Made of You: Chapter 8

by Kysra

 

 

 

"My God, you all look like shit." It wasn't a particularly nice thing to say (especially in the wee hours of the morning), but after 72 hours without sleep, food (unless you count several cups of coffee food), or a bath, Milliardo just wasn't in the mood to observe propriety or act the gracious host. Besides, honesty was always the best policy, especially with people who were sharing your plight.

"Thanks. You don't look so great yourself." Sally retorted with a sardonic grin which turned into a grimace as she got closer to the man, "You don't smell all that great either. Doesn't this place have a functioning bath?"

"Indoor plumbing is only useful if you have time to utilize the facilities." Milliardo deadpanned then allowed a slow smile to transform his features, a little color suffusing his pale skin.

Commander Une and Quatre seated themselves silently but with a nod of greeting, their expressions saying books more than any words could.  Weariness hung about their bodies, darkening their eyes and dulling their movements. Worry was a seemingly permanent mask carved into their features.

It was the same with everyone involved. It had been this way for the last month.

For the past month since his sister's departure, Milliardo, Noin, Sally, Une, and Quatre had been tearing libraries full of legal documents, journals, newspapers, and photo records apart looking for any and all clues pertaining to ERIS. Added to this was Milliardo's responsibilities as the alternate Vice Foreign Minister, and his attempts to cleanse household staff and Preventer ranks of ERIS sympathizers, with his wife's help of course.

Meanwhile, Une somehow managed to hold down the fort at Preventer headquarters, Sally helping out when she could, even in lieu of the current crisis with Heero. They had finally managed to initiate communications with his downed aircraft in the Amazon rain forest, only to find out the Perfect Soldier had downloaded a journal of his stay into the mainframe computer, letting them know exactly what they were dealing with but not who. It seemed the perpetrator of all this chaos even had Heero stumped as to their identity.

Of course, they all breathed a sigh of relief when the transmissions were downloaded and noticed the entries were somewhat recent, proving that Heero was indeed alive and well, but the fact still remained that the identity of Relena's nemesis was still unknown, leaving everyone with a gnawing nervousness that would not be assuaged. Even more dismaying was the date of the last journal entry: September 20, only a week ago. They hadn't heard from him since, the entries mysteriously stopping since then, leaving Une with only her assumptions and hopes to comfort her as to the state of Heero's welfare.

They now had two young people to worry about, never mind that they were parents of a child yet unborn, proving once more that a brief respite usually meant more trouble in the near future.

On Colony L3, Quatre spent his time between business, politics, and research into the Peacecraft family history with the help of his wife who had shown a barely comprehensible passion for genealogy. In fact, this meeting had been called by Quatre due to a rather interesting find.

A find that Milliardo wanted to be informed of as soon as possible.

"I would love to dole out pleasantries, but all of you know what kind of situation we're in. Quatre, you have the floor." Milliardo said after Noin had shut and locked the study door and seated herself for the proceedings.

"I have good news and bad news."

"That isn't something we particularly like to hear," Sally muttered softly, and Quatre directed a dry smile in her direction, his blue eyes filled with misgiving and uncertainty.

Noin's eyes were drawn to her husband who was doing his best to cover the slightly distressed look fighting to cross his face. She didn't think he could take anymore bad news, especially in the sorry state his nerves must be in . . . in the sorry state ALL of them were in.

Quatre made the decision for them all and held up four photos for inspection, "Good news first. I think we all need a little. Dorothy was looking through old letters and purchase receipts when she came up with this. It's two lockets, identical in every way except the pictures inside and the inscription on the back. As you can see, the second picture is missing." He handed the pictures to Milliardo who looked them over and turned a speculative look on the younger man.

"So how is this going to help us find our man?"

"It isn't a man after Relena. This locket," Quatre tapped one photo, "has your mother's picture in it and the first half of your father's will engraved on the back, dealing with her inheritance should he die before her. However, if you look closely with a magnifying glass on the other, you'll see an additional clause injected, dealing with the passing down of the crown if his wife or heirs couldn't accept it for any reason."

Opening one of the desk drawers, Milliardo pulled out a magnifying glass, studying the photo of the second locket intently, "Why are you insinuating that this locket with the added material does not belong to my mother as well?"

Quatre gave a long sigh, "Was your mother known by the name Evelyn?"

"No."

"That's who the second locket belongs to."

Milliardo put down the magnifying glass to stare at the blond, "You think he was having an affair with her?"

Shaking his head, Quatre spread his hands and shrugged, "I can't make that assumption, however, he did set it up so that if his heirs, for any reason, were unseated, she would be the rightful heir. It's my theory that this woman wants Relena dead to take over the Cinq Kingdom."

"Wait," Lady Une spoke up, "the non-existent Cinq Kingdom? What would she want with a kingdom that fell twice and has never regained its foothold in the world?"

"It's possible she wants to resurrect it once more. Maybe, she thinks she could do a better job at ruling," Noin replied, a sarcastic note in her voice, tired blue eyes betraying her concern.

Milliardo rested his chin on steepled fingers, eyes looking out into space, distant, "Very well. If there is such a woman, why not go after me?"

"She doesn't see you as a threat. You gave up the throne willingly to Relena, therefore, I can only theorize that she believes your claim is null and void. Also, she may want to take care of Relena first since she is much more active in politics, and if she knows Relena's pregnant . . ." Quatre trailed off, the realization dawning on him as the words left his lips, his face paling.

If this woman knew of Relena's condition, it was a frighteningly real possibility that she would make an even stronger effort to kill Relena. There would no longer be only one heir but two, and Relena's baby would be a prime target as well in competition for the inactive throne.

"She wouldn't hesitate to kill her in that case. It would be too much of a risk." Milliardo mused, his voice taking on a dream-like quality, soft and melodic, as if her wasn't even aware of the tense environment now surrounding him.

Noin crossed her arms, "Still, if this Evelyn person exists, why now?"

"Time doesn't matter to psychopaths," Lady Une muttered under her breath before musing aloud, "I wonder what she looks like."

"We don't know. It's an interesting fact that the lockets were commissioned around the time the Alliance had targeted the Cinq Kingdom, and both were lost when the Cinq Kingdom fell and the Peacecraft family were . . . separated. Considering their importance in being the only surviving documentation of King Peacecraft's will, Dorothy was surprised that any of the castle records were not destroyed . . . especially those records with any information about succession. One would logically think that if the Alliance wanted the Peacecraft family obliterated, they would have destroyed all legal information that would help any surviving relatives from resurrecting the crown." Quatre's eyes traveled around the room, hoping someone was at least taking this scenario as a possible explanation of their friend's troubles.

"Not lost," Lady Une cut in, eyes narrowing, "The one belonging to Evelyn was found after the first assassination attempt."

"WHAT!!??" Milliardo roared, "Why didn't you tell me???!!!"

Coolly, Une regarded the man, "Noin and I didn't think anything of it. There was no picture and we couldn't read the back, it was so damaged. We did, however, speculate on the possibility of it being a plant, and it is now in capable hands."

Clenching his fists, the long-haired man stood and turned his back towards those seated in the room but didn't say anything, his body framed by the darkness revealed by the large window behind the study desk. The lines of his body were taut with contracted muscle and tense nerves. It was quite obvious Milliardo was suppressing the frustration, fear, and anger building up inside.

"So where is the locket now?" Sally asked, unusually subdued.

"With Barton. We tracked down the jeweler who crafted them. His mission is to find out whatever he can about the locket. Of course, now that we have some useful information, we must tell him."

"So you knew." Quatre's voice held a note of accusation as he turned his blue eyes on Lady Une who, for all intents and purposes, was doing a great job of looking relaxed and at ease under that sharp gaze.

"I didn't know. I had my suspicions, but my research turned up nothing. I had hoped that Barton could find something more substantial."

"And has he?" Milliardo's voice, like water, flowed caressingly over their eardrums, low and soothing despite the tension in his shoulders and back.

"He hasn't reported in just yet. I told him to send a report with Sally, and now Sally must be the one to report all of this to him."

Turning around, Milliardo's face had gone from determined weariness to energetic conviction. Obviously, the prospect of an actual suspect had given him his second wind.  He now exuded the air of a true born leader. He was once again Zechs Merquise.

"Very well. Sally, you leave tonight, and I want a complete report on my sister's health by eight, the morning after you return. Une, keep trying to find information on this 'Evelyn'. Quatre, tell your wife that her efforts are greatly appreciated. Keep doing what you are doing. I want those lockets and all documents proving their existence found and destroyed."

Noin's eyes widened as she stared at her husband, "But your father's will!"

"It doesn't matter," Milliardo murmured, taking long strides to the nearest bookcase and plucking a framed picture of himself, Noin, and Relena, his fingers smoothing over the glass surface covering Relena's likeness, "She does." He paused, raised his eyes settle a sweeping gaze on Quatre only to look down on the photograph again, "You said you had bad news Quatre?"

"Yes." Quatre spoke up hesitantly after a few moments of silence, and Milliardo had to keep from looking at the younger man, had to force down the impulse to read his expression.

"What is it?"

"I'm sorry Zechs, but the jet logs have been stolen.  They know where Relena is."

The frame fell from limp fingers only to disintegrate upon impact with the floor.

*Relena . . . *

***

~Meanwhile, at the Gundam/Darlian Household~

"NO!!!! ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!"

"You can't keep me locked up like a PRISONER!!!! You're SUPPOSED to be PROTECTING ME!!!"

"WOMAN! HOW CAN WE PROTECT YOU IF YOU'RE GALLIVANTING IN PUBLIC!!!???"

"I NEED NEW CLOTHES DAMN IT!!!!"

Duo sighed. It was like watching tennis, only less boring if not harder on the ears.

"YOU LOOK FINE TO ME!!! YOU WOMEN ALWAYS NEED SOMETHING!"

Relena glared at her raven haired protector, ignoring the unconscious compliment, "Wufei, I'm wearing YOUR pants!!!! And Duo's shirt! I can't fit into my own clothes anymore, and I WILL NOT walk around the house everyday wearing MEN'S clothing!!!!"

Wufei blinked, "What's wrong with them!!!!???"

"I'll OUT GROW them for one!!!! And they're UNCOMFORTABLE!!!!"

"Then maybe you should go on a DIET!"

OOOoohhhhh, Duo cringed as Relena's face reddened with anger.

"EXCUSE ME!!!??? IN CASE YOU HAVEN'T NOTICED, I'M PREGNANT!!!!"

A smirk tilted the corners of Wufei's mouth, and Duo wondered again for the umpteenth time that month if Wufei had a death wish.

"THAT'S NO EXCUSE FOR EATING US OUT OF HOUSE AND HOME!!!"

Relena's eyes widened dangerously then shifted her gaze to Duo who was watching the verbal sparring match with interest, "Do YOU think I've been eating a lot?"

Blinking, Duo stared at the woman. Oh damn. He had been afraid of this, but up until this point, neither Wufei or Relena had ever been cruel enough to pull him into one of their many fights. Of course, it would have to be now she dragged him into the argument and with a question that would damn him no matter how he answered. Why did women always have to ask questions like that?

Evasion procedures were needed to divert a potentially deadly situation. He opened his mouth to answer when a low, calm voice spoke from the stairs, saving him, "Not as much as Duo, and he doesn't have a medical reason."

Duo sputtered as Trowa descended the stairs, covertly watching as Relena's eyes were caught and held by the serene emerald of Trowa's gaze which was equally glued to hers. They had gotten close in the past few weeks, too close in Duo's opinion.  He made a mental note to keep an eye on them from now on.

Relena smiled then glanced at Wufei, "Tell Wufei to let me go shopping. Please Trowa."

Trowa shook his head softly, a half-smirk tilting one corner of his mouth while his eyes shifted towards the glaring Wufei, "A compromise. Dinner out and shopping. All of us." And that, coming from Trowa, meant that it would be so.

"Great! I'll go make the reservations!" Duo jumped up excitedly. It HAD been a long time since any of them had gotten out of the house especially Relena who was not allowed to go farther than viewing distance from their temporary home. It would be a good bonding experience for their makeshift little family.

Relena squealed delightedly, launching herself at Trowa who embraced her tenderly, careful of her expanding stomach. He had been such a rock, supporting her through the sickness and fatigue, accompanying her outside when she just needed a breath of fresh air, chasing the nightmares that seemed to fill her mind at the onset of darkness, and just generally being there for her. This time was no exception, and she was grateful for him, saving her from the cabin fever which seemed to press down upon her senses.

Wufei just glared at Trowa as he watched the blonde girl run (as best she could considering) up the stairs, the other man's green eyes filled with an unusual light.

A light that Wufei recognized.

"You're not doing her any favors by falling for her Barton."  Wufei crossed his arms, frowning in disapproval.

"That's why I'm letting her go," Trowa whispered, his mouth flattening out into a straight line of expressionless discontent.

It didn't go unnoticed by either that he did not deny his affection for the girl they had all come to care for.

*later*

Relena giggled, her face cracked with a 100 watt smile that could light up a room with its intensity. The night was cool and clear, the people passing them smiling and greeting them with warmth and sincerity. Everything was perfect, and she was finally out of the house.

Smoothing her hands down her sides, she reflected on the dress Duo had chosen for her, and it actually fit! Truth be told, she had forgotten she had even packed it, the days trapped in that stuffy house stamping out her memory with the onset of cabin fever.

God, she was so glad to be out and about for once. Why did the guys get so much freedom?

"I will *never* understand how women can shop so much," Duo grumbled, his arms filled with various bags and boxes as he ambled down the street.

Relena giggled and looked up at him, then turned her head to grin at Wufei who was in a similar situation, his face set on glare. Those two . . .

She and Trowa were left empty handed since she wasn't allowed to carry anything, and Trowa needed his hands free in case of an attack, a totally dubious attack. Relena shook her head wryly, her eyes darting ahead, a smile fixed upon her glowing face as she nodded to another passerby.

The night out had been good. They had eaten at a semi-formal restaurant with a very good reputation. It was dimly lit, cozy, and a live four-piece orchestra played slow, subdued melodies that visibly relaxed the three men she was currently living with.

Three men who were fast becoming much more important to her than mere friends.

It was ironic really, the way her relationships with people had changed over the years, the way she seemed to gain instead of losing even in the course of the war. Before that dark time, she had only had her foster parents and Pagan to give her familial love and support, and that had been enough; but she soon realized, with the death of her father and the introduction of the brother she had never known, that she wasn't satisfied with her hum-drum life. During the war, she had acquired Noin, a sister and confidante, and the Gundam pilots, kindred spirits to be sure. Then after . . . after had been the true test of faith and trust.

She had given up her childhood in favor of helping develop a unified world nation, creating a civilization that didn't believe war was the answer to everything, and ushering humanity to a peaceful way of life. She had given up her hope for a personal future. She had given up her dreams of Heero.

She had also given up the only mother she had ever known, and that had hurt her even more than sacrificing her personal fantasies, caused more heartache than watching Heero walk away forever.

When she had taken her foster father's position as Vice Foreign Minister, Relena had moved out of her mother's home, wanting to stay in the old Cinq Kingdom, learning all she could learn about her biological family. Then, when Milliardo returned, she had gone to stay with him and Noin, eager to get to know the brother she had never even known existed. It hadn't made her mother happy, and even though the older woman had told Relena countless times that she wasn't bitter, Relena still felt the cold bite of resentment sometimes when she spoke to the woman who raised her.

With a slight start, Relena realized she hadn't even told her mother of her condition just yet.

"Hey, are you ok?" Wufei's concern laced voice woke her from the inner recesses of her mind.

"Y-yes. Just thinking. I'm fine!" She smiled at him, then Duo who was looking at her with a frighteningly serious expression. It was only then did she realize she was crying.

She felt a strong hand at the small of her back. Trowa. A small smile reached her lips as she again regressed into la-la land, knowing her three knights would guide her. Her mind picked up the thread of thought that had been discarded just moments before.

Her bonds with Milliardo and Noin had grown stronger, along with her connections to Dorothy, Quatre, Duo, Hilde, and Sally. She had met Trowa, Catherine, and Wufei, and Lady Une became a good friend as well despite their less than amiable past.

She had acquired a rather extended family, and recently, she had begun her own . . . with the only man she could ever, would ever love.

Heero. It still never ceased to amaze her that he loved her back, his name and image flashing through her mind, scorching her skin as she felt his phantom fingertips brush across her lips . . .

Suddenly, the hand on her back moved up to her shoulder, restraining her from further movement as Duo turned, his hands dropping the packages of clothes and accessories to grasp her arms in such a way as to propel her to the side. Wufei had stepped away, throwing the merchandise he carried to the ground, clearing a space for her body to slip into a nearby building, as his hand reached inside his coat to pull out the gun hiding there.

She gasped as Duo pushed her into the building, his body shielding hers as he slammed the door behind them, separating them from the street, from Trowa and Wufei. Then the gun shots rang out, a bullet bursting through the hard wood of the door near her head. Screaming, Relena felt Duo shove her away and into another body.

"Mr. Maxwell?" Duo turned to the man holding her, a fierce fire glowing in his violet eyes.

Relena looked up into the elderly face, the kindly old man smiling down on her as a father might his daughter. There was a hint of recognition in his eyes.

*Who is he?*

"Is this the one?" The old man glanced up at Duo who nodded in answer then took her hands in his as the sounds of screaming and guns being fired intensified.

Shaking her head wildly, Relena's eyes widened as she jerked her hands from his hold, her arms crossed over her belly protectively. He smiled sadly, not saying anything for once, turned and walked out into the firestorm raging outside. It was only then that realization set in and the trembling began.

They had found her, and the three men she had come to love and trust would be the ones to pay for whatever sins she had committed against the person or people who wanted her dead so badly.

Sinking to the floor, Relena curled up into a ball and cried.