CHAPTER 13- VIVE LA FRANCE

Desert Rose and Phantom Scorpio touch down at Gadaffi base, but there is nothing left for them to salvage. In the meantime, Zechs and two of Noin's ex-cadets attack an Alliance base. The cadet's brutal methods disgust Zechs, who turns on them. Phantom Scorpio (the mech)

is experiencing flashes of Domon Kashu again, with a Shining Finger as proof. Silver just refuses to let Scorpio go on the next mission, even though he's boss...

<Scorpio>: Gimme ONE good reason why I can't go to France with you and Otto.

<Silver>: I am going to unmask.

<Otto/Puru 1/ Scorpio>; WHAT??

<Silver>: Don't read me wrong. Marseille is full of Alliance soldiers on leave. The OZ attacks on the Alliance bases have them on high alert. If we so much as go one inch too close, we risk losing a lot of potential recruits. I will reveal myself to the men to give them some morale, and we'll lift off.

<Scorpio>: And Otto...?

<Silver>: Otto is a Gundam pilot. He isn't as conspicous as you.Besides, a Gundam pilot on our team may give them confidence to join us.

<Scorpio>: grumble brumble brumble.... Just come back alive, huh?

<Rose>: Gee, didn't know you cared, Phantom.

<Scorpio>: Silver is important to the team, just like you,Crimson and everyone else. We are all important.

<Puru 1>: Speaking of important people.....look at the screen, guys!

<Silver>: It's a list of Marsielle residents...so what?

<Scorpio>: Look at that....

<Rose>: Sylvia Noventa........

<Silver>:.......

<Scorpio>: You still want to umask?

<Silver>: We have to rescue her, Phantom....she's all I have left....

<Rose>: We will....don't worry. *BEEP*

<Puru 1 >: man oh man...Aries squadron coming in...plus a Gundam detected!

<Silver>; Let's go! We don't have any time to waste! Who knows who the Gundam is targetting!!

--IN MOSCOW--

<Dermail>: I will now introduce the standard-bearer chosen to be the leader of OZ. He wishes to put down the Federation and fight bravely to make a peaceful world for us. He is a member of the Romafeller Foundation in addition to the commander of OZ. Treize Kushrenada.

<Treize>: You might think we will reign over everything with OZ's many Mobile Suits. To rule is to control. It might seem arrogant. However, I think that we need a government to control our human greed. God left humanity to itself. Humanity needs a man beyond God. Even God couldn't predict that we can never stop warring among ourselves. So, it will be understood by God that our actions are right.

<Noin>: Let's leave now. This meeting is not for us. We don't have anything to say to people who consider war beautiful. It's a waste of time.

<Noin>: Miss Relena:? Miss Relena:?

<Relena>: You are committing terrible mistakes. Gundam will appear again in order to correct your mistakes. I am protesting as a messenger of the people, those who are insulted by you people who wish to avoid all complications.

<Noin>: Ms. Relena, please stop this.

<Relena>: No, I have to tell them.

<Noin>: Ms. Relena, please stop it. We can't solve any problems here, today.

<Scorpio appears on screen>: I see you can't learn anything even from Relena Peacecraft. How can you learn anything at all?

<Dermail>: Who are you? How did you get into our frequency?

<Scorpio>:[whispers] I designed it, you moron.

<Scorpio>: Doesn't matter. What matters is that the Queen is correct. The Gundams are indeed powerful enough to wipe you all out. And guess who is going to pick up the scraps?

<Noin>: You?

<Scorpio shakes his head>: Your children.

<Trieze>: What do you want?

<Scorpio>: I want you to get a grip, Kushrenada. Even at this very moment, your forces are being eaten up by all of us who oppose you.

(shows footage of Shining Finger and a screaming Alex)

<Noin gasps>: Alex....not you too!

<Scorpio plays around with a skull>: To be or not to be.....the question is, to be what?

(screen goes blank)

<Noin>: Dammit! He's still around, that murderer!

<Treize>: Good job, Lt. Lucrezia Noin. Your presence seems to have kept him on air long enough to trace.

<Soldier>: Uh...your Excellency.....I don't think "Somewhere in Vegas" is an actual set of coordinates.....

<Noin>: I am sorry, Treize, Your Excellency.

<Treize>: Excuse me. Relena is the sister of a friend, whom I invited. Where is Lady Une, by the way?

<Soldier>: She is observing the Marseille expedition from her quarters, sir.

<Treize>: I understand your concerns,Duke Dermail. I will have the Gundam destroyed if that is the wish of the Foundation.

<Zechs,on vid phone>: So people in high positions know about Gundam?

<Noin>: It means that OZ was more severely hurt by Gundam in the last battle than we thought. But His Excellency Treize seemed against the idea.

<Zechs>: But even he can't refuse the decision of his superiors.

<Noin>: Will the destruction of Gundam be done?

<Zechs>:.......

--MARSEILLES,FRANCE--

Field Marshall Noventa (a.k.a Silver Scorpion)of the World Federation had objected to the build-up of armaments as a deterrent to war. It was he who decided to decrease armaments and finally to demilitarize both the planet Earth and the colonies. However, OZ tricked Heero into using his Gundam to shoot down the shuttle Field Marshall Noventa was supposed to be in. It was the beginning of the new era.

This incident might have closed the way to peace forever.

<Captain>: Ms. Sylvia, please escape from this town.

<Sylvia>: Thank you for your kindness, Captain.

<Captain>: In this city of Marseilles, there are many soldiers of the World Federation on leave. For that reason, OZ might attack here. I thought this place was safe, because there's a World Federation base here, but that same base also makes this place dangerous as well. This place is going to become a battlefield.

<Sylvia>: I know... but it took me time to be able to leave the sweet memories of my grandfather.

<Captain>: Field Marshall Noventa was a great person. He always thought about achieving a peaceful future.

<Sylvia>: Although Grandpa died, I feel that his soul still lives on. I will always cherish grandpa's memory.

<Captain>: Miss Sylvia.

<Sylvia>: I'm sorry.

--A TUNNEL BENEATH MARSIELLES--

<Rose>: So...the goal of walking through this muck is.......

<Silver>: Not to be detected by either side. This is a surgical strike.

<Rose>: So what's this about recruits?

<Silver>: I lied. The guys will be wiped out before we can even get to them.

<Rose>: Ooookay....

(Jauhara Gundam shuffles through sewage)

Topside, the remaining Federation Leos are mounting a last ditch escape plan to try to evade the attacking Aries. The commander knows that they are no match for the OZ units, and has decided to lead the Leos through an underpass under a river .

<Captain>: Just Aries? They think just ten Aries can destroy this base?

<Sylvia>: Captain...

<Captain>: Don't worry about it. We have our ways of dealing with it. Escape from here now! Goodbye.

<Captain>: Don't let them in this base. Prepare to fire!

<Soldier>: Leos, return fire.

<Aries pilot>: This is like guerrilla warfare.

<Other Aries pilot>: I'm going to shoot down all Mobile Suits. Keep attacking. Shit! I screwed up! What the-

<Aries pilot>: Leos of the World Federation are heading toward the water by way of the underpass. All the main force is there. All Aries, go there!

<Silver>: I heard that. C'mon, Otto! (Scorpio mkII and Jauhara hurry)

<Trowa>: To use the underpass is an obvious tactic.

<Heero>: Don't worry about me. I'll be a burden.

<Trowa>: You don't want OZ to know about my Gundam?

<Leo pilot>: My unit is almost destroyed. Is this the end?

<Rose>: Quiet now, man. Can't you see this is France?

(Jauhara slices Aries with energy scabbard)

<Leo>: G-g-g-undam? Thank God!

<Aries pilot>: Take the point, main force 2-2-1 is there, hurry up.

(Heero finally meets Sylvia)

<Heero>: Sylvia Noventa.

<Sylvia>: Who are you?

<Soldier>: The enemy Aries have entered the underpass.

<Captain>: We can't avoid surrender.

<Leo pilot>: Captain! There's a Mobile suit headed this way!

<Leo Captain>: What is that! Gundam?! Why is it here?

<Leo pilot>: Aries are one block away.

<Leo Captain>: OK, stop retreating through the underpass. We're going to counterattack.

<Leo pilot>: Captain!

<Rose>: Retreat. I can handle these guys.(takes our Rising Bow)

<Leo Captain>: We'll hold off the enemy until you come back. Can you do it?

<Leo pilot>: Are we going to protect the Gundam?

<Leo Captain>: Yeah, it's our only hope now.

<Leo Captain>: Keep shooting! Don't be afraid. He's here.

<Leo Captain>: Please end this war, Gundam.

<Rose>: Just stay behind me, please.

Jauhara Gundam is a unique blend of G Gundam era suits Gundam Rose, Nobel Gundam and Rising Gundam. It's pilot, Otto von Bahn is no stranger to awkward suits. Patched together by Crimson Cancer, Jauhara (Arab for Jewel) also posseses a unique Gundam feature-there is an extra eye in the mouth, designed for accuracy. What Otto doesn't realize is that deep inside, the same energies that plague Scorpio are waiting to unleash themselves.

<Aries>: There they are! Att---A GUNDAM!

<Rose>: Alas, you Aries have no class. (Rose Bits come out of the back, assaulting the Aries)

<Aries>: You think these can stop us? (Slashes a Bit)

<Rose>: Quite frankly, yes.

(Aries stop moving): What the.....

<Rose takes the beam saber and decapitates each Aries>: Ho hum, just trimming the roses. Care to join me, mon ami?

<Leos>: Gladly. (Take out Beam Sabers) Finally, a victory for us.

(Trowa arrives in HeavyArms)

Trowa>: I have to destroy all of you before you tell anyone about me. This war is between the World Federation and OZ, so I'm not going to interfere. But I can't allow you to tell anyone about my Gundam- hey, who is that??

<Soldier>: What is this Mobile Suit?

<Captain>: I don't care who it is. I just appreciate it. Who are you, sir...?

<Rose steps out of cockpit>: My name is Desert Rose. Please join me and my comrades in our struggle against the destruction of the Earth. (bows)

<Trowa>: Another...Gundam! Who are you?

<Rose>: Well , well. It's HeavyArms. I'm Jauhara Gundam, from the ....nah. Nobody lives to see a Gundam , right? What's the point?

<Trowa>: All the Aries destroyed in such a casual manner...which colony are you from?

<Rose>: I come from a distant galaxy, far,far away.....(Leos laugh)

Ah phooey.. (waves never mind) You sadists have no sense of humor. Come on, Leos, let's get to the transport.

(Leos follow Jauhara Gundam, leaving Trowa puzzled for once)

--SOMEWHERE ELSE--

<Sylvia>: You say your name is Heero Yuy?

<Heero>: yes.

<Sylvia>: This is my grandfather's grave. What do you want to tell me?

<Heero>: The one who killed Noventa... was me. It was a mistake. I killed General Noventa and a great many people who wished for peace.

<Sylvia>: Why? Why?

<Heero>: What I can do is this... Sylvia Noventa.(pulls a gun out)

<Heero>: I can't atone for my sins. I hope this gun calms the souls of those I killed and the anger of their families.

<Sylvia>: You are a coward! You're making me kill you so you can be free from your guilt.

(Silver sneaks up a manhole)

<Heero>: What I can do is just this.

<Silver hits Heero on the head with his sabre butt>: Shut up, you filthy animal. Trained to be a dog, die like one! (kicks Heero into an open grave) Rest in pieces, scum!

<Sylvia>: Who are you?? Why did you do that?

<Silver>: Snowflake....it' been so long.....

<Sylvia>: Snowflake...no..only..only Granpa called me that...why..

<Noventa unmasks>: Little snowflake....Grandpa is nowhere near dead!

<Sylvia gasps>: But...Heero....he said he killed you...

<Noventa>: That moron only knows to follow orders like a puppy. I was rescued by people who knew better than to fight mindlessly.I'll explain to you later on. Right now...I just want to hold you again, snowflake..

(Sylvia tearfully hugs her Grandpa): Grandpa...Grandpa.....I missed you......I missed you so.....

<Noventa>: Won't leave you...ever again, Snowflake...We'll leave this Earth...and never have to worry again...

<Sylvia>: Leave Earth? But what about Grandma in Sicily?

<Noventa gasps>: Grandma....she's still alive??

 

<Sylvia smiles, nodding>: Yeah! We found out recently that she wasn't killed by the Mob!

<Noventa carries Sylvia on his shoulders>: What are we waiting for?

<Trowa pulls Heero out of the grave(later)>: This is just the beginning.

<Rose>: War is just killing people. Why do you think that war is a beautiful thing?

<Heero>: I can't change my way of living.

<Rose>: Well, silly. Maybe you can get a lady friend. Sure helps me 'change'! Arriva Dechi, comrade Gundams! Till we meet again! (Throws a rose onto Trowa's lap)

(Rose signs off as Aquarius lifts off, all its passengers safely on board, plus the Mariselle Leos)

<Scorpio>: Whoa, is this Sylvia?

<Noventa>: Meet Phantom Scorpio, Desert Rose, and Puru 1. Scorpions, this is my granddaughter Sylvia.

<Puru runs over to Sylvia>: Hi! I'm Puru 1!

<Sylvia smiles>: Hi! Grandpa, are we going to see grandma now?

<Noventa turns to Scorpio>: Sure we are, Snowflake..sure..

<Scorpio>: So we're headed to....

<Silver>: Sicily.

<Leo Commander>: Field Marshall Noventa!! Look, guys, it's really him!

<Leo>: Wow! it seems today is a day for miracles!

<Puru 1 to Puru 2>: Finally! Someone our age!

<Sylvia>: Wow, I've never met a real life pair of twins before!

<Twins>: Yeah, we can't live without each other! (Put arms around each other)

<Sylvia>: Like Grandpa and Grandma.....(winks at Noventa)

--MOON BASE BRIG--

<Crimson>: Nobooody knows...the...trouble I see...nobody knows.....OZ's sorrow.....

next chapter