Disclaimer:   This is a fanfic. You know what fanfics are.

 

It starts here.

For comments, suggestions, flames or reviews, you can email me at raizenheero@aol.com

In Blood
by Neesah

Chapter 1: Light born from darkness

 

She wrapped her arms around herself as she stood by the open window, the night breeze gently caressing her face. She sensed something in the air --- a forebodance, a cataclysmic event. And what was more frightening was that her instincts were seldom wrong. She might have turned over to darkness but she didn't lose any of her powers as a white witch. Actually, her heritage proved to be very potent, the vampiric blood in her strengthening it even more. She suddenly felt a chill ran down her spine as her eyes caught sight of the crimson moon --- a Lunar Eclipse.

"Blood..." she whispered as if in a trance, her eyes fixed on the moon. It was like a sign, an omen, a confirmation. Something big was about to happen and whatever it was, it would be happening soon. And it definitely had something to do with her.

She let out a small sigh, her hand unconsciously reaching down to her stomach. She had been feeling kinda weird these past couple of months, with the bouts of nausea, mood swings, unexplained tiredness and unusual cravings she had been experiencing. If they didn't know any better, she, Heero and their friends would have thought that she was pregnant. Duo evenjoked about it from the beginning, teasing her and Heero mercilessly. But everyone started getting worried when a whole month had passed and she was still feeling sick. Vampires don't get sick, and they definitely don't get pregnant. So what was wrong with her?

Without warning, her hands shot out to grip the window railing for support as a sudden dizziness overwhelmed her, almost causing her to fall to the ground. Steadying herself, she closed her eyes. When she felt that she had gathered her bearings, she opened them again, fixing her gaze at the still bloodied moon.

"What's wrong with me?" she asked out loud, waiting, hoping, wishing for any sign of an answer.

Nothing.

She wrapped her arms around herself again. She felt cold. Very cold. Which, by the way, she shouldn't be feeling. "What's wrong with me?" she whispered, a little more desperately this time. For the past eight months, it felt like she wasn't in control of her body anymore. She felt so vulnerable, so frail, so...

"...Human."

She almost laughed at the irony of it. She had been a vampire for so long that she had forgotten how it felt like to be a human. And sometimes, during her talks with the others, they would all wonder about being mortals again. Well, for the past months, fate was reminding her how it felt like. A little too much, actually. And this night was the worst. Her body felt so heavy and tired that she had trouble getting out their coffin when she woke up. She couldn't even lift herself a few inches up the air, much less fly for that matter. That was why everyone thought it best if she would just rest inside the castle and not go out to hunt with them. Heero would have stayed with her but since she was having her 'unusual cravings', he had to do the hunting for her.

She smiled, in spite of what was happening to her body. Just thinking of Heero and the others was enough to make her feel in control again. She looked around her husband's study, memories vividly playing in her mind. For a whole millennium, this castle had been her home, Heero, Duo, Trowa, Quatre, Wufei, Hilde, Catherine, Dorothy and Sally her only family. True, there were countless vampires who pay homage to them, and there were millions of humans to hunt, but what she enjoyed the most were the moments she spent with her husband and friends. Being with them felt so natural, so right. It was like everything was the way it supposed to be...

Well, it really was the way it should be, being preordained and all. Still, she believed that even without the Prophecy, being with Heero and the rest of the gang would be the most natural thing to have occurred. If the 5 guys weren't kidnapped and turned into vampires 1900 years ago, they would have all been happily married, their children would all be friends and so would their grandchildren. Surely, they would all be dead by now but with generations after generations of descendants, it wouldn't have mattered. At least, they had enjoyed their chance with life, even if it didn't span hundreds and thousands of years.  

It wasn't that she had regrets. Heero had constantly asked her if she ever regretted letting him turn her into a vampire and she had always told him the truth when she answered that she didn't.  There were no regrets. There would never be regrets... just guilt. And the knowledge that while she was happy and content, the whole human race was suffering, the planet rightfully theirs forcefully taken from them by beings, though powerful, had no right to claim this world as their own further amplified this guilt. Vampires had no rightful place on Earth, they never had, but because of her --- her weakness, her selfishness, her power, her love, these fiends gained dominance over everything, And as long as she would remain in this world, the Golden Age of Darkness would continue. Which she suspected would be forever. It was hard enough to kill the King's Four Advisors and their wives, let alone the Queen. Though 900 years younger, the Queen was 5x as strong as all the Advisors combined. Even the known means of killing vampires, like exposing them to the sun or setting them on fire would never kill the Royal Ten. But they knew of one way of killing the 4 advisors and the Queen in just one blow --- that is to kill the King. The 5 of them were linked to Heero, so if he died, they would die with him. And if the Four Advisors died, their wives, who were linked to each of them, would die with them too. But though it sounded simple enough, it would be impossible to achieve. The Prophecy had foretold of Heero being the last Vampire King, the most powerful of all the Vampire Kings who ever came into existence. Humans and vampires alike knew this, even the King before him, Tristam, the vampire who sired him said that Heero would probably be one of those few true immortals, for the means to kill him was yet to be discovered. He couldn't even kill himself if he wanted to, which by the way, he found out for himself.  So, as logic and reason showed, there was no way for them to die. They were all doomed to live and rule forever, feeding off from this Earth, further plunging this planet into darkness and misery.

But they didn't ask for any of this enormous power and responsibility. All that they wished for was to be together, that wouldn't be a sin now, would it? It wasn't their fault that Fate found it necessary to link their need to be together with the ushering of the Golden Age of Darkness. Still, she knew that she couldn't escape the consequences of her actions. Sooner or later, she would have to face the other force that rules the universe --- karma.

Maybe this is the payment for my sins. A retribution, she thought. Because I caused so much suffering in this world, I need to suffer too, along with them.

 

If that was the case, she would willingly endure this pain, just so she could ease her guilt. But she had this nagging suspicion that there was something more to it than just mere reprisal...

She suddenly jerked her head towards the door. She swore she heard footsteps. She waited. Nothing.

She heard it again. Running footsteps, whisperings. It was strange, considering that she couldn't sense anyone in the entire castle. Was her present condition affecting her senses as well?

She swooned. She felt dizzy, lightheaded. It was as if she could hear muffled voices, an echo of a conversation.  

 

She shook her head to shrug off the voices. I better lie down and rest, she thought. She tried lifting herself up the air but failing, she started walking out the study and towards their bedchamber.

She walked slowly along the corridors, her footsteps reverting against the walls of the empty castle.  It was then that she could almost see two shadowy figures walking in front of her --- a tall woman in her early thirties with shoulder-length platinum blonde hair and an 85 yr old woman. Relena felt a vague sense of recognition, an unexplainable affinity to them.

The pair stopped in front of a room. The younger woman knocked and hearing a response from inside, she opened the door, letting the old woman enter first before getting in herself. Instinctively, Relena followed them. What she saw inside made her gasp.

Though it was almost two thousand years, she would never forget that place.

It was her parents' bedroom.

More precisely, her first parents' bedroom. She had to always remind herself that she was reborn twice in the same clan.

So that was why everything felt real and surreal at the same time --- she was having a clairvoyance! It had been so long since she had one that she didn't realize it at first. But why now after all this time? Was this why she was feeling sick for months?

It was a very big room. There was a king-sized bed at the center and a fireplace at the far corner. She saw her 8 yr-old brother Milliardo, and her 10 yr old cousin Lady Une gathered around the bed, busy looking at something, though they glanced at the door momentarily when they heard someone came in, moving a little bit to the side to make space for the old woman. Her father was seated on the bed, his arm wrapped around his wife's shoulders as she leaned against the pillows, their faces glowing. The couple looked up at the old woman as she slowly approached the bed while her Aunt Gwen, her father's older sister, went to join her daughter.

 

A sense of forebodance overcame her again. If her observations were correct, she knew what event she was beholding. But why this particular event? Would seeing this have any significance to her or her present predicament?

Knowing that the answers would be revealed soon enough if she would just pay close attention to the scene unfolding before her, Relena followed the old woman, who, in turn, stopped millimeters away from the couple on the bed. 

"Zolo, Katrina," Aalysha greeted, her bright blue eyes meeting the couple's for a moment before solemnly regarding the bundle cradled in Katrina's arms.

 

The couple smiled, Katrina lifting her arms to let the Elder hold the bundle. Aalysha carefully accepted the bundle from her and the moment her fingers touched it, she knew. There was no mistake. The bundle felt hot and she herself felt like burning. Aalysha smiled warmly and held the baby near her breast. "What's her name?" she asked.

 

Zolo and Katrina looked at each other. "Relena," Zolo told his grandmother. "Relena Peacecraft."

 

The old woman nodded. "A fitting name for someone as powerful as her. Your father would have been proud."

 

The atmosphere in the room suddenly became thick with anticipation and fear as everyone looked at her, the unspoken question hanging in the air. Every witch clan had its own way of choosing its leader and being the most powerful of all the witch clans in existence, the Peacecrafts had the most extraordinary, not to mention, the most awe-inspiring tradition of succession. For the Peacecrafts, the most powerful witch born at that time would become the next Witch Paramount, called the Suprema and only the current Suprema would recognize her successor --- by the Bloodfire in their veins. The Primary Element of the Peacecraft Clan was Fire and so the stronger the Bloodfire, the more powerful the witch would be. And for countless generations, it seemed that only the women in their clan could be this powerful, that was why the Suprema would always carry the Peacecraft name, even though married, and all children born to her would carry the Peacecraft name instead of her husband's name, to ensure the continuation of their line. Her daughters and granddaughters, with the exception of her Heir, were not required to keep the Peacecraft name when married though. But this was only half the reason why their tradition of succession was the most extraordinary among all the witch clans.

 

"How powerful, Grandma?" Gwen asked quietly as she carefully studied the old woman's face. "Powerful enough to be..." her voice faltered, knowing what would happen next if what they were thinking was confirmed.

 

"The Heir?" Aalysha finished for her as she smiled kindly at the oldest daughter of her only son. When Gwen was born, Aalysha had hoped that she was the Heir. But though powerful, it turned out she wasn't the one so Aalysha comforted herself into thinking that Gwen might one day bore her her Heir. Then Lady Une was born, who for her part, was even more powerful than her mother. Aalysha even felt a faint reaction of the Bloodfire in her veins when she held Lady Une as an infant and yet she still wasn't the one. By this time, Aalysha was the only one remaining of her generation, and even the generation after her was starting to dwindle, including her son and his wife. She had hoped and waited all these years for the one who would take her place for she couldn't rest until her Heir was born. That was the rule. And that was why the Birth of the Heir had always produced mixed feelings on everyone, for the Birth of the Heir heralds the death of the current Suprema. The Heir and the Suprema were part of a single Flame. Both of them drew their power, strength, knowledge and life force from a single source, from a single reservoir. That was the reason why during this period of transition, when the Heir was just born, both their flames were reduced to half so in order to make the Heir's Flame complete, the current Suprema must give up her own Flame. From the ashes of the old, a young one would emerge, just like the phoenix. The succession of one Suprema to another would always be a cycle of death and rebirth, for there could only be one Suprema in a lifetime. 

 

Aalysha returned her gaze to the bundle in her arms. Her eyes softened some more, her lips curling into an amused but proud smile as she felt the Bloodfire in the baby's veins again. After all these years, her long wait was finally over. "She is," she answered triumphantly. Suddenly, Aalysha's eyes turned silver and for a whole minute, she remained in a deep trance. When her eyes returned to its normal color, they had a trace of sadness in them. "Actually, of all the witches that was born and would be born in our clan, she is the most powerful. And because of this, she could either save or destroy the whole world. It would all depend on her choice."

 

Everyone in the room was stunned silent with her declaration. Katrina was the first one to recover. With a confident smile, she said, "Surely my daughter would choose to save the world, wouldn't she, Grandma?"

 

"There are times when the destroyer and the savior are one and the same. If it is not her, then it would be someone of her," was the old woman's cryptic response. "For Light, even how tainted, would remain as Light. And no matter how Darkness tries to swallow it, it would continue on casting its radiance." Seeing the grim expressions on everyone's faces, she added, "Don't worry. Remember that it's the same with Life. Life would always find a way. And as what our clan had and would always attest to, that though Life eventually leads to Death, Life also emerges from Death."   

 

And before anyone could respond, Aalysha carried the baby towards the fireplace. With her two hands supporting the baby's back, she raised her over the fire. "With fire I bless thee, Relena Peacecraft, for it is whence you came forth, as did I, and to whence I would return, and so would you, when your fire is needed to ignite another flame --- the flame of the one who would take your place. And so, my Heir, I offer you my Fire!"   

 

Everyone shielded their eyes from the intense light produced when the fire leapt from the fireplace and enveloped Aalysha and the baby. No one had and would ever see the Fire Sacrifice even if they were in the same room as it was being done for the intense light would always blind them. During this time, all the things that the Heir would need to know on how to be a Suprema would be passed on to her. When the light faded, they saw Aalysha lying on the ground, the baby wrapped protectively in her arms.

 

Relena then heard her infant-self started to cry. She watched as everyone yelled in anguish and with the exception of her mother, rush towards the two bodies lying on the ground.  The Former Suprema was dead, the Heir named and blessed, true, but it still wasn't over. There were still more to do in order for the succession to be complete. Aalysha's funeral rite, for instance. The Fire Sacrifice only ensured the return of the former Suprema's Flame to the Source, her body still needed to be burned within the next hour and so, her ashes placed in the urn where all the ashes of the Supremas before her where kept. Also, though the Heir could do the duties of a Suprema at a very young age because of all the knowledge passed on to her, she still had to wait until her 18th birthday to officially become the Witch Paramount of the clan, for the Heir's full power would only be manifested when she turned 18.

A birth and a funeral. For their clan, this two always come together, the one leading to the other. Always.

But her clan's tradition of succession wasn't the thing that concerned Relena at the moment. There were a million questions running inside her head but a voice kept rising above the din of her confused mind, like a chant. 'There are times when the destroyer and the savior are one and the same. If it is not her, then it would be someone of her.'

 

Why wasn't I told about that part? she wondered. They told her about what Aalysha said when she was born, that being the most powerful witch born in their clan she had the power of either saving or destroying the world, but not the part about the destroyer and savior being one and the same. What did it mean? And would finally knowing it matter now?  

 

As if the ringing inside her head wasn't enough, another wave of dizziness overcame her once more. Instinctively, she closed her eyes, willing the pain to go away.  She then heard a familiar voice say in a harsh whisper, "This is ridiculous! I don't know how she made us agree with this."

Her eyes snapped open and she was once again surprised with what she was presently beholding.

She saw her brother and cousin huddled near the door. But whence they were kids earlier, at this particular moment they were all grown-up. Her sister-in-law, Noin, was also with them. Relena followed their gazes and saw a bed at the far side of the room where a priest was administering last confession to its sole occupant--- her!

So now she was reliving the scene when she first died!

Noin reached out to squeeze her husband's hand. "Let her be, dear. All that we can do now is to respect her wishes."

 

He suddenly whirled around to face her. "Respect her wishes? You mean humor her, don't you?" he spat out. "Asking for a priest to give her last confession, who just happens to be the priest who's supposed to marry her and Heero, because she thinks she's about to die... It's downright preposterous! She just became the Suprema, dammit. When did it ever happen that the Suprema dies without her Heir, much less receive her last confession from the town priest, huh?" 

 

"Whether you like it or not, it's happening now," replied Noin, quite harshly in fact. Instantly, she regretted being hard on him. She knew that he didn't really mean what he said, that calling the town priest was really not that big of a deal. True, nobody in their town knew of what was actually happening in their clan, with the exception of the person who had to be married into the family. And though it was kinda weird that when the Matriarch got married, she retained her family name and that the birth of the next Matriarch coincides with the death of the current Matriarch, the people in their town didn't ask any questions. They accepted the fact that there would always be traditions that a particular family had to follow, that there were things that were better left alone. And that they should mind their own business. What mattered was that the Peacecrafts had always been one of the families in their town that they could rely on, one of the families who wouldn't think twice in helping those in need.

 

Her tone softening, she added, "Haven't you felt her Flame weakening? Haven't you felt her slowly slipping away, bit by bit?" She placed her finger under his chin and gently turned his head towards the bed. " Look at her closely, Milliardo, then tell me that it's not true."

 

Milliardo remained silent, his eyes never leaving the golden-haired girl lying on the bed. He didn't need Noin to tell him that --- of course he already knew. Of all people, he should know. But there was just this stubborn part of him that refused to believe this was really happening, clinging to that small hope that things were not as they deem them to be...     

 

"I know that you know it's true, that I'm right. If I, who doesn't have any inherent powers, could clearly sense it, what more would someone who shares the same blood? You're just having trouble accepting the fact that you're little sister is dying right in front of your very eyes, her soul being eaten away by loneliness and sorrow." In a small whisper, Noin added, "She can't live without him, you know."

 

The tears that threatened to fall from Milliardo's eyes suddenly disappeared, and in its place was blazing anger as he faced his wife again. "What about us? Aren't we that important to her? Aren't we enough to give her reason to continue on living? What about our clan? Did she forget that being the Suprema means that she has to think of her clan first before herself, that she has certain responsibilities?  And one of those responsibilities is not dying unless an Heir was born!"

 

**That's why she won't die... She can't die... yet** he reasoned to himself.    

  

"But she said that there'll be an Heir," Lady Une told them quietly, her hands resting on her protruding belly. She then faced them, tears streaking her face. "She said that she made sure that there'll be an Heir when she dies. Not if, when.  And she said it with so much certainty that I couldn't help but believe her."

 

**Especially when she touched my stomach and her hands felt warm** Une added, but only in her mind. It was like a flame actually leapt from Relena's hands to her body... More specifically to the baby inside her body...

 

"But how? How in the world could she make sure? No one could just force the Heir to be born." Milliardo asked her cousin.

 

Lady Une smiled at him sadly. "Have you forgotten, Mill? Relena is the Suprema. She's that powerful. The most powerful, in fact. She could do anything, make the impossible possible. Except..."

 

"Be with the man she loves," he finished for her.

 

"And because of that, even with all her powers, she wouldn't be truly happy," Lady Une continued, placing her hand on his shoulder --- to give him support as well as get strength from him. Since they were little, they always had borrowed strength from each other.

 

Milliardo looked at her first, then at Noin then returned his gaze towards the bed. At that particular moment, he understood everything. He didn't want to lose her but he knew he shouldn't be selfish. He shouldn't be thinking of himself right now.  **What's the use of having her alive if she's dead inside? Maybe this way, she'll be happy. Or at least, at peace** he thought.

 

Suddenly, he heard her voice in his head. **Brother***

 

Noin and Une also heard her voice calling to them. They saw that the priest was done with the confession, instructing her to reflect on her life and pray silently. And though her eyes were closed, the three of them could hear her clearly speaking to them in their minds. **I'm so sorry**

 

**Don't worry about it, Relena. Conserve your strength** he told her.

 

A small smile appeared on her face. She opened her eyes and looked at her cousin, then her sister-in-law and finally, her brother. **Know that I'll always love you**

 

**And we, you** the three answered.

 

Relena smiled again. **I know. That's why I feel bad**

 

Hearing her response, the ache in his heart grew more, almost becoming unbearable, as he finally accepted the truth. With this acceptance, the dam finally broke, and the tears that he had been holding before came flooding down his face as his whole body rocked with sobs. Noin hugged him tightly, also crying, while Lady Une wrapped her arms around herself, crying silently. They remained that way for a while, expressing their grief in the only way they knew how --- through tears. And they took comfort from it too.

 

Lady Une and Milliardo suddenly stiffen at the same time as Relena looked towards the window, as if hearing something. They felt a force, so weak in fact that it was either being controlled and stifled or it was just nothing. But it was definitely there. And it was so near to them too...

 

They then heard Relena address them again. In words, this time. She wanted to have a moment for herself.

 

They acquiesced, wanting to grant her final wish. The priest left her side and went out of the room. Noin and Une followed suit, Milliardo closing the door behind them. Once outside the room, Milliardo sighed, his sad blue eyes meeting the priest's brown, sympathetic ones. Though the priest didn't know anything about the Peacecraft secret, he knew about what Relena lost. All the people in their town did. Actually, there were 4 other people in their town who were suffering the same 'illness' as Relena right now.

 

The priest glanced at his three silent companions, and wanting to lift the mood, he asked, "So Une, I haven't seen Treize lately. Is he out in another business deal again? I hope he'll be here when his child is born."

 

Lady Une wiped her face with the back of her hand and smiled. "He wouldn't miss it for the whole world, Father Matthews," she answered, patting her 7-month old tummy affectionately. "He promised to be here by the end of the week. He'll then have plenty of time to wait and see our child to be born."

 

"That's good to hear." Facing Milliardo, he said, "I better go now. If you need anything, just call me, ok?"

 

"Yes, Father. And thanks."

 

The priest placed a comforting hand on the young man's shoulder. "Be strong, my lad. It is a shame that such a thing would happen to someone as young and as promising as your sister. But always remember that things happen for a reason. We might not see it right now, but eventually we'll be able to see the big picture. Promise me that whatever happens, you won't lose faith."

 

Milliardo nodded. The priest smiled at the trio one last time and was already walking away when all of a sudden, they heard Lady Une cry out in pain.

 

Father Matthews rushed back to where they were, seeing Lady Une being supported by Milliardo and Noin. "Une, what's wrong?" the priest asked.

 

In between gasps of pain, Lady Une replied, "The baby. It's coming."

 

"But it's still too early!" Noin exclaimed.

 

Milliardo looked down and saw that her water broke. "I know it's too early. Nevertheless, it'll be born tonight." Sweeping his cousin on his arms, he said, "Father, can you please call for a doctor? And can you  tell one of the servants to send a message to Treize. Noin and I will take Une to the master's bedroom."

 

The priest nodded and quickly went away as Milliardo immediately carried Lady Une to the master's bedroom, the nearest room he could think of from their present location aside from Relena's room. Noin opened the door for them and Milliardo went straight to the bed to deposit his precious cargo.

 

Lady Une looked at the couple sitting beside her on the bed. "Milliardo, Noin, I... " She closed her eyes momentarily. "I couldn't stop it from coming. Treize will miss everything."

 

"You can't stop it, silly, even if you use those powers of yours" Noin told her. "Just relax and concentrate. It'll be ok."

 

"Noin's right. Besides, we already sent a message for Treize. He'll be here," Milliardo added reassuringly.

 

Une managed a smile. "Thanks. I don't know what I'll do if you're not he---" She didn't finish her sentence when another wave of pain cut through her like a knife. "I can't bear it! It's too hot! God, I feel like I'm burning!" Another scream of pain escaped her lips.

 

Milliardo stiffened. **Hot? Burning?** If his recollection was correct, it was the exact same thing his mother yelled when Relena was born. He then remembered what his cousin told him earlier. 'She said that she made sure that there'll be an Heir when she dies. Not if, when.  And she said it with so much certainty that I couldn't help but believe her'

 

It suddenly clicked. "The Heir," he whispered. He suddenly shot up and ran outside the room. "RELENAAAAA!!!"

 

It was in that part that everything started swirling again, causing her to close her eyes.  As she recovered from the attack on her senses caused by the clairvoyance, warning bells went off her head. She had seen two events that involved her --- her birth, her death, as well as the succession of one Suprema to the other, but for what reason? As a learning experience? A warning? Perhaps a hint? Or a clue maybe? An answer was beginning to form at the back of her mind, making her very afraid, afraid even to open her eyes for fear of what she might see next.

But she still opened them, realizing for the first time that she was in the library of their castle. Aside from the rows and rows of books, there were paintings by old maestros scattered here and there, all of which were collected throughout the years. Her gaze lingered over them but for a moment, for she caught sight of the red moon by the tall window. 

She raised an eyebrow questioningly. The Lunar Eclipse wasn't over yet? This might have been the longest one in history.

The warning bells inside her head rang louder, which made her decide to turn around and continue her way to their bedchamber.

She just made one step forward towards the door of the library when without warning, a gasp escaped her lips, followed by a shriek of pain. Unable to continue holding herself up, she dropped to her knees, her hands grasping her abdomen. She could feel a sharp pain there and it was as if she was burning from inside out. She bit her tongue to prevent any sound to escape her lips. Vampires had very sensitive hearing and she didn't want to be heard by anyone, especially Heero.

The pain in her abdomen was growing, becoming more unbearable, just like the feel of the fire consuming every fiber of her being. Hot tears started to fall on her face and when she felt another searing pain shook her body, the last of her will broke, causing her to scream. And with it came a plea. Heero!

 

  

Heero didn't know that hunting for twin redhead girls in their mid twenties would be such a chore, even for the King. He had been searching for hours now, peering in at windows and if Relena hadn't asked for them specifically, he would have gotten any twin girls he could grab and take them to her. A smile appeared on his handsome, serious face. Over the years, it actually became a game to them. Searching for a specific prey added a certain excitement to their hunt. But for the past months, Relena had been asking for very specific prey. Way specific. And if he didn't know that there was no way for vampires to conceive, he would have assumed that his wife was pregnant, with Relena acting and feeling so strange. The smile disappeared and was replaced by a thoughtful frown. It would have been nice to have a child, he thought but he didn't pursue the matter further. He wasn't the type to dwell on things that couldn't be. And besides, he finally spotted the prey he was searching for.

He opened the locks of the windows through the power of his mind and was about to enter the room where the twins were slumbering when he suddenly froze. He felt a chill run down his spine, adding to the uneasy feeling he had felt ever since he left the castle He shrugged it off, intent on finishing his mission when a scream echoed in his skull, followed by the sound of his name spoken in such pain and anguish he winced. That voice was so familiar it was unmistakable.

Forgetting his prey, he shot up to the air, flying as fast as his powers would let him towards the castle. Relena, I'm coming.  

 

 

At the same time all over the world, vampires momentarily stopped what they were doing, their eyes darting towards the direction where the Royal Castle was. Something was wrong, they could feel it in their bones but they didn't know what. All they knew was that it had something to do with the Queen, the one who swayed the power in their favor. And lately, they could feel the balance tilting little by little away from them, being swayed by a force from a source unknown, almost overpowering the Queen's hold on it. But they shouldn't be worried, should they? The Vampire Kingdom collapsing wasn't part of the Prophecy, right? Or was it? Either way, they couldn't do anything about it. The King, the Queen and the Four Advisors would figure it out, wouldn't they? With that thought in mind, they continued on what they were doing, though the shadow of forebodance never left their minds.

But it wasn't this shadow of forebodance that forced eight vampires to stop their respective hunts and immediately flew back towards the castle. It was the thought that a very close friend was in danger that worried them. And so, Duo, Hilde, Trowa, Catherine, Quatre, Dorothy, Wufei and Sally rushed to where Relena was, desperately hoping that everything was alright, that they wouldn't be too late.

 

 

Heero was the first one to arrive, landing gracefully inside the study. He was having trouble pinpointing Relena's exact location for some reason and it was making him both mad and scared. Finally he felt her. He then vanished.

He reappeared by the library door and what he saw inside made his blood ran cold.

"RELENA!" he yelled as he rushed to her side. Relena was lying down the floor, tossing, turning and writhing in pain. He kneeled down and gathered her up to himself. She felt so cold, so weak. Her life force was dwindling, as if being sipped away from her, drained, stolen. She also lost a lot of blood and he knew that if she didn't get a transfusion fast, she would definitely die.

He had no time to ask what happened or what caused this. So what he did was just smooth away the hair from her face, also wiping her tears and sweat away as he whispered, "I'm here, Relena. Hang in there." He placed her face on his neck. "Drink from me so you can regain your strength. Come on, drink."

With an effort, she opened her eyes. "I-tt's no use, Heero. No amount of blood c-could save me now."

Heero glared at her. "You're not going to die on me. Not again. I wouldn't allow it. It's not part of the Prophecy."

She conjured up a small smile amidst the terrible pain. "May-be it is. I t-think I understand everyt-thing now ----" She screamed again and Heero held her tighter.

"Don't be stubborn, Relena! Drink from me, dammit!" he pleaded, forcing her face down his neck. Another wave of pain coursed through her body, the burning sensation heightening even more, causing her to bite down on his neck. Hard. Heero could feel the blood flowing form him to her but it didn't have any effect. She continued sucking but it wasn't helping her recover. It was as if all the energy she sucked in was being channeled somewhere else, like filling a hole-infested pail with water.

When Relena finally let him go, her eyes were filled with pain, love and acceptance as she gazed at him. "I-I could drink all your blood un-til you're dry and it still would-n't make any difference. He n-needed my Flame to live. It's t-he way it is. I-It's the way it has a-always been. For h-him to survive, I have to..."

"He? Who's he?" Heero demanded, his face hardening, his voice threatening. "Tell me who's doing this to you and I'll ---" But he never got the chance to finish his sentence for Relena screamed louder this time and was enveloped in a white, blinding light. Heero couldn't see anything and yet he held on to her, never meaning to let her go.  Amidst the whiteness of his surroundings, he suddenly could see vivid images... a familiar scene.

He blinked. Was this a vision induced by the unholy power at work at this very moment? Or was this just a reflection of his own memories... memories passed on to him? He then heard a voice --- a female voice...

 

 

The Chronicler scribbled even more furiously now, seeing something no normal human being could see. Once again, a force had overtaken the hand that held the quill. The Chronicler was now in the important part, where the voice spoke of something everyone in their clan had known about for countless generations, transferred through word of mouth. And that whole incident, together with the powerful words the Chronicler was now hearing were for the first time being transcribed to a parchment...

 

 

Heero then realized that the voice belonged to the Oracle who told the Prophecy to the first Vampire King, Laszlo. He knew coz that knowledge was passed on to him as was the tradition of succession of the Vampire Kings. But the memories were biased, limited. This was the first time that he actually witnessed the whole thing, if it was witnessing he really did. He shouldn't have been surprised with the Oracle's words, knowing them by heart, for the Prophecy spoke of his and Relena's part in the shaping of the world's future.

But now that he was seeing the event in his own point of view, hearing the Prophecy with his own ears and perceiving it with his own mind, it unsettled him.  The Prophecy that was passed on to him was incomplete! Or so he thought, for there was a part that he hadn't known about. And he doubt the other Vampire Kings before him would have known. Laszlo would have either dismissed it as irrelevant, misinterpreted it or intentionally ignored and erased it from his memory. Whatever it was, there was no denying that Laszlo made a grave mistake for Heero knew that one tidbit of information had an enormous significance and impact to the course of the Prophecy. Though he didn't know what that was yet. 

The bright light enveloping the whole room gradually subsided, contracting into itself. And when Heero's vision finally adjusted to his surroundings, he could see that the blinding light earlier was now just concentrated into one glowing core, located by Relena's outstretched legs. Still holding Relena's body to him, he lifted his shoulders, wanting to take a glimpse of the glowing object. And what he saw took his breath away.

It was a baby. Spun-gold hair crowned his head and though newly-born, his bright, blue eyes were wide open. His radiance was unmistakable that Heero thought he was Light personified --- he was absolutely perfect! Something akin to a fatherly pried tugged at his heart.

He smiled. He looked down at his sleeping wife and as he gently caressed her face, he breathed, "Relena, we have a son. Can you believe it? We have a son!"

Relena didn't answer. His forehead furrowed.  Strange. She felt so cold and lifeless in his hands but he swore he could still sense her life force pulsing strongly, though somewhat different...

He tried shaking her. "Relena. Wake up. Look at our son. He has your hair and eyes. Look."

Relena still didn't move. Panic started to seep through him.

Without any second thought, he looked at his son again. Was it a trick of light or did his eyes gradually changed color? From bright, sky blue to... intense Prussian as Heero heard a small whimper from the child. Then a wail.

Heero froze. At that exact moment, he couldn't feel Relena's life force anymore. He looked at the crying child, then at Relena, then back at the child again. Something was beginning to dawn on him.

"N-no... It couldn't be..." 

He shook Relena's body again. Hard. "Relena! Dammit! Open your eyes!" But Relena didn't comply.

He pulled her into him, hugging her so tightly her bones would have broken. "No... This isn't happening..." He looked up, his eyes hard, accusing, pained. "Damn you... You wouldn't dare... I wouldn't let you... I wouldn't..."

 He slit his throat and tried pushing Relena's mouth on it. But Relena remained unmoving. He bit the tip of his tongue and when he felt the blood on it, he pressed his lips against her, letting his life giving blood flow to her. But Relena remained cold and limp.

Still kneeling, he gathered her against him once more, holding her even tighter. His lips was pressed against her temple, one hand holing her waist, the other hand buried under her glorious hair. His face was a mask, but his eyes were a battlefield of emotions.

Finally, a tear fell. Then another, as he grasped what just occurred. The unthinkable had happened.

After a thousand years of living happily, she was gone. He had lost her again.   

"NOOOOO! RELENA! REELEEEENNNNNNNNNNAAAAA!!!!"

And so, Heero Yuy, the King, most powerful being on the whole planet, died the second time that night.