Made of You:Chapter 6

by Kysra

 

 

 

"So this is it," Relena whispered to the child growing within her, one hand stroking her abdomen while the other lay against the cool glass of her window. They were on their way to the airport where Quatre's personal jet would bring them to her new temporary hiding place, the hum of the car engine low and somewhat soothing, somewhat irritating as her eyes took in the blurred scenery while they traveled farther and farther away from her home.

Distantly, she was aware of Milliardo and Noin's voices as they talked of this and that, trying to act normal in spite of a very abnormal situation. She appreciated the effort, but it wasn't really needed. Relena was much too aware of just how unusual her present position in life was; afterall, how many girls could say they had been Queen of the World only to become a peace representative who has so many assassins who want her dead she has to hide away in a friend's house in a remote area.

To add to the feeling of displacement was the absence of her limo and Pagan. In order to keep from drawing attention, Milliardo had insisted upon driving her to the airport himself, no limos allowed. Also, Catherine, Dorothy, and Hilde were allowed to see them off, but the women were not given any details which could be slipped in normal conversation. All they knew was Relena was going away with Duo, Trowa, and Wufei as her bodyguards in reaction to the many untraceable assassination attempts that had occurred during the past few months. The press hadn't even been told that much.

And that was really the only good thing about this whole plan: the press and the public would never know about her pregnancy. The only information they had been given was that she was going on a vacation. Period. She wouldn't have to worry about paparazzi sneaking around the house, snapping unauthorized photos, or digging through her trash.

"We're here. "

Relena looked up, alerted to her surroundings by Milliardo's soft words, and found that they had indeed reached the airport. Milliardo had already parked the car on a deserted runway next to Quatre's private jet. Dread rose up in her gut. She didn't want to leave her family.

Her mother had told her to enjoy herself when they had spoken the night before, encouraging her to be on the look out for a potential mate and warning her not to do anything overly wild or strenuous. She had smiled and joked with the woman who raised her deep into the night, trying to keep herself from telling the truth. It was truly a low point in her life when she was forced to lie to her own mother.

Sighing softly, Relena exited the car with care, not waiting for Milliardo to open the door for her, and breathed in the acrid smell of gas and burnt oil that wafted through the air, cringing as the roar of a jet breaking through the sound barrier stabbed through the air above her. It wasn't the most pleasant of atmospheres for emotional good-byes.

Her eyes stung with suppressed tears as she thought of all the things she wouldn't be able to share with Noin, Hilde, Catherine, or Dorothy. She wouldn't be able to go shopping with them for maternity clothes, share her thoughts or fears about the baby's growth and health with them, or just talk about trivial things. She wouldn't be able to see Milliardo whenever she wished, play a quiet game of chess with Pagan, or just lay in her room daydreaming about Heero and the child they had created together. No, a new set of circumstances and living arrangements lay before her, and she would have to make the best of it.

A movement on the corner of her eye attracted her gaze to the right, and she watched as a silver car approached them, stopping abruptly to allow Hilde to sprint out toward her.

"RELENA!!!!" The zipping blur of energy that was Hilde very nearly tackled Relena to the ground, "I'll miss you so much! Take care of Duo all right, and if he even so much as looks at another female, you have my permission to severely hurt him ok?"

Relena felt herself giggling despite her depression of moments before. It was just so hard to stay sad in the face of someone as chipper as Hilde, "Ok. And I'll be sure to send you a line every once in a while to see how your wedding plans are going. "

Hilde pulled away a bit to smile at her friend, "Amen to that! If there is one thing I'm happy about in the middle of all this, its the wedding. At least I won't be bored while Duo's gone. "

Guilt crashed down upon Relena at those words, and the dark shadows of dread began to creep into her heart once more. It was all her fault that Hilde would be without her fiancé. It was all her fault that her best friend would be forced to suffer while she was gallivanting in the countryside with three men, one of which belonged here with his future wife.

"I'm so sorry . . . to everyone. Maybe I should just go alone. Yes, that would be best. No one would be inconvenienced that way," she whispered, and Hilde immediately reprimanded her for thinking such a thing, saying it wasn't her fault and everyone was concerned about her welfare. It wasn't her fault . . .

Duo, after hauling his luggage out the trunk of his car, approached them with his usual lopsided grin firmly in place, "Hey Relena! Hilde stop hoggin' her! I'm her friend too!"

Hilde stepped away, a concerned look etched on her pretty face as Duo wrapped Relena in a friendly embrace. It didn't escape his fiancee's notice that he squeezed the pregnant girl just a little bit, a sign that her pale, sullen expression had not been missed by the self-proclaimed 'God of Death. 'Maybe Duo could cheer her up and alleviate her deep-seated guilt clearly reflected in the downcast sea-blue eyes.

Distantly, Relena could hear Quatre's voice greeting everyone accompanied by Sally rebuking Wufei for some tactless comment and little Devon's small questioning voice. Catherine's voice joined theirs, and soon everyone was chattering, saying their good-byes, making jokes about three men living with a pregnant woman and the things that might happen in a comedic sense. Their laughter washed over her as Duo released her, making her feel a vague but poignant bolt of nostalgia. When had she lost her own carefree, delighted laugh?When had she become so serious and unyielding in her gloom?

"Hey, chin up," Duo's voice pulled her from the dark tunnel she had begun to travel, "It won't be so bad. Afterall, you have me to keep you company. Now smile for me. "He patted her cheek, a strangely comforting gesture, and she found herself smiling in spite of herself. He smiled back widely and turned away, allowing Sally to hug her goodbye.

"You take care of yourself, and I'll see you in a month. "

"I know. I'm looking forward to it. God, I hope they know to put the toilet seat down. "

Sally chuckled in her ear, and Relena felt somewhat gratified even if the sentiment was meant literally.

"Take it easy," the doctor said seriously, "Don't overwork yourself, and if you have to pick up something heavy, let one of the boys do it. Oh yeah, and if Wufei says anything stupid you have my full permission to hurt him. "

"You sound like Hilde. "

The older woman straightened, releasing the blonde from her grip, "Maybe because the men in our lives need to be constantly reminded who the boss actually is?"

Relena laughed though it wasn't completely genuine, tinged with a note of melancholy, "I'll do my best to enlighten them to the true order of the world. "

They conversed a bit more, Sally reminding Relena what not to do while instructing her on how to keep herself and the baby healthy, and when Catherine expressed the desire to say her good-byes, Relena felt the cold lump of apprehension reestablish itself in her stomach. There were only a few good-byes left to be said, and then . . .

"You look like a puppy that has just been kicked," Catherine smiled as her arms wrapped around Relena's shoulders for a short hug, "Lighten up! It's not the end of the world, and you'll be home before you know it!"

"And you'll be able to spoil the kid rotten, right?" Relena snorted.

"Of course!Now let's see that pretty smile of yours. "

Relena smiled slightly, feeling tears prickle the back of her eyes as she did so.

"No that won't do at all. You look like you're about to cry," Catherine observed quietly, her hands still on the shorter girl's shoulders.

"I am about to cry Cathy," Relena sniffed as her eyes filled with tears and her cheeks became flushed. "

Catherine's face softened, "It will be ok. You'll see. Have faith in Heero, the boys, and everyone. "

"I do. It's just . . . "

"I know. It's hard moving away from everything you know, but you have Duo to give you a good laugh when things get too intense, Wufei to yell at when you get frustrated, and Trowa to listen if you ever need an ear. It won't be as bad as you think it is. "

Relena smiled a genuine smile at her friend and hugged her again, "I guess I should listen to what everyone has been trying to tell me. I just don't want to be away from everyone while I'm like this. "Of course Catherine knew Relena meant to say pregnant, but she just grinned, touched Relena's face gently then left to find Trowa.

Three down, five to go, and three of that five were advancing in her general direction. The smile was wiped off her face in an instant, her eyes meeting compassionate deep blue.

Dorothy reached her first, pulling her into a tight embrace while little Devon tugged on the hem of her skirt, wanting to be held by his aunt. Poor thing, the last time he had seen her was the day she fainted. Hadn't Quatre told her the little boy had cried, thinking his Auntie Ree was dead?

Moving out of Dorothy's arms, Relena pasted a cheerful expression on her face, bending down then lifting Devon into her arms.

"Promise you'll be careful," Dorothy said quietly, her eyes boring into Relena who was seemingly absorbed in the toddler she held.

"Aren't I always?Isn't that right Devi?? Isn't Auntie Ree careful?" She laughed as he tugged at her hair, thinking that one day soon, her own child would be in her arms just like this.

"I mean it Relena. Be careful. We will miss you, but we'll be absolutely devastated if anything happened to you. "

Relena turned her head to look at the other woman, "I'll be fine. At least, that's what everyone else keeps telling me. Don't worry so much. " Yet, even as the words left her lips, she cursed herself for such hypocrisy. She was worried that much herself.

"Relena's right Dorothy. She'll be fine," Quatre broke in, enveloping Relena in a half hug since his son was in the way. His eyes, those expressive, almost empathic eyes seemed to take hold of her own, analyzing every passing thought and every heartfelt emotion. He could see right through her, and his frown told her that he knew exactly how scared she actually was.

The Arabian ran a hand through his well-groomed blond hair, "It's almost time Relena. Everyone's luggage has been loaded on the plane . . . "

Relinquishing Devon to his mother, Relena could only manage a trembling kiss as Devon's goodbye. Her sister-in-law was next in the line of farewells.

Lucrezia just stood staring at Relena with tears brimming in her dark blue eyes, while Relena stared back, trying to hold the tears at bay. Then, after sharing a silent conversation, Lucrezia opened her arms, and Relena ran into them, shuddering in the wake of her fears and uncertainties.

There were no words between the two women, just a sense of comfort they took in each other's presence. They were sisters in spirit. They had a connection that went deeper than mere blood-ties. They were family -- true family.

Relena broke the contact first, not wanting to get too emotional. Composure was paramount. She didn't want anyone to see her in tears, didn't want their last memory of her to be that of a sobbing, simpering little girl who only wanted to stay home with her family and friends. She wanted them to remember her for what she was, a strong, independent, leader.

Of course, she was a pregnant, strong, independent, leader now.

Lucrezia leaned back a bit, tugging at the tendril of blonde hair that had fallen over her shoulder,a watery smile on her face. Again, no words were spoken as the dark-haired woman leaned toward Relena to place a small kiss on her forehead like a mother would a child. A goodbye. Lucrezia walked away to stand with Dorothy and Devon, Sally, Catherine, and Hilde.

Seven down, one to go. Good God. How was she going to say goodbye to Milliardo without sobbing?

The knot of dread grew larger, the intensity of her anxiety escalating till she no longer thought she could stand on her own two feet, a wave of dizziness crashing over her. Desperately, she reached out for something solid and found her brother's shoulder as his arm came about her waist, holding her against him.

"I really hate this," she muttered into his shirt front, clinging to his shoulder for support.

"Just close your eyes and let it pass. When did the doctor say you should stop experiencing this?"

"A few more weeks, but it really depends on the person. Some women experience it throughout the whole pregnancy. " She snuggled closer to her big brother, wanting the protection he had always offered suddenly. Closing her eyes, she breathed in deeply, trying to burn his scent into her memory. Why did it seem like all the men she loved were separated from her in one way or another?

Milliardo chuckled in spite of his sister's obvious distress, "Those poor boys. I wonder how they're going to deal with you. "

"They've been through worse. "

"Yes, but imagine how they'll react when you start going to Lamaze classes and having strange cravings. "

"I'm trying not to. I don't expect to be staying there that long. "

The arms around her tightened a little, reminding her of their first embrace back on Libra, but unlike that hold, she returned this one, sliding her hands down and around his middle. His silence said all that needed to be said. She would stay there no matter how long it took.

"I'll miss you. "Short. Sweet. Simple. And more importantly, true. She shuddered in his arms, losing the battle against the depression seeping into her soul. The tears broke through the barriers she had erected, and suddenly she was crying, her hands clutching at his shirt, her body trembling with anxiety.

"Rele . . . " his voice reached her, a soothing, wistful sound.

"Milli --"She felt a stinging sensation in her upper arm, turned her head, and stared at the syringe Milliardo was holding there.

"I'm sorry, little sister. "His blue eyes held the dim light of remorse as her accusatory glare burned his skin before she went limp in his arms. Cradling her to him, Zechs turned his tearful gaze to Trowa who was standing at attention a few feet away, his green eyes reflecting their usual dispassionate flatness.

"Take care of her," Zechs ordered softly as he lifted Relena's body into his arms only to relinquish his treasured sister to Trowa and watched the younger man follow his comrades into the plane, his heart breaking with the thought of losing something so precious once more.

He just prayed he wouldn't lose her forever.

 

 

***

 

 

"Vacation?"

"Indeed. However, it is our belief that the 'vacation', as Peacecraft is putting it, is actually a thinly disguised ruse. "

"Perhaps they are nervous for the girl's welfare. "

"Perhaps, or maybe they are concerned about her safety while she is pregnant. "

"Pregnant? How did she manage that?"

"We do not know, but we plan on finding out. "

"Do you still want her dead?"

"No. We want her alive. We want to take away everything she holds dear and then kill her. However, killing her is allowable if there is no other way to get her to us. "

"Understood. "

"Also, increase surveillance on her little friends, especially that Scheibecker girl. She will almost certainly spill something sooner or later. "

"Yes. "

"How is our little intruder doing?Handling his promotion well?"

"Yes, though I do not understand why you are allowing him to kill our officers. Why not kill him?"

"Despite whose side he is actually on, he has been training the young ones well. We need his skill. "

"Truly, but --"

"Do you dare question authority?"

"No, of course not. I am just concerned. "

"Your concern is unneeded. Your only job is to locate the Princess and deliver her to us. "

"Yes . . . "

"Oh and at least try to keep our intruder from finding out we know he is here. We would be very upset if he should find out how much knowledge we have accumulated in regards to Preventer assignments. "

"Your will is my command. "

"Thank you. We shall be visiting within the month, and we expect the locket to be within your possession by then along with the location of the Princess. If it is not . . . "

"Y . . . Yes. "

"Very good. See you in a few weeks. "

"Yes . . . my Queen. "

 

 

***

 

 

Heero glared at the computer screen, trying to puzzle out ERIS' motives for wanting Relena dead, as well as some miscellaneous idiosyncrasies that defied his soldier's logic.

It was no surprise some groups were against Relena. Her policies were of the extreme variety, her ideas all encompassing. People inevitably looked at totality as an encroachment on variety, something evil, masking true intentions, and veiling efforts in manipulation. It was that view that ERIS preyed upon, using their own teachings of total discipline to manipulate its students into believing the Peacecrafts were nothing but posers bent on political domination and tyranny over mankind.

Of course, that was bull shit. Relena had no real political power, and functioned only as an advisor, mediator, and liaison for and between the Earth and the colonies. In other words, it was fairly obvious that they were after Relena for more personal reasons. They taught others to hate the Peacecrafts -- meaning the whole entire bloodline -- yet they were only targeting Relena, the youngest of the Peacecraft line. The situation was further confusing when one looked at the name 'ERIS. '

Eris, the Greek goddess of discord.

Three possible scenarios came to mind:1. The person behind ERIS had some bone to pick with Relena, 2. They wanted to bring about another war between the Earth and colonies by killing Relena, or 3. Both.

Given everything he knew of the group, Heero could surmise nothing. Whoever was heading this operation wasn't behaving in a way that was either predictable or logical. For one thing, they recruited children, and while it was true he had fought in the war as no more than a child, it was still unusual to see kids no more than 4 or 5 years old be given a gun and told to shoot. The training programs had no structure, as if there was no real desire to teach these fledgling soldiers to fight, and the children were left to their own devices, shooting their guns until the bullets ran out, not caring for any wounds they may have inflicted upon others, only to go exploring in the rainforest till sundown. Some never came back, while the ones who did were rewarded with a rank.

Hearing a hoggish snort from his sleeping companion below, Heero felt himself smirk a bit. Mai was the exception. She was one of the older recruits, a year younger than himself, cursed with a very Duo-like personality. She was overly cheerful, obnoxious, and had the most irritating voice, but her charm was her genuine love of life. It seemed she flitted about without any real direction, traveling from one task to another with a zeal that he envied. She was probably one of the few people who had come here with a purpose.

Shortly after they had first been introduced, the young girl had told him her life story readily, though he had never asked her anything of a personal nature, and it was made perfectly clear what she was after. Revenge.

Her younger brother had been murdered in cold blood by one Commander John Tarpin, and somehow, she had tracked the man here. After she had been assigned as Heero's partner and student, she had thrown herself into pupil-hood, devouring any and all information Heero had inadvertently imparted to her through every word, action, and lesson he had given her.

Shaking his head, Heero fingered the badge laying at his side. Promoted. Now he was positive they knew he was undercover and a potential threat. True, they had not approached him about his identity nor committed any hostile act toward him . . . yet, but the fact they had promoted him again within a month was enough for him to know that his identity was that much closer to being discovered if it hadn't been already. With this new rank, he would be supervised more closely while his access to sensitive materials would be increased.

He needed to work faster. He needed to figure out what the hell was going on. He needed to destroy this damn place.

Feeling a heaviness in his soul, Heero switched off the laptop and lay down to sleep. There would be no killings tonight. He wouldn't risk getting caught red-handed.

Reaching into his pocket, Heero pulled out the well-worn picture of Relena, tracing a finger over the line of her cheek only to return the small photo to his pocket once more.

"Mission accepted," he whispered into the darkness before falling into a deep sleep.