Seduction by kmf

 

Chapter 8

 

When the evening of the ball finally arrived, Lucrezia was satisfied that she had forgotten nothing. A quartet of musicians had been employed to play piano, cornet, violin and cello and they had set up their instruments in the very far corner of the ballroom. Currently they were playing promenade music for the enjoyment of the guests. That would change to dance music as soon as Lucrezia indicated that most of the guests had arrived.

There was no formal supper associated with this ball, but a side room had been set up as a refreshment room. In it were several large tables that had been covered with bright white linen table clothes. An assortment of finger foods had been provided, including biscuits, cakes, cracker-bonbons, cold tongues, cold chicken and sandwiches. Nothing needed carving; the chickens had already been cut and were held together with ribbons. Once people were ready to eat the ribbons would be cut and the meat served. Refreshments of tea, coffee and ices would also be served by request to the maids attending the room.

Two small rooms had also been set aside as cloak rooms, one for the ladies and one for gentlemen. Lucrezia had organised maids in each to receive shawls and cloaks. She had had foresight enough to arrange for tickets to be given to guests, the counterfoil of which would be pined to their garment. Lucrezia had on more than one occasion left a function in a cloak that was not her own and she did not want to subject any of her guests to that annoyance. In the ladies cloak room two large mirrors had also been installed, together with supplies of hair pins, dress pins, needles and thread. It was not unheard of for a lady to have flounces torn from her dress by a clumsy dance partner and Lucrezia did not want anyone to leave because their dress was ruined.

And now Lucrezia stood triumphant by the door of the ballroom greeting guests who were being announced loudly by a footman as they entered the room. She felt supremely confident that she had forgotten nothing and that she would make Millardo proud. Lucrezia glanced up at her husband standing tall beside her. Millardo was smiling at her. He bent down and whispered in her ear.

"You look almost ethereal tonight" his breath tickled her ear and she smiled back.

She had spent a lot of time preparing herself for tonight, and she knew that her toilette was flawless. Lucrezia would not dance much tonight; as hostess it was her duty to guide single men to wallflowers and so had dressed in a more restrictive gown than one would normally wear to a ball. The emerald green skirt was quite narrow, with only a few tucks at the high waist giving it any width at all. Though it looked simple from the front, the back was where the details of the dress shone. Attached to the high back waistline was a long train of material that trailed behind her with courtly elegance. The long sleeves were puffed at the shoulders and then tight to the wrists. The neckline was square and low, but not daringly so. Lucrezia had never liked her bosom exposed, and was even more aware of its prominence since becoming with child. Indeed, the bust in her gown had had to be let out to accommodate her newly expanded chest.

Around her neck she wore a very simple gold chain and from that suspended a plain gold cross. From her ears hung gold drop earrings that had been a wedding gift from Millardo. Her hair had been elaborately styled, a simple bun on her head had been transformed by plaiting strands and weaving them around the twisted knot. The hair was secured by diamond hairpins, which sat beautifully in her dark hair and flashed when they caught the candlelight. Her hands were covered with the finest white kid gloves, a spare pair were tucked in her reticule in case the first became soiled. She held a paper fan upon which were printed a list of the dances for the evening. All ladies arriving were being presented such a fan together with a dance card in which to record dance partners. Lucrezia had even gone to the trouble of having little pencils attached to the dance cards with red silk ribbons.

"Thank you." Lucrezia whispered back before greeting another guest.

 

 

* * *

 

 

Duo stood watching people arrive with interest. The little heiress had not made her entrance yet, although the mural at one end of the room had almost fooled him and had surprised a number of others. It was only when you got close to the picture that you realised that Miss Peacecraft was not standing alone in inappropriate clothing for a ball. Duo smirked as yet another couple walking towards it suddenly stopped and turned to walk the other way. He lowered his eyes as they looked towards him, unable to stop smiling. He pulled his white waistcoat down in an effort to regain his sobriety, before looking up again. The couple had moved on.

Duo fidgeted again. The only unpleasant thing about balls was the formal dress men were required to wear. Frock coats were currently in vogue, the length long to the knees. They were uncommonly hot and Duo knew he would just get more uncomfortable once the dancing started. He wore matching black trousers, and his shiny bowed shoes were also black. In contrast his waistcoat, shirt, neck cloth and gloves were snowy white. The only ornamentation allowed was a fob watch chain attached to his waistcoat and some inconspicuous gold cufflinks. Duo looked towards Heero. They could be in uniform, he thought. Every man in the room was basically wearing the same black outfit with white waistcoat. It was like being in the army, except there was no sign of insignia to rank the troops. Heero looked towards him and caught him grinning again. Heero frowned, but Duo was unapologetic. He could not help but look at these high social gatherings in a slightly off beat way.

Duo began perusing the young ladies who were starting to mill around. Whilst Heero had a mission to try and dance with Miss Peacecraft, Duo's evening was completely open and he intended to enjoy himself. Duo spotted Lady Une escorted in my Lord Kushrinada. Lady Une was hard to miss. She alone in the ballroom was wearing a vibrant red gown that appeared to be satin by the way it reflected the light. A brave thing to do, Duo thought. Perhaps Lady Une was not as shy and retiring as he had thought during their first meeting. Indeed, she did not act shy and retiring. Her smile was almost feral as she looked around the room seeming to dare comment. She had forgone the paper fan that all other ladies sported, instead had one of what appeared to be ostrich feathers dyed to the same colour as her dress. The dress itself was cut exceedingly low at the front and the edge not softened by any insert of lace.

"She is going to catch her death of cold." Duo said quietly to Heero.

"No, she is." Heero answered, nodding in the direction of another lady: Miss Dorothy Catalonia.

The lady in question was wearing what ought to have been a modest gown of fine pink muslin covered with sheer gauze to lighten it. Its neckline was high, much higher than other ladies in the room. It should have been completely demur. However, Miss Catalonia, in a style all her own, had embellished the gown by dampening the material slightly. The effect was that the muslin clung to her curves leaving little to the imagination.

Dorothy walked over to Heero and Duo and curtsied. The men bowed back and Dorothy smiled.

"I am looking forward to a most entertaining evening from you Lord Yuy." she said. Heero made no comment, but raised an eyebrow questioningly. "Do not be coy, this night could see you wining or loosing the bet. Please do not disappoint me." She fanned her face with her paper fan. "I expect you to put up a glorious fight against Trieze's attack."

"My cousin will do his best." Duo said firmly when it seemed that Heero was not going to reply. Indeed it appeared that Heero was paying no attention at all to Miss Catalonia, but was watching the other milling guests. Dorothy pursed her lips in annoyance.

Quatre approached and Dorothy's expression changed from annoyed to cautious. Quatre was in the standard uniform of the men in the room, forgoing his native clothes for the formality of the occasion. He wore the costume well and did look comfortable even in the elaborately tied necktie that irritated Duo so much.

"Miss Catalonia!" Quatre beamed to see her, then noticed her damp clinging dress and blushed. Dorothy preened visibly at Quatre noticing her curves, until, that is, Quatre said "Oh dear, I did not realise it had turned inclement."

Dorothy's mouth opened in shock and it was all Duo could do to stop himself laughing.

"Come, please, Miss Catalonia" Quatre said "Come and stand with me by the fire so that you warm up."

Dorothy was so flabbergasted that Quatre perceived her dress to be the sad result of an accident, that she allowed herself to be led away.

"Miss Schbeiker, Miss Peacecraft" A footman intoned and Duo turned away from the sight of Dorothy trying to get Quatre to go away, eager to see how enchanting the heiress was tonight.

Relena stood in the doorway dressed in a palest blue watered silk dress. Its skirt was short and came only to her ankles, the hemline gathered up at regular intervals to produced a scalloped effect. At each point of gathering clusters of white roses were adorned that appeared to be real, but were in fact silk imitations. The sleeves where short and puffed and she wore long tight gloves that left only an inch of skin visible between glove and dress. The neckline was low, but softened with an inset of fine gauze. Miss Peacecraft wore no jewellery. Her hair was elegantly twisted on her head, with some fine curled tendrils loose framing her face. Roses matching those on her dress adorned her hair in a circlet. Her face was smiling and confident, she looked serene.

Duo looked at the girl beside her, and stood straighter. Miss Schbeiker looked nervous, she was clutching her paper fan so tightly it looked like it was going to be unusable. Relena put her hand on the lady's arm and led her in to greet Lucrezia. Duo watched the way Miss Schbeiker walked, liking what he saw. She smiled at Lucrezia and Duo found himself smiling too. The lady's face was small and delicate, in fact all of her looked delicate. But also strong. Duo found himself intrigued and started moving closer.

Miss Schbeiker was wearing lavender and her skirt was as short as Relena's. The bodice of the dress was plain at the front, but when she turned Duo could see that the back was embellished with a complicated series of tucks causing the skirt to be fuller at the back. The sleeves were also short and her gloves were snowy white, long and tight. Her hair was an abundance of curls, and appeared to be quite short. A lavender silk bandanna bound the curls in place in Grecian style. Her feet were encased in slippers that were the same colour as her dress, secured with ribbons that tied around her ankles. Duo's grin widened. And what fine ankles they were, he thought.

Duo suddenly realised that Heero was moving forward with him, and that Treize on the other side of the room was also moving closer. Luckily Heero was closer and Treize could not, with decorum, run over to beat him to Relena. Duo pulled at his waistcoat again before catching Relena's eye as she moved away from Lucrezia. That's a girl, Duo thought as Relena looked his way and smiled. She caught her companion's arm and moved toward them.

"Lord Yuy, Mr Maxwell' Relena curtsied "I am so pleased to see you both here. Please let me introduce to you a good friend of mine, Miss Hilde Schbeiker."

Hilde curtsied whilst Heero and Duo bowed.

"Miss Peacecraft" Heero began "Would you be free for the first dance?" he asked. Duo smirked a little, seeing that Treize was no closer having been intercepted by some old crone of a woman and what appeared to be her ageing spinster daughter.

"I am sorry, but I am taken." Relena said through lowered lashes. Duo was surprised. How could she be taken; she had only just entered the room, she had not spoken to anyone. He glanced towards Treize who smirked back at him. Heero, if annoyed, hid it well.

"Have you any dances free?" he asked again and Relena nodded.

"The first three are taken, but I am free there after." She said, consulting the dance book.

"May I have the pleasure of the next three?" Heero asked.

Duo almost blanched. That was daring. By dancing three times with someone you were expressing an interest in him or her. A fourth dance indicated serious intention. But did Miss Peacecraft know that? She made no sign as she solemnly entered his name into her book. Duo looked at Hilde who was regarding him closely. She was such a pretty little thing he thought. Duo put on the charm

"Would you do me the honour of dancing with me for the first dance?" he asked and grinned when she agreed. He was going to enjoy this evening.

 

 

* * *

 

 

Heero had watched Relena closely as she danced with Treize. She reminded him a lot of his sister ñ not physically, but the way she cared for people, her innocence and her trust of people. Helena trusted Treize and Treize had betrayed that trust by sending her to an asylum as soon as the first symptoms of madness appeared. Heero would not let Treize betray another innocent. Heero was fairly confident that Relena saw Treize's true nature and would not be swayed by his charm, but he was concerned that she had accepted three dances from him. Especially because they were the first three.

The time seemed to drag, the first dance being particularly long. Heero refused to converse with people, but stood at the side of the ballroom, arms crossed watching Relena. The second dance was not so long and involved a good deal of partner swapping. Still Heero made no move. Relena seemed to enjoy this dance more and smiled at fleeting partners as she spun around the circle before returning to Treize. With Treize she did not smile, but kept her eyes downcast. This encouraged Heero.

The third dance seemed to never end. Relena still did not talk to Treize, no matter how much he tried to get her to. Finally Treize seemed to give up and was as silent as she was. Heero was getting to the point where he was going to threaten the musicians if they did not wind the dance up soon, when it finally ended. Heero moved and walked up to Relena to claim her from Treize. Treize glared at him, but made no protest, and moved off to partner Lady Une.

Relena's face had lit up when she saw Heero approach, which Heero felt gratifying. But, Heero reminded himself, he was here for the purpose of winning the bet and that was all. As the quartet started the next dance Heero found himself keenly anticipating the intricate moves. This time was his.

In contrast to his experience of watching Relena and Treize, the dances he partnered Relena with passed very quickly and before he knew it they were dancing the sixth. As Heero partnered Relena he watched her closely trying to ascertain just what it was about her that disturbed him so much. As they crossed past each other moving to the other side of the line her gown brushed his legs and once again he felt a disturbing feeling of need.

Need of what, he wondered to himself watching her neck arch gracefully as she dipped in curtsey to the next gentleman along the line before they repeated the same pattern of movement returning them to their original place. Heero ached to touch her, but every time his finger tips brushed against hers it just left him needing more. She had returned to her place in line and now Heero moved forward to dance with the next woman along. He had no eyes for his current partner and kept finding his eyes gravitating back to Relena who stood quietly waiting for his set to end before entering the dance again.

"This is your third dance Lord Yuy. Achieve a fourth and you win your bet"

Heero was startled to find his current partner was Dorothy. She spoke in a whisper discretely so that no other could hear. Heero nodded curtly. His movements returned him to the line where he paused for two beats then moved forward to meet Relena in the middle again.

Once more they touched and once more Heero had difficulty concentrating. What was it about her, he asked himself yet again. He fumbled a step and Relena smiled at him sympathetically.

The music came to an end and Heero presented an arm for Relena to take. He caught Dorothy watching closely and felt dry mouthed. Part of him did not want to continue with this game. Relena was an innocent in all this intrigue and if he asked her to dance a fourth time and she agreed she all but stated to the world that she was enamoured with him and him with her. But he had no intention of continuing this romance once he had won. He could not continue. Even though she was forever leaping into his thoughts. He must not continue, it would not be moral to do so.

A fourth dance and the bet would be over. But if he did not ask her to dance then he could continue to visit her, and enjoy her company. Heero shook his head. Why was he thinking things like that? It was just a bet, Relena was just the subject of a bet. Nothing more. Nothing. Heero looked at her profile as they walked halfway around the room in line with correct ballroom conduct. She was so pretty. And kind. And innocent. He could not play with her emotions anymore. He would thank her for the dance and then leave her.

Just at the moment he decided his action, Treize appeared in front of them. Heero's stomach tightened as he watch the man bow to his Relena.

"Miss Peacecraft, would you do the honour of giving me the next dance?" Treize asked.

"I had just asked Miss Peacecraft the same question." Heero said quickly. As soon as he uttered the words he wanted to shake himself. He had done what he promised himself he would not do just to irritate Treize. In reality he was no better than Treize, he was using Relena for his own purposes just as Treize used Helena.

Relena looked hesitantly at Heero, obviously surprised as he certainly had not made any mention of another dance. Heero could not look her in the eye, dreading that she would accept him but somehow dreading more that she would turn him down. She looked back at Treize.

"I am sorry Lord Kushrinada, but Lord Yuy asked me first."

Heero blinked, momentarily happy that she had accepted his request rather than Treize's. Treize bowed and stalked away, and Heero smiled in satisfaction. The music started, bringing Heero back to the moment. He bowed to Relena, but made no comment on her statement to Treize, just as she made no comment on his. Heero led her back to the dance floor.

For a while as they dipped and swayed to the music Heero allowed himself to think of the future as he would like it. A future with Relena as his wife, with healthy children, and of growing old together. A future filled with peace and happiness.

Then he remembered the poison that ran in his blood, he remembered his mothers delusional ranting as she died from typhus. He remembered how his sister had in madness thrown herself out of an upper window of the asylum where she was interred.

How could he tell Relena, Heero thought as they circled and dipped again to the slow steady beat of the music. How could he tell her of the madness that ran in his family and that he would pass on to any children he would sire. Heero felt himself burn with mortification and shame. How could he ask her to be with him when there was every possibility that he too might loose his sanity as his sister had.

Heero still carried Dr Willerby's letter informing him of the diagnosis he had made on his sister, the letter that made him return to England in such a hurry. But not quickly enough to save her from the wretched fate that awaited her inside the asylum. Heero recalled Dr Willerby's words exactly: "Beware, for when a child suffers from madness there is every possibility the siblings will too. There was weak blood on your mother's side. Look for the signs."

Heero had only told one person about the letter, about the possibility that he too could go mad. That person was Duo, and he had only told him because he needed someone to act if he did go mad. Heero would not waste away in an asylum, he would want to die swiftly as his sister had. Heero had made Duo promise that if Heero did become incapacitated by madness, then Duo would make swift arrangements for Heero's early demise. Duo had reluctantly agreed, knowing that it was of the utmost importance to Heero.

Relena's hand brushed his again and Heero was bought back to the present. No, he could not subject her to a life of looking after a mad husband and he could not bear the thought of passing on the traits to yet another generation. It would be scandalous that he did not pursue Relena now that he had had his four dances, but Relena would survive; she was strong. And the blame would mostly be on Heero and he did not care what society thought. He would leave after the dance was over; he would not see her again.

For the last few bars of the dance he allowed himself to return to that wonderful fantasy world and then as the final chord was struck, it was over.

Heero walked Relena back to the side of the room, bowed and left without a backwards glance.

 

* * * *

 

Dorothy and Quatre had been dancing the seventh dance as well, although Dorothy's eyes had been mainly on Heero and Relena. Quatre observed her with sad eyes, smiling when she occasionally made eye contact with him.

Dorothy watched Heero's face and stance closely. He was at one point looking almost serene as he danced, almost dreamy. Dorothy frowned never expecting to associate ëdreamy' with Heero. As she watched she suddenly realised that Heero was regarding Relena with love; he loved the girl.

"Ah, you sense it too." Quatre said quietly as they met in the middle of the set again.

Dorothy's shock turned to anger. This was not supposed to happen! The purpose of the bet was to bring Heero's attention to her, not Relena. Heero was a strong man, a challenging man, a sexual man. Dorothy had long found him attractive and had on many occasions tried to draw his attention to her. By giving him the opportunity to thwart Treize, she had thought that she would gain his interest and in time his regard. She had hoped that he would see her as an equal and be impressed by her strength. But no, here he was mooning over some silly helpless child. Dorothy felt sick as she saw Relena smile at Heero through lowered eyelashes. No! she mentally shrieked This cannot be. This will not be!

"Miss Catalonia?" Quatre was now regarding her warily and Dorothy realised that he must have been asking her a question that she had failed to answer.

"I am fine." She purred "I think I just need some refreshments, it is so very hot."

Quatre looked at her dubiously and Dorothy knew that somehow this odious little Arab knew what she was feeling. It was really too irritating. As the dance finished Dorothy allowed herself to be led away to the refreshments room. A plan was already formulating in her mind. She would save Heero from the insipid little Miss Peacecraft and Heero would, in time, thank her for it. And gratitude meant debt.

As soon as they entered the room of milling people, Dorothy spotted Duo and Hilde. Dorothy all but dragged Quatre in their direction.

"Tea!" she said hauntily to Quatre who, after looking at her in a strange way, went to oblige.

"Ah, Mr Maxwell." Dorothy began loudly as soon as Quatre had moved away. "Congratulation are in order, sir!"

Dorothy saw fear in Duo's eyes. He knew exactly what she was about to do and was powerless to prevent it from happening.

"You and Lord Yuy have won your bet." Dorothy pitched her voice a little louder so that it carried across the room. Dorothy was satisfied when she ascertained that the hum of conversation around her had diminished; people were listening. Duo was watching her wide eyed and she could almost hear his mental pleas for her to remain quiet. Miss Schbeiker was looking puzzled at Duo's expression. "Lord Yuy has won Miss Peacecraft's heart, so you have won your wager. I shall arranged for the monies to be transferred to your accounts when I am next in town."

All conversation stopped and Dorothy relished all eyes upon her. Miss Schbeiker quietly put her glass down and looked at Duo questioningly. Duo did not look at her, and the statement was confirmed to Hilde's satisfaction. Swiftly she walked away unescorted in search of Relena. Duo hesitated for a moment, before saying through clenched teeth.

"Keep the money."

Duo moved swiftly away in pursuit of Hilde.

Dorothy felt her moment of triumph slip away. It was not as satisfying as she had hoped. People were moving away from her as if she was a social pariah. She felt a touch on her arm and turned to see Quatre regarding her with pity in his eyes.

"Miss Catalonia, what have you done?"

Dorothy blinked and saw her reflection in his wide clear blue eyes. She saw that he was supremely disappointed in her. The silly man was disappointed and sorry for her.

"Spare me your pity!" she growled "And kindly do not tell me off as if I was a four year old."

Quatre continued to stare at her with large earnest eyes. Dorothy tired to glare back but found that the effort was just too much. She closed her eyes and then a few seconds later when she reopened them she found that he had left. She was completely alone in the room.

Feeling an unfamiliar dampness on her face, she reached up and wiped away a tear. Dorothy stared at her finger in wonder; she never cried.

So why was she crying now?

 

* * * *

Hilde looked around the room trying to locate Relena. She had to tell her the rumour that Dorothy had started before it reached her ears through gossip. Unfortunately she could not see her friend anywhere. Hilde felt a hand on her arm and turned to see Duo.

"Please, Miss Schbeiker." He started, but she shook his arm way in irritation.

"I have nothing to say to you Mr Maxwell." Hilde said sternly looking up at him. "You entered into a heartless bet without care or consideration for Miss Peacecraft."

"But-"

"No buts, if you please sir!" Hilde frowned "And kindly remove your hand!" she looked pointedly back down at his hand, which somehow had managed to clutch her arm again. Duo complied, aware that they were beginning to gain attention from the others in the ball room.

Quatre approached.

"Where is Miss Peacecraft?" he asked, looking around. His normally clear blue eyes were cloudy with worry. "Something is wrong."

Hilde sighed with exasperation "Of course something is wrong! She is about to be humiliated in front of this crowd." She started walking through the people again, Duo and Quatre at her heels, before pausing when she caught sight of Millardo entering the room. He looked pale and a little stunned. "Oh dear!" Hilde said biting her lip "He knows."

The watched as Millardo paused and started to talk to a gentleman near the door. Millardo's face froze, his eyes narrowed. He started to look around the ballroom in anger.

"No." Duo said "Now he knows."

Hilde moved again to Millardo who had, in turn, moved towards Duo.

"Where is your cousin?" Millardo demanded, trying to keep his voice low, but obviously having great difficulty.

Duo fought the urge to step back a pace as Millardo glared at him. "I honestly do no know." He said.

Millardo stared at Duo trying to ascertain whether he told the truth. Gradually he unclenched his fists and turned to Hilde. "Miss Schbeiker, I would be grateful for a favour." Millardo said "Please will you go up and sit with Relena, she is in the music room. I know that she would be grateful for the company."

Hilde felt her heart sink. Relena had found out already. Hilde moved to comply but Quatre held up a hand to halt her.

"Millardo, what has happened?" he asked.

At first Hilde thought that Quatre must be more than a little dim, but then she realised that something else had occurred. She looked back at Millardo who was now obviously in distress.

"Mrs Darlian, Relena's mother, has died."

 

To be continued....