Seduction

Chapter Six

 

The morning of the picnic dawned bright and clear and promised to be very warm. Relena was glad, as she knew that Quatre felt the cold and had kept to his room last night. Catherine reported that the servants said his room was so heated that one of the chambermaids had almost fainted. Catherine supposed this to be an exaggeration though, as only three buckets of coals had been carried to the room yesterday.

Catherine also reported that Rashid took delivery of the dinner tray sent up last night when Quatre had asked to dine alone. Quatre had said that he was more than a little tired from the journey. Rashid had apparently examined the tray very closely before taking it to his master, and the servants had wondered whether the bodyguard had tasked the food to test for poison. Catherine further reported that the Chef had been most offended at the thought and was going to speak to Millardo about it.

Relena was unsure as to whether Quatre had in reality been indisposed. He struck her as a man of great sensitivity, and he knew that Lucrezia and Millardo had not long been married and would want to spend time together alone after their separation. When Relena had heard that Quatre had given his apologies for dinner, she too had sent word that she was indisposed so Lucrezia and Millardo could have some time to themselves.

As Relena sat listening to Catherine tell her of the rumours below stairs, she let Catherine dress her hair. Relena had firmly insisted on the curls being washed out and was now back to her usual straight hair. Catherine had brushed it to a high sheen and was now pulling it up into a simple bun that would sit happily under the bonnet she had chosen to wear to the picnic.

Catherine was to come to the picnic too. Catherine had been keen to attend and had all but asked if she could come along, saying that she did not mind doing additional duties. Relena had been surprised but was happy for her company and had immediately agreed.

At breakfast Lucrezia was not so happy, but was her protests were silenced when Quatre and Rashid joined them. Rashid stood near to Quatre as he settled himself down to the table. Relena smiled as she saw the footmen who served Quatre his hot chocolate and coddled eggs watch him closely. Quatre ate without having Rashid taste his food first. No doubt the footmen would immediately report this news to the chef who would be placated.

Peygan entered the room holding a silver tray upon which rested a note. He presented it to Millardo who frowned as he read and then looked solemnly at Relena.

"Reverend and Mrs Darlian send their apologies. Mrs Darlian does not feel well enough to attend." He said. Relena lowered her fork and began to speak, but Millardo forestalled her "They say that you should not be concerned and please enjoy your day."

Relena nodded, but still felt guilty that she was going to be out enjoying herself whilst her mother was poorly. "Is Wufei attending?" she asked.

Millardo referred to the note "It does not say."

"Our party will still be large." Lucrezia said, "I will have to consider rearranging the seating now that there are two maybe three less..." she looked to Relena "...and one addition."

"Catherine can travel with me." Relena said firmly.

"May I have the honour of travelling with you too?" Quatre asked smiling.

"Of course" Relena said, trying to hide her disappointment that she would not be sharing a carriage with Heero or Treize. She could see that Quatre sensed something was amiss. He was so kind and friendly, she would probably have a much more relaxing time with him than with the others. She put more warmth in her voice "That would be lovely. I shall be able to point out some of the wonderful aspects of the countryside." Quatre nodded, his eyes reflecting her warmth back to her.

Lucrezia was mentally working out the rest of the party "Millardo, you could share a carriage with Treize, Yuy and his cousin."

Millardo shook his head "My dear, do not put Heero and Treize together. They never got on before Helena's death, I am sure there is even less respect between them now. No I shall travel with Heero and his cousin, you shall travel with Treize and his cousin and her friend."

Lucrezia nodded her agreement. "That leaves Doctor Willerby and Mr Chang, if he comes. They can go in either coach.

"Dr Willerby?" Relena questioned.

"The local doctor, he is treating Mrs Darlian. You will like him, he is a nice old chap. He had been working in this parish for years and has a lot of knowledge of the area. Must be seventy if he is a day." Millardo explained.

"Mr Winner." Lucrezia looked hesitant "How many of your entourage will be attending?"

Quatre smiled over the rim of his cup of hot chocolate. "Rashid and only three others, if that is acceptable to you. Abdul, Auda and Ahmed can travel on the back plates with the footmen. I can assure you that they will be no trouble."

Lucrezia smiled and inclined her head, obviously pleased that their numbers were limited to four.

 

* * * *

 

As the horses trotted through the picturesque countryside, Relena was pleased to be able to point out some features to Quatre. Catherine filled in the gaps in Relena's knowledge having lived in the area for most of her life. She knew it very well, as well as some of the old legends associated with the landmarks. They travelled through the edge of the Ashdown Forest when they encountered smoke billowing across the road.

"Charcoal burners." Catherine explained, pointing to men working to pile logs up in a neat mound that resembled a hut. "They stack the wood until the structure is around as tall as a man and more than forty feet wide. Then they burn it slowly to make charcoal. See, those other small black stacks probably have been burning for a couple of days now." She pointed at smaller smouldering heap from which the smoke originated.

"How does it work?" Quatre asked in interest.

Catherine laughed "You would have to ask a charcoal burner!" She said "I know they use oak, birch or chestnut and I know the stack has to be made with care and a vent made in the middle with a flue. Once lit it burns slowly for four days to make the charcoal. It is a thing that only a skilled man could do."

Relena was pleased when Catherine had finally spoken in the carriage. When Trieze's party had arrived Catherine had become quiet; her lips pursed, and eyes lowered. Relena supposed that it was because Treize had dismissed Catherine without a reference and so had made the chances of her finding further employment difficult. Relena could not understand why Treize would have done this and she was keen to find out the reasons. Treize had apparently not noticed her reaction and Relena found it difficult to tell whether he even recognised Catherine.

Treize had introduced his cousin and her friend to Relena and Relena had been struck with a number of impressions. Miss Catatonia was a striking young woman, sharing her cousin's distinctive eyebrows. She seemed to be very confident and regarded Relena in almost amusement. Lady Une was also an interesting woman. She seemed quiet and offered no comment other than "How do you do?" in a soft voice. Relena supposed that she was a woman who sat quietly in her friend's shadow, Dorothy appearing to be the more outgoing of the two.

Treize had attempted to engage Heero and Duo in conversation, but Heero did not appear to respond at all. This saddened Relena, for how could their differences be resolved if they did not talk. Heero did seem to be uncommonly stubborn. Even Duo was restrained in Treize's presence but he chatted amiably to Dorothy and Lady Une. Relena watched Heero closely and noted when he nodded towards Catherine in obvious recognition. She also noted when Catherine nodded back; Catherine did not seem to harbour any ill regard towards Heero.

Relena observed too that Dorothy kept gazing at Heero when she thought she was unobserved. Perhaps she was also enamoured by his beautiful blue eyes. Relena felt tense once she thought this and realised that she felt uncomfortable with the suggestion of competition for Heero's attention.

Dr Willerby arrived last, having first called in to see Mrs Darlian who he assured Relena and Wufei was comfortable. Dr Willerby was an extremely stout old man who, when he mounted the carriage assigned to him, made it tip in an alarming way until he settled himself down. He had left little room beside him, but enough for Lucrezia to squeeze in to.

Relena had been lost in thought considering the interaction of all the guests when she realised that Quatre was addressing her.

"This is an interesting collection of people. I sense much tension amongst them."

Relena nodded "I am afraid that Lord Yuy's sister was Lord Kushrinada's wife and since her death they have not spoken. There is no regard between them at all, which is a pity. It seems a shame that a loved one's death could so destroy a family"

"Kushrinada seems to have a high regard for Lady Une" Quatre was looking distant, deep in thought.

"...Oh?..." Relena said a little puzzled at observation. Quatre suddenly seemed to bring himself back from his thoughts and smiled at Relena apologetically.

"I am sorry" he said, "sometimes I get carried away with my musings."

"Quatre has a gift for knowing what is in peoples hearts." Rashid rumbled in his low voice "He has the Soul of Space." He lowered his head in respect.

"Soul of Space." Relena repeated, looking at Quatre who smiled at her.

"It is a special gift, I can feel when someone truly desires peace." Quatre reached out and touched her hand. "Such as yourself. You desire more than most anything for inequalities to stop and fighting to stop."

Relena felt herself mesmerised by Quatre's honest blue eyes. She felt herself smile broadly at his words, and nodded.

The carriage slowed and Relena realised that they had arrived at Budlets Rocks. The road terminated at the base of a hill, upon which were outcrops of sandstone rocks that were weathered into strange shapes. A short walk to the top of the hill was now called for.

Quatre helped Relena down from the carriage then eagerly looked around. Rashid climbing out the other side all but lifted Catherine down and deposited her gently on the turf. Catherine's colour rose and she looked like she was going to tell the bodyguard off, but instead she mumbled her thanks and went to assist the footmen in the unpacking of hampers.

It was very sunny and Relena opened the flimsy white umbrella that Lucrezia had insisted she bring and held it up so it afforded her face some shade. Heero and Duo had by now disembarked from their carriage and Duo was assisting the large Doctor down. Trieze had left his carriage and looked like he was attempting to come to offer to escort Relena, but Wufei started talking to him and he was obliged to remain where he was.

Heero strode up to Relena looking at her almost warily. He seemed to wonder how she was going to react.

"Would you walk with me?" he asked.

Relena smiled and nodded then remembered to keep breathing. Out of the corner of her eye she caught Quatre's wide grin and then observed him offering to escort Miss Catalonia.

Heero held out his arm and Relena wound her hand in the crook of his elbow. She had barely touched him when she again felt the strange jolt pass through her. She almost pulled away, but Heero placed a gloved hand over hers squeezing her hand gently. As they started to walk Relena assumed that Heero would make some comment about their previous meeting, but Heero remained silent. He walked fast and Relena felt herself hard pressed to match his pace, her thin slippers offering little protection against the stones in their path.

At length, when they had almost reached the summit, Heero paused. He looked down at her breathing heavily and frowned. Whether it was irritation at her apparent weakness or at him for not noticing her tiredness before, she could not say. Relena guessed at the first as she was by now in a pessimistic mood, probably due to his lack of conversation. She looked down the slope and saw the others some distance away. She walked a little to the left to where an outcrop of rocks made a perfect viewing platform for the countryside below them. Ignoring the drop of ten or so feet at their far edge, she clambered over them till she was standing a few feet away from the edge. Stretching out beyond was a delightful view of the wealds of Sussex, rolling down land giving way to patchwork of small fields all boarded in a green edging of hedgerows.

Relena sensed that Heero had followed her, and again felt disconcerted by his nearness; why did he have to stand so very close? She could almost feel the heat emanating from his body and his breath caressing the back on her neck. Her body wanted to sway backwards, to connect with his so that she could once again enjoy the feelings his touch inspired. Instead she walked forward a pace to distance herself from him so that she would be able to think clearly.

"It is very pretty." Relena said, trying to clear her mind of the disturbing thoughts she was having.

"Yes" Heero agreed with what sounded like surprise in his voice. Relena looked up and found him regarding her closely. He stared at her until she began to blush, then he looked away at the view. He cleared his throat "If you like this you would like Whiteleafe. It is in countryside such as this." He moved closer to her again.

"Whiteleafe?" she asked moving away again. She thought that either did not know that his closeness was making her uncomfortable or he did and was taunting her.

"My estate." Heero said, still looking at the view. Again he moved closer to her, this time his arm brushed hers and she felt her heart start to beat a little faster and her mouth go dry.

"Ah" Relena nodded, moving another step forward silently cursing herself for breaking the contact, but needing to move away so that she could think enough to speak. "Do you live there most of the time?"

Heero nodded "I rarely leave it, only to attend the House*"

"Or to check on leased property." Relena pointed out.

"Hn..." He had moved closer again and his breath tickled her ear. She took another step forward and found there was no ground for her foot to step on. Heero quickly grabbed her around the waist and pulled her back a couple of paces to firm ground

"You ought to be careful." He rebuked her gently but did not her go. For a moment they stood pressed closely together, her face tilted up, her eyes regarding him in surprise. He looked down at her, his mouth pulled into a half smile. Then he released his grip on her arms and she felt him pull away so there was once again a respectable distance between them.

Relena looked back down the slope. Duo was almost pushing Dr Willerby up the hill, the old mans face was red with excerption, but Duo's seemed to be redder. Wufei was still engrossed in conversation with Trieze who was looking more in her direction that Wufei's. Relena smiled and waved at them, and Treize lifted his hat in a return salutation. Heero glared.

"Shall we continue?" Heero asked, taking her arm again.

* * * *

Dorothy had been watching Heero and Relena closely, mentally applauding when Heero whisked the heiress out from under Treize's nose. She had been happy when Mr Winner had offered to escort her up the hill, as she was eager to distance herself from the insidious presence of Lady Une. But now, halfway up, she was not so sure that Quatre was a good choice for an escort.

He was, of course, very distracting wearing such exotic clothes. His pale blue eyes seemed to be so innocent, yet so knowing at the same time. And he kept making the most disconcerting and even impertinent comments.

First he had made the observation that Dorothy and her ëfriend' Lady Une seemed to be a little cold to each other; had they had a falling out? Dorothy had made a mental note to be more careful around Une, it would not pay to irritate Trieze by calling into question his relationship with Une.

Then Quatre had observed that Trieze seemed to like Une greatly. Dorothy made no reply to that as she could sense that Quatre was more than likely to pick up something from the tone of her voice. A little further on Quatre made the comment in a small and wistful voice that Dorothy seemed to like Heero very much. At that point Dorothy tripped in her surprise and it was only Quatre's quick reaction that prevented her falling to her knees. Dorothy pulled out of his grasp as she righted herself and quickly walked away up the hill in dismay that she so obviously wore her emotions for all to see. She walked so speedily that she soon caught up to Heero and Relena who were walking arm in arm, but silently.

"Goodness Miss Catalonia!" Relena exclaimed, "Did you run?"

Dorothy smiled but made no reply, being too breathless to speak. Turning she saw Quatre approaching and she knew that he was going to apologise in front of Heero and Relena, which would lead to all sorts of embarrassing questions from the other couple. It was all Dorothy could do not to scream at him to remain quiet, and Quatre, being observant as ever, seemed to understand and said nothing.

* * * *

Once all the members of the party had gathered near the summit, a large linen cloth was set out on the ground onto which plates, cutlery and food were placed. It had been decided not to picnic at the very top of the hill as it was too windy; the spot chosen was sheltered by an outcrop of the sandstone rocks.

"Ah, nothing like exercise to stimulate the appetite." Dr Willerby said as he huffed up and sat down on a cushion that was hastily provided by a servant.

Duo, who had made most of the effort to get the doctor up the hill, nodded weakly in agreement. Sitting down on the grass he reached out and claimed a slice of game pie. Relena laughed and sat down beside him on a cushion, one of many that were now being scattered around the cloth. Heero immediately sat down on her other side. Duo grinned as he chewed on the food and winked at Dorothy, who made no reply. Heero smirked at Treize, who was looking sullen with pursed lips. Unobserved by all but Relena, Une placed a hand on Treize back, and Treize calmed.

Relena frowned observing this complicated exchange. Something was going on between these five people. Millardo and Lucrezia were talking to the doctor and Wufei and so had not witnessed the exchange, but Quatre, ever observant, caught Relena's eye. She knew that he would be a good person to talk to about the relationship between these two sets of people later.

Heero was polite and offered Relena cake when she confessed that she had a sweet tooth, but he did not talk much. Relena was getting used to his quietness and found it comfortable. With some people one felt that they needed to talk, with some there was not that need. Treize was one of the former, and Heero was one of the latter. Relena liked it; it was relaxing. She smiled her thanks to him for passing a large slice of cherry cake and he nodded.

"Miss Peacecraft, would you like to take a walk to see some of the views from the other side of the hill?" Trieze asked once she had finished eating and the servants were clearing the picnic away. Seeing her hesitation he added, "I am sure Lady Une would accompany us." Lady Une inclined her head graciously and smiled sweetly at Relena

"Yes, I would like to." Relena smiled back and got to her feet, brushing her dress down, dislodging some crumbs that had fallen from the cherry cake. Heero got to his feet too.

"It sounds like an excellent idea." He said, "I shall join you. How about you Duo?"

Duo nodded and got to his feet too "Mr Chang?" Duo asked and smiled at Wufei's positive reply

It ended up that they all walked, apart from Dr Willerby who lay down under a tree and began to snore so loudly that the party could hear him from some distance. Treize claimed Relena's arm before Heero could, but Heero walked close behind them with Dorothy and Une flanking him. He made no conversation with either, but concentrated on the couple in front. Millardo and Lucrezia walked a little behind and smiled at each other, hopeful that such a good friend of Millardo's might claim Relena's heart.

As they walked, they talked.

"It is such a shocking place, poor young children abandoned there without any hope." Relena said, "I am determined to improve them."

Trieze was taken aback by Relena's comment. "I think you are wrong, my dear Miss Peacecraft." Treize said solemnly "These children could not improve even if you gave them education. They are bred inferior, and inferior they will remain."

Relena could not quite believe what she was hearing. "Please tell me that I misheard you." She said "Did you say that because a child is born lowly, it can never improve itself even with the input of money and education."

"Absolutely." Treize said with authority "A child born of two peasants could never hope to rise to be higher than a peasant itself. It is the natural order of things. In England we have a class system that works perfectly well. We are all of us born to a level and that is where we are to stay. Royalty remains royalty, upper class remains upper class, landed gentry remains landed gentry and so on. If you try and blur the levels and raise someone above their natural class, then it only leads to chaos." He explained it as if he was talking to a child.

Relena began to feel angry at such idiotic suggestions. "And where does that leave me?" she asked quietly.

Treize, sensing he was on dangerous ground replied carefully "I believe that you take after your superior parent, that is your father who was a peer." He tried to placate her with flattery.

Relena's smile became fixed. She looked over her shoulder towards Lord Yuy and Mr Maxwell. "And what are your opinion sirs?" she asked.

Heero looked at Trieze "I believe everyone has the ability to improve themselves, to rise above their level. Just as people who are elevated by class can fall to below their level."

Treize stopped and looked at Heero.

"Are you insulting me sir?" he demanded.

"I am just answering Miss Peacecraft's question." Heero replied.

"Thank you Lord Yuy for your frankness." Lucrezia said nervously, "I am sure no insult was intended." She looked at Relena trying to tell her to be silent on the subject, but Relena had more questions to ask.

"And what, sir, is your opinion of child labour?" She asked quietly. "I have heard that children are worked literally to death in factories."

Treize shook his head "I am sure that Yuy will disagree with me, but it is not true." He said, "Factory labour is far less injurious than many other forms of employment. Many of the children who are born into the world and who attain the age of ten or twelve years are so weakly than under any circumstances they would die early. Such children would sink under factory labour, as they would under any circumstance they would die early.**"

Relena could not help herself. "What idiocy!" she exclaimed.

The picnic came to a rapid end after that. Trieze walked away swiftly looking very angry, followed by Lady Une and a smiling Dorothy. Duo went to wake Dr Willerby and help him back down the hill. Heero stayed by Relena, until Lucrezia looking very cross asked him to excuse them as she wanted to talk to her sister in law. At that point he also departed to help the elderly Doctor down the hill.

"Relena, how could you!" Lucrezia hissed at her, not wanting to talk loud in case her voice carried and caused even more scandal. "What possessed you to speak so to Lord Kushrinada."

"Might I ask, what possessed him to speak to me that way." Relena said crossly "Did you hear what he believed in, natural level indeed!"

"We told you how important he is to our family!" Lucrezia said sternly "He has done much to help Millardo, and here was your opportunity to show your thanks."

Relena paused "Excuse me, exactly what were you expecting me to do?" she demanded "Are you expecting me to throw myself at a man just because he is friendly to my brother?"

"No, of course not!" Lucrezia was getting agitated "But he is an important person with important connections."

"Does Millardo expect me to hide my ethics because Kushrinada is a good friend to him!" Relena asked again. She stopped as she saw tears start to slip down Lucrezia's face.

"I am trying so very hard to make everything perfect for Millardo." Lucrezia said "And you seem determined to humiliate me." She wiped at the tears running down her face, trying to be inconspicuous as she did so "I have been trying so very hard to make this event, and the ball, perfect for Millardo and for you".

Relena felt shame that she had reduced her sister in law to tears and put her arm around her waist. "I know Lucrezia, but you are asking me to turn a blind eye to something that I do not approve of and could never approve of. Trieze's attitude is wrong, he is condemning children to a life of abject poverty and misery and he simply does not care."

"I know." Lucrezia nodded.

"You know?" Relena had expected more objections from her.

"His attitude is terrible, but perhaps he just needs to be shown." Lucrezia wiped her eyes again, smiling at Relena's look of amazement. "Relena, I do not come from the peerage. I am not of the class ñ his class." She said " I am a General's daughter, I was bought up around the military and whilst they hold to a strict code of conduct it was nothing like the rules you must adhere to as a Marchioness. I do not want to embarrass Millardo, I do not want to show him up. That is why I try so hard to do everything in the proper way. Do you not think I would rather spend my days with people such as Miss Scheibeker? Of course I would, she is like a breath of fresh air compared with the stuffy society of the likes of Lady Une."

Relena was very surprised. She had never considered Lucrezia's upbringing and now realised that Lucrezia felt herself in the unenviable position of mentor and chaperone to Relena; she would be judged in society just as closely as Relena and it would all reflect back on Millardo.

"Lucrezia, I am sure that Millardo would not want you to feel such stress over these matters." Relena said firmly "Did he not marry you knowing you were but a humble General's daughter?"

"Yes, he did" Millardo came up and held Lucrezia tightly, kissing her cheek. "And I do not want you to worry so. I am not concerned with what society thinks of us, I could not care less. If Treize and Relena disagree upon a point that is fine too. You and I do not agree on all things and I suspect that it would soon be quite tedious if we did."

Relena smiled and moved away to let them have time together alone. She felt a greater understanding of Lucrezia now and liked her much better for it. Quatre fell into step beside her as they walked back down the hill. He smiled in his wonderfully calming way.

"You appear to have created peace in your family." He observed.

Relena nodded "Yes. Peace is a wonderful thing."

 

* * * *

 

Rashid, Abdul, and the other two Magnuacs were standing near a tree and Catherine moved closer to observe what they were doing. A target had been mounted on the trunk of a tree and the Magnuacs were taking turns to throw knives at it. At each strike they would congratulate the thrower loudly, then egg the rest on to greater feats of skill.

Rashid observed Catherine watching with interest. He smiled and beckoned her to come closer with his finger. Catherine considered moving away but she was, in fact, very curious about this Magnuac so she approached.

"Ah, here is come pretty Catherine to see how skilled you are men." Rashid said to his companions in a deep voice, the resonance of which both thrilled and scared her. The other man preened and rapidly sent knifes to the target, all striking close to the centre. Rashid grinned at Catherine and sent his knife flying in the direction of the target, without apparently even bothering to aim. He did not turn his face from hers, but grinned even more broadly as a cheer from his companions indicated a bulls eye.

"May I try?" Catherine asked. Rashid looked surprised but silently passed her the knife that Abdul had just returned.

It was heavy and the metal was cold. The edge looked wickedly sharp. She held it gingerly by its bone handle.

"What do I do?" she asked. Rashid placed his hands on her shoulders and turned her to face the target then pushed her closer by a few steps. Producing another knife he silently showed her to hold the blade rather than the handle. Catherine nodded her understanding and changed her grip careful of the edge of the blade. Rashid raised his arm and with a flick of his wrist sent his blade flying to the target. It spun lazily in the air before impacting with the target, close to the centre.

Catherine had watched his actions closely.

"Your turn." He said.

She raised the knife and considered throwing with all her might; whilst they were close to the tree the knife still felt heavy. But then she changed her mind. Looking at the target, which she imagined to be Treize's chest the bulls eye his heart. Her eyes narrowed and with a flick of her wrist the knife left her hand and flew towards the target. With a thwack it struck.

The Maganacs were silent in their surprise, then called congratulations to Catherine for her strike. Catherine's mouth opened in surprise. Not only had she hit the target, she had struck it in the centre. If it had been Treize he would be dead.

"Well done." Rashid said, "You have natural skill."

Clapping sounded behind them and Catherine turned to see most of the party observing her. She expected a rebuke from Lucrezia and hung her head waiting, but to her surprise Lucrezia came forward.

"May I have a turn?" she asked. "I have a good eye. I used to shoot with father." Rashid bowed and presented a knife to her. Lucrezia aimed and threw. She struck the tree but was wide of the target. She nodded to Catherine acknowledging her superior skill. Relena was next to try. Her throw went wide, completely missing the tree and sending Duo scurrying out of the way. Relena held her hands over her eyes in fright, and when she peeked through them she saw the knife had ended up embedded in the soil between Heero's feet. Her hands slid from her eyes to her mouth in horror and she started to apologise. Heero casually bent down and retrieved the knife, returning it to her.

"Try again?" he asked and Relena shook her head.

"I shall." Lady Une took the knife from Heero's hand. Her voice was oddly strained, it had lost the tranquil dreamy quality it had before and now sounded harsh. She threw the knife hard, and it sliced through the air just in front of Heero's face before the tree stopped its flight.

"Well done Lady." Treize said, but Une looked cross that it had not been as perfect a throw as Catherine had made.

Catherine smiled broadly as on her second throw she managed another bulls eye, thus proofing her first throw not to be a fluke.

"Lord Kushrinada." Relena asked "Would you have a turn?"

Treize shook his head "I am better with swords than with knives" he said "And now I am afraid my dear cousin Miss Catalonia is tired so we must depart." Treize took Relena's hand and kissed it in farewell.

"I am looking forward so much to the ball" he said loudly enough so that Heero could hear him "Please save me the first three dances." Relena nodded her assent seeing no polite way of refusing and she noted that Lucrezia looked pleased that the earlier unpleasantness had now been swept away.

Treize and his party then departed, whilst the remaining members of the party boarded their carriages and waited for the empty hampers to be stowed. Relena, Lucrezia shared a carriage back to Sanq Hall, sharing with Catherine and Dr Willerby, who by this time had fallen into a deep sleep. His florid jowl and chins vibrated with both the movement of the carriage and with his loud snores.

Lucrezia held Relena's hand as they travelled. "I am so glad we had our talk earlier." She said. "And I want to tell you another reason why I have been so ill tempered." She smiled and whispered to Relena "My condition of late is delicate."

"...delicate?" Relena felt sudden excitement and joy.

"Yes, my dear, you shall be an aunt by spring next year." Lucrezia touched her hand to her still flat stomach.

 

 

*House of Lords. As a peer, Heero is entitled to sit in the House of Lords on the basis of his title.

**Edward Baines, MP for Leeds. B 1800, d 1890., extract from History of the Cotton Manufacture in Great Britain published 1835. In this book Mr Baines, attacked those who campaigned against child labour.