Disclaimer: I claim nothing. Just that I'm a Heero x Relena and vampire fanatic.

 

I used a song here by Wolfgang, a Filipino alternative music band, which happens to be my favorite. It's called 'Arise'.  But the poem at the beginning is mine.

 

For comments, suggestions, flames or reviews, you can email me at nene_xxx@hotmail.com

 

 

In Blood

by Neesah

 

Chapter 2: Love and Despair

 

 

I am the worst of all creations

The outcast of many nations

The bringer of worldly destruction

The wisher of eternal damnation

 

Arise,

 my sentinels

Give them pain!

Reduce then

To my abysmal state

Give them hell!

As they gave me mine

Drive them crazy!

As they drove me mad

Let them cry out!

Like bells of soft laughter

In my ears

Let them suffer!

Let their agonies fill

The hole they bored

Into my soul

Let them pay!

For killing me

Bit by bit...

 

Come now

Help me

Release me

From this fiery pit

Don't let me fear more...

Don't let me cry more...

Don't let me hate more...

Don't let me kill more...

Don't let me die more...

Please,

With all the passion

Of a wretched soul

Spare my sanity!

Please,

Just lay me down...

 

--- "I..."  

 

 

 

 

Eight figures burst inside the library, oblivious to the fact that their collective panic and worry caused a powerful enough force to blast the double doors into smithereens as they stormed in.

 

"WHAT IN HELL IS GOIN--" Duo's question was abruptly cut short as he and the others stopped dead on their tracks.  In the far end of the room, Heero was kneeling down, his back against them as he hugged Relena's limp body tightly against him while a crying baby could be heard and something glowing could be seen from Relena's outstretched legs. The moon from the nearby window was casting an unearthly glow on the pair --- red, at first, because of the eclipsed moon, then gradually becoming white as the lunar eclipse came to a close.

 

Sally was posed to run to where the pair was but a hand stilled her. Looking back, she saw Wufei's grave face as he solemnly shook his head. He then looked at Duo, to which Duo nodded.

 

"Heero..." Duo began, taking a few tentative steps towards his bestfriend. "What happened?"

 

Heero didn't reply. Instead, he released Relena from his viselike grip, carefully placing her on the floor. He then slowly stood up.

 

As they heard the baby's cries slowly die down, the eight of them looked at each other, puzzled. They suddenly could feel Relena's aura again! It was somewhat different though, just like earlier when they froze in midair as they were hurrying along the castle corridors when they felt Relena's life force vanish (it was weak enough as it was which meant that she was very weak as well). And when it reappeared, it was pulsating, strong as ever, but in some way they couldn't explain, changed, yet it still felt like her. Then her aura disappeared once again at the exact same moment they heard a baby cry! And by the sound of it, it was a human baby though they should have detected its presence from the very beginning. But they didn't. There were only two people in the room --- Heero and Relena. And when the baby cried --- Heero, and, strange as it might sound, another Heero. Now, it was back to sensing Heero and Relena. So, where was the baby? What was going on?

 

With his back still turned, Heero just stood there, like a statue, neither moving nor speaking, as he kept staring down at the still form of his wife. The eight of them approached closer, stopping just a few feet away. Collective gasps could be heard when they discovered that the glowing object situated by Relena's legs was the mysterious baby they kept on hearing but never felt the presence! And with just one look, there was no doubt in their minds that it was Heero and Relena's. The figure of the face, the nose, the lips were all Heero's but the hair and eyes were Relena's. They would have jumped in joy if not for the fact that they knew it was impossible for vampires to give birth.  But here it was. Things were really getting stranger and more confusing every minute and they had this feeling that it would continue to be so.

 

"Heero... buddy, what happened?" Duo repeated softly. "Relena's going to be alright, isn't she?"

 

But Heero remained silent. He didn't even turn around to look at his friends. They would have thought that he didn't hear them, that he wasn't even aware that they were there if they haven't noticed that both his fists tightened into a ball until his knuckles turned even whiter than usual with Duo's question.  The silence stretched as if in eternity when finally, in a voice eerily devoid of any emotion, Heero replied, "She gave birth to the Heir. She's dead."

 

She's dead. Relena... The Queen... Dead. Dead.

 

The words rang over and over their heads and the vampires all over the world heard the echoes of their thoughts. The revelation shocked them to the very core. All of the vampires who heard stopped what they were doing and just returned to their respective lairs to mourn. They lost their Queen. But for Duo, Hilde, Trowa, Catherine, Quatre, Dorothy, Wufei and Sally, they didn't just lost a Queen but something more. So much more.

 

"Oh my God..." Catherine whispered as she crumpled to the floor, tears falling down her face. Sally clamped one hand over her mouth, then the other as she tried desperately to prevent herself from screaming out loud.  Feeling Wufei's hand on her shoulder, she looked at him, her eyes wide with shock, disbelief and sorrow. Wufei gathered her in his arms as she began to sob while Trowa kneeled down to support Catherine. Over their wives' shoulders, the two stoic vampires caught each other's gazes, their chests tightening as they felt that unfamiliar sting in their eyes 

 

"This isn't happening..." Hilde whispered to no one as she took one step backward, then another. "I don't believe this... She's not dead... She's not dead!" She screamed before running towards the door. Duo caught her and tried to hug her to him but she continued to struggle. "Hilde, babe, please..." Duo croaked, his voice uncharacteristically hoarse. Hilde finally relented, both of them falling as a heap on the floor, crying, comforting each other.

 

Quatre tried to wipe the tears from his eyes but they continued to fall. He looked at his wife, who just stood frozen beside him. No tears could be seen on her cold, expressionless face. But her eyes were pained. He reached out to her. "Dorothy, it's ok to cry."

 

Numbly, she shook her head. "Dorothy..."

 

"If I cry then I accept that she's dead. And I don't. I don't..." she said in a monotonous voice. Quatre tried to pull her against her but she resisted. Quatre resisted back and his strength overpowered her at the end, though she continued to fight him. "NO! I won't cry! I won't accept!" she yelled as she pounded her arms against Quatre's chest.

 

"Ssshhh, there now. Cry, Dorothy. Grieve," Quatre soothed, holding her more tightly, tears still falling on his face. "Grieve for you, for Relena, for all of us. We lost a part of ourselves tonight."

 

"No! I will never accept! I will never, ever..." her rant trailed into a sob, as she finally gave in to her tears.

 

They were so caught up in their grief that they didn't see Heero kneel down to plant a kiss on his wife's lips, didn't hear him whisper something to her ear before standing up, didn't notice that he, without warning, disappeared then reappeared again by the doorframe. But it would be impossible for them not to sense the sudden surge of force that emanated from him. Eight heads snapped up to the direction where the force was concentrated --- towards Relena! He was going to surrender her to the fire himself! But...

 

"The baby!" Sally yelled and just as everybody else realized that they had to get the baby away, Relena's body suddenly went up in flames. The look of horror and worry on their faces turned into relief as they saw Trowa emerge from the flames, cradling the baby in his arms. Thankful that Trowa realized what Heero was about to do and was quick enough to follow his instincts, they rushed to his side.

 

Assured of the baby's safety, they turned their attention back at Heero, who was still standing there with his back turned from them as if nothing happened. "What was that all about?" Wufei asked his friend in an even tone, voicing out what everyone in the room wanted to ask. "Because it surely looked like YOU WERE TRYING TO KILL YOUR OWN SON!"

 

Hearing Wufei's outburst, Heero turned his head to regard them momentarily before completely vanishing out of their sights. But one brief look was enough. His face was pale, paler than usual and his cheeks were streaked with dried tears. They saw the flames from Relena's burning body being reflected in those Prussian blue orbs of his as they died out and when the flames were gone, nothing could be seen in their depths anymore. No pain, no anger, no love, no light, no purpose --- just plain nothingness. Empty, just like his soul was now empty. Dead, just like Relena was now dead.

 

Quatre, Duo, Trowa and Wufei looked at each other, worry etched on their faces. They had seen him cold and empty before, when he lost Relena for the first time, but not like this. Back then, he resembled a man who lost the most important thing in his life because he chose to do the right thing, the good thing, a man who tried to endure yet still suffered, for hundreds of years, the consequences of that sacrifice. Now, he resembled a man who, after finally attaining his happiness, lost it again in a blink of an eye, without prior warning or any indication that he might. And this time, he lost her in the cruelest way possible --- giving birth to their son. The knowledge that even with all the powers he possessed, Fate had somehow managed to make a fool of him again was enough to drive him raving mad but the very idea that someone whom he helped create, someone who was his own flesh and blood, had robbed him of the most important thing in his life, albeit unknowingly, was more than anyone could bear. It was more than enough to cause a vacuum inside of him. But a void that big needed to be filled, even if just temporarily. And knowing Heero, there was just one way he could accomplish that...    

 

Trowa glanced down at the baby in his arms, then at the window. With chilling certainty, he stated, "Many will die tonight." 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Everyone wants to know the means on how to kill the King. Many said that it was impossible. At some level, they're right. Even he himself tried to end his own life and failed.

 

Then again, they're wrong. In this world, anything is possible. Hasn't anybody heard that in order to kill a powerful body, you must first extinguish that body's soul?

 

But the problem is that the King is a vampire and they say that vampires don't have souls. It was said that they lost it the moment they turned over to darkness. How then can the King be destroyed through his soul when he doesn't have one to begin with?

 

That's where the mistake lies. The King has a soul. And extinguishing his soul is the most effective way of killing him. For she is his sole reason for living, his sole reason for everything...

 

 And now that the Queen is gone, the King is as good as dead.

 

The hand paused, dipping its feathered quill on a jar of viscous liquid before writing again.

 

Well, not really. Things wouldn't be that simple, right? The King might be weakened in spirit, but physically, he's still as strong as before. Though collectively, the vampires are now relatively weaker due to the Queen's passing. It was the Queen who swayed the Balance to their favor. It was her presence that amplified their powers even further. It only  follows that her absence would cause the reverse.

 

But it doesn't stop there. The stage has just been set for the chain of events that will decide the future of this world. The Scales might be slowly tilting but the stand-off still has to be resolved. And just like before, there is that one deciding weight...       

 

A blast of cold air blew in from the window, causing the candle's flame to flicker out. The Chronicler reached out for a match and with just one strike, lighted the candle. A chill was in the air, the Chronicler was certain of it, and it wasn't just because of the cold. It was the chill of anticipation, the chill of both knowing and not knowing what would happen next. With that thought in mind, the Chronicler lifted the quill then added,

 

Like mother, like son.

 

 

 

**************************

 

 

 

8-yr old Teelah peered out of her bedroom window, her gaze intent on the thick, roaring flames currently rampaging through the rainforest just outside their town. That was where all the men of their town were, including her father. They braved the night, knowing full well that if ever they didn't do anything fast, the wildfire might spread to their town. Firefighters wouldn't dare go out at night. Actually, no sane human being would. The night belonged to the vampires --- that was the way it was for a thousand years now, and surely, it was the way it would always be. Knowing that they could only rely on themselves and that vampires would never be caught dead near a giant hellfire like that gave the townsfolk courage to do what they had to do.

 

Her eyes suddenly shifted to the shadowy figure walking by the empty street. She saw him suddenly stop, turning his head to glance momentarily at the giant hellfire, before continuing on his way. He looked kinda familiar.

 

Then she remembered. She often saw him there, sometimes sitting on the bench across the street, sometimes taking a stroll, but always with a girl. A girl with golden hair. And always, they looked so happy. Why was he alone right now?

 

She suddenly frowned as other questions formed in her mind. What was he thinking wandering around this time of night? More importantly, why wasn't he helping the others in putting out the flames?

 

She hastily opened the window and climbed out. She knew that what she was doing would get her in trouble but she couldn't stop herself. She wanted to talk to him, to ask some him some questions. But aside from her curiosity, he also looked like he would need a friend.

 

Upon landing on the ground, she quickly ran after the guy. "Hey, wait!"

 

The guy stopped and slowly turned around. Teelah stopped right in front of him, panting. "What are you doing here?" she asked in her usual sweet, childish voice.

 

Cold blue eyes studied her under a mop of chocolate brown hair. "The same goes to you," he replied evenly.

 

Teelah put her hands on her hips. "Well, I'm here to tell you, mister, that you shouldn't be wandering around here when it's dangerous and when you could be helping my father put out the forest fire." Just as the words spilled out of her mouth, she instantly regretted it, though she knew that she was right. She watched his reaction, gauging if he was mad or embarrassed in having a little kid scold him. She always had been like that. Her father had told her many times before how she acted like a grown-up, from the way she thinks, to the way she talks and scrutinizes people. And this time was no different. She couldn't see any trace of anger or embarrassment on his face though there was something about this man that seemed dangerous, yet vulnerable at the same time. His eyes were cold, like the blue frozen icicles she had that day but she had the feeling that he was also sad.

 

After a while, he said, "I'm not from here. Go home, if you know what's good for you." He turned around, intent on continuing on his way.

 

"Wait!" she called out for the second time. "Where are you going?"

 

He stopped on his tracks again, as if pondering her question. "I don't know."

 

"Are you lost?" Bright brown eyes looked at his face carefully, and with concern. "Well, you do look lost, though I personally think you shouldn't be coz I've seen you here before. You look sad too," she said, her voice getting softer. 

 

She saw surprise cross his face for the briefest of moments as he stared down at her. She then blurted out what she was meaning to ask all this time. "Hey, where's the girl that I always see with you? Did you two have a fight? She's your girlfriend, isn't she?"

 

She saw his eyes hardened before he looked away. "Sorry. I didn't mean to be too nosy." Something then occurred to her. She still didn't know him. "By the way, who are you?"

 

He turned his head to regard her again, his face blank.

 

 

I, I am the night

I am the day

I am the light gone astray

The fear

That's in your bones

That is I

I am the taker of souls

 

 

He thought of all the possible introductions he could tell her, all the names they called him, but he settled for the simplest one. The real one. "Heero."

 

 She gave him a sweet smile. "Heero. Nice name. I'm Teelah." She reached out to grab his hand. It was very cold. "Come on, Heero. Let's go inside."

 

"Didn't your parents tell you not to talk to strangers at night, much more invite them inside your house?"

 

She looked at him sheepishly. "Well, they did. But you look like you need a friend. And a place to stay. Why? Don't you want to come with me?"

 

Staring at their linked hands, Heero couldn't resist giving her a small smile.

 

 

Shout my name

At the heavens

And be cast to fire

Hold my hand

As we roam with the pack

Cause evil is our lair

 

 

The two of them walked towards the tree beside her bedroom window. "I climbed out of the window and down the tree to run after you so we have to the same to go inside the house. The door is locked and I don't want to wake my mom or any of my older sisters," Teelah explained. She was about to start climbing up when Heero put a hand on her shoulder.

 

"I know this trick. It'll make climbing faster."

 

"Really?" she asked innocently.

 

He nodded. "Close your eyes."  She obeyed. She then felt a sudden lightheadedness as she felt her body also get light. When she opened her eyes, they were already inside her bedroom.

 

"How did you do that?"

 

"If I tell you then I would have to kill you."

 

Teelah unconsciously shivered with his words. She didn't know why, but she felt that somehow, there was a tinge of truth in his statement.

 

"Don't worry. I don't want you dead," he added afterwards.

 

She laughed heartily. "You have a funny way of reassuring someone, Heero." Her gaze then returned to the window. "What do you think caused a fire as big as that?" she wondered.

 

 

Sentinels of pain

On their mission once again

He sent, them out to roam

Half dog men and their knives

Haunting your lives

 

 

Heero didn't reply, instead he studied the room. Teelah looked at him and saw that he was studying her black dress hanging by the door.  "We're going to a funeral tomorrow. He was a friend of my father." She walked over to where her dress was hanging, her fingers lightly touching the fabric. "He killed himself, you know. His wife died while giving birth last, last week. A day after that, the baby died too. Birth defects, or something like that. I don't really understand what they were talking about. Everybody in town was ready to help him through his grief, expecting him to lash out, cry, shout, get drunk --- you know the usual reaction. But he just stayed quiet and withdrawn, living like a zombie. When my father confronted him, he just told him that 'People grieve in their own way' so he left him alone. But when 2 weeks had passed and there wasn't any change in his demeanor, my father and their other friends thought it was unhealthy for him to continue like that. So they went to his house, with bottles of alcohol, intent on making him come out of his shell. And they succeeded, though not in the way they planned it. He hadn't  even began to drink, he just started lashing out. The other kids and I were playing near his house then when it happened and we heard everything that he said." Teelah paused, remembering. And as she remembered, Heero tapped in her memories.

 

"How dare you all say that you understand how I feel! Have you lost your wife while giving birth to your child? Then, lost that same child right afterwards? Huh? Tell me! Nobody could really understand what I'm going through unless he experienced the same thing, felt the same void, the same emptiness! You all still have a purpose to live, to go on, but I don't! Not anymore! She's dead! They're both dead!" With that, he stormed out of the house.

 

Heero's gaze on her intensified. "He's right."

 

Teelah raised an eyebrow at him. So he's a telepath, she thought. The town priest told her that there were people who could read other's minds, referred to as telepaths, while others could feel what others were feeling, called empaths. It was a gift, said the town priest, and only a few people had this gift. She was an empath herself but she hadn't met a telepath before. "I know. But I think that my father and the others have, at least, an idea of how rotten it would feel like to lose your family. My father, for instance, told me once before that it'll kill him if something happens to me or to my mom and sisters." 

 

 

Pray, it's good to pray

In our masses we shall say

He is no more

And will be dead

Though he is laughing

Beside you instead

 

 

She swore she saw something flicker in Heero's eyes, something that set off the warning bells in her head. "He said that?" he asked.

 

"Well, it's the same with everyone, right?" she answered, a little guardedly. "I mean, only those you love, those who are important to you are powerful enough to really hurt you."

 

"I see." He stared at her for a moment before continuing, "For a kid, you think like a grown-up. Thanks to you, I think I know where I'm going from here." He then started walking towards her.

 

Teelah unconsciously backed away as she saw him approach her. Her back hit the door, against her black dress. When he stopped in front of her, his fingers reached out to touch her long black hair. "Do you know that I just had a son tonight? I think I want a daughter too. A daughter like you."

 

She blinked. "Umm, I'm glad that I somehow helped you out and I'm flattered that you want a daughter like me. Wait, aren't you too young to have a kid?"

 

Heero chuckled. Teelah began to get scared upon hearing his laughter. It was hollow, full of pain. And in a sense, foreboding. He knelt down, his fingers moved from her hair to caress her neck. She stood arrested, she couldn't move an inch. She couldn't even think clearly.

 

"And one more thing." He leaned over then whispered to her ear, "I'm the one who started the fire." With that, he sank his fangs down her neck.

 

"W--ho... who a--re you rea--lly?" she managed to croak out. And with every draught of blood he took from her, he answered her. 

 

 

I am the King

I need no Queens nor friends

You bow before me

Coz blood is my feast

And fear is my staff

And I will come

To take you and yours away

 

 

After a few minutes, her frail body slumped against him, her blood almost drained to the limit. The hard expression in his eyes was the opposite of how gentle and careful he held her in his arms. He started to slit his wrist but changing his mind, placed her mouth on his neck instead. If it were any other, he would have let her drink from his wrist, which was the usual tradition in siring a fledgling. But she was too precious to be treated just like any fledgling. He wanted her for a daughter. And all these things, he silently told her, as he made his offer.  

 

 

Listen, to me my child

I'll feed your body

Free your mind

Come closer if you dare

To this manner of beast

Coz evil is our lair.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Andrew Walsh never felt this tired his whole life. Well, all the men in their town was feeling the same thing. But it was worth it, for they did stop the forest fire from spreading to their town. Now, all he needed was to have a good night's rest. They still have a funeral to go to tomorrow.

 

He opened their bedroom door then turned on the lights. "Honey, I'm ----" All coherent thought flew out of his mind when he saw his wife, Corrie, his 15 yr old daughter, Erin and 12 yr old daughter, Maia, lying on the floor, their eyes wide with shock, their mouths frozen in a call for help. And in their necks, there were a pair of unmistakable pinprick marks.

 

"No... Oh, my God... No..."

 

"Daddy."

 

He whirled around and saw his youngest daughter standing by the door of her room across the hall. He knelt down and grabbed her in a fierce hug. "Oh my baby, I'm so glad you're alright. You're mom and sisters..." he choked on his words as tears started falling on his face. "They're..."

 

Still trapped within her father's arms, Teelah answered, "Dead. I know," in her sweet, childish voice. She glanced a fraction to her right, her brown eyes inadvertently traveling to his neck.  "I'm the one who killed them, Daddy," she added as she bared her small fangs, biting down hard on his neck.

 

"W-what... w-hy..." And somehow, he heard her answer in his mind. I'm so sorry, Daddy. He's my father now too. And I'm so hungry.

 

Tears continued to fall down his face as his own daughter drink the life out of him. What a cruel fate it was, to be killed by your own flesh and blood! And with his last breath he muttered, "No."

 

Similar thoughts of disbelief and pain ran inside all the townsmen's heads as each one of them suffer the same fate as Andrew. Heero turned one in each household into a vampire, often the youngest one, in the hopes that the vampire he sired would turn against his own family. Misery loved company, and Heero wanted everyone to feel the betrayal that he felt, the helplessness, the pain. It was an idea he got from talking to that little girl, Teelah. But as he stood by the burnt forest overlooking the town, he couldn't derive any satisfaction from what he had done. Just like he didn't get satisfied in massacring a whole town a while earlier, neither did burning down a whole forest.

 

He turned around and suddenly, flames erupted, engulfing the whole town. Screams of the fledgling vampire children burning filled the air. But he didn't pay any heed to them. People grieve in their own way, and this was how he wanted to grieve. He kills whomever he wants, whenever he wills it. He then flew away.

 

Amidst the smoke and flames, two figures seemed to have flown out of the town, headed in the opposite direction.

 

 

 

**********************************

 

 

 

Escape was impossible and he knew it. Everywhere he looked, he could see her face. The whole world reminded him of her ---a constant reminder that he had her once, and that he had lost her.

 

There was only one place on Earth he hadn't visited with her, only one place where he didn't hold any memories of them together. And it was there where found himself heading.

 

It was a hidden grove deep within a forest, situated directly by the equator. He found it once before, more than a thousand years ago, while roaming aimlessly around and he instantly liked it. Aside from being secluded, there was a certain strangeness to it that appealed to him.  It was strange how he couldn't see that place from the sky while flying, how it seemed like he could reach it from one direction only, and how, though the forest surrounding it was full of life, the grove itself was dead --- the lake at the center was all dried up and the land was barren. Weeds nor any kinds of grass didn't grow there, no animals stray to that part and it seemed like the air there too was stale. That place suited him well. It was as barren and empty as he was during those times, the time when his Queen still wasn't by his side. But he hadn't gone there for a very long time. And he hadn't taken Relena there. It wasn't really intentional. It just didn't cross his mind. He didn't feel the need to take her there then. He didn't even remember the place. Until tonight.

 

Everything was exactly how he remembered it. Except now, the lake had water.

 

All appearances aside, this place seemed to possess a certain power --- the kind that comes from nature. It was very subtle though. He could barely sense it --- it was either he was just imagining it, that this place was really as barren as it looked like or that very powerful forces existed here, thereby canceling each other. In any case, it would serve his purposes well.

 

He walked over to the lake, his gaze intent on the moon's reflection on the water. It was silver now. Funny. Just hours ago it was red. He then looked up. He couldn't see the sky but he always had surmised that this would be the first place where the sun's rays would first hit when it rose. And that this was where the sun's rays would shine the brightest and stay the longest.  He never had any chance to test that theory of his and he thought that this was the time to do it. What else was there left for him? What else was there to lose? He already had lost everything. He knew that the sun wouldn't be able to burn him to dust, he had tried it before and failed. But at least, it would cause him enough pain. Physical pain would be easier for him to endure. That kind of burning would counteract the other kind of burning he was trying to suppress inside of him. Besides, he hoped that the sun mixed with the pain would eventually kill him in the long run. And he would stay there until that happened.

 

"It's not safe to be out here alone, you know."

 

Heero jerked his head towards the direction of the voice. He saw a small woman, in her mid-thirties, standing a few feet away behind him. She had shoulder-length blue hair, with silvery strands and her eyes were silverish too. How long had she been there? He had been too caught up with his thoughts that he didn't even know how long he was standing there, much less sense her approach.  Feeling that she wasn't a threat, he answered, "That's the second time somebody told me that this night."

 

"Maybe because it is the truth," she answered in her melodious voice.

 

Heero gave her a dispassionate look then turned his attention back to the water. "You should follow your own advice then."

 

He sensed her smile. "Nice call. But come to think of it, the word safe had ceased to apply to anything at night, for no doors nor walls could protect you from a vampire once it decided to take you. Vampires take whatever and whoever they want. It wouldn't matter whether you're hiding or standing right out in the open." She adjusted the shawl around her shoulders then sat down on a nearby rock. "At least I'm already halfway my lifetime. It would be a waste for someone as young as you to have his life be snuffed out just like that."  

 

With his back still turned, he replied, "I'm not as young as you think I am, lady."

 

This time she chuckled.  Her adopted son also didn't want to be referred to as young and naïve. But unlike Rafe who was just being smug, this young man was somewhat telling the truth, having had a brief glimpse of his eyes. "Well then, not-so-young one, wanna tell me about it?"

 

Heero became alert, though he hadn't shown any outside appearance of it. Could she read his mind? But he hadn't sensed anything unusual from her, not even a minute trace of power. He was sure that she was just an ordinary mortal. Wasn't she?

 

"I don't need to be a psychic, a telepath, an empath or whatever to know that you're troubled. Just one look at your eyes is enough. Besides, you wouldn't go skulking around in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night at that, if you weren't really distraught." She paused, her forehead furrowed, remembering how she had seen him earlier standing immobile for a long time, his gaze fixed to the sky as if waiting, searching. "What is it that you're waiting for, lad?"

 

"Sunrise."

 

She smiled on how he seemed to like saying just a word or two. "And after that?"

 

"My death." Hopefully, he added to himself. Knowing that he only had to wait two more hours for that, he somehow felt something akin to anticipation.

 

"I see." She looked up the sky. "Sunrise would have been spectacular to behold from this place. Unfortunately, the sun hadn't shed its light here for a very, very long time."

 

Heero jerked his head towards her again. "What do you mean?"

 

Her silverish eyes were kind when they locked gazes. "Haven't you noticed anything peculiar about this place?"

 

He nodded. "It's strange how it's barren when the area around it is full of life. And though barren, one couldn't deny the power pulsating here. It's a paradox."

 

"Exactly. That's because this is where all the Elemental Powers that exist on Earth converge, referred to as the 'Core' by many. Many had searched for this place, in hopes of gaining incredible powers but only a few succeeded. It is also called the Witches' Grove, for this was the birthplace of the Four Primary Elemental witch clans. Since then, the powers of Earth, Wind, Water and Fire have not returned to their respective cores here. But they will, eventually. See," she gestured to the lake, "it's already starting. The power Water has bestowed to its chosen people had returned. That only meant that the Water clan no longer exists...." she trailed off, her gaze downcast. "I'm guessing that the last of the Water Clan died just tonight because yesterday, the lake still didn't have any water."

 

So this was the 'Core' the older vampires were talking about! Many had searched for this place and failed, thereby leading to the conclusion that the 'Core' didn't really exist. Come to think of it, it was easy to understand why only a few succeeded in finding this place. Everybody was looking for some grand place, something that would fit the description of being the center of all the Elemental powers on Earth. And there was nothing 'Core'-ish about this grove, that was why it wouldn't occur to anyone's minds to come to this place.

 

He looked up the sky again. Discovering that the 'Core' was real and not just a myth wasn't the only thing that surprised him that night but also the revelation that Four Primary Witch clans emerged from this place. This was where Relena's ancestors were born! Which meant that as long as even one Peacecraft existed, the sun, Fire's predominant vessel, would never show its face here.     

 

As what was expected, that train of thought reminded him of his pain and his loss. I thought you wanted me dead. I'm giving you the chance now but you wouldn't let me, he told the sky silently, almost bitterly. How ironic everything was! He wanted to die because the only reason he was alive was dead but the only means he could think of wouldn't be able to accomplish the task due to the fact that the power that gave birth to his wife, the exact same power that killed her, still existed, in the form of their son. "The Gods and the Fates ---they're all in conspiracy against me," he muttered.

 

She, too, looked up the sky. "It might seem that way. But things happen for a reason. People die and were born for a reason. The world is in constant flux and we, its inhabitants, are the agents who bring about this change. And the sooner we accept that we are bound by the Threads of Fate, the easier it would be for us once we come face to face with it," she said softly, more to herself than to her companion. Sighing, she stood up. "I better go back. I just went out to clear my head and I think it's clear enough." Her eyes studied him. "You're welcome to stay with me if you like."

 

He shook his head. "Ok then. But if you change your mind, I live just to the east of here. I'm Azusa." She paused and he instantly knew that she was debating whether to ask him his name or not. He vowed that if she did, he would kill her. But she didn't. Instead, she smiled at him sadly then said, "I sure hope that you could find a way to go through whatever it is that's troubling you, son. But don't wish for death, even if it's the only future you see and you just want to help hasten it. It'll come to you eventually, as it does to all things. The universe follows a strict timetable, you see. The Fates wouldn't take it kindly if you mess up their schedule." She chuckled a little with her feeble attempt on humor. "Take care." And with that, she left.   

 

He turned his head to watch her go, pondering her words. After a few minutes, he glanced at the lake one more time before vanishing.

 

 

 

***************************************

 

 

Trowa and Wufei entered the King's study and were taken aback.  In the center of the room was a baby crib where Hilde and Sally stood, playing with the cute, dangling toys on top of it and making baby faces at the crib's occupant. Dorothy was by the baby drawers near the wall, trying to create some semblance of order on all the baby stuff lying on the ground while Quatre was holding a feeding bottle and by the looks of it, he was trying to mix some formula. Catherine, on the other hand, was sitting on a chair, humming to herself. She was knitting.

 

Dorothy saw them first. "Did you find him?"

 

The two shook their heads. "Even after we found his trail, we still couldn't find him," Wufei replied. "Do you know that he made a horde of vampire children?"

 

Surprised, everybody in the room looked at him (well, except for Catherine who continued knitting). "Don't worry. He killed them all right afterwards," Wufei added.

 

"So that's the disturbance I felt earlier," Quatre said softly, still holding the feeding bottle.

 

"Quatre, the formula. I think he's hungry this time," Sally told him.

 

"I'm almost done," he replied.

 

"I see that you all managed to turn the study into a nursery for the short time we were gone," Trowa commented, amused.

 

"Well, this is just an opinion but I think that Duo and Quatre went a little overboard," Dorothy told them, shaking her head. "They were supposed to just get some 'supplies'. I think they broke into a baby store and took everything."

 

"Speaking of Duo, where is he?" Trowa asked.

 

"He said that he would get more supplies, as if the things he and Quatre first got weren't enough. He should be back by now," Hilde informed him.

 

As if on cue, Duo breezed in, a bunch of plastic bags on one hand, and a frightened 16-yr old girl on the other. "I think we have everything that we'll need," he said, satisfaction evident in his voice.

 

"Umm, I understand the plastic bags, Duo, but what about the girl?" Quatre inquired as he tested the temperature of the formula on his forearm.

 

"Well, I thought that we need a sitter, you know, to take care of him in the morning when we're all asleep."

 

Six pairs of eyes looked at him incredulously (Catherine was still oblivious to everything else besides her knitting). Have you lost your mind?!!! Dorothy yelled at him telepathically.

 

Duo calmly put down all that he was holding then faced Dorothy. Say what?

 

I think what Dorothy meant was that are you really that crazy to let a human into our lair, Wufei said in a voice laced with sarcasm.

 

So? We had taken humans here a lot of times before.

 

But only so we could feed on them. Not to offer them a job and free board and lodging, Sally stated. Duo looked from one face to another, his eyebrows drawn into an expression of utter incomprehension.

 

You still don't get it, huh, Duo? What everyone is trying to tell you is that what you're planning to do is dangerous. There's danger in keeping a human here, Quatre told him.

 

A human is awake in the morning. We're not. They could do anything in the morning. We can't. If you proceed with your plan, there'll be a human here in the castle while we're sleeping. Gosh, Duo. I know you're smarter than that, Hilde remarked.

 

Duo's violet eyes seemed to constrict into sickles, his expression dark. "Do you all think that I'm such an idiot to not have thought of that? I know what you're all trying to tell me, but what I don't understand is why you're making a big deal out of it. What can this poor creature do? See, " he gestured to the girl huddled on the floor, shaking and whimpering. "Do you think she could do any harm to us? We are helpless during the day, true, but what can she do about it? First, she has to find where we sleep. Then, she has to find a means to destroy us, and boy, that would be a bitch to do." His gaze then fell on the crib. "Besides, we couldn't just leave a baby by himself 12 hours a day."

 

"We couldn't leave a human baby by himself," Dorothy pointed out.

 

"You mean you still hasn't discovered if he's human or a vampire?" Duo queried.

 

"He smells and looks human. But his aura shifts from that of Relena and Heero in tune to his emotions. And I think he's hungry but he wouldn't drink his milk. We tried twice earlier," Sally informed them.

 

"Maybe this time he will. Quatre, can you give me the formula?" Hilde said. Quatre went to her and handed her the bottle. Everybody crowded the crib to watch. The baby opened his mouth, tasted the liquid then turned his head away.

 

"Well, there's one way to know if he's a vampire or not," remarked Duo. In a blink of an eye, Duo grabbed the girl and took her by the crib. "You don't like the taste of that, do you, little buddy? Maybe you'll like this." He held the girl's arm above the crib, slit her wrist and let her blood trickle down to his little mouth. Upon tasting the blood, the baby started to cry.

Duo immediately withdraw the girl's wrist and tied it up with a cloth to stop the bleeding while Dorothy wiped the blood from the baby's lips and held him against her.

 

"There now, little one. Uncle Duo didn't mean to scare you," she cooed as Hilde and Sally also did their best to pacify the baby, to stop it from crying. After a while, he did.

 

"Sorry, kiddo," Duo said, ruffling the baby's hair. The baby gurgled, closed his eyes then went to sleep. Smiling, Duo turned to the girl. "You too, missy."

 

"He doesn't like blood. That proves that he's not a vampire. He's human then, right?" Quatre wondered out loud.

 

"That's safe to assume, for now," Trowa replied. "But one thing's for sure. That kid has powers. He's definitely a witch."

 

"Takes after his mother. He's the Heir afterall," Dorothy added. "This is the first time there's a guy heir huh?"

 

"Yeah. He'll become the Supremo in a few years," Wufei assented. "Hell, he might even become more powerful than us, considering that he's also Heero's heir --- The Vampire Prince."    

 

"That might be so but right now, he's as helpless as any of us during the day. Duo was right in thinking that we need a sitter. The girl is not capable of harming us in any way. And she couldn't escape either. She'll care for the baby when we can't and in turn, we'll take care of her," Trowa voiced out. "But it's Heero who has a final say about this." 

 

"What do you think he'll do? Do you think that he'll make him into a vampire now or will he wait 'til he's grown up, if ever he would turn him into one that is," Hilde wondered. "It would be kinda ironic to be the Vampire Prince when you're not a vampire but a human."

 

"It's more ironic that he would remain a Prince since I don't think there's a chance he could inherit the throne from Heero, seeing that nothing could kill him," Dorothy commented.

 

"I think a more important question would be if Heero would ever accept his son and forgive him for causing the death of his mother," Sally said, her voice sad.

 

A tensed silence ensued which would have continued for a while if not for being inadvertently broken by Catherine's sudden exclamation of, "I'm done!" She walked over to the group and held out the little baby blanket that she knitted. It was blue and at the bottom, the word 'Peacecraft' was embroidered beside an emblem of a bird. "I tried making a phoenix but this is the best that I can do," she told them sheepishly. Dorothy held the baby out to Catherine so she could wrap the blanket around him as she took him into her arms.

 

"That's cute, Cathy. And quick too. But don't you think Heero will get offended when he sees that you put Peacecraft on the blanket instead of Yuy?" Quatre said.

 

"Well, according to tradition, the Heir takes on the Peacecraft name so he's really a Peacecraft, not a Yuy. Besides, I don't think he'll care, anyways," Catherine answered bitterly, remembering the incident earlier. All of a sudden, their heads all jerked towards the door at the same time. They saw Heero standing there, his face blank. He looked at everyone, even on the frightened girl on the floor, finally settling his gaze on the baby on Catherine's arms. "Can you all leave me with him for a minute?"

 

Everyone tried not to show their surprise and doubts at his request. Catherine put the baby back in the crib and gave him a peck on the forehead. Quatre took the girl's hand and they all trooped out. When Duo passed by his bestfriend, he said, "We'll just be in the throne room if ever you need us. Oh, and make sure that you already have a name for him when we return, ok?" But there was a hidden message with it as well. Don't do anything stupid, Heero. Don't do anything you will regret. With that he closed the door.

 

Heero slowly walked towards the crib. He halted and stared at his sleeping son, his face unreadable. He remained that way for a while, like a statue, when finally, as if coming to a decision, his hands reached inside the crib. His fingers curled around one of the soft, white pillows there and slowly lifted it. Then, in slow motion, it descended towards the baby's face. But at the exact same moment the baby's eyes snapped open, Heero's hand stilled just millimeters away from the baby's face, causing Father and Son to stare at each other.  

 

An eternity seemed to pass, measured only by the rhythm of each other's hearts. Heero's hand was still poised over his son's head, holding the pillow, ready to smother him, when his gaze suddenly softened as he whispered, "You have your mother's eyes," before placing the pillow aside. But his gaze hardened again just as quickly as it softened. "I should just kill you. She's not here anymore because of you and I couldn't go to her because of you also. Your death will be my revenge and my release. What's the use of pretending to be alive when I'm actually dead? Dead in both body and soul?" he asked, not really expecting any answer. "I died the moment she died, the moment you killed her. I've forgiven my murderer, I love her. But hers, how can I?" 

 

His son watched him, his gaze steady, as if he could understand what his father was saying. "I should just kill you," he said, lifting the pillow once again. It was inching closer to the infant's face when, again, his hand stilled. "But I couldn't." He threw the pillow away. "And it's not only because I know Relena would never forgive me..." Unconsciously, he reached out for the baby's small fist. The baby gurgled then grabbed his father's finger, causing a small smile to appear in Heero's lips. "The man in me wants release, and the vampire seeks retribution, both of which demands your death. But that small part of me who considers himself as your father would never allow me to hurt you. You are blood of my blood, flesh of my flesh. Mine and Relena's." He withdrew his finger, settling on just gazing on him before continuing. "You are my last link to her. That's why I'm torn between loving you and hating you the more. I can't bear looking at you, you remind me too much of her, yet I long to catch even one glimpse of her everywhere I go. What should I do with you then? Should I believe what Azusa said about all things happening for a purpose?"

 

The baby reached out his tiny arms to him, wanting to be carried. Heero slowly lifted him up, his right arm supporting the baby's neck, his left supporting the baby's lower body. He held him away from him, wanting to stare right into those blue eyes resembling his mother's. Father and son regarded each other silently.

 

 

 

 

At the throne room, Duo, Trowa, Quatre and Wufei jerked their heads toward the window at the same time. "What? What is it?" Cathy asked.

 

"Heero just left," Trowa replied.

 

"Are you sure? Sunrise will be here shortly..." Dorothy trailed off. "What if he's planning on going into the sun?"

 

"Well, we all know that it wouldn't kill him so I guess we should leave him be and just look after the baby," Sally said.

 

The Four Advisors looked at each other.  "I don't think we can do that now," Wufei said in a mysterious tone.

 

"Why? Don't tell me that he hurt him or else..." Catherine threatened.

 

"Well, as far as we know he hadn't hurt him. Yet," Duo answered. "But anything can still happen..."

 

Confusion showed in the women's faces. "What do you mean?" Hilde queried.

 

Quatre's voice was grim when he replied, "Heero had taken the baby."

 

 

 

********************************************** 

 

 

 

Azusa looked up from the scroll she was reading when she heard a knock at her door. When she opened it, her eyes widened in surprise, but immediately softened, seeing the golden-haired baby wrapped in a blue blanket lying by her doorstep. There was also a bag beside him, which she was sure was full of the baby's belongings. Without any second thought, she took the baby in her arms, grabbed the bag, scanned her surroundings then closed the door.

 

"So, this is the night," she whispered, putting down the bag. "I met the King afterall." Unbidden sorrow flashed in her eyes, knowing what that meant. But as she glanced at the infant in her arms, the sorrow was replaced by hope. It was foretold that from the ashes of the Fallen Angel of Light, a new one would arise, one that would bring order to this chaotic world and usher a new age. And this was he. Her fingers touched the gold heart-shaped locket. There was an engraved figure of a phoenix in front, the Fire Clan's insignia. This child was definitely the last of the Peacecrafts and without doubt, the Heir to that powerful clan. Light practically oozed out of him.

 

She opened the locket, discovering a picture of a golden-haired girl in one side and a picture of the girl and a familiar brown haired lad on the other. The King and Queen of the Vampires. And this infant in her arms, the Light that had come again, was their child. Light tainted with Blood he might be, he was still the one, well, the only one, who can right the balance. The Fates had led him to her and she knew that it was her duty and destiny to make sure that he would fulfill his. But the scrolls were vague on how she would accomplish this. All that she was certain about was that after helping this child, she would die.   

 

Her reverie was interrupted when she the baby started crying. "You're hungry, aren't you? Let's see what's inside the bag your Daddy packed up for you."  With one hand, she started rummaging inside the bag. Finding what she needed, she began mixing the formula. The baby then cried harder. "Hush now, sweetheart. I'm almost done. They haven't fed you, huh?" With her left hand, she placed him against her left chest, his chin resting on her left shoulder. "There, there. Everything will be alright. Nana Azusa will take care of you from now on," she told him.

 

Suddenly, Azusa dropped the feeding bottle as she felt two sharp fangs sank into her neck. She looked down to her left and saw the baby drinking from her. "Oh my God..." she whispered before falling to her knees, her left hand still supporting the baby. With every draught of blood the infant took from her, she understood what the scroll meant about the Child of Light being her destiny and her death. He needed her blood to finish his transformation, blood that was as pure as it was powerful, the kind of power that didn't come from the Elementals. He would need that kind of power for him to fulfill his destiny. And knowing that she had done her part, Azusa, the last Chronicler, surrendered her last breath with a contented sigh. 

 

 

 

**********************************************

 

 

Inside their coffin, Duo could feel that Hilde was restless. He put his arm around her, squeezing her shoulder as he tried to help her relax. Grateful, Hilde snuggled closer to her husband. "Don't worry, Hilde. The moment we wake up, we'll go talk to Heero ok?"

 

"Ok." She was able to kiss his check one last time before they inadvertently fell into a deep slumber as the sun rose from the horizon.

 

But Duo never got the chance to talk to Heero. None of their friends did. For Heero never woke up ever since.