Seduction

Chapter Three

For the rest of their journey Relena felt disconcerted. How could a pair of eyes disturb her so much. She tried to qualify to herself that her feelings were due to the strangeness of the countryside, her parent's continued silence or maybe her homesickness for China. But if she was honest with herself she would have to admit that her unease was due to that man.

He had stared at her. His eyes so very cold, detached, impossibly blue. She had stared back, but when she realised how attracted she was to him she had felt her cheeks begin to blush and she had averted her gaze. When she had gathered enough nerve to look again she had found that the man and his companion had gone.

Relena had considered asking the little maid serving their table who the gentleman was, but decided against doing so as it would draw more attention to herself and she had had enough of that already. After a hasty meal, and her mother having a small glass of restorative wine, the family had once again boarded the barouche and continued their journey.

Reverend Darlian became more and more animated as they went, pointing out landmarks that he remembered. Even Mrs Darlian started to get excited, she was now sitting next to her husband holding his hand. Wufei allowed himself a rare smile as he listened to the couple reminiscing.

"Look Relena, look!" Mrs Darlian called suddenly making Relena jump. "It is still there ñ look!" They were passing a cluster of small tumble down cottages with a church in its midst. Chickens scattered across the road, and children who were swinging on the gate leading to the church waved. "This is the village in which your father and I were raised" Mrs Darlian explained excitedly "Oh dear, it does look a poor sight now!" On the other side of the village she pointed to a large oak tree that was in the middle of a small field "The tree is still there!" she said happily.

Relena looked at the tree puzzled. It was a spectacular tree, obviously of some advanced age. It's branches twisted and gnarled and it's foliage a wonderful shade of fresh green. Some sheep gathered at its base resting in its shade.

"Your Mama and I courted under that tree. It is the secret place where we used to meet." Explained Reverend Darlian "Our parents did not really approve of our match and we had to be a little devious in how we got to see each other."

Mrs Darlian smiled but held up her hand in warning. "Hush now dear, we do not want to give the child ideas and notions!"

Rev Darlian coughed, pretending to be embarrassed, but winked at his daughter when he supposed Mrs Darlian was not looking. "We even carved our initials in that tree." He said "Mrs Darlian, when you are feeling better perhaps we could visit it?"

Mrs Darlian nodded, her attention once more captured by the passing scenery. The narrow lane in which they were travelling had gradually become wider and Relena realised they were entering a larger town.

"Relena, Wufei!" Rev Darlian announced "We have arrived! Here is the town of our new living but only a couple of miles from the place where your mother and I started. We have truly gone full circle."

Relena paid greater attention to the little market town. Terraced shops lined the road. She saw a butcher shop with carcasses of sheep and lambs hanging on hooks outside the window, a shop with a large sign proclaiming "Albian Stores" which listed its departments as grocery, drapery, outfitting, furniture and hardware. Relena raised an eyebrow as in small letters she also read "Undertaker, Funerals Furnished Throughout". Further up was a fishmonger, a dealer in game (with assorted poultry hanging outside to ripe in the summer breeze), a bakery which advertised home delivery, a post office and any number of taverns.

At the top of the hill the road turned sharply to the left and an old church set back from the road now captured Relena's attention. It was a smallish stone church that appeared to have been extended at least once, the chancel's stonework looked new and the slate roof was slightly lower than the main building. At the other end of the church was a square tower, topped by a high pointed steeple which contained a large clock. A low stone wall bordered the boundary between church ground and road. Within the boundaries of the church lawn and, seemingly placed in random haphazard fashion, were gravestones. The carriage turned sharply again off the main road and down a little lane that led past the church towards a white washed and thatched cottage.

It was a picturesque cottage, a white climbing rose ambled its way over the door, looking as if it had only just started to flower. The rest of the front garden appeared to be a riot of colours: purples, pinks, reds, whites and yellows and wonderfully fragrant herb smells wafted through the air. As the carriage stopped Relena was the first to disembark, eager to see her new home.

"Oh, this is lovely!" she exclaimed, turning to help her mother out.

At the front door of the cottage stood a plump older woman, her greying hair caught up in a knot with wiry wisps escaping. She wore dark clothes, but her apron and cap in stark contrast were gleaming white. She bobbed a curtsy as the Minister approached her.

"Mary?" Rev Darlian asked.

"Yes sir." She bobbed again "Welcome to the Rectory." She smiled and gestured to the door behind her "Do come in sir, you and your lady must be exhausted."

Mrs Darlian nodded and allowed herself to be guided into the cosy home by her husband. Wufei and Relena remained in the garden, breathing in the scented air and stretching cramped limbs. They watched as their driver unloaded their cases from the back of the carriage.

"Do you feel how odd it is. I keep looking for the sea and do not see it. I always used the sea as an anchor. When I could see it I knew where I was and which direction I should go. Without it I feel oddly unsettled." Relena said feeling the need to break the comfortable silence and Wufei nodded in agreement.

Unconsciously they had both started walking towards the church, arm in arm. It was, by now, late afternoon. The sun was lowering and clouds were scuttling across the sky. As they walked up the lane to the church they became aware of a smart curricle* approaching drawn by two fine white horses. Its hood was folded down and a young gentleman drove it with a lady sitting at his side. The man had long blonde hair, falling to his shoulders. On his head he wore a top hat which he at intervals held on to, Relena supposed to stop it being blown away. His lady was dark, her hair caught up in an elegant turban of a material which matched her blue dress. She word a short pelisse of plain cream coloured fabric and around her shoulders there hung a light paisley shawl.

As they came closer the gentleman pulled back on the reins to slow the curricle. He was staring at Relena, as was his lady. Relena inclined her head politely as her mother had instructed her to do, expecting that the curricle would pick up speed and be on its way. It was with some trepidation that she noted that it had come to a complete halt.

The gentleman driving jumped down, still regarding Relena closely. Relena a little nervous around the stranger held more tightly to Wufei's arm. Wufei stood his ground and stared back at the man who suddenly seemed to remember his manners. He removed his black hat holding it to chest and Relena was surprised to see it lined with a wonderful red satin fabric.

"Forgive me." He said " I did not mean to startle you, but I was keen to make your acquaintance."

Relena blinked, unsure of the correct social etiquette, but fairly certain that a gentleman did not introduce himself to a lady but should wait for an introduction via a third party.

"Millardo" the woman in the curricle scolded "You are frightening her!"

"Oh!" exclaimed Relena, noting the name and realising just whom this man was "Please excuse me, but are you the Marquis of Zechs?"

"Millardo Peacecraft" Millardo bowed deeply, but did not remove his eyes from hers.

"My parents are in the Rectory, but please let me introduce myself. I am Relena Darlian, and this" she indicated to Wufei "is my dear brother Chang Wufei."

Millardo frowned and looked at the Chinese man. Wufei glared back sensing Millardo's disapproval. Their staring competition was interrupted by a call from behind them and they turned to see the Reverend Darlian hurrying up the road.

"Millardo! Millardo, my boy!" he exclaimed as he came closer "How good it is to see you! Why, I would have known you anywhere." He had by now reached Millardo and pulled him in to a tight embrace "My you have grown, my lad ñ just look at your hair! Can you not afford a hair cut?" The Reverend paused as he saw Wufei's angry and Relena's puzzled expressions. He turned quickly to Millardo who slightly shook his head before turning to help his wife down from the curricle.

"May I present to you my wife Lucrezia, Marchioness of Zechs."

Relena curtsied, but her attention was now more with her father. She had noted the by-play between Millardo and her father and she was curious to know what it meant. Lucrezia took her by the hand.

"My dear, I have been so much looking forward to meeting you." Lucrezia bent down and kissed Relena on the cheek. Relena pulled back from Lucrezia's embrace, a little started and embarrassed by the custom. Lucrezia, if she noticed, did not comment but put her arm through Relena's. "Come, let us go and meet your dear Mama."

Lucrezia started walking her up the lane to the house asking her questions about the voyage. Relena absently replied unable to rid herself of the ever-present feeling of foreboding. She looked over her shoulder to see Millardo talking to her father and her father reluctantly nodding. Relena looked back at Lucrezia to find her staring at her, eyebrows raised questioning.

"Oh, I am sorry!" Relena said politely "What did you say?"

"Nothing important." Lucrezia smiled. They were at the door of the house now and Lucrezia opened it and strode in with the confidence of one who had visited the house before. Relena was a little less certain, she had never entered this building. As she stepped over the threshold her first impression was one of warmth. The front hallway, though small, was neat and clean. The floorboards were polished, the walls half lined with age darkened wood, the plaster above painted creamy white. Mary came through a door and bobbed a very formal curtsy when she saw Lucrezia.

"Mary, can you please direct me to the room my mother is in, we have a visitor who is eager to make her acquaintance." Relena explained.

"Yes Miss." Mary replied, turning to the door that she had just come through. "In here Miss." Relena smiled her thanks and led the way through to the room beyond.

This room was also bright. The slightly faded crimson velvet curtains pulled back so it's large bay windows captured the late afternoon sun. It was spacious, but filled to almost overflowing with furniture. Chairs were scattered around, some with arms, some without, but all upholstered in the same pattern of needlework flowers. In addition to the chairs were a variety of stools and footstools, also decorated flowers that some lady obviously enjoyed sewing. In amongst the chairs were two large tables bedecked with heavy velvet tablecloths that matched the curtains and over in a corner were a small pianoforte and a music stand. On the floor was a carpet that indicated that the furnisher of the room was a person of some wealth. There was a fireplace opposite the bay windows which, despite it being a warm summer's day, was lit. Mrs Darlian was lying back on a settee, her feet up and covered with a large shawl, near to the fire enjoying the additional warmth it provided. Her head was propped up with cushions and Relena was happy to see that colour had returned to her cheeks. She looked much better.

"Mother, we have guests." Relena said, "The Marquise and Marchioness of Zechs have come to call."

"No, no, do not get up." Lucrezia hurriedly exclaimed at Mrs Darlian made to rise "I do not want to interrupt your rest, but Millardo was so keen to come and see you. I just could not dissuade him."

"Oh, is Millardo here?" Mrs Darlian smiled. "I have been looking forward so much to seeing him again."

"Yes Mrs Darlian, I am here." Millardo had just entered the room with Rev Darlian and Wufei. He bent down to the reclining woman, lifted her hand and kissed it. "It is truly wonderful to see you again after so many years."

Lucrezia had sat herself down on one of the many seats; her back straight, hands clasped on her lap. Millardo pulled another chair up beside Lucrezia for Relena to sit at. Relena smiled her thanks, but her smile soon faded as she saw the serious look on her father and mothers face. As Wufei came to stand behind her, Relena suddenly felt as if she was once again a little girl, an outsider. Wufei was once again her big brother, her bodyguard, and her protector. Wufei placed his hand on her shoulder.

"Tang ju!" he murmured. "Hai ho gun yu.**"

"What is important?" Relena questioned, and then with growing disbelief she listened to her father tell her of her history. At the end of his story she stood quietly and walked to the door. There she turned to Millardo and Lucrezia and quietly but firmly asked them to leave, as she wanted to talk in private to her family. The Marquise and Marchioness of Zechs did as they were bade, and walked to their curricle. Millardo helped his wife into the carriage and turned to Relena.

"Relena, you are my sister. Apart from Aunt Darlian you are the only blood relative I have left in this world. I would very much like for you to come and live with us. You are now a woman of large fortune and need to have someone to guide you. Lucrezia and I will be able to introduce you to many people of high society and Lucrezia can chaperone you when you come out. Please come and live with us so that we can get to know each other again." He said, then without waiting for a reply he left.

Relena hesitated a moment more on the door step before entering the house again. With a fit of peak she slammed the door so loudly that she thought the plasterwork was going to crack. Immediately Wufei was at her side leading her to the drawing room to sit her in front of the fire. Mr Darlian said nothing but regarded his niece with some concern.

Wufei looked at Relena sternly until finally Relena spoke, her head lowered respectfully "Dui pu qi***

Mr Darlian shook his head "No, my dear. Do not apologise to me. It is I that should be apologising to you." He sighed and sat in the chair next to hers "It was always our intention to tell you your true parentage. It was wrong that we did not sooner, but we came to regard you as our daughter and did not want to hurt you. We lost contact with your father and Millardo after we went to China and chose to forget that we should at some point return to England.

"Millardo knew about you, of course. He was there when you were born. I remember him calling you his little princess sister. And when your mother and I took you in he swore an oath then and there in front of us that he would some day have you back as his sister." Mr Darlian reached out a hand and held Relena's "He is trying to fulfil a promise he made to your mother ñ your natural mother."

"I do not want to leave you." Relena said quietly. "You are my father."

"No my dear, that is not true." Mrs Darlian said from the couch. "He is not your father, nor is Wufei your brother. Millardo is. Relena dear, you must be aware that my health is not as it once was." Mrs Darlian paused, as Relena nodded "You may not be aware that my condition is quite serious, it is not an illness that I will recover from."

Relena had crossed the room to where Mrs Darlian was lying and knelt beside her, concern and anguish in her face. Mrs Darlian stroked Relena's hair like she used to when Relena was upset as a child. "When I am gone you cannot remain in this house with a young man who is not related to you ñ no, Relena, you can not! You may consider Wufei your brother. Morally perhaps he is, but legally he is not. Society would frown upon it and if you will not consider what it would do to your status, please then consider what it would do to Wufei's potential career in the church."

Relena lowered her head into her mother's lap indicating her submission.

 

* * * *

 

Later that evening Relena walked very quickly along the footpath that ran along side the river Ooze, her leather slippers becoming muddy from the puddles that she was not trying to avoid. It was dusk and the colours had faded from greens to greys as the sun began to set and a mist was beginning to rise from the river.

After having tea Relena told her parents that she intended to walk down to the little river, as she was still stiff from being confined in a carriage for so long. The reality was that she needed some time alone to absorb all that she had been told and her family knew this. Wufei understood what she needed and made a token offer to accompany her. When she declined he did not insist.

Relena stopped walking and sat down amongst the long grasses on the bank of the river ignoring the damp that immediately made her skirts feel chilled. The bank dropped down to the river sharply and Relena guessed that the river itself was tidal as she could see a high water mark where the water had discarded its debris. As she sat listening to its soothing sounds, she watched the mist start to rise more thickly, wrapping around her and reducing her visibility. She closed her eyes considering what she was to do and what her future held.

In reality there was no choice, Mrs Darlian had made that quite clear. She wanted Relena to be settled with Millardo before her illness ended and Relena was an obedient daughter. She would do as Mrs Darlian requested, no matter how hard it was and how much she disliked doing so. And Relena could not jeopardise Wufei's standing in the community. He did not have the good fortune of riches and had to work for his living. Perhaps one day he would even wed. Relena did not want the hint of scandal to scare off any pretty young thing that Wufei decided would be his life partner. Relena opened her eyes, lying back on the damp grass, her eyes on the moon that had just risen. It was low on the horizon, round and bright as silver.

Silver... gold.... wealth. She was a rich woman, which was something to consider too. She had never had much money to spend on herself before, a missionary's life was a poor one. She now had money to spend on luxuries for herself and her family. Relena thought of gifts that she could bestow on her family now ñ her mother could have a fine cashmere shawl such as the ones she had admired in Maccau, worn by the rich wives of the Portuguese merchants. Her father needed a new pocket watch, his old one's glass had cracked when he had absentmindedly dropped it on the stone floor of his old church and it had never kept good time since. Wufei admired calligraphy, perhaps she could find something for him like that, or a fine new suit in which to give sermons to the people of this little town.

Her eyes closed as she dreamily considered all she could do with wealth that she had never before even dreamed about. As she rested her head upon the grass she became aware of a regular drumming noise of horse's hoofs coming closer. Startled into wakefulness Relena stood quickly up, a little disorientated by the dimness of the moonlight and the mist.

Unfortunately the horse that had been cantering down the path was also startled by Relena's sudden movement and reared in fright, it's hoofs pawing at the air, eyes rolling to show the whites. The rider made an exclamation and fell from the horses back, and the horse trotted off down the path for a few meters before slowing to a walk and snuffing the air.

Relena was horrified. She had caused this accident by her own stupidity. She rushed to the motionless figure that lay on the path. Kneeling beside him she pulled away the hat that was obscuring her sight of the man. Even though night was almost upon them, she could still see it was a young dark haired man that looked strangely familiar.

"Sir, do not move!" She said as he started to stir, "You could be hurt!" she looked around considering the quickest was to find help.

The man's eyes opened. Relena stopped breathing for the second time in one day. Beautiful Prussian blue eyes almost glowing in the twilight. He sat up quickly.

"Did you see.....?" he demanded, pulling his hat from her hands and looking around noting where his horse was, but seemingly searching for something else.

"I am sorry, it was my fault your horse reared. I must have frightened it by moving suddenly." Relena said as she watched the man stand. He moved towards the horse murmuring to it to calm it, then captured it by grasping hold of the reigns. He patted the horse's neck, rubbing his hand down the length of the horse inspecting for damage. Satisfied, he mounted the horse he glanced back at her.

"Are you a complete incompetent around horses?!" He demanded angrily. He was now too far away for Relena to make out his features. She made no reply but got up from her knees slowly. The man suddenly spurred his horse and galloped off in the direction he was originally travelling in.

When she could no longer see him but could hear the hoofs echoing off the mist, she held out her hand palm up. "My name is Relena Darlian. And you are....?"

"Hilde Schbeiker...." Came a voice from behind her.

Relena jumped and turned around to see another person on the path. This was a young woman, warmly wrapped in a woollen pelisse, brightly coloured shawl over her shoulders, straw bonnet firmly over her curling dark hair, wicker basket on one arm, lantern held high with the other.

"I beg your pardon?" Relena asked

"My name is Hilde Schbeiker. You were very lucky, Miss! That horses hoof could have killed you. Why on earth did you leap up like that?" Hilde asked

"Oh....." Relena looked embarrassed "I am afraid I was startled from a daydream. I got to my feet before I thought of what could happen."

"Well, you certainly frightened the life out of that poor horse, and its rider I dare say. In that grey you look like a ghost." Hilde reached out a hand and poked Relena "Well, you look solid enough to me. Do you need help?"

"I do not think so." Relena said, rubbing her arm where Hilde had thrust her finger "I just need to get back to the Rectory."

"The Rectory!" Hilde exclaimed, "Oh, you must be the vicar's niece, Miss Peacecraft! I heard that you were all arriving today. Tell me, is it true that the curate is Chinese? I have never seen a Chinese man before."

"Yes." Relena frowned indignantly "Wait, how do you know that I am the niece of the vicar and not his daughter. I only found that out myself but an hour ago."

Hilde smiled sympathetically and lowered her lantern to the ground along with her basket. She took off her shawl and wrapped it around Relena's shoulders. Relena realised that she was shivering from the cold

"My dear, this is a small town. Small towns are filled with gossips." She picked up the basket and lantern "I can take you back to the rectory, or to my fathers farm where you could warm up. Which would you prefer."

"Please, I do not want to put you to any trouble." Relena said politely "I can manage quite well on my own."

"It is no trouble, and I will not hear of you walking around the country side without a light." Hilde started walking slowly "Come I shall take you back to your aunt and uncle. This light should warn away all strange horsemen." She grinned as Relena blushed.

"Do you know who that was?" Relena asked shyly as they walked along. Hilde shook her head.

"No, I do not believe I have seen him before." She replied "But, there has been a sudden influx of gentlemen to the town and surrounding houses. The gossips say it has something to do with a very eligible young lady come to live here." Relena stopped walking in her surprise, but as Hilde did not pause she soon had to trot to catch the young woman up.

"Your father has a farm?" Relena asked, attempting to change the subject that had become an embarrassment to her.

"Yes!" Hilde said "It is not a large holding, but big enough to keep my father and sisters occupied." Hilde went on to describe how she helped. There seemed to be much to keep her occupied. Laundry day was on Thursdays, which needed the labour of all the Schbeiker girls and the maids. Linen had to be boiled in a large copper tub, wrung till it was damp not wet then hung in the sun to bleach white. Then there was the making of butter in the dairy, carding and spinning wool and harvesting wheat in autumn. Relena was so engrossed in Hilde's descriptions that before she knew it they were back at the Rectory.

"Do please come in and meet my parents." Relena asked, but Hilde shook her head.

"I do not think that I would be truly welcome tonight." She said. "But I shall see you at church tomorrow and perhaps you can introduce me to your fine oriental brother then!"

 

* * * *

 

The Sunday after the revelation had been a bright summer's day and Reverend Darlian had happily trotted off to the church early in the morning to prepare for the sermon, a quiet Wufei in his wake. Relena and Mrs Darlian had walked slowly there a little later and had settled themselves in the pew that was assigned to the Vicar's family. Millardo and Lucrezia arrived fashionably late and resplendent in their Sunday finery. They swept down the isle to their own family pew right at the front of the church. This pew had been padded in velvet upholstery unlike the bare uncomfortable boards that Relena sat on. Relena saw that Hilde and her family sat near to the back of the Church along with the other villagers. The order in which one sat seemed to indicate the occupiers' social status ñ the rich to the front, the poor to the back.

It was a full house, everyone was attending curious to see the new vicar and more especially his exotic curate. It was so full that the poorest people had to stand at the back. During the service Relena tried to discretely look around the church hoping for a glimpse of her mysterious young man. When she could not find him she supposed that perhaps he had just been passing through the village. After all, the village was situated on a busy road and the inn was also sited on a major route.

 

The sermon went well and the initial stares and consternation at Wufei's features faded as it became clear that Wufei was not going to suddenly rampage his way around the church. When he spoke he did so with an English accent. Relena could almost hear the collective sighs of a disappointed crowd. After the service Relena introduced Hilde to her family and to Lucrezia and Millardo. Rev and Mrs Darlian were warm to Hilde, but Millardo and Lucrezia were a little stilted. Relena realised that she may have made a blunder but she truly regarded Hilde with affection and was not going to let her brothers' prejudices affect her.

After the congregation had dispersed Relena told her brother and sister in law that she would come and stay with them for a little while, but only on the proviso that she had leave to return to her adopted mother and father if they had need for her. Both Millardo and Lucrezia were enthusiastic in their eagerness to take her there and then, but Relena had begged to be allowed to remain with her old family for a couple of days more. Millardo and the Darlians agreed and arrangements were made for Relena to be collected on the following Wednesday.

Those couple of days went all too quickly and when Wednesday arrived Relena tried to delay her relocation yet again. However, Mrs Darlian was adamant that Relena should go and that Mrs Darlian did not need her. When Relena tried to argue she was reprimanded by Wufei who told her to be an obedient daughter and do as she was bade.

And so it was with a heavy heart that she left the people that she had always considered her family and started a new life.

 

 

 

 

* The nineteenth century equivalent of a 21st century soft top sports car.

** Listen! It's important! (Many thanks to ~Sailor Celaeno~ for kindly providing me the Cantonese phrases).