CHAPTER 11: RED CHINA

For the time being, the Gundam Wing Universe is silent. The Gundam pilots have had a whole month to think it over, a very long month. The Scorpions, however are celebrating at their Moon Base on a job well done.Destroying the Nuclear satellite,as well as humiliating Lady Une with a cheeky video (of her old nose) has given them notorious status. Otto (Desert Rose) sneaks off in the new Jauhara Gundam to confront Lady Une about the strange attraction he has for her, only to wind up with more questions.

 

 

<Mardyev>: Hmph. So you say the test was a-OK, Rose? (looks at Jauhara)

<Otto>: A-OK ,Chief Red Butt. I even took out a couple of OZ carriers and ran into one of those Gundam pilots. Not bad, for a patched up Gundam. I got one now, whee! *jumps*

<Mardyev>: Hmph. (Just stares at Otto)

<Otto>: Mardyev...Crimson?? Are you alright? (knocks on Crimson's mask)

<Mardyev>:......hmph. (Walks away)

<Otto>: Gee, what a fun guy....(shrugs)

<Mardyev, walking towards hallway>:.....Lovesick moron.

Konstantin Mardyev,a.k.a Crimson Cancer is cold as usual. While some would regard his attitude as unreasonably rude and cold, not many know about the inner pain that caused it. During the Alliance's glory days, Mardyev was a brilliant Mobile Suit designer trained by the ROmefeller Foundation's best to develop more powerful mobile suits. While he enjoyed his work, he never knew OZ would take his designs and romp all over the world. Ever since that day at Almaty base, Crimson is haunted by the enormous guilt he carries round due to all the death his creations have wrought. The cold exterior he exhibits belies his wounded pride as an inventor.

The 'Red Scorpion' as people call him rarely has anything to say to anyone,not even himself.

--CONFERENCE WITH LUNAR COLONY LEADERS, THAT MONTH LATER--

<Phantom>: Status report, Leader One. How are the Lunairans doing?

<Leader>: Phantom, you and the Scorpions have done a tremendous job with the Baghdad raid. For your information, there is no more food shortage, thanks to the raw materials you have *ahem* procured.

<Leader2>: There should be enough for at least five years. Are you sure you didn't steal Nebraska or something?

(Leaders laugh)

<Scorpio giggles>: No, sir.

<Leader>: But Scorpio, we still have the business of family reunion and repossession.

<Scorpio>: I don't know how we can take all the Earthers like that, sir.

<Leader>: I was referring to certain heirlooms and historical evidences back on Earth. You are aware that if this war escalates, the remaining Alliance nations will be pulverized. We do not want that.

<Chinese leader stands up>: If I may....

<Leader>: Speak up, Mrs Wang.

<Wang>: Thank you, Mr Chairman.

<Leader>; Speak up!

<Wang>:?

(aide adjusts Leader's hearing aid) : Sorry:)

<Wang>: Scorpio, my country China is currently involved in a civil war of insane porportions. There are a group of Rebels fighting against a certain Colonel Bund. That man killed my husband, a noted pacifist leader and forced the independence of China by military force.

<Silver>: I've met him. He puts even OZ to shame.

<Wang>: Precisely, Silver Scorpion. What I am suggesting here is that the China situation may be hazardous to your efforts to keep us all alive. If China is 'pulverized', as Chairman has noted, OZ will have control of all its factories and industry. That may or may not lead to an attack on the colonies and maybe....us.

<Scorpio>: I understand. If we take out Bund and make contact with the Rebels, we may be able to establish a foothold on Earth. Thank you, Mrs Wang.

(Leaders go back to the pool hall)

DISCUSSION ROOM a.k.a MEN'S ROOM

<Silver>: A month has passed, and no word on the Gundams. I suppose we won;t run into them anytime soon.

(Fart)

<Otto>: It wasn't me!

<Crimson raises his hand>: It's about time I went on a field mission. Cancer II is fully operational again.

<Phantom, reading a mag>: Yanno, we really should get a proper room for this kinda stuff.

<Crimson>: Are you listening to me, Phantom Scorpio? I've been holed up in this moon base too long. (Bangs on cubicle door)

<Phantom falls off seat>: OK,OK!But why now, Crimson? I thought you wanted to stay here and build mecha or something....

<Crimson>: Otto went on a solo mission, and he managed to destroy about 50 or so mobile suits. (zips up, exits his cubicle). I intend to do the same. And heaven help whoever tries to stop me. All those suits I designed....I will destroy them all.

(Shakes fist, but grabs pants before they drop)

<Silver, using a urinal>: *Grunt* You can't run from the past, Mardyev.

I of all people should know. You can't carry that around forever. You may have designed all those suits, but don't hurt yourself over that...*oh yeah*

<Crimson>: I was CHIEF designer, Noventa. I'm no general or soldier. I make things to kill. You can't understand. I enjoyed every moment of it. From Leo to Aries. From Aries to Taurus. And those Virgoes I never got to see....imagine what havoc they would cause.

(Silver puts hand on Crimson's shoulder): Kavon..... We are all carrying burdens of guilt here. You are not alone, Mardyev...

<Crimson>: Name me ONE other person who the Gundams will target if they found out who designed the OZ units.

<Scorpio>: Me.

<Otto>: Me too.

<Silver>: Ed McMahon.

<Crimson>: Why Otto?

<Crimson>: Thank you, komrades. But I must do this alone. (Grabs broom)

<Scorpio>: Hey! What the hell...Mardyev!

(Mardyev puts broom through cubicle door, sealing it Dirty Harry-style)

(Scorpio and Otto bang at their cubicle doors): Goddammit, Crimson! Lemme out!

<Silver>: I can't stop you, eh? (hands up)

<Crimson>: You already died, didn't you? (Runs to Aquarius hangar)

<Silver>: And you want to join me.....

<Scorpio>: Help me out, you old fart!

 

--AQUARIUS HANGAR--

<Twins>: Hi, Crimson!

<Crimson>: Hello, girls.

<Twins>: Where are the other Scorpions?

<Crimson>: This...is a solo mission. Phantom wanted me to...get some field experience. It's embarassing, two 10 year old Puru twins having more battle experience than a 33 year old Scorpion.

<Twins>: We can't all be born with super IQs, Boss.(nudge each other)

(After some launch preps, Aquarius launches for Earth)

<Crimson>: Destination China.

(Scorpio and others rush to the hangar too late): Godammit, that Russian maniac took off without us!

<Tech>: He took the Purus with him, boss! We can't follow!

<Scorpio>: You better know what you're doing, Mardyev....

 

 

--OVER CHINA--

(Building explodes, a truck barrels through)

<Sally Po>: Mission accomplished! Let's get out of here!

<Bund>: (in bed] What the hell is going on?!

<Officer>: It's a guerilla attack, Col. Bund!

<Bund>: Don't let them get away! We'll get rid of them all, once and for all!

<Officer>: Yes, Sir!

<Rebel>: [blows up a car that is following them] I did it! What's wrong, Sally?

<Sally:> Nothing.

<Rebel>: Sorry... You return to your homeland after being gone for so many years, only to get involved in such a mess...

<Sally:> Don't be. I was the one who decided to come home. [they arrive at a camp]

<Rebel 2>:Is everyone alright?

<Rebel>: Yeah! It was a success! [Mobile Suits attack]

<Sally:> [gets thrown out of the car] What?! Leo, the land type Mobile Suit?!

<Officer>: It's a direct order from Col. Bund! Don't let anyone get away! [attacks people in the forest] Idiots!

<Soldier>: There they are! They're climbing the slope!

<Rebel>: That thing's no use against Mobile Suits!

<Sally>: [aims a rocket launcer at the MS] Maybe I can at least destroy its main camera!

<Officer>: We won't ask you to surrender! Just die!

(Leo explodes as missile penetrates its head)

<Sally>: I'm not dying just yet!

(Missile launcher jams) : SHIT!

<Officer>: Now die!

(Leo is slagged by unknown laser barrage)

<Crimson>: One more life taken...one more life saved!!

<Sally>: Look out![Cancer II is hit by Leo fire]

<Crimson>: Get out of here,woman! I'll hold them off!

(Sally climbs up the hill)

(Cancer II turns around): Stop shooting at me. I'm made from an armor you will never penetrate.

(Leos keep firing)

<Crimson>: Fools. (Slags all with another laser beam barrage) This is not amusing. I never realized pilots could be this stupid.

<Wufei>: Watch your back, red monster! (ShenLong slashes through Beam Saber Leo behind Cancer II)

<Crimson>: Up yours....Gundam pilot.

<Wufei>; Is that all the gratitude I get? What an ingrate...

<Crimson>: You're the one Rose ran into a while back.....I suppose your prescence means that you didn't kill Trieze Kushrenada.

<Wufei>: Don't remind me, Red man! He shamed me, made me unworthy of Nataku!

<Crimson>: Then you are unworthy to save Earth! (Punches Nataku, Nataku falls)

(Cancer II stands over Shenlong):Listen to me, boychik. When you wake up, you better realize... strength means nothing to those who do not use it.You better go home to your mother and give us your Gundam. it'll be in beter hands.

(Nataku struggles): Arrrgh! Damn! Not again!

<Crimson>: Hmph. I don't know why Phantom respects you. The look on your face...you're just a pathetic little boy with a big toy. Look at yourself!

(Chang stares into Crimson's reflective face plate, Cancer II steps over Shenlong and boosts away.)

<Wufei>: Nataku...he's right....I am not worthy of you. Thank you for your strength, Nataku...(Hatch opens) Who are you?? (Spots Sally)

<Sally>: Come with me, quick!

<Rebel>: He's not an enemy , is he? (Sally shakes head)

<Bund>: [in a control room] What?! A Gundam?!AND a Scorpion unit? Are you sure?

<Officer>: Yes. I'll send you the images now, Sir.

<Bund:> This is definitely a Gundam. This is what's overwhelming OZ, huh?

<Officer>: We're heading back.

(THE NEXT DAY,IN A CAR HEADED FOR TOWN)

<Sally>: Did you sleep well last night?

<Wufei>: Yeah.

<Sally>: You didn't have to come with me. I'm just getting food for the troop.

<Wufei>: I owe you.

<Sally>: It's we that owe you.

<Wufei>: It wasn't I who saved you. It was Nataku and that red freak of a Mobile suit.

<Sally>: Nataku? Is that the name of the Gundam? I see. A red suit, you say?...I've heard reports of a second group of OZ antagonists...

<Wufei>: I've met some of them. They call themselves Scorpions....like their namesakes, they are very hard to catch...and their weaponry is quite formidable...

<Sally>: Sounds like you've got some beef with them.

<Wufei>: Just one, the one called Phantom Scorpio...but I have a feeling the one I met earlier wasn't him. This one was ruthless-he just nuked the Leos like they were nothing.

<Sally>: Here we are, Wufei. (Stops)

<Wufei>: Something's going on here...

Shopkeeper: Please stop it!

<Officer>: Shut up!

Shopkeeper: All I asked was for you to pay us every once in a while...

<Officer> 2: Who the hell do you think lets you conduct your business here, in the first place, huh? [kicks the man to the ground]

<Officer>: We're risking our lives protecting you, and you demand we pay you?

Sally: What did you say you guys were protecting?

<Officer>: What?!

Sally: All you guys do is mess up this country with that damned Bund guy, isn't it?

<Officer>: What the hell...?! [gets knocked down by Sally]

<Officer> 2: This bitch! [attacks Sally]

<Officer>: I'll teach you to pay for that! [gets attacked by Wufei] Damn you!

Wufei: Stop! That's enough.

<Crimson whacks soldier with frying pan>: The boy is correct. You take goods , you pay for them! (Hands money to shopkeeper) Thanks for the vodkha, komrade.

<Wufei>: Huh? What are you doing here?

<Crimson>: Buying some vodhka. My old supply is out.

<Sally>: This can't be..that red pilot...can it, Wufei?

(Soldier tries to get up, gets whacked again by frying pan)

<Crimson>: Idiot. Do you want a bleeding head!?

<Wufei>: Who ARE you?

<Crimson gives middle finger>: Phantom and the others are good at showing off...I just get the job done. Get out of my way. Stupid 'Made in Taiwan' pans...(Throws pan in air)

(Sniper shot hits pan, ricohets toward sniper,sniper falls into chimney)

<Wufei>: You are an enigma....

<Crimson>: You only call me an enigma because you don't understand your pathetic self. Live and Learn.

<Sally>: He is not pathetic! (Shakes fist)

<Crimson>: We'll see. Hmph! *Ptui* (Spits into Chang's face)

<Wufei>: No, Sally....he's right.....(walks slowly into truck cab)

<Sniper>: Colon..el.....Bu.n...d....He's...dan...gero...us.........

<Wufei>: I was defeated. By a man who was stronger than I was. And I realised that I was a coward who could only beat those who were weaker than myself.

<Sally>: Then why are you helping us?

<Wufei>: Because you are weak.

<Sally>: That doesn't mean we're going to give up! That red guy is right! Look into yourself, Wufei!... Until you understand, you will not be worthy of anything!

REBEL HQ

<Rebel>: Major Sally, we got trouble....

<Sally>: I'm not Major anymore. What is it?

<Rebel>: Bund has sold us out to OZ! His own units are rebelling against the OZ troops! it's a meat grinder! Wait.....wait! They're coming here!

<Crimson, over loudspeaker>: Hear me, OZ forces! Bund's Army! You are fighting for nothing! (joins battle)

<Wufei>: It's that red pilot! Waht's he doing? AAAH!

(Missile rocks Rebel tent)

<Bandaged dude>: Dammit...I was gonna...shoot that thing....(Dies)

<Wufei>: No...no!!!

<Rebels>: Concentrate on the Mobile Suits! Don't be scared!

(Rebels fire missiles at Aries. Some hit, some miss)

(Cancer II lands in front of Wufei, holding Shenlong in its arms)

<Crimson>: I've decided to give you a second chance, Nataku...(Drops Nataku)

<Wufei>: I'm not worthy of Nataku...I'm sorry...

(Sally heads in front of an MS, unarmed)

<Sally>: War does nothing but bring people misery. That's why you always have to have a solid purpose.

<Wufei>: Sally, what are you doing?

<Sally>: Wufei... You are capable of helping weak people. I want you to remember that. You're a man with a warm heart.

<Wufei>: Sally! Stop such a ridiculous thing!

<Sally>: I'm doing this because I know this is the only thing I can do for you... To make you wake up.

<Sally>: And my heart knows it's worth it.

<Wufei>: [picks up an anti-MS weapon, and fires] Run, Sally!

<Sally>: Wufei!

(Crimson shields Sally and Wufei from attack): Ah, to be in love....(swigs vodhka bottle and fires missiles)

<Crimson>: You can come out now!

(Former Bund's Army troopers come out, attacking the Aries)

<Crimson>: Heh. Even Silver can't get this many recruits! So, Wufei...are you ready to forgive your pathetic self and be strong? Or are you ready to submit to your own guilt? Even your girlfriend over there says you have a warm heart...fight with pride!

<Crimson swigs bottle again>: I have a cold heart. That is why I'm alone.

<Rose>: Sez who? (Jauhara comes down from the sky)

<Phantom>: Wufei! I'm glad to see you! Let's fight these OZ bastards!(Phantom tackles two Aries)

The battlescape is dominated by OZ forces battling Scorpions, who thanks to their superior weaponry(Aquarius is giving support fire), decimate the OZ forces. Bund is terrified, and runs for his transport. The Aquarius is firing laser beams everywhere, and MS by MS falls in a hail of energy.

<Phantom>: Now Crimson, about that toilet incident...Crimson?? (Cancer II's cockpit is empty) Where's that vodhka pusher??

<Wufei, in Nataku>: Lend me your strength...while I build my own!! (leaps for Bunds transport) Now you DIE!

(Gundam Shenlong destroys Bund's transport)

<Bund, crawling out burning>: Help....Help me......

<Crimson, holding the bottle>: See my face, Bund. See the face of the Red Scorpion. (Takes off helmet)

<Bund>:Kostantin..Mardyev??? But...but.

<Crimson>: Dos Vadaniya, Bund. (Throws bottle onto Bund)

The bottle, breaks over Bund's head. He is burned, his skin reduced to ash in a matter of seconds. All that is left of Colonel Bund is a pile of ashes.

<Crimson>: As long as he believes he killed you, Wufei will grow in confidence. (Laughs manaically) What Irony....the murderer helps the real warrior (drinks another bottle)HAHAHAHAHAA!!!

-LATER,AFTER THE BATTLE-

(On a Stealth Truck, headed for next rebel point)

<Wufei>: I've done it...but I'm still not worthy.....Sally, why do you still fight?

<Sally>: For justice. As silly as it sounds, for justice.For justice, freedom and peace. Everyone says the same thing. But I believe in my own justice, just as everyone else does the same. What about you? What is your justice, Crimson Cancer?

<Crimson>: When there is nothing to fear....nothing left to hate.

<Phantom, from PS>: She has a strong heart, like you Wufei.

<Wufei>: I will return when I am worthy....

<Sally>; Please do, Wufei. Tao Che (Cantonese for thank you)

<Wufei>: Crimson Cancer....I see I have a lot to do to avoid becoming like you....(smirks)

<Crimson>: I fight alongside fools who are just too stubborn to leave me alone.(looks at Scorpions) I guess they can't take losing me too well. Remember that, Wufei. You are the best among the Gundam pilots...of all of them, I feel a sense of inner strength in you.It is you I have to thank.

<Scorpio>: Wufei, Crimson fights because he feels everything's his fault. But he fights on, not caving in to his fears. As impossible as it sounds, even Crimson is scared of defeat. He's afraid of losing to himself....are you afraid?

<Wufei>: We'll see, Scorpio....(Leaves)...We'll see. I'm not a killer..I'm a warrior!

-ON BOARD AQUARIUS-

<Scorpio>: OK, ladies and gents! You've just been enlisted into the Scorpions! Anyone who objects can leave by that door. (Points to open ramp)

<Nagaki>: Um...Mister Scorpion...some of us want to stay on Earth...the Rebels could use some mobile suits....

<Crimson>: Bund betrayed you. Now you are going to betray him. Ah,to be human.

<Nagaki>: We've been betraying our own people for so long...(hangs head)..its about time we helped someone for a change...

<Scorpio>: So be it. Take these supplies and raw materials and join the rebels at point 127383 J. Godspeed, and good luck.Keep in touch, we may need you again!

<Nagaki>: Will do..."boss"..come on, gents! (MS' board Jegan sleds and head for the rendezvous point)

<Crimson>: All of you who remain...you may never see your planet again..are you willing?

<Ex-Bunds>: Better we live off a planet that we can't trust!

MOON BASE

<Silver, trapped in toilet>: HEEEEEEEEEEELP!