Symbol of Honor
Chapter 8b
By Lady Saffir
DISCLAIMER: me no own....


*********************************************

The plane ride had been uneventful, if you didn't count the fact that the most feared men in the world and the colonies played beauty salon during the long flight.

Really, there is a good explanation for all of it.

It was all Wufei's fault.

Having been up with Sally most of the previous night due to 'morning sickness', Wufei had lain down for a nap in one of the sleeping compartments, taking Alexis with him at the request of Trowa and Iria. Both had quickly fallen asleep, the tiny girl tucked into the curve of Wufei's body.

It was only half an hour later when Alexis awoke. Rubbing the sleep from her eyes, she looked around, taking in the sight of her sleeping uncle. Rolling over, what she found made her eyes widen as if it were Christmas morning.

Eyeing the pile of make-up lying next to her, Alexis used the only logic a small child could. Her mommy and her aunts used this stuff to make themselves 'feel better', so maybe if she put some on her uncle, he would feel better too.

Just as she was putting the finishing touches on, the door opened to reveal a very shocked Sally. Startled, Alexis began to try and hide the evidence. Mommy didn't allow her to play with her stuff, so Aunt Sally might be really mad with her. The two had a staring contest going until Alexis' face began to crumble.

Putting on a bright smile, Sally crossed over to the fretting child, scooping her into her arms for a hug.

"Shh...it's okay, Alexis, you just surprised me, that's all," she soothed, bouncing the sniffling child a bit.

"Not mad?" came the soft question.

Sally couldn't help the grin that spread across her face. "Not a bit. How about we take a picture of you and Uncle Wu?"

Positioning the now grinning child next to her husband, Sally quickly retrieved the camera in their luggage. Waiting for just the right moment, Sally knew exactly when it came.



The twin screams that echoed through the plane produced an immediate response. Six guns were instantly produced, safeties off, pointed toward the ceiling. Relena found herself shoved down to the floor, Heero crouched next to her body. Tensed, each person in the main cabin waited for something to signify what the danger was.

The sides of the plane practically expanded with the shared sigh of relief when Sally called out that everything was fine. Holstering the guns, everyone rushed to see what had made Sally scream.

The scene that greeted their eyes had Duo snickering, trying to hold in his laughter, Trowa and Iria shaking their heads at the sight of their offspring, and the rest of the group trying to pick their jaws up off the floor.

Wufei was sitting in the middle of the bed, clothes mussed from sleep. His jet-black hair was loose from its customary ponytail, floating about his shoulders, wisps sticking straight up. All was normal, except for the large amounts of make-up that covered his face.

The attempt had been made to smear base on his entire face, the large patches of foundation smeared across his forehead, nose, and cheeks, trailing down his neck to find a resting-place in his hair. Blush had been liberally applied to his cheeks, the pinkness of it giving the impression of a clown. Green and brown eyeshadow were found on his eyelids and directly underneath his eyes, making it look like he had bruised eyes. The crowning touch though was the lipstick that graced his mouth and chin, a crimson smear to highlight the pink of his cheeks.

"Erm, Sally," Quatra began, snickering in-between words, "as...unusual as this is, why did you scream?"

Husband and wife shared a look, Wufei giving tiny shakes of his head. The grin on Sally's face blossomed.

"I didn't scream."

At the hidden implication, eleven pairs of eyes swung to look at Wufei.

"It wasn't my fault! The damn woman took the picture right when I was waking up! What else was I supposed to do?!"

"You were supposed to scream like a man!" Duo piped up, ducking behind Heero at the glare Wufei shot him.

About to respond, a sniffle caused Wufei to look down. Alexis had tucked her head against his chest, her large, watery blue eyes looking at him pleadingly.

"Uncle Wu mad..."

At the forlorn sound of her voice, Wufei racked his brains, trying to find a way out of this mess. The sight of Duo, still laughing, gave him a brilliant idea. Hoisting the child up till she was eye-level with him, he gave her his best smile.

"No, Alexis, I'm not mad; Aunt Sally just startled me, that's all. I don't mind a bit. In fact, I like it."

At that, Alexis beamed, her smile causing Wufei's to grow in turn.

"And since I liked," Wufei continued, "and you liked it, why don't we share this with your other uncles? I'm sure they wouldn't mind helping you have fun, now would they?"

The horrified expressions that crossed every man's face had Sally snapping pictures as fast as the camera would go.



And so, in the end, each man allowed himself to be submitted to the ministrations of their niece, trying to refrain from causing Wufei bodily harm. It didn't help the fact that every woman on the plane had broken out a camera to commemorate the event.

Heero, having flat out refused the make-up, was sitting patiently on the floor, allowing Alexis to do whatever she wanted to his hair. The occasion tug would cause him to wince, making Relena giggle. Finally, she handed him a mirror, camera ready to record his reaction.

Holding up the mirror, Heero gingerly touched the top of his head, taking in the spikes of hair that sprouted from every part of his skull. He noted gel had been added, letting certain areas lay flat, while others pointed in an almost dangerous fashion away from his head. One strand, on top of his head, stuck straight up.

Falling backwards, Heero let Alexis sit on his chest as he tried to stop a massive sigh from escaping his lips.

***********************************************


Relena sighed into the night air, a happy sigh that told of dreams and hopes having passed into reality, the fairy-tale ending beginning to blossom. The wind whispering past the tree leaves, faintly echoing her thoughts. To-morrow, to-morrow, to-morrow...

"To-morrow and to-morrow and to-morrow," she quoted, staring into the bright night sky.

A figure materialized out of the darkness, striding forward softly, barely disrupting the still night air. He stood quietly, waiting for some form of acknowledgement. Moments passed, Relena searching the sky, the young man staring at the princess.

Rolling her eyes to her silent companion, Relena patted the ground next to her. Silence reigned as the couple lay back in the soft Spring grass, content to enjoy the peace while it lasted. The contrast of the warm earth, its dull heat retained from the day sky, with the cool blades of grass that rustled and brushed against bare skin, heightened the senses, leaving the body both relaxed and hyper aware of the slightest change in the night.

"Such a sad quote for such a happy time," her companion commented, propping himself on elbow to gaze at Relena. "Or are you having second thoughts?" he questioned, lightly running a finger up her bare arm.

Shivering at the gesture, Relena turned her gaze, reaching up to trail her fingers down the side of his face.

"Perhaps something else then? 'I am giddy, expectation whirls me round,'" she teased, reaching up to tweak his nose.

He caught and held the wandering hand, pressing until he felt the lost vestiges of scar tissue against his cheek.

"Truth, Relena. Are you having second thoughts?" he asked again, searching for some clue in her face.

"Truth, Heero?" Relena asked, pressing even harder against his face. "No doubts, no fears, save those that I will embarrass you tomorrow in the ceremony," she replied, moving her hand to brush through unruly hair.

Again he captured her hand, bringing it level with his mouth. Planting a chaste kiss on her palm, he scooted closer, pulling her slight frame against his own. Rolling onto his back, he encircled her with his arms, enjoying the comforting feel of her weight against his chest.

"You will never embarrass me, Relena," he whispered fiercely, crushing a tangle of hair trapped between his fingers. "Never. All of my life, I could only wonder what a normal life would be like. Now I know. I laugh, I cry...I worry over mundane things like whether or not the laundry can wait another day. I have friends that have turned into a family.

"And I have you," Heero finished, pressing his cheek against the crown of her head.



That was exactly how Milliardo found them half an hour later, sprawled carelessly upon the dewy grass. For the first time, he couldn't help the small smile that played across his mouth at the sight of the young couple. Perhaps Noin was right; they really were too adorable sometimes.

"Your bridemaids are looking for you, Relena."

The reminder of her own 'bachelorette party' prompted Relena to jump to her feet, covering her mouth in dismay.

"I completely forgot! They are going to cream me for this!"

About to run, Relena stopped when Heero grabbed her wrist. Looking down, she saw the full blown smile on his lips.

"I know, not too much drinking, and watch out for any pranks. Now, be good and play nice," Relena admonished, wagging a finger at both men.

Milliardo caught Heero's expression from the corner of his eye as his little sister ran through the garden. The smile, while still there, had turned into a private smile that a person gets only when thinking private memories. Milliardo sighed, running his fingers through his tousled hair. Well, now he could skip the long lecture he had planned about really being in love with his sister.

"At least I can save us both some time," he said, causing Heero to turn and look at him questioningly. "Your look," Milliardo elaborated, "says it all. Completely and utterly in love. Now stay that way," he ordered.

"Yes sir, commander sir," Heero saluted.


*********************************


Heero's breath caught when he saw Relena for the first time on their wedding day. the crimson material of the traditional kimono accented the pale blonde of her hair. Silver cranes had been embroidered onto the material, swooping and flying about her body.

The Shinto priest gazed fondly at the young couple before him. Three years ago Heero Yuy had appeared on the shrine grounds, asking to be taken on as an apprentice. He had almost said no, until Heero's eyes had locked onto his. The dark blue had contained so many things, but it was the flicker of hope that had decided the old priest's mind.

An entire year had passed, and in that time the two men had become friends, although the path had not been easy. It had taken a screaming fit for Heero to finally open up.

The memory caused the old man to smile. Heero's progress had been painfully slow, leading the priest to take drastic measures. For three months he spoke not a word, even when teaching Heero new chores. For some reason one day, Heero hadn't been able to grasp the concept behind his lesson.

He had continued to slap Heero's hands with each incorrect movement. Impatience began to build, leaving Heero fidgeting slightly. No matter what he did it wasn't right. Finally, the bubble burst.

"Look - I don't know what you want me to do! Everytime I do what I think you want, you tell me it's wrong I'm not a mind reader - I'm only human!"

Heero's eyes widened, realization dawning.

"That's it, isn't it? You wanted me to see that even I have limits, and I react emotionally when pushed. Right?"

The old man gave a long sigh of relief, sinking to the ground.

"I feared you would never understand that. I was afraid I'd forget how to talk if something didn't happen soon!"

The words were practically lost to Heero as he stood there in amazement. That was the entire trick of fitting into the human race? It seemed almost too easy.

A month later, an urgent message came from Quatra. Relena had drawn a line on the issue of her security, leaving the remaining Gundam pilots about to rip their hair out.

"Please, Heero, please," Quatra begged. "Come talk to her. She listens to you. We understand that she needs privacy, but the other ministers are demanding a twenty-four hour guard after the last assination attempt."

The priest still remembered Heero's parting words.

"When I come back, I'm going to bring someone I want you to meet."


Smiling again, the priest spoke in English for the benefit of his guests. The ritual words spoken, the couple shared a drink, smiles gracing their lips.

*********************************

Settling into bed Heero sighed, tired after the long day. After the ceremony they opted to go to a local fair, saving all speeches and good wishes for the public ceremony.

Turning to look at his new wife, his eye caught sight of the fish bowl sitting several feet away. Try as she might, Relena had been unable to capture a goldfish without breaking the the paper catcher. Although he couldn't understand why anyone wanted fish for pets, he had gladly caught three of the prettiest, most unusually marked creatures, presenting them to a clapping Relena with a flourish and a bow.

Past the fish bowl lay a large pile of plushie dolls. One unfortunate booth made the mistake of proclaiming that 'only the best could win', which had prompted all six men to try. And win. Repeatedly. The biggest delight for all of the women had been the fact that Gundam plushie dolls had been a prize option.

Heero had managed to win all six dolls, and was in the process of giving the man a large tip, since the group had depleted most of his prizes. Seeing Heero's eyes drift to Relena, the man, who was most likely old enough to be Heero's father, had grinned.

"You're wife?"

Heero couldn't help the smile that broke out. "Married today," he answered.

"The day is young, so your marriage must be as well. Tell me - does your wife speak Japanese? I would like to give her a wedding gift."

Nodding, Heero had motioned Relena to join him.

"My wife, Lena Yuy," he introduced, using Relena's alias for the trip.


Bowing, the man spoke, reaching behind him.

"I wish you luck and prosperity in your marriage, and many children as well. And seeing your fascination with Gundams, I believe I may have something that you may like."

Relena gave a delighted cry as the vendor produced a three foot tall plushie of Wing Custom. Bowing, she thanked the man in her best Japanese. Giving their farewells, the couple stopped when the man's parting words floated to their ears.

"You're welcome...your Majesty."

Whirling, Heero had his hand on his gun, ready to draw, when Relena stopped him with a gentle touch. Stepping around him, she regarded the still smiling man before speaking haltingly, searching for the correct words.

"Please...I am no longer a queen, or even a princess. I have given up my kingdom for peace. For today, I am simply Lena Yuy, a newly married woman who is only enjoying this beautiful day with her husband and friends."

The man followed her speech carefully, nodding at the end. "I understand, and am sorry if I have cast any shadows over your day." The man tossed a perceptive look at Heero, then continued.

"I also understand that you do not wish it to be known that you are here, if you are using false names. I will speak of this to no one."

"Thank you," Relena said gratefully, before sqealing in delight. "Food! Heero, I'm starved; watching you do all this work has made me hungry!" she proclaimed, dragging him through the various stalls. Looking back, Heero saw the man wave in farewell.



Watching his peacefully sleeping wife, Heero could only smirk at the remembered conversation that had taken place as they strolled along.


"You had that poor man wrapped around your little finger," Heero commented, tugging on a loose strand of hair.

"Are you saying that I used my feminine wiles to get him to agree?" Relena asked, eyes a bit too wide for true innocence.

Heero snorted. "No, you charmed your way into getting what you wanted."

"Well, as someone once said, and I quote, 'You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question.'"



A sinking feeling had crept over him at that. Somehow he knew he'd be agreeing to a lot of outlandish things in the future. Shrugging philosphically, Heero fitted Relena's body against his, planting a gentle kiss on her bare shoulder before drifting off to sleep.

********************************************


Heero tensed, anxiously waiting Duo to give the OK that the church grounds were clear. In one hour the wedding ceremony would commence, and he had yet to finish dressing and talk to the media about his upcoming nuptials. Sighing, he ran a hand through his unruly hair, impatience growing. The wedding date and time had been broadcast on almost every news channel known to mankind, with the ceremony being broadcast to the colonies and rest of the world. Now they just had to wait for this psycho to show up and ruin the ceremony.

"The only man in the world that hopes another man tries to interrupt his wedding," he muttered, earning an odd look from Trowa.

"What if it's a woman?" Trowa countered, raising his one visible eyebrow.

"Statistics say it'll be a man. There have been very few serial killers and psychopaths of the female gender."

Quatra poked his head inside the door, disrupting the conversation.

"Heero? You aren't dressed yet? The press is dying to have a few pictures of you before the ceremony; they say they want to help you commemerate the last few hours of your bachelorhood."

Snorting, Heero stood, reaching for the black tuxedo jacket thrown over the arm of a chair. Grabbing the bowtie, he scowled while straightening it. Two years of escorting Relena to formal events had given him little love of the ridiculous accessory, so he always left it for last.

"Duo says everything's clear?"

Quatra nodded, amusement dancing through his eyes.

That earned another scowl from Heero.

"If he missed a bomb and it goes off, or anything else happens that doesn't involve a one on one confrontation, I'm taking it out of his hide. Then we'll see if everything's 'just peachy'."

Laughing quietly, Trowa couldn't resist teasing his friend.

"You aren't getting cold feet, are you Heero? If you backed out, I think Relena AND Lady Une would authorize a manhunt for you."

"No, I am not getting cold feet. Even though Relena and I plan on celebrating our anniversary on the Shinto wedding date, I know she wants this to go well."

****************************************

Relena tried to calm down, restraining her fidgeting to tapping two fingers against her thigh. A sharp tug on her hair pulled her head back enough to meet the gaze of an amused Hilde Maxwell.

"Cold feet?" she asked sweetly, tucking a curl into place. She and Relena had spent countless hours poring over magazines devoted entirely to hair. The top choices had been presented the rest of their female friends for final judgement.

The end result was a mass of curls that cascaded down Relena's back. Pulled back gently with small curls and wisps picked out to frame her face, Relena had to admit the style suited her quite well. Her cheekbones were accented as well as her eyes. The makeup was flawlessly applied, the bright blue of her eyes seeming to sparkle even more.

"No, I'm just worried this person is going to do something like bomb the church," Relena answered honestly, stilling her fingers from their rhythmic tapping.

"No need to fear that. Duo's searching the grounds, and I told him if anything goes haywire he'd better start running for his life because I was going to be very mad if he messed up my friend's wedding," Hilde laughed, coming around to meet Relena's eyes.

"Beautiful. Now, I have someone out here that wants to talk to you."

Fiddling with the handheld mirror, Relena jumped when a hand descended to rest lightly on her shoulder. The owner of the hand stepped into view, revealing a smiling, misty-eyed Milliardo Peacecraft.

"The princess bride, painting a more beautiful picture than any fairy tale ever could," he whispered, touching a curl that rested upon her shoulder. He came to kneel before her, taking both hands within his grasp.

"You look like mother, with your hair styled like that. She'd be so proud of you."

Relena tried to blink back the tears that threatened to spill over. Helen Dorlain held a dear place within her heart, but she treasured the few memories of her real mother she could remember.

Alarm crossed Milliardo's features as he reached up to brush a stray tear away.

"Don't cry Relena, I didn't mean for that to happen. I just wanted to see that pretty smile," he soothed, patting her cheek in reassurance. Grabbing a tissue from the nearby vanity, he blotted her cheeks clear of tears. "Would it help if I told you I was crying like a baby last night? Noin was ready to throw me out the window," he offered up, grinning as a smile peeked through.

Relena couldn't help the laugh that bubbled up. Smiling, she threw herself into Milliardo's waiting arms, unable to sad for very long. Pulling back, she searched his face, looking for anything that would indicate he was stretching the truth.

"You didn't."

"I did. I think I went through three boxes of tissues in an hour..."

Laughter interrupted the siblings, causing them to turn and see Lucrezia Noin-Peacecraft framed in the doorway, a hand held over her mouth to stop the laughter.

"Maybe not three boxes, but cry he did," she affirmed.

Following Noin were the rest of Relena's bridesmaids, anxious to give last minute advice and goodwishes.

"Remember, if Heero tries to bolt, we've got the ammo to stop him," Hilde teased, patting her bouquet of flowers. The reminder brought Relena back to the real reason for the early wedding.



The planning session to capture her attacker left Relena stunned at the mental workings of her friends. Political manuevering she could do; this was a whole other ball game. It reminded her of a chess game, except this game dealt with bullets and lives, not rooks and kings. The sound of her name startled her back into the conversation.

"Relena? Did you get that? If our attacker strikes the way I think he will, I want you to stay out of the way as much as possible. Noin, Sally, Hilde, Dorothy - we're going to arrange to have a small gun hidden within your bouquets. Catherine, I know you're going to have a small throwing knife on you. Lady Une will have a gun with her as well, but since she's in the audience, hopefully our man will forget. Iria - you'll be in charge of making sure that Alexis, Mareimaea, and Mrs. Dorlain get down and stay there if gunfire starts."

As Quatra paused in his planning, Relena could only marvel. It was now clear as to why the other men looked to the Arabian for well thought out plans. No detail escaped his attention.

"Zechs, if you can get to Relena and get her to safety. Duo, Trowa, Wufei and I will be watching for anything coming at us from the sides and back. Heero, our target will probably switch back and forth from you and Relena, so make sure your gun is where you can reach it quickly. The Marquis Wayridge has agreed to help us try and keep the guests from panicking, and so has the priest.

"Remember - we want this guy alive if possible, but if it comes to us or him, take the cleanest shot you can."



Her smile slipped for a moment at Quatra's parting words. She knew the pilots could theoretically watch their own backs, but that didn't stop the worrying. And if the press ever found out her entire wedding party had concealed weapons, she could kiss her political career good-bye. If it came down to it though, she'd rather lose the job.


Stepping between the twin pillars that guarded the main entrance way, Relena took a steadying breathe, leaning on her grandfather's arm while she could. She had waited two long years for this to happen and now she wanted to pinch herself to make sure she wasn't dreaming. Trowa, Wufei, Quatra, and Duo all looked splendid in their black tuxes, each attentively turned to look at her. Milliardo, as best man, looked wonderful as well, the pale white blonde of his hair contrasting deeply with the darkness of his tuxedo.

Turning her gaze to Heero, Relena's breath caught in her throat. Dressed in pure white, his deep blue eyes appeared even bluer and more intense. For once his unruly hair was semi-tamed, a single strand hanging over into his eyes. The processional walk down the aisle was a blur, her attention focused entirely upon the man waiting for her.

Reaching the end of the walk, Relena's grandfather bent to kiss her cheek, placing her hand into Heero's waiting grasp. Gently he pulled her closer, giving her a soft smile before turning them to face the priest.

Relena was aware of the people around her subtly scanning the crowd for a disturbance, just as she knew Heero was doing the same thing. Her faith in him was so complete that she simply gave herself over to her emotions, enjoying the moment as she should.


Heero was hyperaware of his surroundings, each sense looking for some disturbance that would indicate danger. From Relena's trusting face to the quiet rustle of Noin's dress to Alexis fidgeting in the front pew - each sound and sight was caught and processed almost unintentionally.

Finally, the words that everyone was waiting for were spoken. With a glance to Heero the priest asked in a loud, clear voice:

"Is there anyone present that objects to this union?"

The entire wedding party held their breath, waiting, waiting...opening his mouth to continue, the priest was cut off abruptly by a new voice.

"I object!"

Heero felt more than saw Relena tense, his own back stiffening in recognition.

"You," he growled, turning to face his opponent.

**************************************************