for him, my angel, that I trod the path I was upon.  It was because of him that I had donned the habit and veil.  If I strived toward holiness...if I ran towards God...then I would be running towards him.  My angel. My savior. My light.

    A cold chill swept across the room and I suddenly felt eyes upon me.  My eyes shot open and I looked around fearfully, wary of any intruders.  My chamber, like always, was empty except for me.  A movement from the corner of my eye caught my attention.  I twirled around and, for a moment, saw his face in the faint light of the window.

    "Heero," I exclaimed softly.  His eyes widened briefly before he disappeared from my sight. "No!" I cried and ran towards the window. I stuck my head out and looked around wildly, all to no avail.  He was gone. 

    "Do not leave me again, my angel," I whispered into the dark.  The wind swallowed up my small cry and I shivered under its relentless onslaught.  I dropped my head in grief.  "Come back."  I waited, but there was no reply.  There was nothing here for me now.

    "Relena."

    My head shot up again and I looked around.  Where was he?

    "Look up."

    He floated above me gracefully, flying despite the absence of angelic wings, his face hidden under a roof eave.  I stared at him wordlessly for several moments.  I had waited so long.

    "Are you going to invite me in?" he asked, his voice amused.  I stepped back from the window and watched as he floated into view.  I reached out slowly and gently grabbed his hand.  A tingle ran up my arm and I closed my eyes briefly, relishing in the sensation.  I opened them and was instantly entranced by the bright intensity of his gaze.  I smiled.

    "Welcome back," I replied softly.  He smiled and, for a few moments, I knew I was truly in Heaven.

~*~*~*~*~

 

1: former principality of what is now Romania.  it is now the most populated region within the country and holds the nation's capital, Bucharest.