Seduction

Chapter five

Heero had tried to rid himself of his irritation and frustration with a frenzied ride back to Maresfield. He went across country, paying no attention to the dangers of jumping unfamiliar hedgerows and uncaring of livestock and people he startled. By the time he arrived at his house his horse was sweating, its nostrils wide and blowing. Heero handing the reins to his stable boy and gave instructions for the horse to be walked till cool and rubbed down well. With a final pat he turned to the steps of his leased house and saw his cousin Duo regarding him, arms crossed, leaning against one of the pillars that flanked the large door.

"I take it that it did not go well." Duo commented. "Turned away at the door again?"

Heero did not reply, swiftly walking up the steps and through the front door into the hall. Maresfield was a small, pretty residence that his sister Helena had adored. Its faÁade was decorated in napped flint and red brick and the windows were arched in a gothic style. It looked rustic, but Heero had never been concerned with its size or its looks. He had taken a lease on it as it was close to his sister's house. Before her death he had refused to stay in the Kushrinada's dwelling because of his absolute dislike of Treize.

The butler appeared as soon as Heero entered the hall and took his hat, gloves and riding whip. Heero entered his study, flinging the door back behind him, intent on getting away from his cousin. Duo, however, was having none of this and prevented the door from closing on his face with the timely intervention of his foot. He slipped into the room closing the door behind him. He silently watched Heero roughly loosen his necktie and pour himself a glass of brandy from the crystal decanter set on the sideboard. Heero downed the glass in one and poured another. He had not turned towards Duo, but somehow knew he was there.

"My mission has failed." He grated out, turning the glass in his hand watching the crystal catch the light from the sash window.

"Ah.... So you did get to see the lady." Duo shook his head "How can you know you have failed after one meeting? I know you are not the best for conversation and romance, but even you would have to have been trying hard to put the girl off in...." Duo referred to his pocket watch ".... one hour." He snapped the watch case shut and replaced it in his waistcoat pocket.

Heero turned to look at Duo then poured him a glass of brandy. Heero held it out silently to Duo, who accepted. Heero then sat down on the chair leather swivel chair behind his desk. Duo sat down in a reading chair close to the fireplace and slouched back, legs stretched out before him resting on the hearth, glass cradled on his chest. He raised one eyebrow in question. "Well?"

"I have met this girl before, a week or so ago." Heero raised his eyes to look at Duo, "I nearly killed her."

Duo sat bolt upright almost spilling his drink. His cousin was not one for exaggerating, if he said he almost killed someone, then that is what he meant. Duo studied Heero's poker face, then relaxed again and resumed his recumbent position. "Tell me." He said.

Heero related how he had been riding back from visiting his sister's grave when Miss Peacecraft had suddenly appeared beside the road, startling both himself and his horse.

"My mind was so much on Helena that when I saw a grey shape loom up in the mist I believed it was Helena's ghost." Heero took another sip whilst Duo made no comment. "I was so startled I fell and was stunned for a moment or two."

"Sounds like a romantic way to meet." Duo half smiled "Did not she run to your side to aide you?" Heero nodded "And what did you do?" Duo asked.

"I threatened her."

"Good God man!" Duo exclaimed, "You were supposed to be romantic!"

"I did not know it was her!" Heero said tersely "I asked her if she had seen....Helena, then when I realised my foolishness I recovered my horse and called her incompetent. It was so misty that I could not even see her face clearly."

Duo smacked a hand to his brow "Well, there goes my £500! What did she say when you called?"

"Nothing a first." Heero confessed "She did look familiar to me, I was certain that I had seen her somewhere before, but made no connection with the incident. Then when I asked her if she rode, she said she was incompetent. That is when I made the connection and realised who she was."

Duo shook his head dolefully. Heero looked annoyed at himself enough for both of them, and Duo was never one to hold a grudge. "What is she like?" Duo asked. Heero looked puzzled. "What does she look like? Miss Peacecraft." Duo elaborated when Heero continued to look blankly at him.

"A girl. Blonde. Medium height." Heero shrugged "Pretty I suppose." He trailed off, lost in thought.

Duo grinned "Not the best description I have ever heard." He commented "So, what are you going to do now? You may still be in with a chance, she did not refuse you entrance, nor did she turn you away when she saw you. Perhaps you still have a chance to win this bet."

"Failure is not an option." Heero said tersely "I will not loose to Kushrinada, even if it means killing Miss Peacecraft to prevent him having her." He slammed his glass down on the table, he smiled thinly at Duo "I am, of course, joking."

Duo regarded Heero with half narrowed eyes, considering. "Heero, what is it that you have against Kushrinada?" Duo asked quietly. "Why do you hate him so much?"

"He killed Helena."

 

* * * *

 

Treize Kushrinada had also returned to his property more than a little annoyed. It had come out in the course of the conversation with Miss Peacecraft that Heero Yuy was back in the area. Yuy could be there for one purpose only: to thwart him in his conquest of Relena. Treize's actions unknowingly mirrored those of Heero as he stormed into his study and poured himself a drink. He regarded the ledger that his land agent had sent him in distaste. Money! He though Such a vulgar subject, yet so necessary. He tossed the paperwork to one side. Yuy would not be allowed to interfere with his plans, not when he was so close to ridding himself of all his monetary worries.

Treize smiled into his glass. He was ever the consummate actor. To the world he was a Lord, wealthy with properties, business and investments. Unfortunately the truth was less glamorous. Yes, he did own a sizeable chunk of Sussex. He inherited it along with his title on the death of his father. However, he also inherited a variety of debts and as the land was entailed he was unable to sell any of it.

Treize's father had been a speculator and had tried to increase his the family wealth by investing in a variety of projects. However, he also had a knack of investing in projects that were doomed to fail. He had sunk sixty thousand pounds into the Albion*, a grand project building the first flour mill to be powered by a steam engine. Unfortunately the investment was lost; the mill ran at a loss for a couple of years and then was completely destroyed by fire. Lord Treize Snr had not seen fit to take insurance on the business and so lost all his investment.

Treize's fathers next project was the a gunpowder mill, his reasoning being that there would always be call for gunpowder in the times they were living in; England seemed always to be at war with one nation or another. And this was a good assumption. He also took the precaution of insuring this business at crippling high premiums. Unfortunately, he failed to take into account the volatile nature of the stuff they were creating and after two explosions in one year the mill was suddenly declared uninsurable. Shortly after that there was a third explosion which destroyed most of the mill and killed seven men, including the ill-fated Lord.

And so Treize had inherited an estate that was entailed so he could not sell it, and a multitude of debts that he couldn't service. He had, of course, been very careful not to let the world know of his restrained means. In order to try and regain his fortune he had sought out a rich wife. Her money had been sunk into a new project: a cotton mill. Power looms had been purchased and combined with cheap local labour Treize looked forward to some revenue. Unfortunately the curse of the Kushrinada's had struck again when workers, fearing that the fast power looms would mean less work for them, had destroyed the equipment. The ringleader had been hung, and a few of the followers had been transported to Australia, but that did not help Treize replace his equipment. The last of his funds had gone into replacing those looms. Now he needed capital and he needed it fast.

Young Relena Peacecraft was a good prospect. She was young, pretty, the sister of a man who considered him a good friend, and she was exceedingly rich. Treize frowned again. Yuy would not be able to stop him ñ if he wanted a fight, then a fight he would have.

Hearing a coach approaching up the shingled drive he placed his glass down and looked out the window. For the first time since arriving home he smiled. A genuine smile of happiness. He swiftly walked out of the study to the front door to greet the occupants of the carriage.

Lady Ann Une, disembarked from the carriage and smiled lazily up at Treize. She never failed to make Treize loose his breath. She was not a great beauty, not one of her features could be called outstanding. Yet, when taken as a whole, she had an arresting presence. Her hair was brown and straight. She did not care for the current convention of curls, but rather preferred her hair to remain sleek and elegant.

It was Treize's biggest regret in life that he had failed to meet the lovely Lady Une until after her marriage to the rich Earl of Une. However, he was the first to admit that even if he had he would not have been in a position to marry her; she had no money of her own. She was an ambitious woman and had, through what Treize believed to be truly admirable skills, wormed her way into the Earls society and claimed his heart.

Once married, Lady Une had soon set upon a variety of extramarital conquests which, when discovered, earned her the eternal disapproval of her husband. They were currently separated but the scandal and difficulties associated with getting a divorce made it unlikely that the marriage would end before one of them died. Treize did not mind about this though, she and he were happy to have their affair. Lady Une understood Treize perfectly and approved his methods of acquiring the additional capital he needed. In fact, she was here to assist him in his endeavour.

Treize took Lady Une's hand and kissed it before pulling her into his close embrace and kissing her deeply. Lady Une returned the kiss with passion and Treize felt keen anticipation for the night to come.

Dorothy Catalonia was next to exit the carriage and observed her cousin kissing Lady Une with considerable disgust. Dorothy did not like Lady Une and having been forced to share a carriage with the woman for the last five hours had certainly not improved her opinion of the woman. Dorothy disliked Une's morals. Dorothy believed in loyalty and that once married loyalty to one's spouse was absolute.

Dorothy smiled to herself. Perhaps, she thought, that was why she had given Yuy the information about Miss Peacecraft. Dorothy did not like the way her cousin had appropriated one fortune and was now trying to appropriate another. That was one reason. The second reason, and no less valid in Dorothy's mind, was that Heero was so damn attractive.

 

Treize was still kissing Une. Footmen waited holding baggage waiting for instructions, their eyes averted from the embracing couple. Dorothy rolled her eyes and cleared her throat. Loudly. Treize finally ended the kiss and, whilst still holding Une close to him, looked up at Dorothy.

"Dorothy" he drawled "How nice of you to invite yourself."

Dorothy smiled. There was truly no love lost between her cousin and herself.

"Treize dear, after I heard the Yuy had taken up residence at Maresfield again and that there is a fortune to be won, I could hardly stay away and miss the fun." Dorothy clasped her hands together in front of her "You know how much I love a battle!"

 

* * * *

 

Catherine Bloom had arrived at Sanq Hall as promised and had been given a room to herself up at the top of the house where the servants were all housed. She had assured Relena that Trowa was completely fine with her new employment and was, in fact, relieved that Catherine had some security.

Catherine had inspected all Relena's new clothes to familiarise herself with her lady's wardrobe and had then settled Relena in front of her dresser to work on her hair. A curling iron was produced and placed near the coals of the fire and rags were brought forth to secure the curls till they had set. Once the curls had been finished they were captured in a silk bandanna. Relena regarded her reflection doubtfully seeing the way her hair framed her face. She frowned feeling that she had too much hair.

Catherine smoothed away doubts reassuring her that she was not over done and then found a small bottle of perfume, which she dabbed behind Relena's ears. Relena was pleased with the scent of lavender and roses, light and not too overpowering.

Trowa, however, was not pleased with the transformation. He stood staring as Relena entered the ballroom to stand for her portrait, Catherine at her side. He glared at Catherine.

"Straight hair!" he said pointing at the painting "She is to have straight hair. Go away! Do not come back until your hair is as it was!" Trowa turned his attention back to the painting and started working on the background.

Relena made to apologise, but Catherine took her arm and led her away.

"He is just annoyed because you look even prettier in curls." She said gently laughing. As they walked back to the inner hall a commotion took their attention. Footmen were hurrying to the front hall and Lucrezia came sweeping down the staircase.

"Ah Relena, good you are here." She paused looking Relena up and down "My, you do look pretty" she nodded at Catherine acknowledging the maid's skill, and then dismissed her with "That will be all, Catherine."

Catherine bobbed a curtsy and disappeared back into the ballroom, presumably to tease Trowa.

"Millardo is home!" Lucrezia said explaining the commotion "Come, my dear! Let us go and greet him and his guest."

Arm in arm they walked down the front hall and out to the steps in front of the house.

"Oh my...." Lucrezia breathed. Relena was not sure, but she was sure that Lucrezia had just come close to swearing in a most unladylike manner.

Not just one coach was approaching, but six. All were shiny black affairs, drawn by four horses with a footman riding on the back plate of each. The Kings coat of arms was proudly displayed on the first, which pulled up to the front step.

"I though you said one ambassador." Relena murmured to Lucrezia.

"Yes...Millardo has some explaining to do." Lucrezia whispered back, her face drawn up in a pleasant smile, but her eyes giving away how put out she was. Relena smiled too, finding herself very pleased not to be in Millardo's shoes.

The footman on the first coach had by now leapt down and was lowering steps and opening the door. Millardo was first to emerge, he quickly climbed the steps to the house, embraced his wife and kissed her soundly. Relena blushed and lowered her eyes, only to find herself held in a tight embrace and the recipient of a brotherly kiss to her cheek.

"I have truly missed you both!" he declared "My goodness, Lucrezia, what have you been doing with Relena? She is all changed ñ for the better!" he swiftly added.

Relena saw that Lucrezia was smiling happy to have her husband home, her momentary irritation of six carriages forgotten, and presumably this was the result of the amorous kiss. Relena looked back at the carriage to see a second occupant emerge.

This was a large tall man dressed in loose trousers, white shirt and sleeveless white over jacket with a small scimitar held at his waistband by a sash. His face was interesting, very brown and almost leathery. His hair was styled in a way that Relena had never seen before, combed up to points on either side of his head. His beard was trimmed into the same style, clipped into points. The overall effect of hair and beard was quite intimidating. His brown eyes were narrowed examining his surroundings and his mouth was straight and tight, which gave his face a stern look. He looked up at Relena, his eyes narrowing even more so that Relena could no longer discern his eye colour. Relena felt downhearted, this ambassador was certainly someone dour ñ his company would not be as welcome as she had hoped.

The next person to emerge from the recesses of the carriage was a young man of around her age. He appeared to be wearing a traditional costume, his trousers were wide and baggy, gathered in at his ankles and pleated at his waist. He wore a long sleeved bolero jacket of black velvet embroidered in gold and silver threads. His feet were encased in black slippers, the backs folded down under his heels. In stark comparison to the older man, he had blond hair that fell messily over pale blue eyes that twinkled with apparent merriment and kindness. His mouth was smiling and it seemed to Relena that this man radiated goodwill and happiness. Relena supposed him to be the ambassador's son ñ perhaps this would be a pleasant visit after all.

Millardo led her and Lucrezia down the steps to the two men. "May I present His Excellency Quatre Raberba Winner, Ambassador of Arabia." Lucrezia and Relena both curtsied.

"Sabah ael-kher. Taeshaerrafna"** said Relena, looking up at the elder man through modestly lowered eyes. To her surprise the man smiled and started laughing, his hand on his hips, his laugh loud and hearty. Relena looked sideways at Millardo whilst repeatedly running the phrase through her mind to make sure that she had not said something stupid like "I am a donkey." She frowned, she was sure that she had said it correctly. Millardo smiled.

"No Relena" he pointed to the young blonde gentleman "This is the ambassador. Your Excellency, may I present my wife Lucrezia, Marchioness of Zechs and my sister Miss Relena Peacecraft."

Quatre had been smiling at Relena's mistake and, after bowing to Lucrezia, took Relena's hand and said "Kwaeyyis ael-haemdu lillaeh***. Such a wonderful welcome ñ to be greeted in one's own language and for it to be uttered so beautifully. This is Rashid Kurama, my bodyguard. Well, one of my bodyguards." He gestured to the other carriages from which men were disembarking. "They are the Maganacs"

"But what have you to fear in Sussex?" Lucrezia regarded all the men in some dismay, wondering where she was going to house them.

Quatre grimaced. "I am afraid my father insists that I travel with them. I am his heir, his only son, and so he is protective of me especially when I travel to foreign countries. Please Marchioness, they will not impose on your hospitality. The Maganacs are from a nomadic race and have come with their own accommodation."

Lucrezia looked puzzled, but Relena almost clapped her hand in excitement. "They have tents?" she exclaimed. Quatre nodded his affirmation.

"Only Rashid remains with me at all times, I hope that is not too much of an imposition." Quatre said.

Catherine was in the inner hall armed with shawls; she had obviously decided that her lady had been outside for too long without the benefit of a shawl. Catherine all but squeaked when Rashid strode into the hall making sure that all was secure and safe. Catherine was by no means a short woman, she was a good head taller than Relena, yet this Maganac towered over her. He regarded her closely, assessing her, then he grinned widely revealing two rows of gleaming white teeth. Catherine blinked but stood her ground. Rashid laughed loudly again and Lucrezia scolded him.

"Kindly do not terrorise my staff Mr Kurama!" she said crossly, then taking the wrap from Catherine she sent Catherine on her way again. Catherine moved but cast more than one gaze back over her shoulder at the young diplomat's bodyguard.

They moved into the drawing room, Quatre looking pleased to be in a warm building even though it was a bright summer's day outside. Relena whispered to Millardo that perhaps a fire was called for and he rang a bell to have this arranged.

"Do you take tea?" Lucrezia asked "Or would you prefer coffee. I understand that is your customary drink."

"May I impose upon you for some hot chocolate?" Quatre asked "I seem to have developed a taste for it whilst in London."

Rashid stood beside Quatre, his arms crossed looking stern.

"Er, Mr Kurama would you like some refreshment?" Lucrezia asked. An almost imperceptible shake of his head indicated a negative response. Peygan departed from the room to obtain both refreshments and fire.

Lucrezia as hostess ought to have made small talk, but she had almost forgotten herself so preoccupied was she with the large bodyguard in the room, and distracted by a series of small tents being erected outside the drawing room window. Millardo sitting beside his wife had eyes only for her, drinking in her profile.

"Ambassador, how do you find England?" Relena asked politely to make up for their silence. Quatre smiled at her.

"The countryside is a green place. It seems to be wet, but very pretty. London was very grey, so many buildings made from stone." His pale blue eyes looked out the window "I much prefer the countryside. London was crowded and noisy. You will excuse me, but it was full of noise and smells." Quatre looked back at Relena "Have you been to London?"

"No" Relena replied "I have not had the opportunity to go yet. Millardo has promised to take me for the season in January, but I am not sure I should like it. The largest city I have been in is Maccau and I understand that London is much larger."

"Maccau, China?" Quatre asked surprised, and Relena nodded and explained her arrival. "Ah, that explains your familiarity with Arabic." Quatre said as she finished.

Peygan had now arrived back in the room accompanied by two footmen, one who tended the fire and one who carried a tray with tea pot, chocolate pot, cups, saucers and an arrangement of delicious looking cakes and biscuits. Quatre requested his chocolate be sweet, so cut lumps of sugar where added to his cup and the mixture thoroughly stirred before it was passed to him. As they sipped their refreshments, Lucrezia managed to tear her eyes from the garden.

"To have so many bodyguards." She said to Quatre "Your father must hold your safety very dear. You are the eldest son?"

"No, I am the youngest of his children, but his only son." Quatre half smiled and Relena sensed some discontent from him.

"Oh?" Millardo entered the conversation. "How many sisters do you have?"

"Twenty nine."

Millardo, Lucrezia and Relena all blinked in surprise. Relena wondered whether Quatre's knowledge of English was as good as she had supposed.

"My father has a harem, as is the custom in my country." Quatre explained "My sisters are half sisters, from a number of wives."

Lucrezia sipped her tea in embarrassment, but Relena was keen to learn more. Unfortunately Millardo seemed to anticipate her questions and, not wanting his wife to be made more uncomfortable, was determined to change the subject.

"I thought whilst we are enjoying this warm weather we could take the opportunity of having a picnic." He said "There are some wonderful views from the tops of the downs, and pleasant walks too."

"A picnic?" Quatre looked puzzled at the word and Millardo had to explain what was meant.

"That would be a wonderful idea." Enthused Lucrezia "It would be a perfect opportunity for you to get to know some of the local society. Only yesterday we saw Lord Kushrinada and Lord Yuy. Kushrinada was telling us that his cousin Miss Dorothy Catalonia and her good friend Lady Anne Une were coming to visit him this week. We could invite them too."

"I am acquainted with Lord Yuy; an interesting man, very firm in his beliefs." Quatre said "I am not sure I have met Lord Kushrinada."

"He has not been to the Lords of late" Millardo explained "He recently lost his wife and has been in mourning."

"Well, that is settled! A picnic shall be held on Wednesday!" Lucrezia was very satisfied.

 

* * * *

 

Relena related all that had occurred when she went to visit Mrs Darlian that afternoon. Wufei was not in the Rectory, but was at the church. There, apparently, he was contemplating the sermon he was going to give that Sunday: his first. Reverend Darlian was with his wife in the drawing room, Mrs Darlian recumbent on the sofa again.

Mrs Darlian was paler than usual and Relena felt immediate concern and asked if she had consulted a Doctor. Reverend Darlian confirmed that a Doctor called daily and had prescribed a regime of letting and fasting to remove the ill humours from Mrs Darlian's blood. Relena gave Mrs Darlian a wonderfully thick yet light shawl that she had ordered for her when ordering the new clothes. She arranged it over Mrs Darlian's shoulder feeling how the elder woman's bones protruded, as they never had before.

"Dear, please do not be concerned for me." Mrs Darlian smiled, snuggling up into the shawl "This is so fine! Why, they would be jealous in Maccau!" she reached up a hand and caressed Relena's face "And you look fine too. Millardo and Lucrezia are treating you well?"

Relena nodded "They are very kind." She affirmed "But even with the excitement of Mr Winner's visit, I would still much rather be here with you."

"I wish you were too." Reverend Darlian said stoutly, but trailed off at the look her received from his wife.

"We agreed that this arrangement was better for Relena." Mrs Darlian said quietly.

"Yes dear." Reverend Darlian was wise enough to back down when presented with THE look from Mrs Darlian.

The rest of the visit was one of idle but pleasant chat, Reverend Darlian telling Relena about his parishioners and Mrs Darlian making keen observations about more than one. Relena invited both Reverend and Mrs Darlian to the picnic, they accepted conditional on Mrs Darlian being well enough. On her way back to Sanq Hall Relena stopped in at the church. Wufei was sitting on one of the pews, his head bowed. At first Relena thought he was praying, but then she saw he had his spectacles on and was reading. She sat quietly in the pew opposite and waited for him to notice her.

He finished the page he was reading, inserted a bookmark and turned to regard her. Then he started to laugh.

"What have you done to your hair?!"

Relena's hand leapt to feel the unfamiliar curls and she first grimaced then chuckled. "I have employed a ladies maid who thinks that curls suit me." Relena said, "I fear she is mistaken, for you are not the first to react in this way. Mr Barton, the artist painting my portrait, refused to continue until my hair is restored to straightness."

Wufei raised his eyebrows. "A ladies maid and a portrait! And fine new clothes." He said, "You have certainly risen in the world."

"Wufei, I worry for Mother." Relena said changing the subject, suddenly serious. "I am assured that a Doctor visits daily, yet she has become so pale and thin in such a short time."

"I have no liking for western medicine" Wufei shook his head "They bleed her to remove impurities, but it just seems to make her more ill."

Relena sighed. "Perhaps we could find someone who could offer a second opinion."

"I have made enquiries." Wufei said, "The standard practice is to bleed."

Relena, feeling sad, changed the subject once again and told Wufei of the guests recently come to Sanq Hall and that there was to be both a ball and a picnic.

"Will you come?" she asked "I doubt that you will get an opportunity to see Mr Winner and his band of bodyguards unless you come to the picnic. He is not Christian and will not attend Church."

Wufei looked doubtful "It seems a frivolous undertaking." He said "However, to please you I shall consider it."

Relena squeezed his hand smiling, and rose to leave, and Wufei turned his attention back to his book. As Relena passed the charity box on the way out she paused and from her reticule took two gold sovereigns, all she carried, and placed them in the box. The coins rattled noisily as they hit the bottom of the box, the noise attracting Wufei's attention. He turned and regarded her thoughtfully.

"Relena, wait!" he called. "I have something I wish you to consider."

 

* * * *

 

Relena was excited, she all but ran into the small drawing room where, Peygan had informed her, her brother and sister-in-law were. The ambassador had taken to his room to rest accompanied by the ever present Rashid. Millardo was reading a newspaper and Lucrezia was writing invitation cards in her fine thin handwriting, the quill making small scratchy sounds as it travelled over the paper. Lucrezia was startled when Relena suddenly entered the room and a drop of ink dropped from the pen onto the gold embossed card. Lucrezia immediately rolled it with some blotting paper, but the damage was done and the card ruined. She sighed, putting it to one side and turned to listen to Relena who obviously had news.

"Millardo!" Relena exclaimed, undoing the laces of her bonnet, pulling the hat away from her head and dropping it carelessly on a small table by the door "I need some money!"

Millardo watched her calmly and she pulled off her kid gloves, placed then inside the crown of the bonnet and started to undo the buttons on her dark blue pelisse. That too was soon draped across the table and Relena came to sit beside Millardo, excitement showing in her eyes.

"Millardo, how much money can I draw upon?" she asked

"You have sufficient capital to provide you a comfortable living based upon the interest earned. It would be unwise to draw heavily upon the capital as it would affect your living." Millardo said, "Why, what has caught your fancy."

"I want to establish a school." Relena said.

Lucrezia's interest was now firmly captured. She had been expecting the girl to want some jewellery or a horse. "A school?" she asked coming to sit beside her husband.

"Yes!" Relena nodded, pushing back curls that were beginning to annoy her greatly. "I have been to visit Wufei. He has come to know this Parish quite well in the last few weeks and he informs me that there is a work house."

Millardo nodded "Almost all Parishes have them. They are a place for the poor that cannot work or will not work."

"But it is full of children, all of whom are illiterate and have not the means to improve themselves." Relena exclaimed, "They are sending the children out to work from the age of five to a cotton mill. They work impossibly long hours, walking the equivalent of fifteen miles per day. Some have developed deformities because of their work!"

"So, how do you propose that a school will aid them?" Millardo asked calmly

"Surely an education would improve their prospects no end!" Relena said

"And what of the lost income by not attending work? The work house relies on the income to provide food and clothing for its inmates."

"Inmates indeed! It is like a jail, and the are working children to death!" Relena said indignantly. "Can we not do better for them, provide a place for the children to live, provide good food for them to eat!"

"And what of their parents? Whilst they may not be able to care for them financially, I am sure they care for them emotionally." Millardo pointed out.

"But the majority of them have no parents, no family." Relena argued "The majority have been bought into the parish; the work house is paid an amount to take them. They are put to work in the cotton factory and worked literally to death."

"Relena, you are mistaken." Millardo shook his head. "This is England and the English are civilised. We do not work children to death."

"But I have seen the conditions they live in!" Relena started again to argue, but Lucrezia made a little noise of distress.

"You went to the Work House?" Lucrezia said horrified "My dear, do you know how dangerous that is? You could have caught some disease, or vermin!"

"I did not enter, just looked from the outside." Relena said crossly "I have caught nothing. See Millardo, even Lucrezia knows the poor living conditions that these people have to endure. Do I or do I not have control over my finances?" she demanded. Millardo frowned and nodded.

"I do think that you need to seek professional advice in this." Lucrezia said quietly, trying to pacify the siblings whose anger was growing. Relena considered her request and nodded. Millardo smiled faintly.

"But not tomorrow." Millardo said quietly, referring back to his paper "Tomorrow we are enjoying the picnic."

 

 

*Built 1786, destroyed by fire 1792

** Good morning. How do you do.

***Very well thank you