The standard disclaimer applies, I only own the plot. '~' means in-character first person

 

 

The Secret Evolves
Written by: Lady Eclipse

 

~I can remember clearly all that happened as it moved in a sickeningly slow motion. Every detail stands out with a frightening clarity within my screaming mind. The texture of her skin as I grabbed her arm to pull her out of harm's way, the piercing shout of the gun as it released its burden, the dull thud of metal embedding itself into flesh. All of this I can recall as though it were still happening but the part that makes my very soul recoil with unbearable pain was the soft gasp that escaped her lips. It happened far too fast for a scream, she was always too dignified for such a thing anyways, all she did was gasp in surprise and fall into my arms. Past that horrible moment I remember little. I can vaguely remember aiming my ever present gun and firing, holding her tenderly feeling the warm ooze of her blood spilling underneath the hand that tightly clamped upon the wound, the desperate cry of the ambulance still rings in my ears, and the worst of my memories is seeing them bundle her up to a stretcher attaching IVs to her arms and an oxygen mask to her face stealing her away from me. And now here I am alone in a sterile, cold room filled only with the mechanical beeping of a heart monitor. Her hand is cold in mine and her face is as white as a porcelain doll's.....you promised you wouldn't die....~

* * *

Noin handed Zechs a styraphoam cup filled with coffee placing a hand gently on his shoulder to arouse his attention. He looked up at her with mournful eyes.

"How is she doing?" She asked softly.

"She's stable for now. The doctor said that the bullet thankfully missed her heart but it grazed an artery. She lost a great deal of blood so it will take a while for her to fully recover."

"That's a relief to hear."

"The bad news is that since Heero killed the assassin we have no way of knowing his motives or if he worked alone or not. The word is that he was an agent from the L4 group.

"We can use this as a reason to investigate them. If we find the appropriate evidence then we can disband them."

"There's not much of a chance of that. The attack is being widely broadcast on the news. They most likely are already covering their tracks."

"Then have I got some good news for you." Noin and Zechs spun around at the familiar voice. Quatre was standing behind them looking terribly weary but smugly satisfied.

"Quatre! What are you doing here?" Noin asked, happiness edging her tone.

"I hopped the first shuttle I could find after hearing about what happened. How is she?"

"She'll be fine, she's just very weak right now." Quatre's features relaxed noticeably. "That's great to hear. Now all you have to do is move her to a secure location."

"Why?" Zechs' voice rose with concern.

"I brought a present from Trowa. It should answer all of your questions." He replied holding up a vid disc.

 

The trip to the Preventer's headquarters was a relatively short one but it seemed like an eternity for Zechs and Noin who were burning with worry and curiosity. Upon reaching the first available vid unit Quatre popped in the disc and sat back to watch with Zechs and Noin looking on over his shoulder. The screen came to life with an image of Trowa staring somberly forward:

"Two weeks ago Heero contacted me asking for me to infiltrate the L4 group and see what I could find out. I regret to say that I became aware of the assassination plans too late to stop them but I have managed to secure solid documentation and recordings of their plans. Those plans and proofs are included along with my message. I will bring the hard evidence in person once this problem is dealt with.

"After the failed assassination attempt there has been suggestions of a second attempt while things are still chaotic. Even worse they are considering some form of a coup d' etat. I recommend that you use this information to your advantage to bring in Preventer enforcement before any of their plans become solidified." With that Trowa's image disappeared to be replaced with several recordings of meetings, schematics of their base of operations, and other materials that would be useful in a take over.

"What do you think?" Noin asked looking toward Zechs expectantly.

"I think that we should gather up an envoy and go show them what it means to mess with the peace." Zechs replied with a smug smirk that mirrored Quatre's earlier one.

"Excellent idea. I know a couple of guys who would love to join you," Quatre said standing up enthusiastically. "In the meantime, I suggest that you move Relena until we have the matter well under control."

"Right, I'll contact the hospital and see what we can do." Noin offered moving over to the phone. "That might be too dangerous, they may have an insider working on the hospital staff."

"She's too weak to just be picked up and moved. We need the help of a medical team. I want her to be safe, but not at the risk of her life. The doctors have just got her stable, but things could still go either way." Zechs countered not bothering to cover the worry in his eyes.

"I know...." Quatre lapsed into a reflective silence. "What if we publicly announce that we are going to move Relena to the Preventer's hospital which will be more secure? We will set up a dummy unit and while that one is on the move we will secretly have a private medical team move Relena somewhere else."

"That's brilliant, Quatre!" Noin beamed.

"Always said he was the brain of the group..." Zechs murmured.

"Now the question is what medical group can we trust that won't be missed in the big charade?" Noin asked tapping her finger thoughtfully.

"The Maganacs have very good medical facilities in my old military base in the desert." Quatre replied after a moment of thought.

"That's a little far. We'll need something closer in case of an emergency."

"Let's talk to Heero and see what he thinks. He is her official bodyguard after all." Quatre offered.

"Sounds good. I'll also have a word with Lady Une to get her opinion. We will need the Preventers's help to stage this." Zechs replied.

 

* * *

 

~Pain....that is the one thing that dominates my thoughts. There is a strange numb quality to it as though I am not a part of my own body. I am surrounded by a hazy darkness in which no coherent thought exists. I drift in and out of consciousness vaguely aware of that which occurs around me and am lost to time lapses whenever I am able to find my way back to realm of the living. My arm is cold from where I feel the life giving fluids flow into my veins. Yet, there is a gentle warmth that slips through the chill of my hand. Now, more awake and able to open my eyes fully, I note that there is a hand curled firmly over mine offering it not only unspoken support but acting as my tether to life. It's grasp is firm yet has the gentle quality that I have come to expect from the hand's owner. My heart melts (if I could feel it over all of the pain killing narcotics that are coursing through my blood) as I see him slumped over in a chair that had been dragged over to my bedside. Deep circles ring his eyes and his complexion has paled with fatigue. I open my mouth to speak, wishing desperately to erase the pain I see keened into his features. However, my mouth and throat betray me unable to produce a single sound. I swallow painfully and try again managing a soft croak that vaguely resembled his name while trying to wrap my numb fingers around his. He opens his eyes revealing intense blues undiluted in their intensity. I can see the relief washing through them like the soft lapping tides of a mellow sea. Oh, my Heero... ~

 

Heero gripped her hand even more firmly as her feeble movements drew him from his light slumber. He leaned over slightly to enhance his long awaited view of her pale, sapphire depths; his affirmation of her life.

"...Relena..."

"...Heero..."

No other words were needed.

 

That was how Noin, Zechs, and Quatre found them when they returned to the hospital room.

"Heero, I just received Trowa's report and Relena may still be in danger. We are considering the possibility of secretly relocating her while a look-a-like is publicly moved to the Preventer medical unit." Quatre softly said. Heero looked over toward them sharply, calculation flickering in his eyes. "Where are you moving her?"

"We're not sure yet, we can't think of a good enough location that would be secure and unknown as well as medically proficient."

"How about the Newport City ruins?" Relena said in a voice course with disuse.

"You're awake!" Zechs instantly rushed over to her other side and cupped a gentle hand to her cheek.

"I'm fine." She reassured him.

"Of course you are, you're a Peacecraft." He replied with an affectionate smile.

"Longevity runs in the family." Noin added with a grin of her own.

"Are you sure Newport City is a good idea? It's in ruins, no sufficient medical facility could still be intact after that." Quatre pointed out.

"The underground unit that Noin used for the imperial guard that were wounded in battle should still be okay."

"You knew about that?"

"Of course, I just didn't want you to feel even more guilty than you already were about storing weapons down there as well." Noin and Relena shared a comradely smile.

"That doesn't sound like a bad idea. One of us should check the area out and see about hiring a private medical team to run the secret facilities." Heero somberly intoned.

"Right, I'll go check it out and find the appropriate doctors to help us out." Quatre chimed. "I'm going to talk to Lady Une about setting up the look-a-like and the other details that go along with the dummy unit." Zechs said, "Noin, stay here and watch over Relena with Heero until everything is ready."

"No problem, Zechs." With their own private missions in mind everyone went their separate ways in hopes to preserve their friend.

*

The arrangements were made easily enough and the press were even more easily duped into believing that the wounded vice foreign minister had been moved to the Preventer medical facilities. Only a handful of people knew the actual location of her hiding in the midst of a ruined city residing deep within the earth under the rubble of fallen stone. Relena lay upon a large, white bed; her eyes closed serenely in sleep. As always Heero stood next to the bed staring down upon her delicate form. Dressed in a space suit and with a gun carefully tucked away within the fabric he reached down to lovingly caress the silken strands of her hair splayed out on the pillow like liquid gold. He dared not touch the soft warmth of her face in fear of waking her. He hated saying goodbye.

"Heero, the unit is ready." Quatre said softly from the doorway. Heero nodded gravely stealing one last glance at her before regretfully turning away.

"Heero...?" At the breathy sigh he half turned. Her sleep filled eyes were fixed on him as she feebly tried to pull herself into a sitting position. Heero sat down on the edge of her bed and gently pushed her back down.

"Stay still, your wound won't be able to heal with you moving so much."

"You're leaving to go fight, aren't you?" She replied sadly fingering the fabric of his suit, her eyes not quite meeting his.

"Yes."

"I guess there's no point in asking you not to go. It never worked before, you've always been too dedicated for that sort of thing." Heero gave in to the urge to brush his fingers against the rose bud softness of her lips.

"I will come back."

"Do you promise?"

"Yes."

"But you never keep your promises. I once asked you to promise not to leave without saying goodbye. You left before without doing it and you would have again if I hadn't woken up." "Relena, you have to have faith in me. Besides," he added with a weary smile, "I have kept one..."

"I do have faith in you, just allow me the luxury of worrying about you, it's something that I can't help. There are some things that even the great Heero Yuy cannot control." Heero leaned down and kissed her tenderly,

"I will never say goodbye to you." His eyes held the unspoken depth of his words as well as the ever present affection that only shone for her. She managed a weak smile and a nod, "Then I'll just say take care and," She weakly wrapped her good arm around his neck and rose up just enough so that her lips brushed his ear, "know that I love you." She held him for a moment more before allowing him to ease her back down. Heero cupped her cheek and nodded not trusting his emotion choked voice. Even that brief effort left Relena incredibly drained with sleep weighing her struggling lids. She soon lost her fight with exaughstion and allowed her eyes to shut. Heero placed a final chaste kiss to her forehead before he stood up and followed Quatre out the door.

 

* * *

 

The L4 sector raid was swift and intense. The group was easily defeated due to a complete lack of preparation. It turned out that their communications systems as well as their main power generator had suffered severe malfunctions due to interference from a traitor within their ranks. The take over, unfortunately, let to much bloodshed although it was in little fault of the Preventers. Upon later discovery it was learned that the group more resembled religious fanatics than rebel terrorists believing the young vice foreign minister to be some form of false idol. Many of the followers committed suicide to avoid capture. Those who had not, or had been prevented from doing so by the Preventers, were secured and sent away to the nearest colony to be tried. As it turned out the leader had been an escaped patient from an L1 psych. ward serving time for the murder of three people with a long history of schizophrenia with radically violent behavior. He was sent back to the mental institution and was expected to be tried within the next three months.

Heero and Trowa stood silently watching the final take down of the base and collection of evidence. "We overestimated their strength. Sorry for unnecessarily involving you."

"That's fine. I understand your reasons." Trowa replied in his usual melancholy tone.

"What do you mean?" The corner's of Trowa's mouth ticked up ever so slightly,

"I too would do whatever I could for the ones that I love." Before Heero could reply Trowa swiftly departed.

"Hn." Heero growled, his brows furrowing in thought.

 

*

 

She stood amongst the wreckage and dust starring out upon her shattered kingdom like a fallen angel weeping for those she could not save. Her arm was securely tucked away in a sling to further protect her firmly bound shoulder. Golden blonde hair whipped about her face in a mad dance as numerous emotions chased across her pale features. The landscape, although scorched in a random array like a cancer upon the soft green, stood rolling and calm despite the fury the wind expelled. The tall grass shivered and swayed mimicking the thrashing, blue ocean not far away. The glistening sun shone down brightly as though it's piercing rays might erase the damage man had wrought upon the quiet earth. Yet, despite the cruel evidence of battle scarred upon the land, the area still retained a gentle calmness and acceptance. Even war and hatred itself could not destroy the atmosphere that place held. The buildings had been thrown to the ground crumbled to dust, but the earth would never forget what they had stood for. Relena closed her eyes allowing herself a brief moment of release to absorb the strength and the trying endurance that the land alone knew. Strong arms smoothly encircled themselves about her waist and chest mindful of the wounded area. Had she the energy, Relena might of jumped in surprise but all she had left was to turn her head to meet his turbulent eyes.

"Do they know you're out here?" Relena half smiled and shook her head,

"No, I needed a moment alone. They are all so determined to see that the opposite of that happens." "That's dangerous. Why must you give those of us who care about you such a hard time?" His tone, although serious, held an amused lilt to it.

"I guess I'm attracted to danger, that's what got me here in the first place. Besides, if I weren't so reckless you wouldn't have a job." A soft chuckle escaped Heero's throat, his breath trickling upon the exposed skin on her shoulder,

"And you like to keep your suitors on their toes, right?" There was no denying the humor in his tone quoting back to her her earlier statement.

"Right." She affirmed with a small laugh of her own as she leaned back into his embrace.

"Relena, I have something to ask you." He murmured tightening his arms about her.

"Hm?" She said loosing herself to the comfort of his presence. Slowly he brought his lips to her ear and whispered in a smooth, uninflected tone. Relena's eyes widened and she squirmed in his hold trying to face him but his arms remained firm and unyielding. "Heero, are you sure?" He loosed his arms just enough to let her see his face. Relena looked up into his eyes in disbelief, a small tear sliding down her cheek. A long moment passed between them as she searched his eyes. Her emotions being beyond words she simply nodded.

 

* * *

 

"Vice Foreign Minister!" Was the resounding cry emitted from the mouths of the countless reporters gathered before her podium. A slight nod toward one of the nameless, eager callers brought him to a stand calling out for whose behalf he was there for before proceeding with his question,

"After the L4 sector incident and assassination attempt will you be dramatically increasing your security?"

"I will be increasing my security only so far as to lengthen my current bodyguard's hours. I will be moving shortly into a house on the outskirts of the city where I won't be risking as many lives of those around me with the negative aspects of my job."

"There are rumors that your bodyguard will be living with you, is that true?"

"Yes, he has been kind enough to agree to live in my house with me to further assure my safety." This brought a surge of excited comments from the crowd along with a cavalcade of blurted out innuendos and questions regarding her long questioned relationship with the ominous man. Relena held up a hand for silence noisily clearing her throat. Once they calmed down and held their recorders high for her next comment she continued: "The relationship between myself and Mr. Yuy is strictly friendship. A group of people died barely more than two weeks ago and we still have problems to fix on the L3 colony where there is a massive strike going on. I feel it is more important to focus on those issues." The room duly fell into a guilty hush, she may have looked terribly weak and pale still recovering from her serious wound but there was none there who would want to cross her. After a brief moment some of the more seasoned journalists piped up with more appropriate questions about the aforementioned problems.

As soon as the lengthy press conference had convened Relena retreated to her office and slumped down into her chair accompanied as always by her bodyguard.

"I can't believe that with all of the crisis in the world all those people can think about is whether or not I'm having an affair with my bodyguard." Relena said with an incredulous laugh.

"That's just the way people are. They only want to focus on the simple things." He replied. "That may be so, but it doesn't make me feel any better."

"It's four thirty." Heero remarked glancing down at his watch.

"So?" He moved over to behind her chair and placed his hands on her shoulders massaging lightly mindful of her still healing wound.

"I don't think anyone would mind you leaving early after such a long press conference." Relena smiled softly and began to finger a delicate, silver chain that hung around her neck.

"Oh? And what's the sudden hurry to get me home?"

"Sometimes I like to go home at a reasonable hour." Relena's shoulders shook slightly as she tried to suppress her laughter.

"Fair enough. After all," Her fingers traced their way down the chain to pull free its burden from underneath the layers of cloth, "it's nice to have a home to go to." She mused as she twisted the band of gold hanging from the chain between her fingers. Heero leaned forward to plant a kiss on her cheek, the shifting afternoon light setting the chain about his neck sparkling. "I agree."

 

________________________________________________________________________

What's this, I leave off with ambiguity?!!? How dare I?!?!

;p

Well, this may very well be the last installment of this series unless I hear some requests for more or I find a great song that just screams to be turned into a fanfic (I'm still undecided whether less is more regarding this series). There is still plenty of avenues in the complex relationship of Heero and Relena to explore should there be need. Suggestions are welcome as are comments and criticism. Thank you for reading!

 

Lady Eclipse
Above, the moon
Below, the sea
Upon the cliff,
I will be.