Symbol of Honor
Chapter 3: If she doesn't want the money, can I have it?
By Lady Saffir E-mail: Rinoah7@cs.com
Rating: PG
"Kingdoms rise and fall, but only art is forever; thus another proverb from the mouth of Narsus." from The Heroic Legend of Arislan
DISCLAIMER: :( That face says it all; I don't own Gundam Wing.
*****************************************************

Relena danced about the living room, humming a soft melody to herself. Since announcing her semi-retirement, along with her engagement, each day seemed more peaceful. If life continued to get even better, she felt that she would completely retire within the month. After all, she had more important things to think about.

A knock, followed by the sound of the mail slot opening brought Relena out of her thoughts. Dodging the coffee table, she all but ran for the door. She loved getting mail - especially those oh-so-annoying sweepstakes entries. They were always worth a good laugh. Like she really needed even more money.

Today's mail proved to be no exception. Two magazines, the odd bill...Relena quickly grabbed the small box that had come, checking its contents. Good, Heero's Christmas present had come. Continuing through the mail, Relena came upon a plain white envelope. Simply addressed to 'Miss Relena Darlian Peacecraft', it bore no postmark. 'Strange,' Relena thought. 'It's a bit early for the Postman's Christmas card.'

Shrugging, Relena tore open the envelope, withdrawing a folded sheet of paper. Unfolding the parchment, Relena paled as she read its contents.


My Dearest Relena:

That was quite a waste of candles, don't you think? The proposal was very sweet though. However, don't you think that consuming an entire bottle of wine a bit much? Still, I suppose there was cause for celebration.

PS-I'm still watching...


Gasping, Relena clumsily picked up the telephone receiver, almost dropping it in her haste. Punching the speed-dial button, her eyes anxiously darted about the foyer as she listened to the telephone ring.



Heero tapped his pencil against the report, taking bets with himself as to how long Duo would keep talking. A soft beeping filled the air, and with a start, Heero realized that it was his cell phone. Waving at Duo to continue, he answered the call, slightly glad for the interruption.

"Heero?"

The sound of Relena's fear-laden voice made Heero instantly regret his previous thought.

"Relena? What's wrong?"

Quatra and Sally were shooting concerned looks in his direction. Trowa raised an eyebrow, while Wufei merely snorted. Heero was oblivious to them all as he focused on the sound of Relena' voice.

"Heero, I...there...I..." The sound of a crash, followed by Relena's scream, echoed through Heero's mind. Male laughter, low and taunting, faintly traveled across the line.

"Relena?! Relena!"

The meeting was abruptly forgotten as Heero stood, toppling his chair backward. At his cry every one had stood, each waiting for more information.

"What's happened to Relena?"

Swinging to face the question, Heero stared for a moment before his gaze focused on the four men that stood before him, each tensed, waiting to find out what had happened, each calmly planning revenge.

"I don't know," Heero replied coldly, before sprinting out of the meeting room.

Hopping onto his motorcycle, Heero hastily added his helmet while he turned on the machine. Gunning it, he peeled out of his parking space, barely missing the car that held Wufei, Sally, Duo, and Hilde.

Roaring out onto the street, Heero turned to look at the bike that rode abreast of him. The darkened eye shield prevented him from meeting the green eyes that he knew were looking at him. The driver nodded once before turning to face the road. Behind Trowa, Quatra clung to his friend, sparing Heero an uncertain smile.




Flying down the street that the Peacecraft residence faced, Heero quickly punched in the security code on the small keypad mounted on his motorcycle. Not even waiting for the gates to completely open, Heero pushed his bike through, shifting to a higher gear to allow for more speed. The ride up the long driveway seemed to take forever; however, Heero knew that in reality it only took seconds to reach the portico that covered the main entry.

Barely remembering to turn off his motorcycle, Heero grabbed his gun, absently checking the ammunition. Trowa and Quatra did the same before motioning Heero to proceed them. Cautiously approaching the front door, Heero flattened himself against the sidewall, waiting for his two companions to place themselves. At their nod, he quickly pushed open the door.

The sound that greeted their ears made Heero flinch. The human vocal cords were capable of producing a wide range of sounds, some more pleasant than others. This sound, though, was far from that. Keening noises that one might hear from a hurt animal floated through the air, occasionally interrupted by the strangled whimpers that broke through.

"Relena?"

Pushing his way inside, Heero allowed Trowa and Quatra to take watch as his entire attention was focused on the sight before him. Relena was lying on the marble floor, one arm flung out as if to fend an attacker off. Shallow cuts and slashes criss-crossed her body, blood pooling underneath her prone body. Her right arm was bent at an unnatural angle, a pale shard of bone protruding through the skin.

Heero took stock of her other injuries, noting the wide gash that crossed her normally smooth brow. The wound was still bleeding profusely, and with an oath Heero tore a piece of his shirt off to try and staunch the blood flow. Motioning Quatra over to hold the makeshift bandage, Heero continued his inventory, finally reaching Relena's left hand.

It was obvious that several deep cuts had been made to the tender flesh of the palm. The blood had begun to clot though, the alternating darker patches of dried blood uneasily floating on the still fresh blood that continued to leak slowly out of the wound.

At that point Sally arrived, medical bag in tow. With a no-nonsense attitude she set to work, quickly checking each and every contusion before applying an alcohol pad to the area. Gingerly skirting the broken arm, Sally picked up the left hand, wincing every time Relena twitched or whimpered.

"Concussion?"

Sally stopped for a moment, eyeing the head wound.

"Possible. Keep her awake and talking."

Really wishing that he could keep Relena out of pain's way, at least for a little longer, Heero bent to the uncomfortable task that he faced.

"Relena. Relena, I need you to open your eyes and look at me, ok?"

Dark lashes began to flutter against skin that Heero was sure hadn't been that pale yesterday. Her mouth opened and closed, trying to voice some unnamed word.

"...ro?"

"Yes, Relena! I'm right here. Listen to me. Sally's here and she's trying to help you, all right? So I need you not to move unless it really hurts."

With that, Relena slowly opened her eyes, wincing as the bright sunlight fell across her face. Trying to smile, Relena gave a small cry of pain as the movement tore at the broken skin. Wincing, Heero bent to place a feather light kiss on her nose, the only part of her face that was unhurt.

Movement caught Heero's eye as he turned to face a grim Sally. Nodding at her unvoiced request, he began to slowly ease his arms about Relena's fragile body. Each slight movement caused Relena to whimper slightly, squeezing her eyes shut tightly. Heero could only wince and murmur soothing words into her ear.

Crossing the threshold, Heero and Sally came face to face with a frowning Duo.

"We haven't found anything so far. Me, Trowa, Hilde and Quatra are gonna stay and help the police when they get here. We'll meet you guys at the hospital."




Heero was exhausted. The day had progressed from bad to worse, and it was only four in the afternoon. He wasn't quite sure that he could survive anything else. The doctor, with Sally attending, had immediately set to repairing Relena's broken arm. Heero had been by her side every step of the way, and had the battle scars to prove it.

He really had to have Relena cut her nails, he thought ruefully, as he examined the crescent shaped wounds on the back of his hands. The frown that tugged at his lips brought a sharp reminder of his torn lip. The sight of Relena, eyes wide with pain and something else that Heero couldn't quite place, begging him silently to do something, anything, had caused him to bite through his lip to keep from crying along with her.

For now, though, Relena was asleep, and Heero could drop the mask of pure concern that he had worn all day. In its place settled his battle face, his eyes hardening as he plotted how to find and kill Relena's attacker. While he understood and even managed to (barely!) sympathize with ordinary terrorists, he knew where they were coming from. After living with war for so long, it was hard to suddenly live in peace. And so they reacted the only way they knew how.

Yes, Heero decided, that was understandable and even acceptable. After all, they were basically signing his paycheck. What he could not forgive though, was this private assault on his and Relena's life. The general public understood the need for privacy, they respected it. This person...oh, this person had crossed the line, with far too large of a step.

Kissing Relena gently on the forehead, Heero turned to leave. The others were waiting for him so they could discuss everything that Duo and the others had found. Nodding to the private guard posted at the door, Heero stopped, eyeing the soldier more carefully. He had personally trained the new recruit, teaching him every trick that he knew. Heero was pleased to note that the young man, a boy, really, was carefully tracking all movement in the hallway.

"Guard her," he muttered as he passed by. He was rewarded with a crisp 'Sir!' as the guard snapped to attention.



Conversation broke off as he entered the small waiting room. Scattered about the area, each person was intently studying the police report provided to them.

Well, almost every person. At the sight of Heero, Milliardo Peacecraft stood, stalking over to stand face-to-face with his silent comrade. Interrupted from a meeting with government officials, Milliardo had begun to grow frantic at Hilde's babble until Duo had broken in, bluntly stating the emergency. Relena had been attacked. He was to meet them at the hospital.

"I'm going to see Relena."

Brushing past the former pilot, Milliardo stopped when Heero's voice reached his ears.

"Don't wake her up, Zechs."

Not even bothering to fully turn around, the older man simply turned his head to the side, then continued down the hallway, his steps ringing out against the tile flooring.

Heero eyed the retreating back coldly, only turning back into the room when a hand touched his shoulder in sympathy. Sally Po's worried face looked up at him, and Heero idly wondered when had he grown taller than this woman who had been his only trusted ally during the war. Sally smiled at him before leading him to a chair, placing herself in the one beside it.

Turning to flip through several medical charts, Sally quickly found the wanted picture, a photocopy of Relena's mangled left hand.

"Heero," she said quietly, "do you recognize this? It looks familiar, but I can't quite place it."

Heero felt a tidal wave of bitter emotions begin to well up in his heart. The attacker had known what he was doing when he set to work; the symbol had to be carved deeply enough into the flesh to ensure a permanent scare without threatening the health of the surrounding tissue. A tiny sprig of regret had begun to grow, yet Heero firmly squashed it with a mental stomp. Now was not the time for emotions. Only after this sick individual had been caught would he allow himself to fully feel what had happened.

Feeling the silent urging of his friends, Heero once again felt a tiny pang, and this time was unable to completely erase it. Relena would carry this wound with her forever, a gruesome reminder of one person's obsession.

"Heero? Do you know what it means?" Sally pressed.

Heero refused to meet anyone's eyes as he spoke.

"It means Death."



A stunned silence greeted his announce, then Duo jumped to his feet, fists clenched at his sides. Normally a cheerful man, Duo had grown to consider Relena as something as a much loved, and spoiled, younger sister. After the war, he and Heero had zealously guarded the privacy of the young peacekeeper, and Duo saw Relena's assault as a slap in the face.

"Death?! I don't think so! That's my trademark, and I'll be damned if I let some psycho take Relena before her time!"

Heero stood, his eyes tracking across the face of his best friend. Silently judging the honesty of his statement, Heero nodded his head once, a short jerky motion that sent wild, dark bangs skittering into his eyes.

Silence descended upon the room as the other occupants watched the two men. Never blinking, their gazes never wavering, another moment of silence passed before Heero held out his hand. Duo glanced down briefly, then looked back up as he firmly placed his own hand into that of his friend's. Neither were aware of anything else.

A cool breeze whispered past Heero's hand, followed by a comforting warmth. Turning his head to the side, the steady gaze of Quatra Raberba Winner looked back at him, blue eyes narrowed and cold. Relena had become Quatra's ally and confidant, a friendly face at otherwise dull, two-faced political meetings. This attack had happened against someone that was practically a member of the Winner family, and the Winner family did not easily forget past insults.

Following Quatra was Trowa, the silence surrounding the young man deeper than usual. He truly respected Relena; she was one of the few people that Trowa knew who would bravely stand by her friends no matter what was said against them. Following the tide of his thoughts came the image of his wife, and his stomach tightened as he realized just how easily it could have been Iria.

Wufei paused thoughtfully, his thoughts centered on the woman that had, at first, provoked only disgust from him. He thought that she knew nothing of honor, and debts that only blood could repay.

It had taken two and a half years for Relena to prove herself to him. Heero had insulted the memory of Meiran, in a way that could only be absolved through blood. And Heero, having accepted the challenge to duel, had known that blood would be shed.

The memory of the fight still caused Wufei to smile in grim satisfaction. It had been Heero who had underestimated his opponent, and Heero who had landed badly on his right ankle, causing it to twist with a loud crunching sound. About to deliver the final blow, Wufei had stopped in surprise and anger, when Relena suddenly appeared between them.

"Move aside, woman," he had growled.

Staring into her eyes, Wufei had not been able to find any trace of fear. Instead, he had found a fierce loyalty to the injured man, and a desire to understand what drove them to fight.

"I'm afraid that I cannot do that, Chang Wufei," she had replied calmly, coolly.

"It is a matter of honor that stands between us," he had begun, only to be interrupted.

"And is it honorable and commonly practiced among the Dragon Clan to strike a foe that cannot defend himself?" She had taunted, knowing full well that the Dragon Clan was no more.

His breath had turned into a gasp, his eyes narrowing in anger. Looking at her once more, it was then that Wufei realized what Relena had done. Knowing full well that honor must be protected, she had interfered, trying to show both men that while honor must be defended, anger did not necessarily have to wield the avenging sword.

Bowing respectfully to show her that he understood, he had once more drawn his katana, blade flashing in the sunlight, before him.

"You have insulted the memory of my ancestors," he had proclaimed, looking to her for weakness, and finding none.

"And for that, I am sorry, and ask that my honor be cleansed."

And so it had. Wufei carefully set the edge of his blade against her hand, cleanly slicing the soft skin. Blood had immediately begun to well from the cut, yet Relena made no move to bandage the injury until Heero too had littered the ground with his own blood.

Wufei's anger at Relena's attack intensified when he remembered that it had been her left hand that he had cut. Placing his own over that of Trowa's, he too nodded with understanding of what he had accepted. One of their own had been attacked, and they would track this assailant down, so that justice could be served.

And in their case, justice knew no mercy.




Sally worked very hard trying not to roll her eyes in disgust. Yes, Relena had been attacked. Yes, they were dealing with a crazed individual. And yes, she could understand that each man wanted to avenge Relena. But did they have to do it with so much testosterone?

On the heels of that thought came the sharp reminder that these men had not even reached their twentieth birthday yet, with the exception of Trowa. At the point in their lives when they should have been worrying about girlfriends and social events, they had had to focus on the bigger picture. Like staying alive.

About to speak up, Sally was glad when another distraction presented itself. Serenity Alexis Barton, most usually known as Alexis, rushed into the waiting room, making a beeline for her father.

"Daddy!"

Skidding to a halt, the perceptive two year old realized something important was happening, something that was making her daddy and uncles look unhappy. And if they were unhappy that usually meant that she was in trouble.

"Daddy?" She sniffled, trying to decide on whether full-blown tears were called for. About to wind up, Alexis squeaked in surprise when a pair of arms picked her up.

"What is it, Alexis?"

Remembering her mission, the small child shoved a plush toy into her father's face, when movement caught her eye. She saw her Uncle Heero looking out the window, a sad frown crossing his mouth.

After an impatient, "Daddy, down!", Alexis toddled across the room before wrapping herself about the leg of Heero. Wordlessly Heero picked her up, the two staring eye to eye before Alexis said,

"Lumpy wants to stay with Aunt 'Lena."

Lumpy the stuffed Camel had been a birthday present from Quatra and Dorothy, and served as the child's security blanket. Nobody was allowed to touch Lumpy unless Alexis said so, and Heero made a note to bring Relena's bear to her later tonight.

At that moment, Iria Barton and Dorothy Catalonia entered the waiting room on the heels of the Head Nurse.

"Mr. Yuy? Ms. Peacecraft is awake, and demanding to see you, sir."

Heero simply nodded and walked out the door, Alexis in tow. Duo blinked in surprise, then took off after his best friend.

"Hey! Wait for me, Heero!"

Quatra was about to follow when Dorothy spoke up.

"Before we do anything, someone needs to make a press statement. The rumors are flying about Relena's attack. It would be better to speak openly about what happened then let people make up the more interesting details," she suggested delicately.

"You're right. We'll let Zechs handles this. After all, she is his sister."



At that moment, Milliardo Peacecraft sat at his sister's bedside, driving her crazy.

"For the last time, Milliardo Peacecraft, I will be all right! Yes, my arm hurts, my hand REALLY hurts, and I don't think I have an inch of skin that won't be black and blue by tomorrow, but I swear that I will get out of this bed and kick you if you don't stop asking what you can do to help!"

Both siblings broke off as Heero, Duo, and Alexis entered the room. Upon seeing her aunt, Alexis immediately tried to throw herself onto the bed, but Heero caught her.

"Gently," he admonished, easing her onto the bed.

Under the watchful eye of her three uncles, Alexis sat for a moment, looking in awe at the equipment in the room. Feeling Relena shift on the bed, Alexis looked back, seeing her aunt frown in pain.

"Can I kiss it an' make it better?" Alexis questioned innocently. She had all ready laid Lumpy on the pillow beside Relena's head.

"You can try sweetie, but I'm not sure how much one kiss is going to help," Relena said, trying to blink back tears. She really wished that a kiss would make it all better.

Glancing between Relena and Heero, Alexis declared, "Then Uncle Heero can do it. I heard you tell'em that he could kiss good - didn't she, Uncle Heero?"

Duo laughed at Relena's mortified expression, while Zechs glared at his sister's fiancÈe. Heero simply smirked, his anger at the situation momentarily forgotten. The smirk disappeared just as quickly as it had come when he saw Relena's chin start to tremble, her jaw clenched, trying to control her emotions in front of other people.

Catching Duo's eye, Heero titled his head in Relena's direction, then looked down at Alexis. Catching his meaning, Duo bent down to swoop the young child into the air. Smiling slightly at her shrieks of laughter, he looked up at her from her perch on his shoulders.

"Are you hungry, monster? 'Cause I know I am!"

Milliardo had also caught Heero's subtle request, and he had to agree. The shock and fear of the attack had worn off, leaving Relena to deal with the emotional backlash of the assault. She was looking to Heero now for comfort, and, as much as he wished otherwise, Milliardo Peacecraft knew that the former pilot was the only one that could calm and soothe Relena's fears.

Granting Relena the privacy she desired, Milliardo walked out of the room, shutting the door behind him. Wearily closing his eyes, he leaned against the wall, suddenly wishing that he could simply disappear and lead a normal life. He was growing tired of chasing terrorists, dealing with politicians, and constantly fearing for the safety of everyone he held dear. He just wanted some peace.