Symbol of Honor
Chapter 2: If you thought a Quatra on the Zero system was bad, you haven't met an angry Relena, have you?
By Lady Saffir
Rating:G/PG
DISCLAIMER:(sung to the Oscar Mayer hot-dog song, and quite off-key) Eh hem.... Oh, I wish I were a Gundam Wing owner, for that is what I'd really like to be, For if I owned this really awesome cartoon, Then I'd be rolling in lots of sweet money! *****************************************************


People were used to Heero Yuy walking in Monday morning with a scowl. They were even used to the slight smirk that he some times wore. However, they were not prepared for the sight that greeted them this morning.

Heero Yuy was wearing a smile.

He was also whistling.

And he actually said good morning to his secretary as he walked passed her.

Suddenly aware of the silence that surrounded him, Heero turned, his customary scowl crossing his features.

"What is everyone looking at?" he growled.

Relieved that the world wasn't ending after all, the normal Monday morning chatter resumed, happy to oblige Heero.

Wufei, having just returned from the coffee table, scowled at his fellow Preventer. Something fishy was going on, and he didn't like it. He was sure that whatever it was, it would lead to total chaos, with him being sucked into it. Sniffing, Wufei silently vowed to avoid Heero, and Relena, at all costs for the next couple of days.

Trowa, already at work, merely looked out of his door, his features unreadable. He would patiently wait for Heero to announce the reason behind his actions. And he was confident that his patience would outlast that of Heero's.

Quatra, taking Heero's smile as a good sign, merely nodded at Heero as he passed him. He had a meeting with Relena later today; perhaps then he could coax some information out of her.

Duo, however, was another matter entirely. He was confident that if he pestered and badgered the silent man enough, the happy news would eventually leak out. His actions decided, he sauntered up to Heero, slinging a friendly arm about the other's shoulders.

"Hey, Heero buddy! Have a good weekend?"

Heero, wary of Duo's actions, merely nodded. If he knew Duo, the other man would quickly come to the point. And probably just as quickly give Heero a headache. With a sigh he headed for the coffee, Duo tagging along.

"So, how's 'Jousan?" Duo asked, leaning nonchalantly against the counter.

Heero shot his friend an unreadable look.

"All right," he answered neutrally. Deciding that this would probably be the best time to ask the other man to dinner, Heero stilled his nerves and forged ahead.

"Actually, we have something we need to talk to you about. Do you think that you and Hilde could make it to dinner tomorrow night?"

Taken aback by his friend's request, Duo let his mouth gape open for a moment.

"S,sure," he stuttered. "Um, is it really important?"

"Extremely," Heero answered solemnly. He was banking on Duo telling the entire office about the dinner, and thus piquing their curiosity enough to make them all conveniently show up at his apartment tomorrow night. At least, he hoped that was how it would work out.

"Well," he said, glancing at his watch, "I've got some field work that I've got to take care of. Remember, tomorrow night, seven o'clock, my place."

Duo watched as the other man walked away, his eyes narrowed in thought. A sudden idea crossed his mind, leaving Duo in shock as to the enormity of the situation.

"Oh my god," he whispered. "I bet she's pregnant."

"Who are you talking to, Duo?"

Duo jumped at the voice, whirling to face a worried looking Sally Po.

"Call a meeting, Sally," he said grimly. "We've got a problem."



"And that's about it," Duo finished up. Silence descended for a moment before Quatra spoke up.

"You know," he said hesitantly, "Relena just called to cancel our meeting, and she sounded kind of...strange."

Duo nodded.

"We haven't seen a lot of her recently either. And Heero's been acting weird for the past couple of days. I actually had to repeat myself the other day."

Duo glanced around the group, his eyes finally settling on Sally's. At his questioning look she nodded her head.

"You want us to tag along, just in case something sets Heero off?"

"You got it! After all, he gets a little trigger happy when it comes to Relena."

Wufei spoke up from his corner.

"I don't like. I just know something's going to happen and we're going to have to pull his butt out of the fire," he declared.

Smiling sweetly at her husband of three months, Sally continued, turning to face Lucrezia Noin.

"I trust you can get Zechs there without a problem?"

Noin frowned, then answered.

"Yes, I'll just tell him that Heero invited everyone over for dinner. That shouldn't make him too suspicious."

Sally nodded, then turned to face everyone.

"So it's decided? We'll all conveniently show up at Heero's at...what time?"

"Seven," Duo supplied.

"Seven it is, then. Meeting adjourned."


Some time later Heero picked up the phone, really not wanting to make the phone call. Remembering why he was doing this, he slowly punched in the personal number, waiting for Sally to pick up.

"Yes?"

"Sally, it's Heero. Would you mind telling Une that I'm taking the rest of today and tomorrow off?" Heero gritted his teeth, waiting for the questions to start. To his surprise, only one followed.

"Sure. Should I give her a reason?"

Heero silently exhaled, rubbing a hand across his face.

"Just tell her...it's personal."

He could just see her perk up at that bit of information.

"Personal? Today and tomorrow? Not a problem. Talk to you later," she ended, closing the line between them.


Heero eyed the buggy warily. Yesterday afternoon had been spent Christmas shopping, and this morning had found Relena insisting on accompanying him to the grocery store. While he conceded the point that Duo ate a lot, there was no way it was humanly possible to eat this much food in one week, let alone one day.

Shrugging philosophically, Heero let Relena guide him down the next isle. If worse came to worse, he'd just have Duo over that weekend. That's how he usually got rid of his leftovers anyway.

"Heero?"

With a start, Heero realized that Relena had asked him a question. Now what did she want?

"Heero. Do you use frozen vegetables in your fried rice, or fresh?"

Ouch. That kind of hurt. As if he would dare use second-rate products in his food. You'd think after all this time Relena would know better.

"Please," he snorted, "I only use the freshest ingredients available."

Rolling her eyes, Relena stifled a groan.

"Well, then, O Great One, go pick out your chosen tools while I get the drinks," she said sarcastically, before heading down another isle.



"Mission...complete," Heero gasped as he staggered into his kitchen. The sheer amount of food that he had bought was staggering, leaving him to wonder where to store it all.

Relena breezed past him, carrying a small bag containing bread in one hand, and a gallon of milk in the other. Humming to herself, she set to emptying the bags of groceries onto the kitchen table.

"What are you humming?" Heero asked from the seat he had taken. The multiple trips to the car hadn't really worn him out; he was simply enjoying the sight before his eyes. Watching Relena flit from place to place, Heero could only marvel at how...domestic she looked.

"Hmm? Oh, nothing. It's just a song I heard Quatra playing the other day."

Slipping up behind her, Heero encircled her waist with his arms, gently swaying back and forth.

"If you like it that much, why don't we ask Quatra to play it at the wedding?" He asked.

Relena stopped suddenly, then turned to face him.

"Actually," she began hesitantly, "I was thinking that we could have a Shinto wedding...if you want," she added.

It was Heero's turn to stare in shock.

"But...you aren't Shintoist," he replied.

"Erm, yes, well..." Relena trailed off, trying to find the best way to tell him of her decision. Several options came and went before she decided upon the direct approach. Taking a deep breath, she answered him.

"I was going to convert, sort of as a, well, as a wedding gift to you," she whispered.

Heero was rooted in place. His heart, which he had previously thought full of love for this slip of a woman, now seemed to burst at the seams. That she, knowing full well how much his religion meant to him, was willing to give up her own for his sake, was almost incomprehensible. Crushing her to him, Heero thought for a moment, then spoke.

"Do you mean it, Relena? You would do that...for me?"

Tilting her head back, Relena looked at him, love shining in her eyes.

"Of course, silly. You have only to ask, and I will try my best to accomplish whatever it is," she replied.

Pulling her even closer, if such a thing was possible, he bent his dark head to her fair one, capturing her lips in a long, passionate kiss. An idea crossed his mind, and he pulled back to look at her.

"It isn't fair that you should give up on your dream of a large wedding. Why don't we have the Shinto ceremony be a private affair, then have the largest Western wedding the world and colonies have ever seen, open to the public. What do you say?" he asked, inwardly biting his lip.

A smile danced across Relena's lips, lighting up her entire face.

"Really? You wouldn't mind all the publicity and everything?"

Heero nodded resolutely.

"Of course not. You know how much I enjoy crazed photographers, reporters shoving microphones everywhere, and nobles fawning all over you. Plus," he added, "that way we have the best of both worlds, and have an excuse to party twice as long," he answered.

Relena laughed at that, then twined her arms about his neck.

"Your mind works in mysterious ways," she whispered into his ear, silently enjoying the chill-bumps that surfaced across his arm. "And I think being married to you is going to be most interesting."


Heero looked at his clock, silently counting down. As the hour chimed seven, the doorbell rang, causing Heero to smile in response. Passing through the dining room, he smiled at the table, conspicuously set for fourteen.

Pausing before the front door, Heero took a deep breath, mentally preparing himself for the barrage of questions that he was sure would follow. After a silent count of five he then opened the door, pasting on an appropriately surprised expression to the sight before his eyes.

Before him stood a sheepish looking Duo and Hilde, followed by a slightly embarrassed Quatra, Dorothy on his arm, the ever silent Trowa, one stoic eyebrow raised, and a smiling Catherine, Sally, and Noin. Completing the group was a scowling Wufei and Zechs, with Lady Une standing off to one side. The only person that seemed to be missing was Iria, Trowa's wife and Quatra's sister.

"Glad I could count on you, Duo," was all Heero said as he opened the door further. "I wasn't quite sure whether or not you'd run your mouth, but I'm glad to see that my hunch was correct."

Heero turned just in time to see Hilde smack Duo on the back of the head, while everyone else simply glared. At that point Relena walked into the living room, an amused expression crossing her face.

"What, is everyone trying to perfect the patented 'Heero Yuy Glare of Death'?" she asked lightly, breaking the ice.

Sally smiled, crossing the room hug Relena.

"No, it's just that Duo had us thinking something terrible had happened to you, that's all," she replied.

Tilting her head to the side, Relena glanced at her brother, taking in the glares that he was sending Heero's way. Her smile widened.

"Let me guess. After talking to Heero, Duo automatically jumped to the conclusion that something was wrong. And I bet that he thought I was pregnant, too. Right?" she asked rhetorically, looking at each individual.

Duo's shoulders slumped forward as the glares increased.

"How'd you guess?" he asked weakly.

Heero suddenly re-appeared, having come from checking on the food.

"Why do you think I told you and made it sound like a big secret? I knew if we simply asked everyone over for dinner you guys would be suspicious. Although I see that Iria didn't make it," he stated calmly.

"Alexis wasn't feeling well, so she decided to stay home with her," Trowa replied, referring to his two year old daughter.
Duo having placed himself out of hand's reach, perked up as a thought crossed his mind.

"You did fix dinner, didn't you? And there's enough for everyone, right?" he asked eagerly, eyes alight with anticipation. Heero was the best cook that he knew, surpassing even Sally's abilities.

Relena laughed, then made shooing gestures toward the dining room.

"The food," she announced, "is served."



Duo sat back, a contented look crossing his features. Hilde laughed, leaning over to pat his gently bulging stomach.

"I trust you aren't going to explode?" she asked sweetly.

Duo smiled, stretching in his seat.

"Nope, give me a minute and I'll be ready for dessert. There is dessert, right?" he asked, shooting Relena a hopeful look.

"Of course!" she laughed, beginning to clear the table. Heading toward the kitchen, she paused, then glanced back over her shoulder.

"Heero, do you think you could give me a hand?" she asked casually.

Nodding, he picked up the rest of the dishes before following her into the kitchen.

Zechs glared after their retreating forms. Something wasn't right, his mind argued...

"Something isn't right," he voiced, earning a glare from his wife.

"Milliardo Peacecraft," she admonished, "stop being so paranoid. If something was wrong, Heero would let us know immediately!"

Wufei silently agreed with the older man, but kept quite after Sally gave him 'the look' as he deemed it. Oh yes, he knew that look well. It said, 'say something and you'll find yourself on the couch tonight, mister,'.

Inside the kitchen Relena giggled over the conversation.

"He knows!" she whispered.

"He suspects," Heero corrected.

In Relena's eyes, the two were the one and the same, when her brother was involved. She turned to Heero, her stomach tight with anticipation.

"Before or after desert?" she asked.

A small grin crossed Heero's lips.

"Oh, definitely before," he responded, before kissing her.

"Come on, it's time to face the crowd."

And so, armed with only three pies and thirteen forks, the couple prepared to do battle.



Relena bided her time, waiting until Heero was at the opposite end of the table from Milliardo. Everyone was chatting quietly, paying no attention to Relena. After placing Trowa's dessert in front of him, she spoke up.

"Heero and I are getting married."

Hmm. Well, that was one way to get their attention. All talk instantly stopped, ten pairs of eyes locked onto her, then swung to look at Heero. Wufei, however, simply closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose. He felt a headache coming on.

Relena, who had been glancing around the table, shifted her gaze to her brother as she saw him move. A red tinge was beginning to creep over his skin, and he jerked loose of Noin's restraining hand.

"I'm going to kill you!" he cried, leaping for the other man's throat.

Suddenly Relena was between them, one finger poking into her brother's chest. Glaring up at him, she accentuated each remark with a jab of her finger.

"Now you listen here, Milliardo Peacecraft! During the war I put up with a lot of your bullshit! Now you are going to like this, and you are going to be happy for me, for us."

"I'm sure I don't know what you mean," he sputtered.

Relena raised an eyebrow.

"Oh, no? See if this doesn't refresh your memory. How about when you had Noin watch over me, but wouldn't let her tell me why? Or how about the second time that you tried to kill Heero, when you knew damn well I liked him! And onboard Libra - care to explain that? I was virtually a prisoner, and not ONCE did you visit me or try to explain your actions! And after Heero defeated you; did you take that graciously? NO! You had to be the hero once again, and let me think that you were dead for two years! I've put up with your childish behavior enough! You are going to accept this, like it, and if I don't see you smiling whenever we talk about, I won't be responsible for anything that happens!"

With each accusation, Relena had forced Milliardo backwards, until his knees bumped into his chair. The last jab though, pushed him backwards, making him lose his balance and crash to the floor. Looking up at his sister from the floor, Milliardo could only stare in shock at his normally cheerful sibling.

He shuddered. Now, however, she was anything but, and he mentally glared at Heero. He was sure that this was all his fault; his sister had never had a temper before. She wore the same look that Heero had worn in battle - the one that said any obstacles would quickly be dealt with. And - here he shuddered again - not only had she perfected the 'Glare of Death', she had taken it to a whole other level.

"Good. Now sit up, shut up, and I only want to hear happy things come out of your mouth." Relena glared once more, then turned to finish serving dessert.

Silence descended for a minute, then Duo turned to look at a slightly smirking Heero.

"Well, buddy, I'd make sure that I never pissed her off," was all he had to say, before Hilde once more smacked the back of his head.

"Ow! Now what did I say, Hilde?"

**************************************************
Remember - e-mail me with your thoughts about the story!