FORGOTTEN SOUL

Chapter Four

 

 

"Yo, Heero. Whacha thinking?"

Glancing over the seat at the still unresponsive Heero Yuy, Duo frowned and turned off the car stereo, still trying to figure out what was wrong with his friend. True, Heero had always been quiet and withdrawn--Duo considered himself lucky if he could get more than a "Hn" out of him--but he'd always felt close to Heero; like they shared some kind of special bond that came from being comrades on the battlefield. And even though Heero rarely said more than a few words, Duo knew he was listening, and that he valued their friendship, even if he never said anything about it.

But, the cold, distant person sitting beside him in the passenger seat was not the Heero Yuy he knew. Duo couldn't pinpoint what it was, but talking to this Heero was like talking to a complete stanger.

Duo turned off the main highway and scowled at his passenger. Heero was still staring blankly out the window; he hadn't moved or made a sound since he'd gotten into the car.

Fleetingly, Duo thought about giving him a good poke in the arm to get his attention, or at least a reaction, but then decided he needed all his fingers intact to drive home.

He sighed heavilly, and returned his attention to the road. Heero's present apartment was on the side of town that was "questionable" at best, nestled away on the corner of some forgotten, one lane road. The streetlamps lining the sidewalks here were either dim, flickering, or completely out, adding an air of menace to the already creepy atmosphere.

"Geez, Heero. Ya could've picked a spot that's a little more cheerful. Didn't they use this place for "Night of the Undead Killer Zombies?"

"...."

"And it's not the most romantic of places, either," Duo rattled on, trying to get SOME sort of reaction from his friend. Past experience had taught him that the easiest way to do this was to keep yapping at Heero until he growled at him to shut up. "I don't suppose Releenas' seen where you live yet, huh?"

Though he couldn't be positive, Duo thought he caught a tiny, tiny frown flicker across the immoblile face, and grinned triumphantly to himself. 'Ha. Some things never change at least.' Teasing the emotionless pilot about his girlfriend had always been the quickest way to a reaction, although it could also be a rather dangerous hobby, if Heero wasn't in the mood, or if Duo said something that insulted Releena. At first, Duo didn't know why Heero was so touchy. Everyone knew he and Releena were destined to be together. It had been an ongoing bet between the other four pilots to see how long Heero could resist the determined, blond haired girl who had captured his heart. Quatre the idealist had won that bet: his length of time had been the shortest, under a year after the Marymei incident, while Duo and Trowa figured it would be closer to two. And Wufei was positive Heero would let Releena dangle for at least four years.

But Heero had surprised all of them. No one thought he had it in him to be so caring, or sweet, as he had been with Releena. Duo grinned as he remembered how the news had gotten out. He had walked into Releena's office one day to find her in a full lip lock with Mr. Perfect Soldier himself. He then winced as he thought of what had happened AFTER he had walked in on them. He couldn't seem to remember that little scene without his ribs starting to ache again.

After word had spread that Heero and Releena were finally together ( And Duo had taken great pleasure in telling everyone he knew. ), Heero became very touchy whenever someone mentioned the two of them. The other pilots, curious as they were, tried to be discreet about it, but Duo had teased Heero whenever an opportunity presented itself. At first, he couldn't understand why Heero was so sensitive, to the point of punching him or stalking away in a huff, but gradually, he figured it out. Heero was actually FEELING something for the first time, and he didn't know what to do about it. He was exposed, vunerable; and while he refused to let go of the feeling, he felt uncomfortable around the others because he was supposed to be the Perfect Soldier.

This realization led to a better understanding between the two. One night, when he and Heero were alone, working on repairs for the gundams, he managed to get Heero to talk to him about what he felt for Releena. Granted, Heero didn't say much, but Duo was able to help him come to terms with his warring emotions. Love, he explained, wasn't a weakness. It was probably the strongest force on earth, and there was nothing weak or shameful about it. In the end, it would either break you or make you stronger, but it was always worth holding onto.

Duo couldn't remember the last time he got philosophical like that, but something definately happened that night. Heero wasn't as sensitive, and he became a little more open, not only with Releena, but with everyone. To someone who didn't know him well, he might've seemed unchanged, but to his closest friends, it was much more obvious.

But that little scene in the hallway last week, between Releena and her Perfect Soldier, had been the biggest step Heero had taken by far.

Duo smiled wistfully as he remembered, then realized he had let his attention wander, and was now driving down a dark, narrow street he had never seen before.

"Oi! Heero!" he yelped, startled out of his memories. "Why didn't you tell me we passed your street, you baka?"

Heero finally turned his head and stared at him, and the glassy look in his eyes chilled the braided pilot inside and out.

"H-Heero...?"

Without comment, Heero brought a fully loaded gun level with Duo's head.

"Pull over."

 

********************

Authors Note* Woooooo, whacha think so far? Sorry, this chapter was kinda short, but I'll make up for it in the next one. I'd appreciate any comments you'd care to give. I love getting mail. Mail is our friend, right, right? I thought so. =)