Chapter Eight

 

Heero leaned back against the railing of the gazebo, gazing out over the small pond, watching the ripples play across the water. Above him, the sky was turning a soft rosy pink, as dawn began lighting the sky and chasing the stars from the heavens. Heero breathed in the warm dessert air and sighed. Unable to sleep he'd fled to this isolated sanctuary--the estate gardens--and forced himself to take a long, hard look at who he was and what he really wanted. He'd come here to work out the conflicting emotions that still nagged him inside. The Perfect Soldier and his own bloody training had put in their arguments of course, and he'd wrestled with them and himself all night. But, in the end, it all came back to one thing.

The sound of feet coming up the garden path caused him to whirl around, thinking, for one brief second, that it might be Releena. But, no, he dismissed that almost immedietly, reconizing the footsteps to be very non-Releena.

It was Chang Wufei who came jogging around the bend, sword in hand, damp with sweat from his daily excercises. He spotted Heero at about the same time the Japanese boy saw him, and both of them froze, glaring at one another, Wufei's slanted eyes wide with shock. Heero's battle training immedietly put his senses on edge; the last time the two were together, Wufei had promised to "bring him to justice." And, while Heero felt he actually deserved Wufei's vengance, he had no intention of dying now at the Chinese pilot's sword.

Not with Releena alive, anyway.

"Yuy," Wufei stated matter-of-factly, recovering from the shock of seeing him there. He fingered his sword, and Heero tenced. "What are you doing here?"

His voice held no rancor; it was a simple, curious question, but Heero did not let his guard down. "Same as the rest of you," he answered cautiously.

"Oh? You're on vacation as well, eh?" Wufei's mouth twitched in a smirk, not quite believing the Perfect Soldier could be persuaded to take a break. Heero glared back at him calmly, and Wufei sighed.

"Yuy, listen. I.....was............wrong." Wufei cringed at his own humbling words, but kept going, talking quickly so to get it over with. "I dishonored myself and a fellow soldier with my slander and almost killed that soldier because of it. I must ..... apologize.....to you. I am unworthy." He gritted his teeth together and forced out the next sentence. "Take your

revenge as you see fit." He winced at the last, obviously invisioning a Yuy Revenge. Heero sighed, hopping down from the gazebo and approaching the other, who watched him fearfuly but stood firm, resolved, accepting his fate. But Heero walked by him with a muttered: "forget it," and Wufei turned in surprize, staring at his retreating back.

"Yuy!"

Heero paused.

Wufei was smirking again, a knowing look in his sharp black eyes. "I know why you're really here," he said softly. "It's because of that Woman, isn't it?"

Heero stared at him silently, then turned and resumed his trek to the house. Wufei watched him until he was out of sight, and his smirk dropped a little.

"Guard her well, Yuy. You'll never find anyone else just as strong as you."

 

**********************

 

Releena wandered down the vast, empty hallways of the Winner estate, her bare feet making no noise on the carpeted floor. She hadn't slept very well the night before, due to the almost painful emotions burning inside her. She'd woken up at dawn and, unable to go back to sleep, had dressed and decided to go for a walk. If anything, it would curb some of this unusual restless energy and take her mind off...certain things.

Stepping onto a balcony above the estate gardens, Releena suddenly had the strangest feeling she was being watched. Nervously, she scanned the room behind her, and then the vast layout below, but nothing unusual caught her eye. Only Chang Wufei, practicing his katas down by the pond, and he was too absorbed in his excercise to notice anything else. But she still couldn't shake the strong feeling of unease that crept over her, and suddenly decided to see if the others were awake yet, not wanting to be alone anymore.

She took two steps away from the railing, turned, and abruptly collided with a hard, unyielding chest, stumbling back with a muffled yelp of surprize. She felt two strong hands grip her upper arms to keep her from falling, and stared up into concerned blue eyes.

"Are you all right?"

 

"Heero." Releena steadied herself even as her legs threatened to give out on her. "Yes. Yes, I'm fine. Thank you."

His eyes narrowed, accessing. "Something's bothering you," he stated, blunt and to the point as usual. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I....." Releena hesitated. Should she tell him about the earlier feeling that she was being watched? Looking into Heero's intence face, she decided against it. He and the other pilots would probably tear the house apart looking for "the intruder" that was probably a figmant of her imagination. They would be paranoid and overly protective, and most likely demand that she leave the estate immedietly, for her own protection. Well, she wasn't ready to leave just yet. And the most obvious reason was staring her in the face, waiting for an answer.

"I was just......wondering where you went last night," she replied. Which wasn't untrue.

Heero's eyes softened and he released her. Turning to the railing, he leaned against it and stared out over the gardens for a time. Releena copied him, resting her elbows against the rail and watching the sun rise over the distant horizon.

"I had to work some things out," Heero stated in his usual monotone, still not meeting her eyes, his face distant and troubled. Releena's heart sank. Now would come the part where he would tell her that he made a mistake; that she had no place in the life of a soldier; that, for his safety and her own, she would not see him again. She understood Heero better than he knew, and wished she had valid arguments to counter the logic of his reasoning. But she didn't; her only argument was that she loved him more than life itself, and there was no place for love when it undermined the safety of the vice foreign minister.

"So, you'll be leaving again," she murmured, swallowing against the tightness in her throat. She turned away and kept her eyes downcast, watching the sun creep across the slowly wakening world. She couldn't look at him. If she looked at him now, she would come apart.

There was a pause, and then a strong hand caught her shoulder and turned her around. Releena dropped her eyes and stared at his chest, but Heero cupped her chin and gently forced her to look at him. His burning eyes were intence, and a little angry.

"I said I would be here, Releena," he growled in a voice that was curiously hoarse. "And I always, always keep my word." He bent closer so that their faces were just inches away, whispering the words that made her heart soar and her soul surrender to him forever.

"Releena, I....will....never....leave....you." At the last, he sealed the promise with a fervent kiss, and Releena melted into his arms.

'I didn't think I could love him anymore than I did a few seconds ago,' Releena thought numbly, through a dizzying wave of sheer, absolute bliss. 'God, I was so wrong. Heero. My life. My gaurdian angel. Do you know how much I'm in love with you; how much I want to be with you forever? There are absolutely no words to explain....how I feel. Words are not enough, they were never enough....'

Heero pulled back, looking into her eyes, satisfied that he'd settled the matter. "We should find the others," he said softly, one hand gently playing with her hair. "Most of them are awake by now. Quatre asked me to find you. He has breakfast waiting in the main hall."

Releena nodded, too dizzy and breathless at the moment to argue.

As the pair left the room, a dark, sinister pair of eyes watched them from the garden, well hidded behind a thick canopy of leaves.

 

****************

 

Duo was on his fourth helping of pancakes, and eggs, and bacon, and toast, and cereal, and earning amused stares Trowa and disgusted stares from Wufei, when Releena walked into the room.

Followed closely by Heero.

Everyone stopped eating and stared at him.

"Hey, Heero!" Duo called, but it came out more as "Hoi, Heewoo," as he sprayed bits of waffle in every direction. Wufei gave him a murderous glare and moved to the other end of the table. Releena hid a smile and Heero remained impassive as they took their places, ignoring the surprised looks they were getting from everyone else.

"When did you get here, Yuy?" Sally asked, her voice pleasant and only mildly curious, voicing the question that was on everyone's mind. Heero ignored her and reached for the coffee. No one was surprised. That was typical Yuy behavior, after all. It seemed things were back to normal.

"So, what do you guys want to do today?" Quatre asked, charming host as always. Duo swallowed his last mouthful with difficulty and grinned at him.

"Hey, Quatre, isn't there a town around here? Someplace we can get out, catch a movie, catch a couple of drinks....you know, fun stuff."

"We're too young to go barhopping, Duo." Quatre sounded solomnly amused. "And the nearest town is way across the dessert. You'd have to take a helicopter to get there."

"Well, you 'have' a helicopter, don't ya--OW!"

Hilde had suddenly reached over and yanked the end of Duo's braid.

"Actually, I do." Quatre was smiling thoughtfully. "And I could probably convince one of the Magnanac pilots to give us a ride there and back, if anyone wants to go...."

Duo beamed at him.

 

******************

 

Nearly an hour later, they were all stuffed into one tiny helicopter compartment; four teenage boys, Hilde, and Sally Po, all looking very uncomfortable at the cramped quarters. Quatre's privet chopper was actually larger than normal helicopters, but there were just too many people to squeeze in. In the end, Hilde ended up sitting on Duo's lap, and Sally Po on Wufei's, much to Wufei's extreme mortification. Sally however, didn't seem to mind.

"Are you sure you two don't want to come with us?" Quatre called as the helicopter blades began to whirl. "Rashad here could come back for you, after dropping us off!"

Noin glanced back at Releena, eyes questioning. Releena smiled but she shook her head. Heero was nowhere in sight.

"No thank you, Quatre!" Noin yelled back, as politely as she could. "I think I'd better stay here, in case there's a messege from Zeches!"

Quatre waved to show he understood, and the chopper began to lift off.

"Oi, Quatre," Duo wheezed, craning his head to look over Hilde, perched on his lap. "What about Heero and Releena? Don't they wanna come?"

"Heero said he would be busy today," Quatre replied absently, watching his mansion get smaller and smaller as they rose into the air. Duo snorted.

"That guys' always busy," he stated, rolling his violet eyes. "Wonder what mission is so freaking important this time? Can't he ever relax? We're on vacation, for God's sake!"

"You know Heero," Hilde shrugged cheerfully, making Duo grunt a feeble protest. "I feel bad for Releena, though. Now that he's there, she won't go anywhere without him."

"And he'll probably lock himself in his room and stare at his computer all day," Duo finished, trying to shift Hilde into a more comfortable position. "Oof. Oi, Quatre-man, how long till we get there?"

"About an hour."

Over Duo's groans, no one noticed Wufei's quiet, knowing smile.

 

********************

 

"Miss Noin. Can I ask you a question?"

Noin dropped her gaze from the rapidly shrinking black speck that was the chopper and turned back to the girl, who was gazing past her with a puzzled frown. Her green eyes seemed distant and troubled, and she seemed lost in thought. Noin watited patiently for her to speak her mind.

Releena sighed. "Noin, what are you supposed to do when two people, whom you both love very much, are in danger of killing each other whenever they meet?"

"Ah," Noin said softly. "This is about Heero and Zeches, isn't it?"

The girl started. "You knew--?"

"Releena." The Italian woman smiled at her and raised an amused eyebrow.

"Zeches is called away on an "emergancy" and Heero shows up the next day? You two coming in to breakfast together? The way you were looking at each other through the whole meal? Give me some credit, miss Peacecraft," Noin added, still smiling good naturedly. "It wasn't that hard to figure out."

Releena blushed. "It's that obvious?" "Well, to me anyway. And to Sally. Woman's intuition of course." Noin shrugged and grinned even more widely. "The boys wouldn't notice anything unless you pulled Heero onto the table and kissed him in front of everyone."

They both laughed. "Seriously, Noin," Releena sighed. "What am I going to do about Zeches? When he finds out about us, he'll hit the roof."

"Mmm. There's really not much you can do, miss Releena." Noin shrugged helplessly. "You know how stubborn your brother is. Just tell him the truth and hope for the best; I'm sure he'll calm down once he sees you're happy."

'If Heero doesn't kill him first.' Releena shuddered, remembering the chilling look in his eyes when Zeches had confronted him. She smiled a thank you to Noin, and began walking back to the estate, surrounded by her own gloomy thoughts.

'Why does Zeches have to be that way? Why does he insist on being so protective? I can take care of myself, why can't he see that? And Heero wouldn't let anything happen to me.' She paused and looked around the seemingly empty estate. 'Where is Heero anyway? Maybe he's in his room. I'll try there.'

"It's open," was the answer when she knocked on the door of his room. Pushing it forward, she saw Heero's dark head bent over his computer, busily typing away.

"Hey," she said softly, walking up behind him and encircling her arms around his neck. "What's this? Another mission?"

"Yes," Heero answered shortly, his eyes glued to the screen.

"Oh." Releena bit her lip and didn't say anything else, afraid she would try to convinced Heero not to go if she opened her mouth. 'You knew this would happen, Releena,' she chided herself. 'Heero is a soldier, after all. You can't keep him from his missions, you know that. All you can do is let him go and hope that he comes back to you alive.' She sighed as Heero finished whatever he was typing and let him go as he flicked off the screen.

"Was that Doctor J?" she asked, trying to keep her voice level as he stood. God, he was handsome, with his muscular body and burning sapphire eyes and brown hair always in dissarray. How would she live without him, if he never returned from one of his infernal missions?

"Yes," Heero answered again. He closed the lid, gave a nonchalant stretch, and turned to face her, his attitude the picture of calm indifference. Didn't he know he was tearing her apart inside?

"When do you leave, Heero?" Releena swallowed her disappointment and decided to live for the moment, for now. If this was her last night with him, than she would make it one to remember.

Fleetingly, she wondered how many "last nights" she would have to endure with this Perfect Soldier, before he decided to settle down, or before one of his missions finally succeeded in claiming his life.

"I don't."

For a moment, Releena wasn't sure she was hearing correctly. "N-nani?" she stammered, looking to Heero for assurance. Heero had a strange look on his face, one that actually suggested he was trying to hide a smile. Shrugging his lean shoulders, he looked at her and crossed his arms in a gesture of defiance.

"I told Doctor J to find someone else. I am on vacation, after all."

Impulsively, Releena hugged him. Heero seemed startled for a moment, then returned it tenderly, engulfing her in a slow embrace, his chin resting atop her head. She didn't know how difficult that descion had been for him. His missions had controlled his life for so long, he wasn't sure if he could just flat out refuse to accept one. He almost smiled, imagioning the look on Doctor J's face, when he typed those two simple words that he had never used before. "Mission......DENIED." Doctor J would have a conniption fit when he discovered his perfect soldier did not want to blindly dash headlong into a suicide mission without a murmur of protest, like he did all those times in the past. Heero didn't care. He would be weighing his missions very carefully after this. There were just more important things to live for.

"Come on," he said, pulling away and taking her hand. "We have the whole estate to ourselves and I want to make the most of it."

Obediently, she allowed him to pull her to the door, but then stopped short at the threshold. Puzzled, Heero turned back, raising his eyebrows, his blue eyes questioning. "Nani, Releena?"

"It's just..." Releena dropped her gaze, embarrassed. "I just can't get over how much you've changed, Heero. "

Heero frowned slightly, but it was more directed at himself. 'I have changed,' he thought calmly. 'Or, maybe, I'm finally discovering who I was all along.' He shook his head and pulled Releena closer. 'It doesn't matter now,' he decided. 'I'll start acting like Duo if it means keeping her. That's all that matters.'

'Well,' he thought on reflection, 'maybe not Duo.'

"Better get used to it," he replied, tilting her chin and giving her a real, genuine smile that melted her heart. "Or, should I stop now, before you and everyone else around me dies from accute shock?"

Releena laced her fingers behind his head. Her expression was thoughtful as she gazed at him. "Are you sure you want it this way, Heero Yuy?" she whispered seriously, looking him right in the eye. "Because I can't settle for just a part of you. I can't bear to be with you one minute and be completely shut out the next; it would kill me, Heero. It really would. So, please, think about this carefully." She gently pulled his face closer to hers and continued to hold his gaze. "No more barriers, Heero. No more walls or secrets or isolating yourself from me and the others. Be honest with yourself. Is this what you really want?"

"I've.......never wanted anything more," Heero said softly. Closing his eyes, he took a deep breath, silently gathering his courage for the last gesture that would completely undo him. His eyes were still closed when he whispered: "Releena, I love you."

Releena didn't say anything. She didn't need to. They just held each other, in the emptiness of the mansion, content in each other's arms. Heero had never felt more at peace.

"Say it for me, Releena," he murmured suddenly, his voice and his face hidden in her hair. Please, say it. I need to hear the exact words; I need actual proof that I'm not dreaming. I've changed so much I don't even recognise myself. Maybe I'm losing my mind. I don't care. I just want to hear......those words.......from her. I....I....need....to hear them. Please, Releena.....

He could feel her smile. "I love you, Heero," she whispered without hesitation.

He hugged her tightly, feeling his heart--the heart she gave him--contract almost painfully in his chest. "Promise me you'll always say it."

"Always," Releena promised. "For as long as I live, Heero. Forever."

Forever, Heero thought contentedly, forgetting, for a fatal moment, how very, very brief forever could be.....

 

************************

 

"Well, well, well," sneered a hideously familiar voice that came from Heero's open window.

The couple broke apart, Heero instinctively moving in front of Releena as they both whirled toward the sound of the voice.

"You," Heero growled in recognition, his blue eyes narrowed with hate.

"Me," Colonial Steele smiled back from behind his loaded gun. "Did you miss me, little gundam pilot? And you, miss Peacecraft? I can't tell you how thrilled I am to have the three of us together again."

"I should've killed you back there at the factory," Heero said, every muscle in his body coiled and ready for action. But, the Colonial was too far away for an attack, and Heero would not leave Releena unprotected.

He wouldn't fail her again.

Colonial Steele smiled his demonic smile. "Yes, little gundam pilot," he almost whispered, raising his gun. "You should have."

Heero shoved Releena out of the way as a gunshot shattered the heavy silence, making Releena shriek in terror. She fell out of the room, into the hallway, and looked back to see Heero collapse on the floor, half in and half out of the doorway. Gritting his teeth, he struggled to get up, but only got as far as his elbows. Blood, bright and vivid, stained his shirt and slowly spread over a spot near his ribs. His eyes were glazed over with pain as he raised his head to look at her.

"Get out of here, Releena," he whispered through clenched teeth. A little trickle of blood ran from the corner of his mouth. "I'll hold him here as long as I can. Run, find Noin...."

"No, Heero, no!" Releena whispered back, close to panic. Tears streamed down her face and she shook her head helplessly. "I can't......not now....oh, God please!"

"Releena, go!" Heero hissed savagely. His pain filled eyes found hers and held them for the briefest of moments. "Go," he whispered, as the sound of heavy boots could be heard coming up behind him. "Please. Let me protect you, one last time."

"Miss Peacecraft?" came the Colonial's mocking, singsong voice. He was almost at the doorway, and Releena could see Heero's muscles tence, gathering strength for one last, desperate gamble. For her.

She managed a tiny nod. Even though her heart and soul was being ripped from her body, she swore his sacrifice would not be in vain.

"Miss Peacecraaaaaaaaaaaft?" The Colonial's voice was right above Heero's body, and his cruel face popped into veiw. "Ah, there you a--"

With every ounce of his remaining strength, Heero surged up and tackled the evil colonial, putting all his hate, all his rage and desperation and sorrow into one final attack. Colonial Steele howled in surprise and anger as the mortally wounded boy drove him back with a strength that was impossible. He tried to bring up his gun to shoot the pilot through the chest, but Heero grappled with him desperately as they rolled and thrashed on the floor.

"Releena, RUN!" Heero yelled as he clung to the man's weapon arm like a second skin. His strength, along with his life fluids, was draining away and he was weakening rapidly. But he held on with a dogged determination, knowing that this was his last battle, and his last chance to redeem himself for all past failures. Colonial Steele was finally able to free a hand, and struck Heero a solid blow across the face, but Heero gritted his teeth and hung on. But the man continued to strike him mercilessly about the head and face, until the teenager's deathgrip finally loosened, and he slumped to the floor in a dazed heap.

Gripping his gun, the colonial sprinted to the door, but the young foreign minister was nowhere in sight. He cursed loudly and spun back around, knowing he had to leave quickly before he was discovered. Just one last thing to do before he left.....

The young pilot was lying on his back, panting hard, his blood blossoming over his shirt and pooling beneath him. Yet, as the colonial approached, he saw that the boy was actually smirking at him.

"She got away, didn't she?" he sneered, though it was an exteamly pained sneer. "You'll....never catch her now." He paused breifly to cough up blood before continuing. "They'll hunt you down like....like the vermain you are, Steele. She's safe now. You....lost."

Steel's rage exploded, and he kicked the boy in the stomach as hard as he could. "Shut up!" He kicked him again, and heard something gave way with a satisfying crack. The pilot winced and curled up in a ball, but no screams of pain came through his clenched teeth.

The colonial went berserk with rage. "Cry out, damn you!" he yelled, kicking and hitting the broken body until he was covered with blood. Still, the boy refused to make a sound. "Damn you, boy! Scream! Cry out! Beg for mercy!" He grabbed a handful of the thick, dark hair and backfisted him with the gun, again and again and again. But the boy remained defiantly still, and his blood soaked the carpet in vivid red pools.

Heero was in agony. The hideous pain saturated every muscle, every nerve ending, until he was aware of nothing else. He was fading rapidly, slipping into that welcome blackness that loomed ever closer, blanking out every other thought. Every thought, except one....one that was vitally important. What was it? He felt he needed to remember.

Vaguely, he was aware that the beating had finally stopped, and cracked open puffy, bleary eyes to see his enemy standing over him. He was shaking his head in apparant loathing and disgust.

"Damn, you, boy," he heard a voice say. "At least, I'll have the satisfaction of knowing that you will never again interfere with my plans. You won't be around to protect her any longer."

Releena, his mind whispered. And with the thought came a feeling of deep, utter peace. The colonial was pointing the gun at his heart, but all Heero could see was her face, smiling down at him, her eyes filled with love. And he smiled back, letting his eyes drift shut, but still seeing her there.

Releena. I'll be waiting for you on the other side.

 

**********************

 

BANG!

Releena gasped as the sound of a gunshot rang through the air. Noin and the six Magnanacs behind her came to a sudden halt, there eyes grim, gazing at Releena.

Oh, God! Releena's mind screamed. HEERO!

"Releena, maybe you'd better stay here," Noin cautioned, but Releena didn't hear her. Ignoring the cries of protest from the lieutenant and the Magnanacs, she raced up the stairs, her eyes filling with tears, knowing what she would find but hoping against hope all the same. If she met that bastard colonial, she would rip his throat out with her bare hands. Nothing mattered now, except the heavy, aching knowlege that Heero, her knight, her protecter, and her love, was gone.

Please, let him be alive, she was crying silently as she approached the blood spattered doorway to his room. She wasn't even carrying a weapon, but all thoughts of her own safety had fled. Heero, you're so strong. I know you've survived this, I just know it. Please.....you can't leave me alone again. You promised.

Dashing into the room, she suddenly slammed into a tall, muscular body, and all her grief and rage boiled over, drowning her fear. "You bastard!" she screamed, her knee coming up to strike her enemy in the groin. He went down with a startled grunt, and she snatched the smoking gun out of his hand. With a yelp, the owner grappled for it, even as Releena tried to bring it up to shoot him through his poisoned black heart.

"Releena!" The familiar voice snapped her out of her vengence filled fury.

"Zeches!" she gasped, seeing the angry, grimacing face of her brother filter through a red tinged vision. Snatching his gun back, he glared at her, furious and relieved at the same time. At that moment, Noin and the others burst into the room, and Zeches turned his enraged expression on them.

"What the hell is going on?" he demaded.

As Noin quickly began to explain the situation, Releena peered behind her brother, and gasped. Colonial Steel was on the floor, his face twisted in a permanant look of shock, a gaping bullet hole through his forehead. She gazed at the dead colonial and felt no remorse.

Then, her gaze travelled past the slain enemy, and her heart seemed to catch in her throat at the sight of the lean, bloody figure lying on his back in the corner.

She approached calmly and knelt by his side. Gazing into his slack face, she couldn't put into words what she was feeling at that terrible moment. Sorrow, grief; these were only meaningless expressions; they couldn't begin to describe the loss, or the pain. She felt numb inside. She felt completely empty.

"Is this what it feels like, Heero?" she whispered to the motionless body. "To feel nothing inside, because you've lost so much, and the pain is so great?" She waited for the tears, but the void in her soul had swallowed them all.

"You were right, Heero," she murmured, calmly brushing his bangs from his eyes. "You were right to close off your heart and keep all those barriers around so that no one could ever get close. Because, it just hurts too, too much to let them go." She gazed into his sweet, peaceful face, and felt a twinge of guilt, before shutting it away. "I will always love you, Heero," she whispered, leaning close and shutting her eyes through the pain. "But, I will never, never, let anyone get that close again. "

"Don't say that."

"N-nani?" Releena gasped and her eyes flew open.

His prussian blue eyes were as clear and as gorgeous as ever as he gazed into her face. "Don't shut yourself away, Releena," he whispered, though it was an obvious effort for him to talk. "Your light shines too brightly to be hidden. That's what drew me to you in the first place. I..." He started coughing, and Noin was at his side instantly.

"Heero, don't try to move." She glared back at the Lightning Count, who was busy arguing with one of the Magnanacs. "Milliardo!" she yelled, breaking up their fight. "See if you can contact Quatre! Tell him we need Sally over here right away! Releena, get me a bowl of warm water and any bandages you can find. No, Heero, don't talk," she ordered as the two Peacecrafts ran off to their assigned tasks. "If I'm not mistaken, you've been lung shot, and we're gonna need a doctor out here right away."

"Steele," Heero managed to grit out, wincing as Noin pressed a rag to the bullet wound to staunch the flow.

"Dead. Now, hold still, willya, kid?"

"I'll have.....to thank Zeches......when he comes around...." and Heero drifted away into blackness.

 

**********************

 

Two weeks later.

Releena stood on the balcony again, gazing into the night sky, feeling mixed emotions of sorrow and joy. She was happy because Heero was finally on his feet, after his near death experiance with Colonial Steele. He and her stubborn brother had also come to terms. They would never like each other much, but Releena told Zeches how Heero had offered his own life to save hers that night, and Zeches was eternally grateful to Heero for protecting her.

Even if he wouldn't admit it.

The bad news was that the vacation was almost over. They would all have to return to their regular lives the next morning. For Releena, it would be back to the endless meetings and flattering polititians and mountainous stacks of paperwork. But, at least she would be leaving here with something she didn't have before, something incredibaly precious.

She felt his presence behind her even before his strong arms encircled her waist, and leaned back into him with a sigh.

"It's too bad we didn't have more time together," she mused, not bitterly, looking out at the quiet dessert sky and wondering if she would ever feel this peaceful again.

"We'll have the rest of our lives, Releena," came the soft, deep voice behind her.

"Heero?"

"Hm?"

"Will you say it for me?"

She felt him smile, as he gently turned her around and lifted her chin. "I love you, Releena," he whispered, as he pulled her into a kiss that signified the rest of their lives together.

 

 

End.