Seduction

Chapter 11

It was near dusk before Heero returned to Maresfield. The journey had taken much longer than he supposed. When he had arrived at the palace in London he had hoped that once the King had been given the message that a physician would be immediately available. However, the King himself was indisposed with gout and, despite Quatre's importance for trade, the King had no intention of depriving himself of his own doctor.

As luck would have it a suitable replacement was at court, having just been presented to the King and given a commendation from the Admiralty for outstanding bravery. Lieutenant Robert Barry was a young naval surgeon who had excelled at his medical apprenticeship and had become an outstanding physician. He, though young in years, had been present at a number of sea battles during the war and had saved many lives through swift intervention, uncaring of his own safety.

Neither Heero nor Barry were particularly pleased at the King's decision. Heero did not want a naval surgeon to tend to Relena, but a medical practitioner who was more familiar with treating the fairer sex. Barry did not want to miss the sailing of his ship to attend to a diplomat who most likely had a small head cold. However, the King was adamant and arranged for a coach for them both to return in.

Heero had tried to persuade Barry to travel on horseback as it was the faster form of travel, but Barry insisted that he would be in a better state to aide the patient if he travelled in comfort. He had no intentions on riding all the way to the wilds of Sussex.

Heero spent the entire journey back in a state of quiet agitation. He was deeply concerned for the state of Relena's health and did not know whether the child doctor he was escorting back to Maresfield would be any better than Doctor Willerby. He scowled at Barry holding him responsible for all the delays in their return.

He studied him closely. He was a small man, slender and wiry. His golden hair was tied back in a bow; old fashioned but common practice amongst sailors. He had bright blue eyes that glared back at Heero when he gazed at him too long. Barry's hands were small too, it was hard to see how such an individual would have the strength to perform such operations as amputations. But then, not all strength was obvious.

When they did arrive at Maresfield Barry showed surprise.

"This is Sanq Hall?" he asked, "It seems to have shrunk from the descriptions I received in London."

Heero had already disembarked from the carriage and had spotted another carriage to the side of the house: Dr Willerby's

"This is Maresfield." Heero said gesturing impatiently "Come, your patient is inside."

Barry was irritated by Heero's behaviour and so decided to irritate him by moving as slowly as possible. He stepped down from the carriage and stretched.

"I think I should like to bath before I see the Ambassador." Barry smiled.

Heero's patience ended. He grabbed the young doctor by his coat sleeve and pulled him up the steps.

"Unhand me immediately Sir!" Barry protested, as he was dragged into the entrance hall.

He was about to protest further when he was silenced by the sounds of raised voices coming from the first floor. Heero started running up the stairs, two steps at a time. Barry shrugged and followed. Heero opened a door without knocking and entered; Barry on his heels.

The heat and stuffiness of the room immediately overwhelmed Barry. It was dark, the curtains had been drawn early, and it was lit by only a couple of candles. On the bed lay Relena, pale and obviously only semi-conscious. Beside her stood Dr Willerby who was brandishing a small knife at Wufei. The old doctor seemed to get as far as unwrapping Relena's bandage before Wufei had intervened. Wufei had placed himself between Willerby and his sister and was uttering Chinese phrases at the old man. From the look on Wufei's face, they could only be curses. Dr Willerby was looking particularly indignant at being kept from his patient, but was obviously unsure as to how to proceed other than by yelling back.

Heero immediately went to Relena and knelt by her bedside looking at her closely. Her arm was bruised: she had been subjected to more than one lot of blood letting. Her lips were dry and her face was pale and drawn. Deep shadows encircled her eyes. Heero looked up at Barry.

"Your patient" he said.

Barry remained in the doorway and raised an eyebrow "Ambassador Winner is a woman?" he asked

Dr Willerby had turned to look at the new comers. He recognised the insignia on Barry's uniform which showed that he was a surgeon and his eyes narrowed "Miss Peacecraft is my patient!" he protested "When I am allowed to attend her." He shot a look back a Wufei who stood defiant and unrepentant.

Barry bowed slightly. "My apologies sir, but I have been ordered by the King himself to take over the care of this patient."

Dr Willerby shook his head "What madness is this? The King sends a naval surgeon to look after a young lady, a clergyman threatens physical violence, and a respectable doctor is sent away like a criminal!" He reached for his black bag in disgust, tossing in the knife and snapping it shut. "So be it! I will not remain to be insulted any further. I no longer hold responsibility for the care of Miss Peacecraft! Good day to you!"

Dr Willerby strode out the door, huffing as he went. Barry bowed and watched him leave. He then turned to regard Relena from the foot of her bed and shook his head in disbelief.

"I suppose that Ambassador Winner is in good health?" he asked. Heero nodded, not looking at Barry, but still holding Relena's bruised arm gently stroking her fingers.

Barry nodded once again, then strode over to the window. He pulled back the heavy velvet curtain to let the waning dusk light in and pulled up the sash window. Cool air flowed into the stifling room. Relena moaned as the air cooled her hot skin.

Barry moved to the bureau upon which was a jug of water and a bowl. He poured some water into the bowl and proceeded to wash his hands carefully. Once satisfied he moved past Wufei, who stood back to allow him access to Relena. Barry touched her skin assessing how warm she was. He then pulled down the comforter so that she was only covered with a sheet. Relena moaned again.

"She has a high temperature that needs to be lowered. The best way is to cool her. Please ring the bell, I need my bag from the coach" Barry said to Wufei who moved quickly to oblige "She also looks dehydrated. I suppose our good old country doctor has been pursuing the usual treatment of fasting." He took her hand from Heero and inspected the cut "and blood letting." Barry shook his head "I am afraid that the cut is infected. I presume that he did not clean his instruments as often as he should."

A maid appeared and Barry gave instruction for hot and cold water to be bought, along with his bag and plenty of clean muslin squares of material. In addition, a teapot and cups were required. Barry looked at the carafe of wine that was beside Relena's bed, and inspected the glass that had a few dregs of wine in the bottom of it. He rubbed his finger over the inner surface of the glass and held up his finger to show a white powdery residue.

"Wonderful." He said, "He was also keeping her sedated with laudanum. Well, that explains why she has the appearance of delirium. She will be dreaming opium dreams, and I am afraid that they are not always good dreams to have."

Heero scowled, but Barry smiled reassuringly "Do not worry yourself unduly, Lord Heero. I am confident that I will have Miss Peacecraft back on her feet in a couple of days. In the meantime, I shall have to ask you two gentlemen to leave and to arrange for a chaperone."

Heero nodded and reached down to stroke Relena's hair once again, but was stopped by Barry.

"Kindly refrain from touching my patient with unclean hands." He said. "Please remember Lord Yuy that you were the one to engage me. If you want me to remain you will follow my rules."

Heero once again glared at Barry, but, begrudgingly nodded and after looking once more at Relena left the room. Wufei, however, just crossed his arms.

"I am not leaving my sister. I will chaperone her. And please believe me, I will pay great attention to what you do to her!" he said.

Barry looked surprised "You are her brother? Well, this is interesting." He turned to open his bag and said in fluent Mandarin "Very well, do as you please."

It was Wufei's turn to look surprised, but was prevented from commenting by the arrival of a bowl of cold water and a kettle full of steaming water. The kettle was placed by the fire so that it would remain hot.

Barry took the bowl of cold water, and added a splash of hot to make it tepid. He then sat on the edge of Relena's bed and dipped some cloth into the water. He squeezed the excess water out of the material, then touched the cloth to Relena's hot skin.

She cried out in her sleep at the discomfort and started to shiver, her skin puckering into goosebumps. Barry kept watching his patient as he wiped the cloth down her face and arms.

"It is a good sign" he said at Wufei's obvious concern "Her temperature needs to be lowered. She will not like it but it will get her well."

Relena's eyes had flickered open now and she was watching Barry work, her eyes still glazed.

"Hello Miss Peacecraft" Barry smiled at her

"I am cold" Relena shivered.

"Yes, you will be. But it is only for a little while." Barry turned to Wufei "Please continue to wipe her head whilst I make her something to drink"

Wufei took the cloth from Barry's hand and very gently ran it over Relena's head. Barry took a teacup and, reaching into his bag bought forth a number of small jars. Opening one he took out what appeared to be bark from a tree.

"Willow bark" Barry confirmed "It is very good for bringing a fever down." He put it in a cup and poured the warm water over it "It will not give nightmares like laudanum can." He watched the bark infuse for a little while, then removed it and taking another little pottery jar spooned out a couple of teaspoons of honey and mixed it to the infusion "Willow bark tea can be bitter. The honey will sweeten it and also make her feel stronger." Barry looked over at Relena "I should imagine that you would welcome a drink."

Relena nodded and allowed Barry to bring the cup to her mouth. She sipped a little, then tried to drink more, but Barry would not let her.

"Now, just a little at a time. I do not want to add nausea to your list of ills." He chuckled. He put down the cup and took Relena's hand, assessing the infection. "How long is it since you ate?" he asked noting her thinness.

Relena shook her head and did not answer, and Barry looked to Wufei.

"I do not know. The doctor had her fasting, but I doubt that she has eaten much since our mothers death, five days ago." Wufei said quietly.

"My condolences." Barry murmured as he started to clean the wound at Relena's wrist. When satisfied it was clean, he took the little pot of honey and drizzled some over the wound before tying it with a clean bandage. "Honey has remarkable properties. You may have noticed that honey never develops a mould, even in the muggiest of weathers. It is very good for drawing out infection and preventing escalation of infections. I have always had great success with it."

Barry finished tying the bandage and checking Relena's temperature, he began to wipe her again with the cloth rinsed in tepid water.

Wufei was impressed with the Doctor. He was young, but Wufei could tell from his rank that he had done well in the navy. Barry seemed a man of fine character. And astute.

"I suspect your sister has fallen into a depression." Barry said quietly "This is not uncommon after the loss of a loved one." He reached for his bag again and produced a number of little black vials, all stopped with glass corks. He looked at the labels considering, then selected three. "These are oils which will help to brighten your sisters spirit. A few drops of Melissa, Neroli, Jasmine and Geranium should help her fight her depression."

Wufei watched as Barry measured the drops out into a saucer, curious as to how Relena would take it. But then Barry placed the saucer by the fire. The heat of the fire warmed the oil and almost immediately a wonderful scent began to pervade the room. Barry grinned at Wufei's reaction, then moved back to Relena and started to gently wipe her head again.

"How do you know Mandarin?" Wufei asked settling back to watch the doctor work.

"My father was Chinese." Barry answered. "I take after my mother." He smiled "I found it easier to Anglicise my name when I joined the navy. It made my acceptance much easier." Barry looked down at Relena whose colour looked a little better now that her temperature had fallen. "Now, Miss Peacecraft. I think some natural sleep is called for. No more laudanum for you and I promise that your dreams will be a lot sweeter."

Relena smiled sleepily "Thank you miss." She said as she slipped into sleep.

Wufei thought for a moment that he had misheard or that Relena was delirious again. But then he saw Barry had stopped moving, startled at the reference. Barry seemed to catch himself made no comment as he continued to pack away his honey jars, oils and willow bark.

Wufei looked at Barry's profile. It was delicate almost dainty. No beard or stubble marred his smooth cheeks. His hands were small and fine his fingers long and refined. Barry stopped working and turned to look at Wufei.

"What?" he asked. His voice was high too like a boy who had not yet reached adolescence. Yet, this was no boy.

"You are a woman!" Wufei exclaimed.

Barry raised an eyebrow "I beg your pardon? What did you call me?"

"A woman." Wufei was looking at Barry wondering how he could possibly have missed it before.

"Sir, I have called people out to duel for less than that! Retract your statement at once!" Barry said angrily.

Wufei snorted "I am hardly going to fight a woman. Besides, I am clergy. I do not fight."

Barry scowled as Wufei walked up and looked closely, walking around him. "Your disguise is very good. If my sister had not noticed I would never have seen your true sex." He smiled "So, not only did you have to anglicise your name to disguise your heritage, you also had to disguise your sex to enter the navy. What is your real name?"

Barry continued to glare, his eyes narrowed, arms crossed.

"Dr Barry, I am not going to give you away. You have my word. I am simply curious." Wufei returned to his seat and sat waiting.

Barry* stared at him then bent his head in defeat. He bought a hand up to run through his hair. ".Sally Po." She finally said.

"I am very pleased to meet you Miss Po." Wufei smiled. "Be assured I will not give your secret away. I am most impressed with your strength of character."

 

* * * *

 

Treize was not having a good day.

It had started with a note from Millardo stating that although he wanted to continue their most important friendship, Miss Peacecraft would not be accepting any more visits from him in the capacity of a suitor.

Next was a visit from a merchant that Treize owed money to. This tradesman had the effrontery to call to the front door and he gossiped to Treize's butler about Treize's lack of funds. Treize had to borrow a little cash from Lady Une to pay the merchant off and then spent a good half hour reassuring his butler that there was no problem with Treize's monetary affairs and that the butler would be paid his wage shortly.

The third annoyance was that Dorothy still was in his home, despite his many requests that she leave. Treize knew that Dorothy did not like him any more than he liked her. He supposed that she remained just to annoy him. And annoy him she did.

How dare she interfere with his plans for Relena! How dare she tip off Yuy. Because of her interference he had lost his chance with Relena and now his debtors were beginning to close in. If Treize could not find a new source of money soon he was going to loose his reputation and respectability. That would be intolerable.

Treize felt two hands rub his shoulders and he smiled. He raised a hand to catch Lady Une's hand and turned his head slightly to kiss the caught hand. Lady Une reached down and breathed softly in his ear.

"All is not lost, dear Master Treize." She whispered "Millardo still considers you to be his closest associate and Heero's behaviour at the ball had only reinforced the fact." She moved around to his front and slowly sat on his lap, her arms caught around his neck, his arms around her waist.

"My Lady, you are my only comfort." Treize said, nuzzling her neck. He looked back up at her. "But whilst Millardo still considers me a friend, this will not assist me in the wooing of his sister. Her mind is made up."

Une frowned. "Then you must take her. And I would suggest that you do is soon." Treize looked at her questioningly and Une continued "I have heard rumour that Miss Peacecraft is very ill. If she dies a single woman, her fortune reverts to Millardo and his heirs. However, if she dies a married woman, her money will go to her husband."

Treize looked at Une considering her mood. She was an intriguing woman, sometimes innocent and caring, sometimes manipulative and devious. It seemed that she was in the latter mood tonight.

"Are you suggesting I go and woo her again?" Treize asked.

Une smiled broadly "No, I think it is time for a different approach. I think this time you should just take her."

Treize frowned. "Take her?"

Une nodded "You must be resolute in this Master Treize. Wars are never won by the faint hearted. Take her, cross the border to Scotland and Gretna Green. Wed her whether she says yes or no. Then her fortune will be yours."

Treize held Une close to his chest, pressing her well-rounded figure against his. "Lady, you astound me sometimes."

Une smiled through lowered lashes then tilted her head up to allow her mouth to be kissed thoroughly.

 

* * * *

 

Dorothy frowned. She was not above eavesdropping, quite often it gained her the upper hand in dealing with her family. This time was no exception. She had discovered that Relena was ill, maybe to the point of death, and Treize was intending to abduct and marry her.

Interesting.

Well, at least Relena would be out of Dorothy's hair and she would no longer distract Heero. Still, Dorothy felt unsettled by this development. She sighed knowing the reason why.

The annoying Ambassador Winner. He had been so disappointed with her at the ball, he had made her ashamed of what she had done. He had made her cry, the first person to achieve that in a very long time. He had awakened in her a sense of shame. And now, when she tired to feel happy in the knowledge that Miss Peacecraft was soon to be out of her way, Dorothy kept seeing Quatre's doleful eyes telling her to do the correct thing.

Dorothy was still standing outside Treize's study contemplating Quatre's eyes when the door opened and Treize stood there regarding her in contempt. At his side stood Une, her eyes narrowed thoughtfully.

"Still here Dorothy?" Treize asked.

Dorothy suddenly found herself feeling insecure as the couple regarded her. Her feeling of foreboding was confirmed as Une grabbed her arm and twisted in painfully behind her back.

"The little sneak has been listening" Une hissed.

Treize raised an eyebrow. "Is this true cousin?" he asked

Une did not give her the chance to reply, but twisted her arm further causing her to cry out.

"Of course it is true Master Treize. She has plotted against you from the first and she is about to try and impede you again! Why else would she remain!"

"Because I like to torment my cousin. He wishes me gone, so I stay." Dorothy struggled against Une trying to free herself, but Une was too strong.

Treize nodded and touched the white rose that was tucked into his button hole "Of course, Dorothy" he nodded, "But I think I shall follow my lady's instincts. Let us escort you to your room, I think you need to rest."

Taking her other arm, Treize and Une walked Dorothy to her room. Opening the door Une none too gently pushed Dorothy in. Dorothy spun around and glared at them both rubbing the arm that Une had held so tightly.

"I am sure you understand, cousin." Treize nodded to her and pulled the door closed. Dorothy scowled until she heard a key turn in the lock. She rushed to the door trying to open it. Finding she could not, she banged her fists against the door.

"Let me out!" she cried, angry at this turn of events. Outside her door all she could hear was the sound of Une's laughter gradually becoming more distant.

* * * *

Heero felt exhausted. His headlong flight to London and back had only been maintained by the thought of Relena so pale and ill. Now that he was back at Maresfield and Relena was responding well to Dr Barry's treatment, he allowed his body to feel its exhaustion. He lay on his bed fully dressed and let himself relax, thinking of his momentary glimpse of Relena a little earlier.

 

 

Dr Barry had retired to his room and Wufei had gone back to the Vicarage to convey the news to his father that Relena was on the mend. Catherine had finished resting and was now back with her mistress. Heero had watched Relena sleep from the doorway, and felt relief to see her pale face less deathly white than it had been a few hours earlier. The room in which she rested was wonderfully scented with Jasmine, even though Heero could see no flowers. The scent made him relax as he watched Relena's gentle regular breathing and Heero had felt his eyelids lower. He had at that point wanted nothing more that to creep into the bed beside her.

Catherine catching him in the door had rudely bought Heero back to his senses. She had smiled softly then put on a stern face and pushed the door shut.

Now in his room, he was just beginning to doze when his door slamming wakened him. Heero jumped at the noise and sat upright. Duo was standing in the room. Heero blinked a couple of times to clear his vision and frowned.

"What do you want Duo?" he asked, then was started into full wakefulness by Duo striding over, grasping him by the lapels of his coat and dragging him off the bed. Heero stumbled, but then found his feet. "What the hell are you doing?" he demanded, pulling out of Duo's grip.

"You lied to me!" Duo growled.

Heero regarded his normally cheerful cousin in some surprise "I lied? About what?" Heero asked, still a little muzzy from lack of sleep.

Duo took a stop closer to him, his fist clenched and threatening. Heero was forced to take a step backwards to avoid Duo making contact with him.

"You lied about Hilde. Miss Schbeiker." Duo said angrily "You said that you had not met her before."

Heero ran his hand through his hair "I have not." He said.

"So explain why I saw her today find your room" Duo jabbed Heero in the chest with his forefinger "unassisted. She knew where to go, cousin."

"Duo. I do not know what you are referring to." Heero's eyes narrowed "What are you inferring."

Duo scowled. "You know exactly what I am inferring."

Heero had had enough. "Yes, I do know. But I do not like it. I am tired, I want to sleep. Go and ask your Miss Schbeiker how she knew, because I do not. Nor do I care."

Duo suddenly threw a right hook, which connected with Heero's face. Heero caught by surprise spun back, his leg tangling on the foot of his bed. He fell backwards to the ground. Heero winced as he propped himself up on one elbow to regard Duo with amazement.

"I will" Duo said, turning on his heel. As he left the room he called over his shoulder "This is not finished with yet Yuy!"

"Oh." Heero muttered, "Good."

 

* * * *

 

As Heero finished washing his bruised face there was another tap on the door. Heero called out for the person to enter and continued to pat his face dry. He was startled to feel cool fingers prod the side of his face and, looking around, saw Dr Barry regarding him with some mirth.

"You should get a nice bruise from that." He commented.

"Hnnn." Heero looked at his face in the mirror. "Who would have thought my cousin would throw such a good punch." Heero paused and looked in concern at the doctor "Is there something wrong with Miss Peacecraft?"

Barry shook his head "No, but I have received a note from the Ambassador requesting that we both attend him at Sanq Hall. Immediately."

Heero was puzzled. "He requests me too? I find that doubtful. Last time I saw Millardo he left me in little doubt as to the fact that I would never be welcome in his home again."

Barry shrugged "Perhaps he has had a change of mind. The note stipulates the presence of the physician attending Miss Peacecraft and Lord Yuy. Are you coming or not?"

Heero was still hesitant.

"Lord Yuy. I am commanded here by the King to attend the Ambassador. So I am going now. I do not care if you come or not, but please make your mind up. Miss Peacecraft will be fine for the next few hours. So long as she rests she is in no danger." Barry turned and walked out the door.

Heero threw the towel down. Quatre was a compassionate man, perhaps he had talked Millardo into accepting Heero again. Heero was curious as to why he had been called, and he certainly had no desire to be in the house when Duo returned from interviewing Miss Schbeiker.

Collecting his hat, he followed Dr Barry.

 

 

 

 

*In real life there was a Dr Robert Barry who served in the navy for nearly forty years as a surgeon and medical officer. It was only when Barry died in the 1860's that Barry was discovered to be a woman.