It's A Kid Thing

Chapter 4

Melville's Best Friend

 

"You're gonna miss the movie if you don't hurry up."

Relena was greatly irked at this point, and she decided he needed to know that.

"I'll be there in a minute."

She lifted the phone away from her ear and shouted into the receiver. "YOU'RE GOING TO MISS THE ENTIRE BEGINNING!"

"No I'm not. I'll be there."

"What are you doing, anyway, Heero?"

"Cleaning my room."

She nearly dropped the phone. She couldn't believe he was cleaning his room instead of watching the movie with her...a weekly Saturday night ritual. This week the movie was 'Murder By Death', a movie they had seen before, but it was their favorite of all time. She sweat dropped and continued to yell.

"You're going to miss it! It's gonna' start in....55 seconds!" she whimpered.

"I'll be there, and on time, I promise."

She hung up the phone. They always met in her room for the movie night, and she brought the food. They were having pizza tonight. Grumbling, she flumped on the bed, only to be greeted a second later by Heero. He was at her window, waiting to be let in. She looked at him standing there, and smirked. It was raining outside, and the movie still had 10 seconds. She counted down.

He was not a patient person, however, and easily opened the window, breaking the little lock that was on top without breaking the glass. She sighed as he climbed on to her window seat, soaking all her pillows.

"You know, you could've used the door."

"My mission was to get here in time. The quickest route was your window entry."

"You sound like a spy. Do you want a towel?"

"Do you have to ask?"

She grabbed one hanging in the adjoining bathroom, and watched him dry himself. He looked irked that she'd made him wait...or that she'd tried to make him wait, but he'd get over it. And he did as soon as he saw the pizza. He grabbed a slice and sat next to her on her bed.

"That stuff can kill, I swear. Why do you insist on eating that junk?" she stated, grabbing an apple from atop her desk. The movie was starting as she took a huge bite from her apple.

"It's not going to kill me, and besides," he said wiping his mouth on a napkin, "I actually eat."

"What the heck is that supposed to mean? I eat, Heero. I just have to watch my weight is all. I AM a dancer." She said as she took another huge bite from her apple.

He grabbed her from her resting position on her bed, and stood her in front of the mirror. He stood directly behind her, their bodies touching. His chest met her back as he forced her to stare at the mirror. He took her hands, held them out, and entwined her fingers with his.

"Look at you, then look at me. What differences do you see?" He asked.

"I'm much more sexy..."

"That's because you're not wearing any pants, Lena."

Relena usually fell asleep during the movie, and Heero would just let himself out. She just took to wearing her sleepwear so she wouldn't wake up in the middle of the night and have to change out of jeans. She was currently wearing a big t-shirt, which reached mid-thigh.

"Heck no, I'm not. Those boxers mom gave me to sleep in sure aren't comfy. But hey! Check out how feminine I am!"

She lifted her shirt to show him her purple panties. Nothing special...But different from her usual white. She never wanted anything more than simple. He smiled. She obviously felt the need to up it on the looks, as she still hadn't found a boyfriend, and they were in their freshman year.

"Look at you." He said.

"I'm looking." She said, annoyed they were missing the movie.

"Look at how small you are."

"It's all muscle, dolt-brain."

"You're very frail, Lena."

She turned around to meet his stare.

"You aren't insinuating that I'm anorexic are you? I can assure you I'm not, and frankly, I'm hurt you'd think that."

"That's not what I thought and you know it."

She sat back down on her bed, grabbing a pillow, and snuggled with her teddy, Mr. Fuzzums.

Heero had given her that bear when they were five. He watched as she regressed to that stage of life, and put her thumb in her mouth. He flumped next to her.

"You know what I meant."

"....................."

"If you do find a guy, and he hurts you in any way..."

"You don't have to worry. I'll never find my prince charming at this rate. Look." She looked at her thumb. "I'm acting like I'm 5."

"That's okay. I wouldn't want you to get rid of Mr. Fuzzums."

"Nothing on earth could make me part with my Uzzum Fuzzums." She chirped, snuggling the bear.

"Please spare me." He grumbled.

"Ah! I love this part!"

 

*SWITCHES TO MOVIE*

 

 " 'And you are?' Questioned the lady.

 'Bensonmum'.  The butler said.

   'Oh thank you Benson.' Stated the lady, eager to get to her room.

   'Bensonmum' the butler repeated.

  'I beg your pardon?' stated the lady's husband.

  'My name, sir.' Replied the butler, still leading them to their room.

  'What is?' questioned the husband.

  'Bensonmum' repeated the butler.

  'How odd....' Spoke the wife.

  'My father's name.' Chirped the butler.

  'What was your father's name?' the husband asked.

  'Howod, Howod Bensonmum.' Replied the butler."

           

She mouthed the words as they flew by, laughing herself silly at the end.

"You are so weird." He stated. She laughed and snuggled Mr. Fuzzums more.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

They walked in to school together. Everyone was crowding around a huge poster in the middle of the hall. The young ladies and gentlemen in their prim and proper uniforms seemingly made more noise than a stampede. The couple sweat-dropped. They stood behind the chattering students, nonchalantly waiting to see what they were looking at. They were the only two in the entire hall not talking. In the middle of the frenzy, stood the two motionless souls. A bell rang, and the screaming youths darted to class, leaving Heero and Relena in front of the poster.

 

Biggest dance of the year!!!!! Theme: Hawaii!!!! Tickets on sale today!!!!!!!

 

There was a couple on the poster, made to look stunning. They were supposedly having the best night of their life. Heero and Relena remained silent, starring at the poster. The two looked completely like a couple of androids. They had stood there with all that yelling and hustle and bustle, and not made a word or a movement. Their eyes weren't even fully open when they spoke.

"Papa John's?"

She nodded.

"Monty Python."

"Big Business"

"Airplane"

"Deal."

That said, they went to their classes.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

 

Heero and his friends had gathered at Chucky Cheese. It was a surprise party, and, of course, Lena staged it all. She laughed her butt off when she saw the look on his face. He never in a million years would have thought of Chucky Cheese's. Inside, Qutre, Duo, Wu Fie, and Trowa greeted him. Relena was the only chick there. He had opened his presents, which consisted of a bunch of car stuff, seeing as how he'd gotten his license the other day. They were busy eating birthday cake when Relena called everyone's attention.

"Heero, I've known you since the very day I was born. I just want to express how I feel....that you got your license before me." She joked. "Okay, seriously, though, you're my best friend, Heero, and I don't know what I'd do without you. Happy birthday." She stepped away from him, and went over to a little karaoke machine. He blinked over and over, confused as to why she hadn't given him a huge hug...which she did every birthday...He didn't have to wait long for an answer. Familiar music started to play, and he couldn't help but smile as she picked up a mike. She was singing their song. (ß----They have a song!! Kawaii or what? J)

 

And I never thought I'd feel this way

And as far as I'm concerned,

I'm glad I got the chance to say

That I do believe I love you.

And if I should ever go away,

Well then close your eyes and try

To feel the way we do today.

And then if you can remember~         *She looked at him, smiling. *

Keep smiling, keep shining

Knowing you can always count on me, for sure.

That's what friends are for.

For good times and bad times,

I'll be on your side forever more!

That's what friends are for.  *To everyone's amazement, he joined her, singing the next verse.*

Well you came in loving me,

And now there's so much more I see,  *He sang.*

And so by the way I thank you.

Oh and then for the times when we're apart,

Well then close your eyes and know

The words are coming from my heart!

And then if you can remember~

 

Keep smiling, keep shining

Knowing you can always count on me, for sure

That's what friends are for

For good times and bad times

I'll be on your side forever more

That's what friends are for.   

 

They sang together, in harmony, knowing the song like the back of their hands. The music slowly faded, and she leaned on his shoulder.

"Happy birthday, Heero."

"Thanks Relena."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

"Will you wait up?" She rounded the curb with a speed of a demon, trying not to loose her balance by grabbing on to a pole. He refused to slow down.

"Heero! No one can match that speed! Slow down!" Women and children passed her at an abnormally high speed. She blushed, ashamed of her impolite behavior.  She had had enough, and started to slow down. She was trying to catch her breath when Heero came up beside her. She didn't even see him, as she has her head bent down, panting...gulping down the air.

"Too fast?" he questioned.

Scared at the sudden noise, she jumped a mile into the air, and fell on her butt. Sweat dropping, she clumsily rose to her feet.

"You could have at least helped me up." She grumbled, rubbing her bottom.

"Sorry. You looked funny. I figured if I had helped you, you would've just slapped me away anyway."

"That's true." She said, grabbing on to Heero so she wouldn't fall again.

"I swear. Whoever thought the concept of roller blading needs to be killed."

"You're just mad cause you're not good at it."

"I'm better than most."

"But you're still not good." He chuckled.

"If I didn't think I was going to fall, I'd smack you."

He laughed again. He put his arm around her waist, and brought her in close, letting her balance using his body. She had just gotten steady when she looked out into the park. There, in the midst of a small pond, was a very, very handsome boy. She got that love-struck look in her eye, and it freaked Heero out, as she had never done anything like this before. He figured all that clothes and underwear trying-to-look-nice crap was in full blossom right now, and he looked frantically for the object of her desires.

He freaked out. This man was totally amazingly attractive...not that Heero was measuring male attractiveness...but, dang. This guy had it all. He was incredibly tan, which was elaborated by his black wife-beater. (a horrible name in my opinion) His hair was roughly the same color as Relena's, but, in the sun, hers had more of a glow. It's length was about the same as Heero's...though much more kempt. He was also skating, and it appeared he had stopped to get some water. He was tall, and VERY muscular. Relena had yet to stop drooling.

"Like what you see?"

"Uzzum...Fuzzum?"

He dropped her, sweat dropping at her lack of intelligence.

"Hey! What was that for?" she complained as she tried to get back up.

"That guy over there? He to your liking?"

"What? Him? I....Ch...I guess. If you're into that kinda thing. Me? I'm into...you know...with the...and....wow....Look at his hair...."

"Relena, you're not making any sense."

"I'm gonna go talk to him."

Now it was Heero's turn to fall. By the time he had regained his composer, she was on her way down to him. He watched as she practically sailed down there....Until she tripped over a stick....and flipped over....landing on the one guy she'd ever had a crush on.

Heero didn't know whether to laugh or help her. It had all gone so horribly wrong. He decided to laugh.

 

"I am so sorry." She stated, trying to get back up, with no success.

"Eh...Don't worry about it. It's not like it happens often, right?

"Not to people, no....Bushes and trees, sure."

He helped her up, and steadied her balance. It was then that the boy looked into her eyes...and she his. They were instantly fixed on each other.

"What's your name?"

"I'm... I mean, I go by...Relena...." She was totally swooning.

"I'm Matt."

She smiled warmly at him, and he began to check her, making sure she was okay from the fall.

Heero watched it all, after he had finished laughing. He watched it all through narrowed slits of eyes. He watched it all.....

 

 

 

 

Disclaimer: I just can't say that I own them....I don't own the song, either. But! I can sing it! Yay! So, I hope you guys liked this, if not, well.....I dunno. I have no threats. I just hope ya do!

*huggles!*

~MBF

 

BTW- I have to state something about that random part about the dance....I thought that was the cutest part! They knew what the other was thinking and all that jazz. Basically, it was for the reader to understand how their friendship has grown...I hope everyone understood it...............