The Silver Falcon

Prologue

"Mr. Matthews, rumor has it you were in love with Martha Peacecraft. Is that true?"

He looked at her then in such a way that made him seem so much more older than he actually was. It appeared as if he was not only looking toward her soul but also straight through her at the same time. And then he smiled.

"Loved her? I worshiped her. She was an angel, a living angel. And you know there ainít many here in this world anymore."

Miss Rachael Smith messed with her glasses in a way that one would think that the subject of angels was uncomfortable for her. Being a homely woman had taught her that beauty was something that would kill you. After all, it killed Martha Peacecraft in a way that she did not even want to think about.

"Did you two have a lasting relationship?"

"We had no relationship. She knew I loved her but she was drawn to Jonathan Peacecraftís ways like that of a moth to a flame."

"How had you known each other?"

"We went to school together. As you already know, Ms. Smith, my father, being a politician, had close ties with Marthaís father, Marquis Weyridge. We attended the same school, had the same friends, even went to proms together."

He sighed as his eyes misted over. "She was my world."

"How did you become her guardian?"

"Well, as I told you before, she knew I loved her. Thatís why she hired me. She knew I wouldnít let anything happen to her children."

"Did Jonathon approve of you?"

"He hated me but Martha would always say he disliked me in a way of admiration. At one point he even wanted me to join his gang."

She looked up sharply in surprise. "He wanted you to join the Cinq kingdom?"

"Yea, but you got to know that was back when it was small and in need of members. He was desperate if he wanted me. At one time, he thought me aní Martha were having an affair."

"Were you?"

"NoÖ Never had the chance anyway. She was too in love with Jonathon and Iíd never do that to her."

"What happened on the day of Jonathon Peacecraftís murder?"

"Donít you already know?"

"Yes but I want to hear it in your words."

"It was storminí that day, had been for weeks. Martha was bathing Relena when the attack happened. They were so scaredÖ

"Jonathon ran out, trying to save all heíd worked for. The kingdom was near collapsing anyway. Not enough members to run it. But anyway he ran out in the middle of gunfire. He was shot six times until he fell. Millardo saw it happen.

"It was after that that everything went dead quiet. Nobody moved. We knew he was dead. The kid just stood there shakiní worse than a leaf. When he screamed, it was like a jolt to reality. After thatÖ was the worse massacre in the history of Sin CityÖ"

" Did Martha take his death fairly well at first?"

"No, she broke right from the start. She and the kids stayed with her father on his estate. I had to stay too. She was afraid I would leave her like Jonathon.

"We started sleeping in the same bed after that. She was still fully devoted to Jonathan. So, we never did anything. It was always the same. Iíd hold her while sheíd cry herself to sleep. She finally snapped soon after that.

"She stayed in the asylum ten years after a failed suicide attempt. She got out around the time of Relenaís thirteenth birthday. Even though she was living with her father, I still had custody of the kids. I always took ëem to visit her. She loved them so much."

"Do you regret anything in how you raised the children?"

"No, Relenaís an angel just like her mama. She was always the sweetest child. She was making it okay too, no matter what her past was. She calls me daddy, has ever since I took her in and raised her as my own. Since she was only two when Jonathon died, she considers me her daddy.

"Millardo never has liked that."

"Do you regret anything in how you raised him?"

"No, even though people might think I should. I had to understand that heís too much like his daddy to be held down for very long. I ainít seen him since he ran away five years ago. He ran a couple months after Martha came home."

"Have you heard from him?"

"Nah, but rumor is heís tryiní to take back his daddyís kingdom from the Gundam clan."

He turned toward her again with a cocky smile lighting his rusted face. "No more questions, Miss Smith. After all doesnít it seem only fair for me to ask you one in return?"

"Go ahead, Mr. Matthews."

"Have you ever heard the story of the Silver Falcon?"

* * * * *

Done. So how do yíall like it? Good? Bad? Let me know. Iím still working on Masterpiece Conspiracy but I needed a break while I have a slight case of writerís block.

Authorís Notes:

Review!

Disclaimer: Gundam Wing is not mine.