Seduction

Chapter 4

Millardo and Lucrezia's home was called Sanq Hall, a beautiful old mansion that had once been a Priory. It had an interesting history. Having been appropriated by the crown during the reign of Henry the fifth, it was then given to a peer who had been loyal to the King supporting his divorce from Catherine of Aragorn. It had remained in the same family until the Restoration when King Charles reclaimed it; it's owner had failed to support the banished King and had been executed for treason. It had then remained property of the Crown, quietly slipping into disrepair, until Millardo had come into favour with the present King George. It had been gifted to Millardo as part of his peerage, entailed to be passed on after Millardo's death to his eldest surviving male relative.

Many repairs needed to be done on the property which had been unlived in, apart from servants, for so long. However, Millardo had been taken with the building; its ruined cloistered courtyard garden that was so peaceful, its dark carved woodwork and its history. Its previous owners had performed many alterations, but the exterior still retained a wonderful Tudor quality that Millardo was determined not to change.

 

Millardo had decided only to alter its interior. The entrance hall had been enhanced with the addition of black and white marble tiled flooring, which immediately lightened the hall. He also added a series of marble columns to draw they eye down to the inner hall. The inner hall's main feature was a large ornately carved alabaster fireplace, which was flanked by two arched recesses. These recesses housed white marble sculptures that Millardo had imported from Greece. The overall effect was like walking into a Greek temple. The main staircase was also a feature of the inner hall, it's wrought iron banister making the wide sweeping steps seem to float up to the first floor.

 

However, the room that Millardo was putting most of his efforts into was the largest room in the house: the ballroom. He had put much thought into what he wanted to achieve and had eventually instructed a master plasterer to come in and decorate the high ceiling with sculptured wreathes of flowers, entwined leaves, and reclined figures holding lyres and flutes. An impressive two-tiered marble fireplace was installed and window seats fitted so that there would be adequate seating for those dancers who wished to rest. Millardo had decided have one long wall decorated with a mural that would immortalise himself and his family, capturing life as he loved it. This too was near completion; the artist commissioned for the task lived in the parish and, being relatively unknown, his fees were reasonable.

 

Millardo was very satisfied with the artistry, the vista was still incomplete but beautiful none the less. An elegant sweeping garden was depicted so life like that it looked upon entering that the room was open to the elements. The painter had painted a balcony on which he placed portraits of Millardo and Lucrezia. Millardo wore his bright scarlet military uniform and cradled a rifle in one arm, his free hand pointing to a brace of dead grouse that he had apparently shot. Lucrezia stood demurely beside him, her eyes looking up at his face, her lips slightly raised into a smile.

When Relena first entered this room she had thought that her brother and sister in law were standing there and had attempted to speak to them. Then she had noted the scaffolding further along the wall and wondered at the beauty of the illusion. Millardo had wanted Relena portrayed as well, but before the portrait could be begun Lucrezia insisted on new clothes being obtained for the young woman.

Lucrezia had been taken aback that all of Relena's clothes had been so old fashioned. She had immediately sent for a seamstress and Relena's measurements were taken. Patterns were produced together with swatches of fabric, and references were made to the excellent magazine "The Ladies' Monthly Museum, or Polite Repository of Amusement and Instruction" for the most up to date fashions as worn in London. Relena began to feel quite dazed at the number of garments that were required: morning dresses, walking dresses, promenade dresses, carriage dresses, afternoon dresses, dinner dresses, opera dresses, evening dresses, ball dresses. Then there were wraps, spencers, pelisses, shawls, caps, bonnets, turbans and footwear. Finally, and to Relena's everlasting embarrassment, underclothes were ordered: chemises, petticoats, drawers, stockings, garters and corsets.

Finally, a few days later when the first delivery of clothes was made and Lucrezia was satisfied with Relena's state of hair and dress, she escorted Relena to the ballroom and the portrait was begun. Relena found it hard to keep still and received continual reproving glances from the painter, his hair falling over to obscure one eye so that only one green orb was visible.

"How did you become a painter?" Relena asked the silence becoming too unbearable for her.

"I was apprenticed." came the quiet reply. Nothing more was forthcoming.

Lucrezia smiled at Relena's irritation from her window seat "Mr Barton likes quiet whilst he works, I doubt you will get much more information from him. Besides, he has to work very quickly to complete this mural in time for the ball."

Relena turned her head to Lucrezia "Ball?" she asked, before catching Trowa's exasperated stare and returning her head to the correct position.

"Yes, Millardo has decided he would like to give a ball upon his return from London. It is to honour both you and a visitor we are about to receive: an ambassador from Arabia. I believe his name is Mr Quatre Rababa Winner, or is it Winner Rababa. Oh, I cannot remember but it makes no difference now. The King has requested that we house him so that he may enjoy the pleasures of the English countryside. I believe the gentleman has been in London for a few months and tires of the crowds.

Relena smiled, it would be interesting to meet someone from a different country. Maccau had been such a multicultural society with trading ships coming to port from all over the world. Here in Sussex it was only the English and she felt it sometimes a little dull. Relena tried to remember Arabic greetings, her brow frowning as she tried to recall the words. A clatter of a brush being dropped bought her back to the present.

"You are distracted." Trowa said cleaning his brush "We will continue later."

Relena immediately apologised but got no response, as Mr Barton was intent on his brushes. She looked at the outline of herself on the wall. It certainly resembled her, but was only a rough representation at present. She wandered along the wall looking at the illustrations of people walking and working in the garden. Faces looked familiar and Relena realised that Trowa had depicted local villagers in his painting. Relena found one that she knew well, Hilde was depicted picking apples in an orchard with a red haired girl that Relena did not recognise. Relena turned to ask Trowa who the girl was but found he had gone. Lucrezia was at her side smiling as she looked at the picture.

"Mr Barton has immortalised many of his acquaintances in this picture. I do believe I see your little friend Miss Schbeiker."

Relena nodded "Do you know who that is?" Relena pointed to the figure next to Hilde.

"I may be incorrect but I believe that is Mr Barton's sister: Catherine Bloom." Lucrezia said looking closely.

"Oh" Relena was puzzled by the different names "Is she a half sister?"

"I really do not know." Lucrezia said, taking her arm. "Come, let us get you changed. It is almost time for luncheon and I should like to discuss whom we should invite to the ball. Millardo is due home in only a few more days, his duty at the House of Lords complete. I should like to have all this arranged before he arrives."

 

 

Later that day Relena walked to the Schbeiker farm. Although Lucrezia disapproved of Relena's continued interest in Hilde she did not wish to cause friction between them by deterring the acquaintance, especially as Relena had been so against living with them. Relena understood her sister-in-laws wariness and was not above playing on Lucrezia's feelings to get her own way. Relena saw nothing wrong with her friendship with Hilde. Hilde was a well-behaved daughter of a respectable family who had emigrated from Germany to England hopeful for a better standard of living. They had farmed successfully and the family that was reasonably well off in its own right. Indeed the only difference that Relena could see between her family and Hilde's was that Hilde's family obtained their money through honest labour and did not have a title.

Hilde was churning butter when Relena arrived. A flattering flush was on her face from the effort to crank the handle of the butter churn. A thunking sound from within the wooden churn indicated that the cream had separated and that the butter was ready to be washed and pattered into sticks of butter. As Hilde proceeded to do this Relena perched herself on a stool. Still curious about Trowa and his sister she asked Hilde.

"Have you not seen her in church ñ no? Well I suppose she does keep to herself." Hilde smiled "Yes I am acquainted with Miss Bloom. She is a very kind young lady. And if you are interested, which I would guess you are, I could suggest that we call on her as soon as I am finished here." Relena nodded her approval and Hilde continued "She and her brother returned to the village about six months ago. He supports her from income from his pictures. It is no secret that he has great hopes that your brother's mural will secure him more commissions from gentry."

"Mr Barton and Miss Bloom have different names, why is that?" Relena asked

"Mr Barton's real name is Triton Bloom. When he was born his father deserted his mother and left her destitute. She was unable to raise him. She applied to the Foundling Hospital* in London for them to take him and was lucky enough to have him accepted. If he had not been accepted he would have gone to the care of the local Parish. I am afraid that a lot of the babies that were put into the care of the Parish back then did live long.

"When he was accepted to the hospital he was given a new name, probably named for one of the governors or someone who made a large donation. When he was of an age he was given an apprenticeship as a painter stainer. Catherine told me that he showed such promise that they altered his apprenticeship and put him under the care of a master portrait artist."

"How is it that he was reunited with his sister?" Relena asked playing with the ribbons of her bonnet. Hilde glanced up with a look of pity that Relena should know so little about such a famous institution.

"The Foundling Hospital always keeps detailed records of the parents of their charges. So when a child is of age and completed its apprenticeship it can seek out its parents if it so wishes. Parents are given detailed receipts for the babies in case they are ever in a position to take charge of them again." Hilde wiped her buttery hands on her apron, surveying her work. She reached for a butter crock to put the patted butter into. "Old Mrs Bloom had died before Trowa returned, but Catherine had found employment as a lady's maid with Lady Helena Kushrinada not far from here on the estate of Coptinghall."

Relena frowned "What made Catherine leave her employment if she was so happy?"

Hilde paused for dramatic effect looking at Relena "The death of the lady. Rumour has it that the lady went mad and was put in an asylum by Lord Treize Kushrinada. And she died whilst interred."

"Rumours...." Relena wrinkled her nose in distaste having been the subject of so many rumours of late and knowing how the villagers thrived on them. Hilde nodded as she finished filling the crock and placed in on the shelf of the pantry, on the cold wall.

"Catherine has never spoken of it" Hilde said "And I would ask as a favour of you not to mention it. It would upset her so. She held her mistress in great affection and was very unhappy to leave her service."

Relena waited out in the cobbled farmyard for Hilde to change from her working clothes to her walking dress. When she reappeared they walked down the road to the shortcut to town which ran along the side of the river. As they walked Relena could not help but look around in hopes of catching sight of her mysterious horseman. Since her second encounter with him she had not seen him again and had come to the conclusion that it had been but coincidence that she had seen him twice. After all, both the inn and the village were on a major trade route.

Miss Catherine Bloom lived with her brother at 43 Abyssinian Cottages, a tiny house in a row of terraced homes that housed the poorer inhabitants of the town. The houses had been built for the parish poor, funded by a donation from an entrepreneur long since dead. The front had but two windows, one for each floor. The front door shared a porch with the next house along, and also shared the path leading up to the house. The door was painted white but needed repainting. A large iron doorknocker adorned it and Hilde raised it and let go. It thumped the door with a resounding bang.

A young woman, who carried herself gracefully, opened the door. Her red hair was swept up from her face and covered with an old-fashioned cap. She was dressed in black with a simple white collar and white apron. She smiled when she saw Hilde at her door and welcomed her into her home. Hilde turned to introduced Relena and Catherine shyly smiled. The front door opened directly onto the parlour that was furnished with a plain oak table and chairs. The only other piece of furniture was a comfortable looking, but battered, chair by the fire. To one side of the room was a flight of bare wooden steps that led to the upper story. The parlour itself was very clean and on the table lay some needlework that Catherine had obviously been working on.

An offer was made of tea and Catherine went to fetch some, disappearing through to the back room to the cellar kitchen. Hilde and Relena settled themselves on the chairs by the table and Relena admired the needlework. An accomplished needlewoman herself, she recognised skill when she saw it.

"My brother mentioned you." Catherine said as she bought through a small pot of tea and cake on a tray.

"I am surprised" Relena said "I should like to say he mentioned you but I am afraid that I have only been able to coax a few words out of him and most of those have been ëplease stand still'!".

Catherine laughed, a pleasant warm sound. "He is quiet, but please believe me he can and does talk. He has mentioned that you find it difficult to sit still for long, but that he is enjoying painting you. He believes you have an interesting face and that is an enormous compliment from Triton."

Relena and Hilde accepted cups of tea and politely sipped them.

"I have been telling Miss Peacecraft how your brother obtained his apprenticeship." Hilde said.

"Mama was very fortunate to have Triton accepted by the Foundling Hospital." Catherine sighed "She would have been very proud of what he has achieved. Mama was an educated woman for all her reduced means. She wanted Triton to have a good education, and that is what he got."

"His skill in capturing the essence of a person is remarkable." Relena agreed.

"Yes, but he did not get that by his apprenticeship. His apprenticeship taught him the techniques needed to paint, but he learnt his skill of observation elsewhere." Catherine said smiling "After Triton completed his time he decided to travel. He had lived in London for most of his life and he desired to see more. He wanted to experience more of life as he believed, and still does, that you cannot paint life unless you have experienced it. How can you capture a persons soul on canvas unless you understand what emotions make up that person."

"What did he do?" Relena asked curious "Did he travel abroad?"

"Oh no!" Catherine laughed "He cannot travel over water, he gets an illness in the stomach." She paused considering Relena, deciding whether to elaborate. She finally smiled and gave out Trowa's secret. "He joined a travelling freak show as a clown."

Relena almost dropped her teacup that she had just raised from its saucer. Hilde coughed on a mouthful she had just taken and sounded as though she was choking. Catherine looked concerned, immediately frightened that she had jeopardised her brother's career. Relena touched her arm in reassurance.

"Catherine, please do tell me more." She said "I apologise for my reaction but you took me completely unawares. Mr Barton was a clown?"

"Yes, Miss Peacecraft. He told me that he learnt a lot about human nature from watching people's reaction to the poor unfortunates who were cast as freaks." Catherine said.

"I have never seen such a thing." Hilde interrupted "What were the exhibits like?"

"I never saw, but Triton told me of some of the people. There was an albino black slave, a lady who had not the use of her arms and used her toes as we would use our fingers, a man who had no arms but hands where his shoulders were and some tiny people ñ perfectly formed and grown up but as small as a child." Catherine started relating "There was a man who was covered with quills, like a hedgehog. There was a woman who had a beard as thick as any man's and a ëMan-Tiger' from Bengall. There was a centaur called Mr Manpferdit" Catherine smiled "It was the centaur that caused the downfall and dispersal of the circus."

"How so?" Relena asked.

"The crowd discovered that the centaur was actually a man attached to the stuffed rear of a horse**. They rioted and demanded their money back." Catherine explained with a smile on her face. Relena and Hilde laughed. "It was around that time that I wrote Triton to tell him that my employment had ended." She looked sad now "Triton returned to this Parish to provide for me. He said that he was about to anyway as he had learnt a good deal more about human nature than he had intended to."

Relena considered Catherine in her poor accommodation reliant on her brother for both income and shelter. She liked Catherine, she seemed an honest charming girl.

"Catherine, please do not be offended." Relena said impulsively, placing her cup down upon the table "Hilde has told me that you were a lady's maid. You are probably aware that I am recently come into some money and am living with the Marquis and Marchioness of Zechs. Because of my new station I have been sharing my sister-in-laws maid and running the poor girl quite off her feet. Lucrezia has talked about getting another maid for me and I should like to offer you the position. I have no idea how much is paid for such employment, but I promise that I will pay whatever is right and fair."

"Miss Peacecraft." Catherine flushed "I am afraid that I can offer you no references from my previous position. My lady died and the master did not provide me with any."

"I understand." Relena smiled "But I do not think that ought to be a deterrent. I do not wish to push you, if you need time to consult with your brother-"

"No, Miss Peacecraft!" Catherine was smiling broadly "I do not need to consult. I would be delighted to accept your offer, truly I would".

 

* * * *

Relena informed Lucrezia of her decision to employ Catherine over tea. It was a quiet affair with Millardo still away and Lucrezia was already a little distracted with her plans for the ball.

"Do you think it wise, dear? If she has no references can she be trusted?" Lucrezia raised an eyebrow in concern. "I know Lord Kushrinada, but his wife died before I married Millardo so I never made her acquaintance. I am quite surprised that Catherine has none at all. Perhaps you should wait for Millardo to return before you take her on."

Relena put down her knife and fork "Are you saying I need my brother's permission to employ Catherine? I thought that I had control over my money."

"Yes, you do dear. But surely you will be guided by your brother's wishes. You know absolutely nothing about this girl."

"I know that she is held in high regard by Miss Schbeiker." Relena chose to ignore Lucrezia's look of disdain. "And she is sister to a person who holds a commission from my brother. Mr Barton has been deemed trustworthy enough to invite into your home, why not his sister?"

Lucrezia considered arguing the point, but decided that this headstrong young lady might have to learn from her own mistakes.

"Very well." Lucrezia conceded "I will inform the house keeper to make arrangements for a room for Catherine."

Relena smiled her thanks, happy in her first success of the evening. She now embarked on her second task. "Lucrezia, I have someone that I wish to receive an invitation to the ball." Lucrezia blinked, knowing what was coming. "I should like to ask Miss Schbeiker."

"Oh, my dear." Lucrezia protested "This is not to be a farm dance, it is to be a formal ball! We will be hosting peers of the realm and ambassadors. I think that however high you hold Miss Schbeiker in your regard she will just be out of place."

"As out of place as the daughter of a vicar." Relena said quietly "Please Lucrezia, I know I am being selfish but I am going to feel so out of place that I should like to have at least one friend to talk to."

Lucrezia looked hurt "I thought I was your friend." Relena made no reply. "Does Miss Schbeiker have a gown that is suitable?"

Relena smiled "It is her birthday shortly and I thought I should make her an early gift of a gown!"

"A generous gift." Lucrezia sighed "Very well, I shall add her name to the list. But now that I have agreed to two of your request, you must agree to one of mine. We have been receiving cards from callers anxious to make your acquaintance. Until now I have been making excuses on your behalf as you had no clothes suitable to receive people of distinction in. Now you are suitably attired I should like you to make yourself available tomorrow. Now Relena, do not pout! It is neither flattering nor fitting. I am expecting two of the most persistent tomorrow. We have already spoken of Lord Trieze Kushrinada ñ he owns much property near to here and is a good friend to Millardo. You already know that his wife died recently, please do not raise this with him. It is a sensitive matter as the poor woman went made before she died.

"The second gentlemen has taken the lease of a property here for a little while. His name is Lord Heero Yuy, he served with your brother in France. I have only met him on a couple of occasions so do not know him well, although your brother reports him to be an excellent soldier." Relena wrinkled her nose in distaste, she had no love for things military. Lucrezia continued "It is interesting, Yuy's sister was Kushrinada's wife. Perhaps we should be wary of Yuy, it may be that insanity is a family trait."

 

 

The next morning Relena rose late and allowed herself to be administered to by the attentions of Lucrezia's maid, dressing in a plain muslin morning dress that was coloured a very pale blue with sprigs of leaves self woven into the fabric and the neckline was high and demur. Her hair was done plainly too, the only ornamentation was two small sections of hair plaited and entwined around the bun at the top of her head.

Catherine had been informed of Lucrezia's approval and was to arrive later that day. Relena had not seen Trowa so did not know his reaction to Relena taking his only sister from him. Relena hoped that Trowa was not upset, she was vain enough to realise that an upset artist could easily paint her in an unflattering light.

Suitably attired, Relena went down for a late breakfast. Lucrezia had already eaten and was away in her writing room starting on a menu for the ball. Relena helped herself to baked eggs from a dish suspended over warming candles and settled herself down to eat in solitude.

After finishing she refrained from going for a walk, as was her habit. She had agreed to Lucrezia's request that she be available for callers, so settled herself down with some fabric and silk threads that Lucrezia had provided for her amusement. Relena started to embroider. She had learnt her needlework skills from Mrs Darlian and was able to sew very fine work. Whilst living with the had made most of Wufei's and the Reverend's linen shirts. However, the occupation of needlework that was purely for decorative purposes was a little strange to her. She soon found herself enjoying using the different colours and the way the expensive threads almost flowed through the material as she embroidered a deep red rose in satin stitch

So engrossed was she in her work that she was startled when Lucrezia came through quickly into the room.

"My dear, please put your sewing away." Lucrezia looked at Relena critically, made her stand and brushed off some stray red threads that clung to her blue dress. She then reached out and pinched Relena's pale cheeks to bring some colour to them. Relena pulled away, her hand going to her face to rub her injured cheek.

"Lucrezia!" she protested

"We have a visitor, please sit yourself down. Remember correct posture is important. Please do not embarrass me by slouching. Good, good! You will do!" Lucrezia sat herself down in another chair allowing a seat between Relena and Lucrezia, presumably for the guest. Lucrezia nodded at the door through which Relena could not see, but she correctly assumed that the nod was directed at Peygan the butler. Soon he was visible in the door and announced in his deep tones: "Lord Heero Yuy!"

Relena forced a smile on her face and looked at the gentleman entering the room. He was holding his hat, gloves and riding whip out to Peygan. Relena's smile faded and her breathing felt constricted. It was him! The man in the tavern: the rider. He was here now to see her, and had been calling for a number of days to see her. All this time whilst she had been out walking hoping to catch a glimpse of him.

Lord Yuy presented himself to Lucrezia, taking her hand he bowed over it and kiss the back of it.

"Marchioness Zechs!" he said "Thank you for receiving me."

Lucrezia smiled up at him "Lord Yuy, may I present my sister in law, Miss Relena Peacecraft."

Heero turned to regard Relena for the first time. His beautiful eyes regarded her closely and Relena felt a sudden empathy for animals at the end of a hunter's gun. His eyes were hunter's eyes and she was his prey, too scared to do anything but stare at him. He reached down and claimed her hand. He slowly raised it to his lips. "It is a pleasure." He murmured brushing the back of her hand against his mouth.

Relena swallowed as tingles of pleasure ran up her arm and connected with her spine to jolt down her back to the centre of her body where it swirled making her feel flushed.

"Lord Yuy." Relena almost stuttered. Heero held her hand for a moment more before releasing it and raising his head again. He sat between the two ladies whilst Lucrezia instructed Peygan to bring tea and hot chocolate. Relena sat trying to look at Heero's profile through demurely lowered lashes.

"So, Lord Yuy, what brings you to Sanq Hall?" Lucrezia politely asked once Peygan had left the room.

"I still have a lease on Maresfield Park and needed to check that the dwelling was still in good repair." He said "I am accompanied by my cousin Mr Duo Maxwell who is over from the Americas and is eager to experience the English countryside." Heero explained.

"Yes, it is pretty around here. Miss Peacecraft has been enjoying long walks. Perhaps you can recommend some views?" Lucrezia asked.

"I do not know the area well." Heero replied.

Relena had continued to watch him. He sat straight, and elegant but seemed to be uncomfortable at his present situation, however flawless his manners were. He had not really looked at Relena since entering the room, apart from the initial greeting. There was an awkward pause in the conversation and Lucrezia all but sighed in relief as a liveried footman in powdered wig bought in tea and served it. Heero accepted a dainty cup but declined any of the accompanying cake. Relena watched him bring the cup up to his mouth at take a sip. He then seemed to note that the service was painted in romantic restoration figures; lovers meeting under trees, resting in each others arms, amorously embracing. He put the cup and saucer down quickly and turned to Relena. He paused before speaking, Relena supposed he was thinking of a suitable theme.

"Are you fond of riding Miss Peacecraft?"

Relena's eyes widened. He did not recognise her. All the time she had been sitting next to him she had thought that he knew that they had seen each other on two previous occasions. She had supposed that he had been thinking of her as she had of him. She felt crushing disappointment that she could have been so preoccupied with this man for days and he had not noted her in the least. She could not help herself.

"No Lord Yuy. Apparently I am a complete incompetent around horses." She replied.

Relena heard Lucrezia make a small choking noise, but Relena did not take her eyes from Heero. For an instant she saw puzzlement, then realisation cross his face. But as soon as she had noted this he hid his reaction, and his face was a mask of polite coldness again. He turned to Lucrezia.

"Please do give your brother my best regards." He said standing. Lucrezia stood and held out her hand.

"Of course." She said, "He will be returning from London tomorrow with the Arabian Ambassador. Perhaps you should like to call then?" Heero took her hand and bowed over it.

"I am acquainted with the Ambassador, please give him my compliments." Heero turned to Relena who had remained sitting, and nodded to her. "Miss Peacecraft." He then left the room.

Lucrezia turned to Relena with raised eyebrows. Relena shook her head and stood.

"Please Lucrezia, do not lecture me." Relena said walking to the window that overlooked the front driveway. Heero was walking down the steps where his groom had bought his saddled horse. He took the reins and mounted. As he sat on his horse he turned his head to regard the house as if considering whether to return. He seemed to look directly at Relena, although she was sure he could not see her. Then he suddenly spurred his horse into a canter and took off towards the iron gates. Relena watched as his figure disappeared around the curve in the drive to be hidden by trees.

"Relena?" she turned to see Lucrezia regarding her in puzzlement.

"I am sorry." Relena sighed, trying to smile but unable to do so. The disappointment she felt that his soul had so obviously not been touched as hers had by their previous encounters was overwhelming.

"Oh, goodness!" Lucrezia said looking out the window. Relena turned, hoping to see Heero returning. Coming up the drive was an impressive carriage, shiny, black, and complete with coat of arms depicted on the doors.

"Perhaps it is not a bad thing that Yuy has departed for here is Lord Kushrinada come to visit. Sit yourself down! Peygan!" Lucrezia called out loudly "Please remove this service!" Peygan nodded at the footman who obliged whilst Lucrezia sat Relena down again and considered her closely.

"Please dear, do be polite this time." Lucrezia requested, "Kushrinada is one of your brother's oldest and most important friend." She smiled as Relena nodded her head in agreement.

Soon Peygan was announcing the gentleman in the same serious tones as his previous announcement. Lord Treize Kushrinada was a tall slim man with light brown hair. His most distinctive feature were his eyebrows that gave his face almost an elfin quality. A decidedly handsome man, Relena thought. He walked to Lucrezia and bowed.

"My dear Lucrezia." He said with casual familiarity, his voice warm and cultured. "I have so very much missed seeing you this last week. I trust that you have not been to ill?" Relena raised an eyebrow realising that this deception was the excuse that Lucrezia had been giving out to discourage callers. Treize turned his attention to Relena and, taking her cold hand into his warm one, kissed it. His lips were warm and dry and scarcely touched her. Relena was disappointed that she felt no electricity with his touch.

"I have been very eager to make your acquaintance." He said "And it is a delight to see that reports of your breathtaking beauty have not been exaggerated." Relena felt a blush warm her face "Ah, and modest too!" Treize let her hand go. He turned back to Lucrezia "I understand Zechs is returning from London tomorrow with the young ambassador from Arabia.""

Relena settled down to listen to Lucrezia and Treize talk, watching how he paid close attention to Lucrezia but still involved her in the conversation. A perfect gentlemen, she though comparing his manners to Heero. Treize was much more comfortable in the company of women, but then he was a widower and as such a man with experience of women.

By the time Treize had departed Relena felt completely comfortable with him. His grace and manners were in stark contrast with Heero Yuy's. Lucrezia was very satisfied with the morning of entertainment too, and praised Relena for her behaviour to Lord Kushrinada.

"I do believe he is quite taken with you!" Lucrezia said smiling "I would not be surprised if he considered you to be a perfect match for him. And you could do no better either!"

 

 

 

 

*Established 1741 by Captain Thomas Coran. Originally called Hospital for the Maintenance and Education for Exposed and Deserted Children (you can see why it was shortened). Babies were sent to the country to wet nurses, then returned to the hospital for education when they were three. Children were vaccinated against smallpox and entered into apprenticeships at around age 12.

**True story! There was a sailor who advertised himself in the paper as a centaur who was available to come to people's homes and converse with them! Regrettably it did occur nearly 80 years prior to the setting of this story and I do not know what happened to him when his deception was discovered.