Dark Sins

Part 2: Nocturne

by Lady Scarlet-Une

Chapter 3

    I sat by the fireplace and fought irrational uneasiness.  For some odd reason, the air felt wrong tonight, the night gloomier than usual.  I shook my head and attempted to banish these odd worries from my head.

    'You are just nervous about the upcoming meeting,' I told myself sternly. 'Be rid of all these nonsense thoughts.' And yet my thoughts kept straying back to Relena--

    A knock on the door interrupted my reverie.  I immediately tensed and stared at the door raptly.  Another impatient knock spurred me across the room and I threw the door open.

    "Master Duo, you look so hopeful.  Were you hoping I would come?"

    I smiled coyly at Anna, the inn's tavern wench, all the while mentally lamenting the false alarm.  Where the hell was that blasted message, anyway?

    "No, little miss, this is my usual welcome to all visitors.  I find it's best to make your visitors feel special."  I looked her over, unconsciously lingering over the top of her large, exposed bosom.  Despite my affection for Relena, I had to admit that Anna was well endowed .  "Especially lovely female visitors."

    Anna laughed and hit me playfully on the shoulder.  "P'shaw, Master Duo! How you make me blush!"  She reached up and began gently tugging on the end of my braid.  "But do you need...company tonight, sir? It is awfully cold."  She licked her lips.  "And two bodies are always warmer than one."

    Swallowing uneasily, I freed my braid from her questioning hand.  "Not tonight, Anna," I replied gaily.  "I fear my means are far to modest to afford such a beauty like yourself."

    "Then consider this a free gift."  And with that, Anna wrapped an arm around my neck and kissed me.  I stood stone still in shock, thrown quite off-balanced by her actions.  My surprise increased as I felt her free hand creep into the waistband of my pants and gently squeeze my buttocks.  She broke the kiss and looked into my eyes deeply.

    "You know where to find me," she whispered before turning around and sashaying down the hall. 

    I stared at the hallway wall in shock for a few moments after she left.  With precise, careful, movements, I closed the door, walked back to the fireplace, and reached down into the back of my trousers to gingerly finger the spot she had lovingly paid attention to.  I smiled in amusement as I withdrew a folded up piece of paper from my underwear.  'What interesting methods this organization practices.'  The note, as always, was terse and to the point.

'Be at the Golden Goose Tavern exactly fifteen minutes after the one o'clock bell tonight. Bring no one.'

    I tossed the note into the fire and watched it burn with giddy anticipation.

***

    Upon arriving at the Golden Goose, I was directed towards the back room by a rather surly bartender.  I maneuvered my way through the crowd and eyed the patrons nonchalantly.  My reserve was quite unnecessary; The Leader never made appearances without the tightest security measures and I guessed that easily half of the tavern's customers tonight were Brotherhood brethren. 

    "Got a coin to spare?"

    I recoiled at the drunken man's breath and stared at him in mild distaste.

    "I think you've had enough to drink already, man," I replied stiffly.  I moved to walk around him but was instantly neutralized as the man unceremoniously draped himself on me.  He began rummaging through my coat packets and patting my body clumsily.  Offended, I pushed him off me and strode towards the back room door.

    "Knock twice first," commanded a stern voice behind me.  I turned around and looked in surprise at the drunkard.  His eyes, unlike before, were now clear and sharp, and his posture contained a sort of innate grace.  He smiled coldly at my startled expression.

    "If you don't knock twice, The Leader will assume you did not pass inspection and are armed."  He paused delicately.  "Then he will kill you on sight."  He slouched once more and began swaying unsteadily.  "Tight wad miser!" he yelled loudly, waving a fist vaguely in my direction and continuing his masquerade.  Shaking my head, I rapped on the door twice and entered.

    The room was merrily lit by a flickering fireplace and a dozen glowing candles.  The table held two cups and a bottle of wine.  I watched from a respectful distance as one of the cups was lifted and drunken out of.

    "It is a pleasure to finally meet you, Duo Maxwell.  I've heard much about you."

    The voice was low and elegant, perfectly fitting the tall, thin man sitting in front of me.

    "I have been looking forward to this meeting as well, sir."  

    The blond-haired man waved his hand casually.  "Please, no need for formalities.  You are now of the members of the Inner Sanctum and are thus privy to certain new rights."  He smiled wryly.  "Like calling me by my first name."

    I returned his smile and hesitantly took the seat opposite his.  "All right...Zechs."

    Zechs Marquise smiled and leaned back into his chair.  "Thank you.  Now, do you know why you've been called here tonight, Maxwell?"

    I shook my head.

    "This is more than just an introductory meeting for The Brotherhood's newest Inner member, Duo.  This is...a lesson of sorts.  Tonight, I will indoctrinate you in the specific mechanics of these vampires we hunt and kill."  He steepled his fingers and stared at me for a few moments in silence.  I tried my best to look serious and stoic, but ended up squirming uncomfortably under his gaze instead.

    "Do you know why I began this organization, Duo?"

    Again I shook my head.

    "This is not a story I tell lightly.  Few people know of it because of the special, personal significance it holds.  But, given your field record and the positive nature of the surveillance reports, I feel you are more than worthy of the honor."

    They had been watching me?! Not that there was anything dastardly about my actions, but still...

    He raised an eyebrow at my alarmed expression.  "We do not accept members into The Brotherhood's Inner Sanctum lightly, Duo.  We are quite thorough in our research."

    I reddened under the mild rebuke.

      "But I digress.  The reasoning behind The Circle's founding stems back to an incident that occurred long before this organization's inception.  When I was a younger man, I met and was engaged to a wonderful girl named Lucrezia Noin.  We were...madly in love.  In the course of our engagement, we happened to develop this habit of taking evening strolls in the woods surrounding our village.  We would spend the time talking about our day and crooning nonsense words of love and what not.  But, one day, we ran into a pair of men who attacked us.  I tried to protect her, but one of them distracted me and promptly wrestled me to the ground.  I then watched the other assailant bite the neck of my beloved Lucrezia and suck her dry."

    I sat in stunned silence and digested Zech's words.  His face was now a grim mask.  I knew, without any uncertainty, that Zech Marquise hated his enemies and that he would do anything within his power to avenge his loss.

    "I can still hear her screams in my mind, hear her calling my name."  Zechs shook his head to clear bitter memories.  "At any rate, I blacked out and awoke sometime later that night.  I was alone.  The monsters did not even leave me a body to mourn over and bury.  So, from that day on, I dedicated my life to destroying those evil monsters and avenging the death of my beloved Lucrezia.  This organization is the cohesion of my goal into a more efficient and dynamic entity.  The Brotherhood is a way of sending all those bastards to hell."

    We sat in silence for several moments, intermittently sipping from our cups of wine and staring contemplatively into the fire.

    "But this is not just about revenge."

    I turned my head to find him looking at me intently.

    "This is also about salvation, Duo.  With each vampire we kill, we save countless numbers of innocent people who would have fallen prey to these infernal bastards, people who may have been doomed into eternal damnation themselves.  We work for the preservation of humanity and, to a lesser degree, for the redemption of lost souls."

    He leaned back into his chair and smiled at me over the rim of his cup.  "And on that note, your lessons begin."

Chapter 4 

   "The irony of this situation overwhelms me."

    I watched her eyes cloud with confusion.  

    "What do you mean, Heero?"    

    I shook my head.  "Nevermind, little one."  I smiled at her becomingly and opened my arms for a hug.  She threw herself into my arms.

    "I can hardly believe you are here," she mumbled into my shirt.  I did not bother replying.  I was too busy feeling.  For nine long years, I had watched her grow from afar, envious of all those who were able to interact with her on a regular basis.  For nine long years, I had dreamt of her and fantasized about how soft her skin felt and how light her voice was.  To be this close now, after such a long time, gave me a heady rush.  I weaved my fingers into her hair and breathed in her scent.  It was so easy to forget about the purity I was trying to protect when she was standing here in her flimsy night gown.  And in the back of my head, I could hear her blood pound...

    In an effort to regain my composure, I abruptly dropped my arms and turned away.  Desperately searching for anything to look at but her, my eyes fell on the crucifix on her far wall.  I smiled faintly.  

    "So tell me, dear.  What has occupied your time these past nine years?"  I asked casually as I strolled toward the wooden cross.  I reached out and gently touched it with one finger.  I winced at the burning pain and the small sizzling sound.  Unsurprisingly, crosses still burned me.

    "Well, Heero, after you saved me, I was taken in by my neighbors and was raised as one of their own."

    I curled my lips, carefully keeping my expression hidden.  I had watched with great disgust as that boy Duo had developed feelings for my angel.  It was to his benefit that he had never tried anything.

    "Then, two years ago, I came to this nunnery."

    "And you take your vows Sunday," I finished for her as I turned around.    

    "Yes!" she exclaimed.  Becoming acutely self-conscious,  she cast her eyes down to the floor.  "It...it gives me great pleasure to know that someone as important as you has paid attention to me," she murmured.  

    I looked at her sharply.  "What do you mean by that?"

    "Why, an angel, of course," she replied, an enraptured expression on her face.

    I threw back my head and laughed.  "Come, come, Relena darling.  Did I not tell you long ago that I was evil?"

    "It's not the words that matter, Heero.  What truly counts are the actions."

    Her quiet words stilled my laughter.  Disconcerted, I could only watch as she walked over and picked up my hand.  A small tingling sensation ran up my arm.

    "I do not know what to say," I replied.  I could not meet her gaze.  Instead, I stared at our intertwined hands.

    "Just say you are proud of me," she whispered.

    I met her eyes and flinched slightly under their radiance.  I could not bring myself to rob her of that light with the harsh truth.  Who wants to be told their savior is actually the devil?  As it was, my presence alone dimmed her pure flame.  So, instead of robbing her of her illusions, I simply raised a hand and caressed her cheek gently. 

    "I am, Relena.  More than you'll ever know."  It was the truth from the bottom of my heart.  

    She wrapped her arms around me in a hug, slightly startling me once more.  I soon relaxed, however, and began rubbing soothing circles on her back.  As chaotic as being in her presence was, she also instilled a sense of peace in my soul, something I so desperately needed.  As selfish as I was, however, I knew I could not stay with her any longer.  I felt too dirty, too tainted for her.  My course of action was painfully obvious.

    "Relena."  I grasped her chin in my hand and looked into her eyes.  I saw her expression change as she noticed the look in my eyes.  Slowly, in order to give her time to pull away, I leaned my face towards hers.  Her eyes widened and her mouth formed a perfect 'O', but she did not pull away.  Instead, she leaned  forward slightly and moved her arms up to my neck as I settled my lips onto hers.  The kiss was soft and gentle.  It contained a degree of gentleness I thought I had lost over the years.  It contained passion, devotion, and the love I had harbored for nine long years.  

    I pulled away and inwardly rejoiced at the spellbound expression on her face.  

    "I lo-"

    "Shh."  I silenced her with a finger to her lips.  Her eyes shimmered with wonder, but I ruthlessly ignored the hesitant invitation in them.  Instead, I leaned close to her ear.

    "Sleep," I murmured before delicately nipping at her ear lobe.  "Forget."

    Her body was boneless in seconds.  Holding her to my chest for a few moments, I closed my eyes and pretended that I was not about to leave her.  The illusion would not blossom, though, so I picked her up and carried her to the bed.  Upon straightening up, I stared one last time at her serene face.  She would not remember this night, but I would.  The memory would sustain me for the rest of my existence.  

    Pivoting on one heel, I strode over to the window and flung myself into the chilly night.  Feeling something slide down my cheek, I reached up and gently brushed a droplet of water off my cheek.  I stared at my damp fingertip for a few seconds in something akin to shock.  I could not bring myself to believe that it was a tear.  My soul had been lost hundreds of years ago.  Soulless ghosts do not cry.  

Chapter 5

    "Damn that bastard!"

    Baron Chaikov threw his glass across the room and watched in pleasure as it broke against the wall.  Something needed to be broken tonight, whether it be a neck or a piece of glassware.

    "How dare he treat us with such disrespect?! Like we were simple fledglings with our fangs in a twitter about some asinine triviality or some such nonsense."  Scowling, he flicked his hand in the direction of a wine bottle.  The bottle shattered and wine showered down onto the floor.

    "Come come, Boris.  No need to be childish," admonished a calm voice from the couch.  Vladimir Molokov gently closed the book in his hands and laid it on the table.  "Do you honestly think such childlish rants will accomplish anything? Such is the behavior OF little fledglings.  Anything unbecoming would be greatly detrimental at this point."  

    "So what do you propose we do, Vladimir?" he replied irately.  "Sit here and wait like good little lambs?"  

    "Patience is a virtue, Chaikov."

    Chaikov whirled and gaped at the shadowy figure in the corner.  "Misstress!" he cried as he threw himself down on his knees.  "Forgive me for not acknowledging you earlier.  I...I..."

    "Refrain from groveling any further.  It wears on my nerves."

    "Of course, Mistress," he stuttered back.  He shot a dark look towards the couch.  How dare he not mention her presence! Ambitious, ingratiating fool.

    "At any rate, the situation with Yuy is far from hopeless, gentlemen.  All that is needed is a bit of careful planning and some patience.  Given these elements, success is sure to follow."

    "Do you have a plan in mind, Mistress?"  Vladimir inquired politely from his perch on the couch.  There was a moment of silence before a low chuckle could be heard from the chair in the corner.

    "Why of course, Vladimir." 

    Molokov was suddenly thrown off the couch and slammed into the wall next to the fireplace.  Both men watched in horror as Vladimir's unwilling hand slowly drifted towards the fireplace.  A scream echoed across the room as the hand was thrust into the blazing fire.  The smell of charred flesh began to waft through the room. 

    "Do you doubt me?" asked the female voice sharply. 

    "No!" Molokov yelled, his face contorted into an expression of deep pain.  Whatever had him in thrall suddenly relented, allowing Molokov to yank his scorched hand out of the fire.  Nursing his charred hand, he whimpered softly as he fell to his knees and bowed in her direction.  The dark figure in the corner leaned forward into the pale candlelight.  Dark hair hung in front of a pale face accentuated only by a pair of dark red lips.  The lips adjusted themselves into a  cruel smile.

    "There was a reason for my instructions behind your presentation to Yuy this evening.  The fastest way to topple a king is to incite a revolution, gentlemen.  And what stirs the people more than their worst fears?"

    "And what would that be?"  Chaikov asked hesitantly. 

    "Humans.  Death at the hands of our greatest adversaries."  The figure stood and strode to the middle of the room. "Soon the Vampyre world will find itself shaken to the core!  And from its ashes will rise a new hierarchy, a new power.  And Heero Yuy will be -" She paused to smile maliciously.  "Inconsequential. "

    Both men deepened their bows till their foreheads touched the ground.

    "Our trust lies with you, Mistress Noin," Molokov intoned respectively.

    "As it should, gentlemen, as it should."

***

     Nataku clan leader Chang Wufei closed his left hand and crumpled the disturbing missive into a tight ball.

    "Those fools."  Suddenly sensing a presence behind him, he stilled and placed one hand on the hilt of his sword.

    "Bad news?" 

    The feminine voice brought a scowl to his face, but he took his hand off his sword anyway.  Striking the High Priestess would bring the worst dishonor one could imagine.  He turned and sneered at her instead.  "None of your concern, Po."

    "That's High Priestess Po," she replied sharply.  "There's no need to be disrespectful, Chang, especially given my authority over you.  Now hand me that letter."

    Wufei reluctantly placed the crumpled ball into her outstretched hand before crossing his arms defensively in front of him.  He watched in silence as the grim expression on the High Priestess's face turned grimmer.

    "Those treacherous imbeciles.  How dare they!" she exclaimed.

    "My thoughts exactly."

    Their eyes clashed and held for several moments, a discernible stream of tension humming between the two.  Wufei was the first to break eye contact.

    "I will leave for the royal palace tomorrow evening to confer with the High Lord, Po."  The High Priestess let the infraction slide without rebuke this time.  "Hopefully I will be able to reason with him.  If not, other preventive measures will have to be taken regardless of the High Lord's wishes."

    "High Lord Yuy is a reasonable man.  I  am sure he sees the flaws in the Russians' logic."

    "Yes, but his position at court is not as unassailable as it once was.  People are becoming more ambitious these days, more willing to straddle the lines between loyalty and deceit."  Wufei narrowed his eyes.  "Especially those Russians," he spat.  "I will never allow them to control Egret Valley.  It has been the duty of this clan to protect this holy place and its temple for generations, and I will not let the dishonor of failure fall upon us."

    "Especially given the consequences."

    Wufei returned his gaze to hers once more, a mutual understanding passing between the two of them.  "Yes.  The consequences."

    High Priestess Po placed one hand on the large amulet around her throat.  Recognizing the motion, Wufei quickly knelt down before her and bowed his head.  He felt her hand fall softly onto his forehead.

    "Go with the blessing of the holy Egret Goddess, Chang Wufei.  May her benevolent light shine upon your quest."  She let her hand fall to her side.  Wufei stood, nodded curtly, and turned to leave.  "Wufei."

    He turned and gave her a cross look.

    "Stay safe," she whispered, a caress in her voice.

    He stared at her for a few moments before inclining his head in acknowledgement and smiling softly.  "I will.  And you as well, Sally."

    Without another word, Wufei exited the room and went to prepare for the journey ahead.