Warnings:Blood, death, mature issues.Read at your own discretion.

 

 

This one takes place on October 14th (chapter 10 ended on the 12th).One of these days I will type up my estimated calendar and send it out.

As always, thank you everyone whose written me and reviewed andeven those of you who haven't!!!!You're all so great!I never expected anyone to actually like this story -_-;

Disclaimer:As I said before, Santa didn't deliver.Do you have to rub it in *sniffs*?

 

 

Made of You:Chapter 11

by Kysra

 

 

~ "Hold onto me Rele."The pale haired little boy tugged once more on the stifling collar his mother had buttoned snugly around his neck, his miniature dinner jacket stained white in some places with vanilla flavored frosting, the sugary substance marring his younger companion's chubby little cheeks.

"Milli, who these people?They all so pwetty!"The little girl squealed in delight at the brightly lit ballroom which seemed to her like a whole new world of glitz and glitter, beautiful ladies in sequined gowns and white lace lifting elegant gloved hands to their dark princes who bowed deeply before swinging their colorful princesses into the dance.The music was a little too boring for the child's taste but the atmosphere, the light, the gaiety were enough to keep the girl suitably awed at the adult paradise she had just uncovered.

Her brother jerked on her hand slightly, his slightly taller frame easily maneuvering through the giants swaying above them, fighting his way to their parents with purposeful speed.She noticed absently that something wasn't quite right, her young mind noting Milli's sweaty palm, the way his shoulder's were tensed . . . just like when he was practicing with his sword, and the slight look of concern in his icy blue eyes.

She allowed him to pull her along into the fray, her little face staring up into the ceiling, admiring the chandeliers, enjoying the way the fluorescent light bulbs seemed like flames dancing and jumping in the midst of shimmering crystal when a shadow moved into her field of vision.

Then she was outside herself.

*"Is . . . is this a dream?"*Her voice seemed far away, deeper, older.

Relena watched as her child-self dumbly walked away, bright blue eyes never leaving the spot where the shadow had once resided.

"Rele!Milli!What are you two munchkins doing here?Aren't you supposed to be in bed?"A voice spoke nearby, the sound ringing like bells in her head as she watched a woman with golden hair and pale skin approach the children who had been so adamant in reaching their destination just moments before.The tiny faces looked up in confusion before recognition allowed their eyes to light up with something akin to rapture, happy expressions etched upon their countenances.Their high pitched voices yelled joyfully as they ran, the boy on sturdy legs while the girl teetered excitedly on uncertain feet, towards this veritable angel.

And an angel she was.

The woman was easily in her mid-twenties possessing a fair complexion, her skin flawlessly luminous.Her blue eyes were the exact shade of the ocean at noon, glowing with pride and love as she looked down upon the two children nearly tripping over their own feet to get to her.She was tall but not overly so, her stature adding to the natural regal bearing which lined her shoulders and dictated her posture.Pale arms, like graceful dove wings, reached for little Milli as he barreled into her just as she lowered herself daintily to her knees, the silken folds of her gown smoothing over her legs like water over stone with an artful motion produced of practice and patient training in the proper ways of royalty.The woman's neatly coifed hair fell about her face in coiling tendrils, meticulously brushed strands holding a luster that reflected life and vitality, glowing against her milky skin as gilded gold.

There was no feigned adoration as she caught the children up into an affectionate and motherly embrace, her features boasting an even deeper radiance as her aqua gaze slipped from one pudgy face to the other, her rosebud lips forming their names as they held onto her arms and ran about her skirts merrily.

*Is this my mother?Was this . . . *

Her laughter was as the sweetest music, rich, melodious, haunting, the sound reverberating through Relena's dream-trapped mind as it passed memory after memory, unlocking doors previously blocked by walls formed of the staunch desire to never remember again.

Large, strong hands touched bare shoulders, a new voice joining the little family.

*Fa . . . Father?*

He was beautiful, and Relena suddenly knew where Milliardo had inherited his pretty boy looks.

The man was sufficiently taller than his wife, towering above his two small children as the giant oak behind the Peacecraft mansion, hovering protectively over his family, ever watchful and attentive to their every whim.His pale, sapphire eyes were wise beyond his years, face aged beyond what it should be.It was obvious his job and position in country and in politics were beginning to wear upon his large frame.Despite this, his nearly silver hair was well kept, a groomed beard adding a sort of distinguished look to an otherwise roguish face.His skin sported a light tan, the flesh of the hands upon his wife's shoulders coarse, callused, and scarred.He had seen his share of battles, probably took part in them, but his manner was gentle, calming, careful, as if he were afraid this little woman would break under the slight pressure of his hard fingertips.

The little girl, pranced around her parents singing "Ring Around the Rosie", little hands holding out the white dress she wore proudly for her father to see and admire.His laughter was just as melodic as her mother's, a rich baritone that rumbled in his chest pleasantly before issuing from thin lips, a perfect accompaniment to the children's almost rhythmic chatter.

She very suddenly wanted to cry, but one couldn't cry in dreams, could she?

The chime of a nearby grandfather clock echoed in her ears as her child-self screamed and her mother collapsed, clutching at one shoulder.

*A gunshot?Oh God, this is . . . I'm seeing . . NO!!!MOMMA!!! NOT AGAIN!*

"Momma?Momma ok?"Little Rele asked her mother, her squeaky little voice uncertain and worried, smooth brow knitted with confusion and alarm when she felt a sharp tug on her arm, the screaming and utter chaos erupting behind and around her forgotten as she lifted her face to meet her big brother's flat, nearly glacial stare.

"We have to go Rele!"He tugged again, but Rele refused to budge until she knew Momma was ok.

"Momma?Daddy?"Why didn't anyone want to answer her?Why did they look at her with such sadness?She didn't understand.

"Rele go with Milli.Momma and I will be right behind you."The big man, her father, spoke softly, bending to shield the cowering woman with his body as guests in gowns and tuxedoes raced for exits that no longer existed, darkness claiming their world as the chandeliers were destroyed by ricocheting bullets, fire supplying illumination as candles were knocked over and onto table clothes soaked through with champagne.

Rele shook her head, strands of gold plastered to her sugar coated face, "Momma hurt!Why they hurt Momma?"

The little boy once again tugged on Rele's small arm, and this time, her feet slipped forward.She leaned back, trying to add more weight to his load, stalling for more time.

Daddy's face became stern, "Young lady, go with your brother.Now."

Momma's eyes rose to meet hers, pain-filled sea blue smattering with her own confused sky blue, "Go sweety.Momma . . . will protect you.Be strong and run."

*YOU LIED!YOU LIED TO ME!!!!YOU ALL DID!!!!MOMMA!!!!I CAN'T . . . I can't . . . I can't live through this again!Oh God, please let me out of this nightmare!!!Please!!!!*

"Take care of her Milli.We love you both . . ."

An explosion rocked the ground beneath them as Milli gave one last hard tug, dragging his baby sister across the ballroom floor over broken glass, spilled alcohol, and obliterated crystal.Fires raged around them as he maneuvered through the wreckage and she stole glances over her shoulder, her little face still not comprehending these events, eyes shedding not a tear as they beheld her parents in the center of the noisy room.

They weren't following as Daddy had said.

"DADDY!MOMMA!! COME WITH US!!!"She struggled against her brother's grip, hysteria and something darker claiming her young heart as she realized her beloved parents weren't moving.

Milli hauled her roughly against him, hand clamping over her mouth as he reached the far wall, away from the huge oaken doors, the only exit/entrance into the rest of the palace, their only way out.

* Stop . . stop it please . . . *

 

 

"Be quiet Rele.Just be quiet and everything will be ok."He pushed her beneath one of the many tables lining the walls, the only one still intact, before joining her there, the excess white cloth dressing the flat wood surface shielding them from the gunmen's attention, allowing Milli time to do as his father had ordered him.

Rele watched as her brother's trembling fingers pushed aside some of the cloth to find the air vent both had used time and again as the ideal hiding place during their seeking games, his face dripping with sweat, eyes locked on his work.Overcome with curiosity, she watched the shadows, shifting and writhing with the flames crackling just outside of their little sanctuary, fighting the temptation to look out into the chaos once more.

Would Momma and Daddy meet them outside?Was this just another game?

* Stop it.WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME!!!!LET ME WAKE UP! *

Laughter.Maniacal laughter.The same kind of laughter that the witch in Snow White possessed.It was deep and long and frightening, the sound chilling her blood and paralyzing her small body into obedience.

And yet . . .

* Don't look Rele.Please don't look . . . *

Bending low to the clean marble floor, Rele raised the hem of the pristine white tablecloth just enough to view the rest of the floor only to see --

"Momma . ." she whispered as she took in her mother's bloodied dress, the once-baby blue material devoured by an ever-growing evil black stain.Daddy's large form lay in an awkward heap at booted feet as a uniformed woman stood over them, holding Momma's hair in a firm grip.   

The little girl listened.

The little girl watched.

Rele saw the knife slit Momma's throat before the mean lady left Momma and Daddy to die.

Something clicked in Relena's mind as the woman met little Rele's eyes. ~

 

 

***

 

 

~ Same time, with Heero ~

Heero's eyes shot open as he heard the screeching metal of the prison door opening, his head coming up to glare at whoever had disturbed his rest, hands still caught up in the blood-crusted manacles.

"Unca Hewo?" a small questioning voice echoed in the metal plated, sweat box of his cell, the new light streaming through the normal darkness, momentarily blinding his vision.He must be weaker than originally thought.If he didn't know better he would have identified the child-like voice to be that of Quatre Winner's son.Devon.

A sinister laugh followed, Prussian blue eyes focusing painfully on the dark outline framed by the doorway of the hellish place he had called home for close to a month.His lips thinned into a tight line of suppressed rage as the shadow drew close, allowing him to see his visitor clearly.

Long light brown hair tumbled about thin shoulders, the lithe frame and fluid curves clearly marking the figure as female.She wore a half-mask of gold, somewhat similar to the one Zechs had donned when he had buried Milliardo Peacecraft, her lips and chin visible as she stooped before him.Sea green eyes staring out at him from the perfectly shaped eye holes, a perverse grin twisting her mouth, "Well, well.How does it feel to be the victim for once Mr. Heero Yuy?"

There was no change in expression, no sign that he was surprised they had figured out who he was . . . who he had been.He had expected this.

"Nothing to say?Well, we can fix that now can't we?I've brought you some company."She gestured behind her, and another person, this one large and burly, stepped into the suffocating heat of the room, a golden bundle in his thick arms.

"Unca Hewo!!!"The bundle wriggled and kicked, little face scrunched up in fear and relief, tears pooling into gray eyes as the guard set him on the dirt laden ground to run and hug the man currently attached to the wall.

Still, Heero allowed nothing to show on his face, his training forbidding any indication of weakness even as he felt the blessedly cool dampness of Devon's tears against his chest.

The masked woman smirked lightly, "Hmph.You think you can hold out, do you?Then let me squash that little hope before it has time to grow.I already know where your friend Miss Peacecraft is hiding herself, but I have yet to discover who the father of her child is.I think you are the key to this mystery.So, you have a choice:Tell me and live, or keep your silence and die."

Heero glared at her, the silence broken only by Devon's high pitched whimpers.

Smiling, the woman patted his cheek, "Dear, dear Mr. Yuy.I don't think you understand.Let me explain.It isn't only your life on the line.If you die, so does this bastard child.Now, you wouldn't want the death of another innocent on your conscience would you?"

He kept his silence.

Eyes framed by plated gold narrowed and darkened with thinly veiled anger, "Have it your way Mr. Yuy."

Prussian blue eyes watched as the door closed behind her, once again leaving him in darkness, this time with only a child's muffled cries to keep him company.

 

 

***

 

 

~ Same time, Peacecraft Memorial Hospital (I know, how very unoriginal -_-;) ~

"How is she?"Catherine asked softly, setting down a steaming cup of coffee before the reclining Commander Une.They both needed an eye-opener after worrying throughout the night over their friend's health.

"I don't know.Zechs hasn't told us anything.How did you find out?"She carefully sipped the hot liquid, grimacing at the burning sensation coursing down her throat while appreciating the renewed wakefulness the unpleasant prickling created.

Cathy lay her head back against the cushions of the lobby couch, hands folded across her middle as she closed her eyes wearily, "Saw it on the news.It was like, one minute she was fine then the next . . ."

There was no need to finish the reply.Une knew the rest all too well, and while it was true nothing had seemed wrong before Lucrezia's untimely collapse, it wasn't exactly a surprise either . . . but that was a secret between Lucrezia, herself, and Sally.

Lucrezia had been feeling strangely for the past couple of months, but instead of consulting someone on the matter, she had first chalked it up to stress and later to a possible pregnancy.As time wore on, she was more and more certain she was carrying Zechs' child.In fact, she had confided in Une her excitement in having it confirmed once Sally returned from her trip to examine Relena.

Now that would never happen.

Late last night, Lucrezia Noin Peacecraft was exiting the mansion of her residence, pale and wan from stress and fatigue when she very suddenly fell to her knees, clutching her abdomen in extreme pain, blood soaking through the white pants of her uniform as her husband hoisted her into his arms, yelling for a doctor and assistance.

The diagnosis was grim and totally unexpected, shattering the dreams of a young couple who had just begun to live for themselves after sacrificing their childhoods to the cause of war.

She would never be able to have children.

Une had been present when Zechs received the news from the doctor in charge of his wife's care.She had seen the barely visible change in his countenance, the tightening about the eyes, the walls falling back into place, allowing the soldier to take control while locking the man within a protective shell when told Lucrezia would have to undergo emergency surgery.

More specifically, a total hysterectomy was performed in addition to some reconstructive surgery to fix lesser damage done to non-reproductive organs, from which the raven haired woman was recovering right now while everyone awaited news on her condition.

"Why did this happen?"Cathy murmured sleepily, never moving from her position on the couch while Une stared unblinkingly into space.

"Heirs.No baby means no more heirs to the Peacecraft throne," Une answered absently, resting her chin in one palm as her eyes focused on some point just beyond the nurse's desk.

Cathy snorted before raising her head up with effort, eyes opening only slightly, glassy silver eyes taking in the absent look on the Commander's face, "This can't only be about heirs.If it was, they would have targeted Mr. Milliardo first instead of going straight for Relena.He is, afterall, the true heir, no matter if he willingly stepped aside."

"Mmmm . . . yes, but that's exactly why they didn't target him first.It would have been foolish since he was a soldier and was better suited to defending himself.Whoever is behind this probably knew Zechs was the more aggressive of the two, and counted on him retaliating when his sister's life was jeopardized.They didn't NEED to take direct action against him since killing Relena first would have crippled him enough with emotional distress to make him an easy target.I'm taking this move against Zechs and Noin as a sign that the leader is getting desperate."

Stretching, the red-haired circus performer stood, testing out her legs as she began to pace before the coffee table, "How do you know they're responsible for this?I mean, what could have caused such massive internal damage?"

Chocolate brown eyes swiveled to study the younger woman, "ERIS followers had infiltrated the Peacecraft mansion staff, and we found a surprising concentration of them assigned to kitchen duty."

"You don't mean . . . They poisoned her?"Cathy looked shocked, her feet halting in their nervous shuffling.

Une nodded slowly, a sigh on her lips, "Tests reveal heavy doses of a substance that simulates a kind of . . . break down of soft tissues, specifically the lining of the stomach, uterus, fallopian tubes, and bladder.The doctor said Lucrezia's uterine walls resembled something that had been through a cheese grater.His words not mine."

Silence filled the lobby as Catherine looked away, eyes filling with tears as her view of the elevators blurred into darkness.She bit her lip, stubbornly holding the tears back.Miss Lucrezia would need them to be strong and supportive not weepy and pitying, but . . . it wasn't fair.How could fate do this to such a sweet woman?How could destiny pile all of these woes on such hard-used shoulders?Why was it always them?

First, Relena's dilemma pushes them into trouble's clutches and now this?It just wasn't fair!

Knees quaking, the usually cheerful knife-thrower sunk into the cushions of her previous seat, one hand clutching the edge of the short table as if holding onto stability itself, the hard, cool surface the only thing keeping her rooted firmly in the chaotic, sad world she existed in.

It just wasn't fair.

"Cathy!Commander!Where's Zechs?It's urgent??"Hilde trotted up to them, her face pale and tired, eyes determined even in the face of such adversity.

Une stood, body straightening as her military bearing reasserted itself, "With Noin in recovery.What's so urgent?"

"Dorothy!She's disappeared."

"What!" Une could NOT deal with this right now, "What the hell does she think she's doing?Doesn't she know we have enough to worry about without having to track her down too?"

Hilde grimaced before answering, "I think she went after Devon.ERIS kidnapped him a few nights ago.She left this.I think Zechs should see it."She held out a yellowed sheet of paper, the Peacecraft family crest plainly visible despite the faded ink.

The top-ranking official of the Preventers frowned slightly, fully awake now, "What is it?"

Sighing, Hilde unfolded the brittle paper, "A Marriage license . . . Evelyn Scripnikov and Trajan Peacecraft's marriage license."

Cathy paled, "What?!You can't mean --"

Hilde's eyes darkened with apprehensive certainty, "Zechs and Relena's dad was married to the one responsible for all of this."

 

 

(AN:Oh holy hell, where did THAT come from O.O!)To be continued . . .