Symbol of Honor
Chapter: 5 Can everybody hear the happy cash registers? I know I can!

By Lady Saffir
Rating: PG-13 A little bit of lime sprinkled throughout.
DISCLAIMER: I most likely will never own these characters. However, I do own the story idea.
Eh hem...my quote for the day:

"To err is human but to really foul things up requires a computer."
*****************************************************

Relena blinked as the bright sunlight washed over her face. After spending quite a bit of time 'relaxing' once they had landed, she had fallen asleep next to Heero, lulled into oblivion by his gentle snoring. Who would have thought, she mused, that the man dubbed the 'Perfect Soldier' had allergies? Brought out of her reverie by a slight snort, and turned in time to have her nose squashed by Heero as he rolled over.

"Mpphhh!"

Blinking at the sound, Heero woke up to find a slightly annoyed Relena looking up at him, rubbing her sore nose.

"Dat hut," she stated, her words muffled by the hand that was across her mouth. "Kib it?"

Not comprehending, the meaning soon became clear when Relena reached up to kiss his own nose in demonstration.

"Oh, kiss it. Right?"

Heero bent to place a light kiss on his companion's nose, then proceeded to rain kisses down upon her cheeks, brow, eyelids, until finally coming to her lips. There he began his work in earnest, gently exploring the parted lips that greeted him. Kissing was the best part, he fuzzily thought, especially when his efforts were rewarded by that soft sigh-turned-moan that Relena did.

Breaking their kiss, he then placed soft kisses along her jaw-line, ending at the sensitive spot right behind Relena's ear. Chillbumps appeared, as if summoned by magic, any time that Heero would so much as brush his fingers across the spot. And he was definitely doing more than running his fingers about.

Relena gave a soft sigh at his attentions, then blinked up at him sexily.

"So, are we gonna stay in bed all day, or are we gonna actually SEE the scenery?" she teased, running her fingers through his hair.

Heero sighed, knowing full-well that what Relena really meant was, 'when are we going shopping?' He rolled over then sat up, reaching over to slap the still half-asleep woman next to him on the bottom.

"All right, get up. Do you think you can manage to shower and be ready in half an hour?"

Standing, Relena crossed over to stand before him, then gave a saucy grin.

"I don't knowww...." she teased, proceeding to the bathroom. Along the way she shed her sleeping shorts and tank top. Duo had given them to her as a Christmas gift, laughing at his own joke. The shorts and top were a soft pink, while 'Princess' was boldly scrawled across the front of the top. Relena turned to look at Heero.

"So, are you going to help speed the process up, or are you going to let me use up all the hot water?"

Taking the invitation to heart, Heero practically zoomed into the bathroom, swinging Relena into his arms as he passed her.

Heero settled Relena onto a small chair, then quickly stripped of his sleeping shorts. He began to run the water for a bath before eyeing the display of assorted bath oils.

He finally settled for one of his favorites, a pale green bubble bath whose scent reminded him of green tea. After adding a liberal dose to the water, he then turned to Relena, picked her up and stepped into the waiting bath.

The bathtub, an ancient, claw-footed affair, easily held both of them. A slight modification had turned the bathtub into a small whirlpool, and Heero could only sigh in appreciation. Settling Relena between his legs, he tugged gently, pulling her back to lean against his chest.

Heero scooted forward slightly, relaxing backwards until his own head could use the back of the tub for a headrest. His arms gently encircled Relena's waist, and he smiled to himself as she twined their hands together.

They relaxed in silence for a time, his thoughts primarily on how to keep Relena distracted, and she on how to keep herself distracted.

"So...what are we going to do now that we're here?" Relena ventured slowly, unsure as to whether or not Heero had actually PLANNED past the getting here point. Picking up a loofah sponge to bathe her with, he answered her as he slowly began to soap her body.

"Well, to start with, I thought we'd walk around, and if you REALLY want to," and here he sighed theatrically, "I guess we could do a little bit of shopping," he said, gently running the sponge over her legs. At the moment all he wanted to do was concentrate on the task at hand, and let the future worry about itself.

"Heero, I want to do whatever you want to do. It doesn't really matter to me - although some shopping would be nice. With you actually participating," she said, with a teasing note in her voice.

Heero smiled at that.

"All right. How about we walk around, grab a late lunch, and then see what there is to see?"

"Perfect. Where are we going?"

Heero considered the options for several minutes as he worked his way across Relena's back. He didn't really want to make formal plans. The whole point of this adventure - besides getting the wedding details in order - was spontaneity.

Deciding on a plan, Heero spoke as he idly washed the suds away.

"Why don't we walk out of the hotel doors, turn left, and walk until we have to call the hotel for a ride back? And that way we'll have someone to help me carry all of those bags and boxes of stuff that I know you are going to buy."

Relena had to smile at that.

"And how long did it take you to come up with that plan?"

"Hours. I spent the entire flight planning how to be spontaneous."

Relena turned in the water, eyes wide.

"I believe, Mr. Yuy, that you just made a joke."

Heero touched the tip of her nose with his finger.

"And I believe, Ms. Peacecraft, that you have soap bubbles on your nose."

Seriousness put aside, the two lovers began a bubble battle, each trying to place bubbles on the other in the most outlandish places. For every time Relena created bubble earrings for Heero, he retaliated by giving her bubble eyebrows. The battle continued until Relena collapsed against Heero's chest, laughing too hard to continue.

"I...wish I had...a camera," she gasped.

He raised an eyebrow at that.

"Sounds kinky."

Relena swatted at him, trying to still her laughter.

"Is that all you think about?"

Standing, Heero pulled Relena up with him, turning on the showerhead. Cold water began to run over the couple, causing Relena to shriek and try to avoid the freezing water. Heero obligingly allowed her to use him for a shield, turning his back so that the frigid water coursed down his spine.

"Actually, I only think about that ninety percent of the time," he informed her, shifting slightly so that Relena could avoid the shower.

"So you only think about me ninety percent of the time? What about the other ten percent?" she pouted.

"Oh no," he assured her, "that's only when I'm on a mission. Any other time you are the only thing on my mind."

She stared at him, impressed.

"You only think about your missions that little? Heaven help the person that crosses you when you devote your full attention."

About to add another comment, Heero cut her off, fully intent on his newest mission: to kiss the living daylights out of Relena Darlian Peacecraft.

Relena, so caught up in kissing Heero back, failed to notice that he had shifted his weight. However, she snapped back to reality when the cold water hit her back.

"HEERO YUY!"

Heero broke the kiss, once again laughing as Relena glared up at him.

"Enough, woman. You're wearing me out," he said, lightly swatting her across the rear.

Turning off the shower, he then proceeded to dry both himself and Relena, before once more sweeping her off her feet. Striding back into the bedroom, he unceremoniously dumped her onto the sheets before crawling in after her.

**********************************************

"I thought that we were only going to take half an hour to get dressed. So why is it," and here Heero had to squint to see the clock, "three o'clock? - and we're still in bed? Dear god, this is a first for me!"

Relena giggled, turning to snuggle into Heero's side.

"You're the one that threw me back onto the bed. I just figured that it was you being 'spontaneous' again."

Heero mock growled, then pulled himself and Relena out of the bed. Shoving some clothes in her direction, he shooed her into the bathroom, then shut the door on her protesting face.

"Heero? Why did you just do that?"

Heero leaned against the door, pulling on his jeans as he answered.

"Simple. If I don't see you getting dressed, then I won't be tempted to keep you from getting dressed. Now hurry up and fix your hair or make-up or whatever it is that you do that takes so long."

An indignant Relena stuck her head out the door.

"I actually care what my hair looks like. Unlike a certain person that I know..." she trailed off, sticking her tongue out at his answering smirk.

"I don't need to spend large quantities of time to make myself look good - it occurs naturally," he retorted.

Relena's eyes grew wide. Sputtering, she reached backwards, not even looking to see what she was grabbing. Without thought she hurled the object as hard as she could, and succeeded in hitting her target.

Heero's own eyes flew open in amazement. Dusting powder now coated his face, clinging to his eyelashes, eyebrows, lips, and liberally coated his bangs.

Relena threw her own smirk at the stunned man. That would teach him to make smart remarks about her dressing process.

********************************************

Heero staggered into their suite, his arms laden with bags. Six hours had passed since their departure, and Heero was definitely feeling the full effects. Especially his poor arms.

Hearing the sound of the vidphone activating, he turned in time to be greeted by a grinning Milliardo Peacecraft.

"Are you regretting this trip yet?"

"No, not yet...although I might be by the end of the week," Heero grinned ruefully, absently running his fingers through his hair.

"I bet. Let me know if she's about to bankrupt you...speaking of which, is the shopping demon around?"

Relena, having snuck up behind Heero, popped her head around his arm to glare at her older brother.

"Quiet, you! I'll have you know that everything that I bought today was wedding oriented...except for that one pink shirt...and that pair of sandals...and a hat..." Relena trailed off as Milliardo burst into laughter.

"Very wedding oriented. Especially the hat. Are you preparing for a bad hair day?" he teased, glad to see the laughter back in his sister's eyes. Whoever was after her had caused the two of them many sleepless nights - she, fretting, pacing, worrying about which loved one would be hurt next; he calming her, holding her while she cried, and planning with Heero on how to solve their little 'problem'.

Heero, having placed his burdens on the living room couch, had returned, wrapping one arm about Relena's waist, while he settled his chin onto her shoulder. The picture they made had Milliardo becoming uncomfortable with exactly how grown up his baby sister was.

"There a reason you called?"

Sensing the hidden question, the second highest-ranking officer of the Preventers gave a slight shake of his head, then caught the amused expression that Relena wore. It appeared that the diplomat in her had sensed the query, while the woman was amused at their actions.

"Yes, actually, there is. Sally and Wufei just announced that they are expecting their first child in November."

Relena gave a delighted cry, leaning in toward the screen in her excitement.

"Really? Is it a boy or a girl? What did Wufei have to say about that? When's the due date?"

Laughing, Milliardo raised a hand to stop the onslaught.

"Woah! Calm down, the kid isn't due until November, so you're just going to have to wait a while before buying any baby clothes. And Wufei was...well, actually smiling, if that tells you anything. For any other information, I'm afraid that you're going to have to call Sally and Wufei for details."

Milliardo had to smile as Relena rushed out of the room, tossing a casual 'bye, love you!' over her shoulder. Turning back to face Heero, he continued.

"Nothing has come up, so don't worry that this call has a hidden agenda. Seriously, though - HAS she bankrupted you yet? I know her shopping tendencies, and they aren't pretty..." he trailed off as Heero smiled slightly.

"No, honestly, she hasn't. Of course, she hasn't quite got the conversions into yen down yet, so she keeps overestimating everything. I'll let her tell you about everything that she bought...she said that it was her sisterly right."

Nodding, Milliardo went to break the communications when a thought crossed his mind.

"By the way, if you just want to casually drop the idea that the child might be a girl..." trailing off as Heero actually laughed, the older man waited for a second.

"Duo's been harassing Wufei since they announced it. And he's actually gotten Trowa to talk about the joys of living with two females...Duo also started a pool as to how soon this kid's going to have Wufei wrapped around their little pinky.

"Take care," he added abruptly, terminating the link between the two.

Heero sat back, listening with half an ear to Relena's excited conversation with Sally, the older woman's talk mainly focusing on the medical aspects while Relena talked eagerly about spoiling the child. 'Poor Wufei', he thought, then amended the idea. 'No, not poor Wufei. The man made it through the war, and Duo's barbs about liking Sally before they married, so I'm sure he can handle whatever happens. At least, I THINK he can handle it...'

A slight beeping on the desktop alerted him to the incoming call, giving Heero enough time to plaster a smirk on his face. Wufei's face came into view.

"Yuy, please stop your crazy woman from putting even more ridiculous ideas into Sally's head. She's got enough of them in there without Relena's help," he pleaded, tossing a quick glance over his shoulder into the other room.

"I'm afraid that you're on your own there. You know how stubborn Relena can be...especially when she gets an idea into her head. And I think that I just heard her mention something about an all pink room and wardrobe," Heero added wickedly, internally laughing at Wufei's expression.

*****************************************

Relena sighed as Heero crawled into bed, curling up against his added warmth. It seemed to her that the man carried an internal heater, the way he put out heat. It was definitely going to be cozy in the wintertime, she decided, sleepily placing her head into the crook of his shoulder.

Turning slightly to settle Relena more firmly against him, Heero could only sigh in appreciation. The day had been full of surprises, and Relena had insisted on helping him fix a late dinner. Which had, of course, somehow ending up with every pot in the kitchen dirty, with flour (flour?! that wasn't even one of the ingredients!) coating the floor in a fine white powder.

And it wasn't because Relena was a horrible cook. For several months now he and Relena had been cooking together, he gently teaching her, she intent on learning the art. No, Heero thought, it wasn't because she couldn't cook. It was because she was a klutz.

Looking at her in public, one would never guess. Each gesture seemed perfect, each look and step designed to convey assurance and responsibility. In private, though, that was another story.

When Relena became unsure of herself, her movements became jerky and uncoordinated, and often ended up with one or both of them on the floor. And just as often as not, covered in cooking ingredients.

Which was why Heero was just now settling into bed. For some reason the mess had turned into a giant monster. A huge, giant, hulking monster that would have had Godzilla running in fear.

So Heero had shooed Relena into the shower before tackling the monumental task, taking time to enjoy the peace and quiet that settled over the suite. By the time he had finished, night had firmly grasped the world, the pale moon sending silver shafts of light raining down upon the earth.

Although the hour was late to begin with, Heero had sat by their bedside for another forty minutes, silently watching each expression flicker and disappear across Relena's sleeping face. The moon bathed her in a luminous glow, turning her dark blonde hair into silver streamers that floated on top of the pillows. One hand softly rested beside of her head, fingers twitching slightly as Relena's physical body reacted to whatever world Morpheus had sent her sleeping mind into.

Placing a gentle kiss on the smooth brow, Heero settled in for the remainder of the night, pulling Relena's sleeping form closer to his own, so that perhaps it would be she that he would dream of.



Deep in the shadows, the silent figure watched the other man climb into bed, pulling HIS love close, kissing HER forehead. Who did this man, this little nothing, think he was, to presume the right to hold something as precious as the flower in his arms each night? Planning his revenge, the figure slipped into the shadows, chuckling as he went.

"Soon, my darling Relena, you will be back with me, and the BOY that took you away from me will see the error of his ways. I have all the time in the world, and sooner or later, your so-called 'lover'," he spat, "will slip, and then he will pay.

"And he will pay dearly."

*********************************************

Remember, tell me what you think!

AN - Thank you so much to everyone that has written me regarding this series! It means so much to read e-mail from people how truly enjoy the story. You've made me happy, and when I'm happy, my muse is happy...although my poor fingers and eyes aren't...thanks again for the support! E-mail is our friend, and I love friends.