Disclaimer: Repeat after me. Characters are not mine, characters are not mine.

Author's Notes: Oh so close to the end. I would have written more, but I have to be at work in fifteen minutes. Damn Blockbuster!

Dedication: To my 50 pound puppy, Selene.

****

Two Can Play
by Kristen Elizabeth

****

Heero Yuy had always liked to think that, if presented with the situation of seeing Relena with another man, he would not have a typically male reaction. Meaning, he wanted to believe he would stay cool and calm, secure in her feelings for him. Completely unpossesive.

The minute he saw her talking with expensively dressed, slicked-back, portly, tuxedo-clad diplomat, he realized something important about himself.

He was definitely the jealous type.

****

The evening was turning into a holiday disaster, on a par with the Christmas of 196 when she had been abducted by a facist eight year old. Although someone had been at her side constantly for the entire evening, Relena had never felt more alone. When she saw him across the ballroom with Duo and Hilde, she wanted nothing more than to leave.

As she had feared, he looked incredible. He was as comfortable in a designer tuxedo as he was in spandex. His hair hung over his eyes as always. And just as always, it made him look even sexier. She bit her lip. Why wasn't he looking at her? Why hadn't he even come over to say hello? This was the man she had almost given her virginity to only days earlier?

Suddenly, as though he could read her mind, he looked at her. Their eyes met across the ballroom. Prussian blue crashing into crystal. Like a scene in a movie, the rest of the ballroom dropped away. It was only her and Heero. Time slowed down. He lowered his eyes, looking down the floor. After a second, his gaze lifted again and the corners of his mouth turned up in a smile that nearly melted her knees.

"Miss Relena!"

She was thrown back into reality, her stare with Heero broken as a slightly chubby man about her height stepped in front of her. Relena blinked and frowned as the man reached for her hand. "Miss Relena...it's been years! You look even more lovely than you do in front of a podium."

"I'm sorry", she extracted her hand with careful politeness. "Do I know you?"

The man smiled, revealing slightly crooked teeth. "Perhaps it would help if I tried to kiss you."

"Excuse me?"

"Don't tell me you've forgotten your fourteenth birthday party."

She put a hand to her throat. "Harold? Harold Lodim?"

Harold spread his arms. "One and the same."

"My goodness..." Relena looked him over. "You've...changed."

"You haven't. You've only gotten prettier. And more poised." He took a step closer. "If I may say so, your speeches are so very inspiring. Sometimes..." He lowered his voice as though confessing a great secret. "I have to record them."

Relena fought to keep her lip from curling up. "How very..." *Psychotic.* "...flattering."

Harold glanced over his shoulder as the quartet struck up a waltz. "Would you like to dance?"

Biting her lip, Relena looked past Harold. Across the room, Heero was no longer watching her. Instead, he was deep in conversation with Quatre and Trowa. A little part of her crumbled. She took a deep breath. "That would be...nice."

****

"What is she doing?"

Quatre rolled his eyes and looked past Heero's shoulder. "She's just talking to some guy."

"Who is he? Do you recognize him?"

The blond man squinted. "I think he's Minister Lodim's son. Relena must have gone to school with him around the same time you met her. He's our age."

"You wouldn't guess it by the bald spot", Trowa said, dryly.

"Oh..." Quatre scratched his cheek. "They're walking to the dance floor."

Heero's eyes narrowed as he stared at the wall. "All right. You two know what you have to do."

"I suppose it would be way too difficult just to ask her to dance, right?"

"Trowa..." Heero gave his friend a look. "I'm doing this just as much for you as I am for Relena and myself." Quatre blushed and immediately pinched himself for doing so.

Buttoning his tuxedo jacket, Trowa set off on his mission with Quatre only a step behind him.

****

"...so the doctor drained the fluid and told me to stay off my feet for three weeks. He'd kill me if he knew I was dancing."

Relena gave her dance partner a weak smile. "If you want to stop..."

"No, no. Do you realize that every single guy in here is staring at us, wishing they could be where I am?" Harold's hand pressed harder against her bare back.

"I'm sure that's not true." Relena delicately cleared her throat.

"Oh, it is", Harold assured her. "Truth be told, I'm rather surprised you agreed to dance. I had heard you were involved with someone."

Relena glanced over at Heero. He was drinking champagne and talking to Duo. "Well, you can't believe everything you hear."

"That's very true. After all, the rumor mill has you paired with one of your bodyguards." Harold shook his head. "Like the Princess of the Sanq Kingdom would shack up with some nameless soldier. It's insulting."

Her jaw clentched. Before she could spit back an appropriate reply, a gloved hand tapped Harold's shoulder. Quatre Winner smiled at them. Like some angel with gold-spun hair, he was there to rescue her.

"May I cut in?"

Being a gentleman raised in society, and knowing the extent of Quatre's wealth and position, Harold gracefully stepped back. As soon as he was out of earshot, Quatre put his hand on her waist and picked up the waltz. "Having a good time?"

She wanted to cry. How could she tell him how much she appreciated his gesture....yet how much she wished he was someone else right then? "Quatre...thank you. I was about do something I was going to regret."

After she had repeated Harold's comments about Heero, Quatre lifted an eyebrow. "I think in a situation like that, no one would mind if you decked a diplomat's son."

Relena laughed for the first time in days. "You are such a good friend. I love you very much."

"You know, Relena...if you weren't in love with him and if I wasn't..."

"I know." She kissed his cheek. "I know."

Harold returned. "May I finish my dance?", he asked politely, but firmly. His breath smelled of alcohol.

Rather than create a scene, Quatre stepped back. "Thank you, Relena." She nodded as she watched him walk away. Once again, she was alone with Harold.

His hands were rougher on her waist, but not enough to draw anyone's attention. "You're friends with Quatre Winner?"

"Good friends. Why?"

He shrugged. "I suppose there isn't any harm in that. Women always hang around gay guys. What is it...like a security blanket or something?"

Every muscle in her body was rigid. "You pompous, little bald..." Her insults were cut off by someone crashing into them. Just in time, she moved out of the way as the person they had bumped into lost a hold on his drink. Red wine spilled all down the front of Harold's tuxedo.

Employing every acting skill his time in the circus had given him, Trowa's face was a mask of concern. "Oh damn...I am so embarassed. I wasn't even looking where I was going."

Harold shook out his arms; a few drops of wine hit Relena. "I should say you weren't."

"Shit...I ruined your shirt." Trowa shook his head. "Really....this is unforgivable. What can I do to make it up to you?" Before Harold could reply, Trowa reached into his jacket and pulled out a handkerchief. He moved to clean up Harold's shirt and pants.

"Hey...it's okay!" Harold backed away before Trowa's hands could touch his pants. "I'll just...go to the men's room." He plucked at his red, wet shirt. "Miss Relena....wait for me?"

Relena bit her lips, desperately trying to control her laughter. "Not in a million years", she replied happily.

After Harold had stalked away, Relena let go, laughing harder than she could ever remember having laughed. Several people turned to look at her, but she ignored all of them. "Trowa..." She held her sides. "Whoever brought you out of your shell deserves some sort of award."

Trowa took her arm. "Don't worry. By the end of the night, that person will be getting his reward." He began leading her off the dance floor. "Now, there's someone who is dying to dance with you."

She stopped, resisting him. "No...I can't...I can't face him. Not yet...not here."

"I'm referring, of course, to your brother."

Relena relaxed. "Millardo?" She turned around to see the man in question approaching.

"May I steal my sister for a minute, Captain Barton?", he asked. Trowa indicated that he was free to do so. Relena felt herself being pulled back onto the dance floor.

There was a second of strained silence as they danced. Finally, he spoke. "We need to talk about the other day." She lowered her gaze, preparing for another lecture. "I think I owe you...an apology."

Her head shot up. "Millardo?"

"Relena...for most of your life, I protected you from the shadows. When I finally got the chance to step out of the shadows, I may have gone overboard in my duties as your older brother." He touched her cheek tenderly.

"I..." She shook her head. "I don't understand."

Millardo nodded. "It's all very confusing, I know. That's why everyone has to find someone who makes it all easier. And as much as it pains me, I have to believe you've found that someone." Before he could change his mind, he continued. "It might not matter, but I want you to know that whatever choices you make for yourself, you will always have my support and understanding."

Relena's eyes watered. "But...my position...."

"Relena, anyone who would scorn you for loving someone has never loved someone themselves."

She blinked back the tears. "Who are you and what have you done with my brother?" He laughed. "Seriously...why are you doing this?"

"Let's just say that my financee is very persuasive."

Looking up into the eyes that matched her own, all she saw was sincerity. It was too much to take. Stepping back from Millardo, she put a hand to her pounding head. Her other hand clutched her stomach.

"Are you all right, Relena?"

Before she could reply, a strong, but gentle hand replaced hers over her forehead. She blinked, recognizing Sally Po. The Preventer physician felt for her temperture. "She's burning up!", she declared. Several couples around them stopped dancing to watch the scene unfolding.

"Oh...I'm all right. I'm just...." Relena's words were stopped as Sally began to examine her.

"Hmm...lymph nodes are swollen..." Sally turned the Vice Foriegn Minister's head from side to side. She reached for her wrist. "Elevated pulse...pale complexion....skin is clammy...." She looked at Millardo gravely. "I think we need to get her to the hospital."

He blinked. "Um...is that really necessary?"

"I'm afraid so." Sally gestured to someone across the room. In a second, Wufei was at their side. There were hushed whispers across the room. "Wufei, let's get her out of here."

Before she knew it, she found herself being lifted off the ground. Her protests were lost as Wufei carried her out of the ballroom. "Really...I'm absolutely fine. Dr. Po....there's nothing wrong with me."

They stepped into the cold night air. Sally smiled down at her. "It's all right, Relena." Her limousine was waiting for her. "I prescibe lots of bed rest."

Relena found herself being set into the backseat of her limo. Wufei closed the door and knocked on the roof to signal to the driver. The limo pulled away from the curb with a great screech of tires.

Throughly confused, embarassed and angry, Relena balled up her fist. Her nails dug into her palms. "Eddy", she addressed her driver. "Please just take me home." There was no reply. "Eddy...did you hear me?" When the driver still didn't say anything, she leaned forward. "Eddy?"

Duo Maxwell turned his head away from the road and winked one violet eye at her. "Sorry, princess. You're stuck with me."

The color drained from Relena's face. "Where are you taking me, Duo?

"I distinctly heard the good doctor prescibe bed rest." He turned a sharp corner. "I promise, there will be a bed where I'm taking you."

"Duo..."

"Hey." He looked at her reflection in the rearview mirror. "Don't you trust me, princess?"

She pursed her lips. "Not really."

Duo laughed. "Fair enough. Well, do you trust him then?" She couldn't think of an answer. "Relax, princess. We're almost there."

True to his word, in only minutes, Duo brought the limo to an abrupt halt in front of a row of apartment complexes. Relena immediately recognized them.

Heero lived here.

Duo turned around in the front seat and gave her a broad smile. "Do you want me to walk you to the door?"

She shook her head. "I've been here before."

"Remember", he called to her as she stepped out into the snowy street. "Bed rest!" The door slammed behind her. Grinning, Duo waited until she disappeared through the door of Heero's apartment before he screeched away from the curb.

Within minutes, he arrived back at the conference hall. Trowa, Quatre and Hilde were standing in the snow, waiting for him. He pulled up to the curb and rolled down the passenger side window. "Hey baby..." He addressed Hilde with a leer. "Looking to party?"

"Excuse me", she teased back. "Just what kind of girl do you think I am?"

He shrugged and looked at Quatre. Trowa's arm was very obviously around the blond man. "What about you? Looking for a party?"

Quatre leaned back against Trowa. "Already found one. But thanks."

"Guess it's just you and me, babe." He indicated the car door. "In or out?"

Smiling to Quatre and Trowa, Hilde slid into the limousine and pulled the door closed behind her. "So, how did it go?"

Her fiancee grinned wickedly. "Exactly according to plan."

Hilde clapped. "Excellent." Clearing her throat, she waved her hand. "Driver...take me home."

Duo turned off the engine and unbuckled his seat belt, ignoring her command. "Babe, have we ever done it in a limo?"

She pretended to lose herself in thought. "Not that I can recall, no."

"Well then..." He crawled through the partition and sat down next to her on the wide, plush seat. She giggled as he pulled her onto his lap. "There really ought to be a first time for everything..."

"It is a night of firsts", Hilde eagerly reached for his shirt buttons as she felt him sliding her dress up around her thighs. "Who says Relena and Heero should get all the fun?"

****

TBC