CHAPTER 14- HI, GRANDMA!

The Scorpions have successfully managed to rescue a Marseille Division of Leo pilots from an OZ attack, saving them from immediate death. Desert Rose reveals his Jauhara Gundam to Trowa, who cannot understand his eccentric behaviour while arriving too late for the battle. Meanwhile, Heero Yuy, still believing that he had killed Noventa, goes to his granddaughter Sylvia to try atone for his mistake.

Noventa himself,however, knocks Heero into an open grave, leaving poor Trowa to dig him out later.

Reunited with his granddaughter at last, Silver learns that his wife Roberta, long thought to be dead is actually alive in Sicily.

As Scorpio begins to assimilate the Marseille squadron into the fold, Silver mulls seeing his wife again. Sylvia, in the meantime instantly hits it off with the Puru twins,who are glad to see someone their age for a change.

[DOCKING BAY]

<Scorpio>: OK guys, listen up. If any of you still want to back out, it's fine by me. Take whatever supplies you need, and join up with the resistance networks we have running around. You'll be safe with them.

<Leo Captain>: Scorpio, we want to fight for Earth, like you do! (soldiers agree)

<Scorpio>: If you want to join us, I'm afraid we have to take your Leos apart. They're old models. We'll supply you with our Leo model, which carries a shoulder mounted heat cannon and extra boosters for more mobility. If you want to join us, you have to have the best equipment.

<Leo Captain>: Just lead the way, boss. We have nothing left to lose, right, guys?

(Soldiers cheer)

<Leo>: We're in!

<Scorpio>: Not so fast. You have to undergo training in the sim chambers first. I'm not about to send young cannon fodder like you out just yet.

<Leo Captain>: You heard the man, get to your sims!

<Leos>: Yes Sir!

<LeoScorpion>: They'll be fine, boss. Just leave it up to me!

[SILVER'S QUARTERS]

<Sylvia>:Wow, grandpa! This is like a hotel room! (Bounces on bed) Wheeeee!

<Noventa>: This IS a hotel room, Snowflake. According to the Purus, the Aquarius was originally a floating hotel. It was then reconditioned into the carrier you see today, though the game rooms are still intact....

<Sylvia sits on Noventa's lap>: Grandma is going to be suprised, huh?

<Noventa>: When exactly did you make contact with her?

<Sylvia>: Just through letters and videos she sends to me....but I know she's alive, Grandpa! Her last message arrived last week!

<Noventa hugs Sylvia>:Don't worry, Sylvia....It would take a lot to kill your Grandma...

<Puru 1 knocks on Silver's door>: Hey, Sylvia! Let's go see the Pinball Room! Sis is already there! come on! You promised!

<Sylvia>: Grandpa?

<Noventa>: Go have fun, Sylvia:) (Sylvia and Puru 1 run off)

<Noventa>: Roberta......it's been....too long.

[VILLA DE RANIERI , SICILY]

<Thug>: Ma Ranieri, our agents confirmed it. The Marseille garrison has been overrun.

<Roberta>: Any survivors? My granddaughter must be one of them!

<Thug>: Looks like a total wipe out, Ma....there was a Gundam sighting, though.

<Roberta>: Sylvia could be ...Then...Bob..watch over her, please.....

Roberta looks back at how it all started. She and Noventa were dining at an open air restaurant in their son's Palermo neighbourhood when two groups of men began to argue. At first the arguement was verbal,but soon both sides pulled out guns, with bullets flying through the air.

Sylvia could only watch as her father was gunned down before her,caught in the crossfire. Before Noventa could stop her, Sylvia rushed to the side of her dead father. Roberta ran to get her back, but she instead was kidnapped by the mobsters. Noventa was left with a dead son and a crushed granndaughter. Vowing to raise her by any means necessary, Noventa also developed a strong distaste for guns, and made it his key issue during his all-too brief period as Alliance leader.

<Roberta>: What is that shadow?

(Scorpio mk II bursts out of nowhere)

<Thugs>: F-f-fire! Blast that thing!

<Roberta>: Wait!Wait! Look at the cockpit!

(Cockpit opens, Sylvia steps out)

<Roberta>:Sylvia??? Sylvia!!! (runs out of the mansion toward Scorpio mk II)

<Sylvia>: GRANDMA!GRANDMA!GRANDMA! (jumps into Roberta's arms)

<Thug,spotting Silver>: Look out, boss! (fires machine gun)

(Silver is tagged on the arm): D-OH! Ow! Argh! OOf! OW!

(Tumbles down Scorpio mk II, lands face first)

<Roberta>: Sylvia.....thank you, Bob....

<Silver>: You're...welcome...OW.......

<Sylvia>: Grandpa says you're welcome! Get up, grandpa!

<Noventa gets up and takes off mask>: Hello, Roberta.....*faints*

<Scorpio>: "Bob"?

[RANIERI MANSION MASTER BEDROOM]

<Noventa in sling>: OW....

<Roberta>: Careful, Bob....these bullets are meant to kill...

<Noventa, closes eyes>: Roberta? Is that you?

<ROberta>: Yes, it's me, honey.......Roberta DeCavllieri Ranieri...your wife...

<Sylvia>: Grandma's guys took you inside, Grandpa.....you'll be fine, they say...

<Noventa>: Roberta?? How.....how did you...

<Roberta puts hand on Noventa's lips>: No more talking...let me do some talking for a change...

Roberta explains that after she was taken by the mob, she was made a ransom hostage. However, the Alliance military expansion forced her underground with the Mafia. The leader of the Ranieri mob at the time, Don Gallardo was apparently killed in an Alliance Leo ambush. This left Roberta the opportunity to take over the Mob, with the backing of the grunts. It was discovered that the Mafia money went to the Romefeller foundation when Gallardo was in charge. Discovering Roberta had a grandaughter, Gallardo blackmailed her into becoming his right hand contact with the outside world. But Roberta turned the tables on Gallardo by taking advantage of his greed, leading him into an ambush, and ultimately, her leadership of the Mob was complete.

<Thug>: It's been a struggle to survive so long....sorry I shot you, Mister Noventa. We're all just very tense now, with OZ and all...

<Sylvia>: These guys are really nice, Grandpa! Look, they fixed you up! (presses bandage)

<Noventa>: OWOW! Roberta, listen to me. I want you and Sylvia to go to the Lunar Colonies, where it's safe. I don't want you to be caught up in this conflict...

<Roberta shakes head>: No, Bob. I've just found you again (hugs him) I'm not leaving Earth without you or Sylvia. Plus, the boys need my leadership here.

<Thug>: Ma Ranieri takes care of all of us, Mister Noventa. She's like a mother to us...

<Sylvia>: I've got an idea! Grandma, Grandpa, listen up.....

[AQUARIUS BRIDGE,THREE DAYS LATER IN ORBIT]

<Scorpio>: Purus, contact Nagaki and Sally for me.

<Nagaki/Sally>: Scorpio! What can we do for you? We're rather busy here..

(Jegan rips apart a Leo)<Nagaki>: See what I mean?

<Scorpio>: Nagaki, I've sent some hardy reinforcements for you. They're tough, streetwise, and armed with our latest weaponry. Just call'em the "Mafia Monsters".

<Sally>: Any news on Wufei or the others, Scorpio?

<Scorpio shakes head>: We ran into HeavyArms' pilot, but that's about it. But I have other news for you. The Scorpions and I feel that we can't deal with you directly all the time, so I'm appointing an Earth Liason of sorts to help you out.

 

<Roberta>: My name is Roberta Noventa. Nagaki, Sally Po, it's a pleasure.

(Brief introductions are made, and Roberta turns to Scorpio)

<Scorpio>: Good job, Mrs Noventa. Now we'll have a more efficent communication network.

<Roberta>; Just call me Roberta, Phantom Scorpio.....listen, I have to talk to you in private.

<Scorpio>: Sure. Meet me in 'Special Quarters'.

[SPECIAL QUARTERS]

<Twins bang on the door>: Hey! Get out of our room!

<Sylvia>: Yeah!

<Roberta>: Phantom....as you know, I've been running the Ranieri Mob for some time now....and one principle we've always had is not to trust anyone who we cannot see or refuses to be seen.

<Scorpio>: Meaning?

<Roberta>: Your mask. Bob tells me you never take it off....I can't trust a person who cannot show me his or her face.I'm sorry, it's the way I am.

<Scorpio>: I'll tell you, but I must warn you, if you tell anyone outside the Scorpions...I'll kill you. You know that- Al Capone made that rule a long time ago.

<Roberta>: I understand the risks, Scorpio. I'm not any old biddy, remember.

<Scorpio>: I am trusting my very existence to you....

(screws loosen and mask falls off)

<Walker>: There. This is what you wanted?

<Roberta gasps>: You're....Shinegami! Thomas Walker, one of the Lake Victoria Three, aren't you? Now I can understand...

<Walker>: The one and the same.

<Roberta>: Someone like you would be considered a traitor by OZ and a villain by association by the Gundams. Zechs Marquise and Lucerezia Noin would also be after you for betraying your joint legacy....now I understand...that's why you took this path.

<Walker>: Yes...Lucy and Zechs...I still can't get over their betrayal of their own principles...Almaty Base was a slaughterhouse...and they were responsible for it...

<Roberta>: Walker, how long is that mask going to stay on?

<Walker>: Until Earth and the Colonies are peaceful again. Or until I decide my former life is worth remembering again. For all intents and purposes, Roberta, Thomas Ian Walker is dead. Only Phantom Scorpio exists now. I can't say the same for Rose though. He's lucky to be able to wander around without a mask. The rest of us, Crimson, Bob and myself have to hide who we are....because there is no place for our kind on Earth just yet...

<Roberta>: You can trust me, Scorpio. Your secret is safe with me and Sylvia. Do not worry. I give you my word as Matriach of the Gallardo/Ranieri organization.

(Shakes Walker's hand)

<Walker refixes the mask>: Roberta....I'll write a letter to Relena Peacecraft of the Sanq Kingdom...to try explain myself.... as Phantom , of course.

(walks to the door)

<Puru 1 holding fire extinguisher>: OK! HEAVE!

(Door falls on Scorpio): *OWW*....

[MOON BASE BRIG]

<Crimson>: OOF! (bounces out of jail cell)

<Guard>: And STAY out! Sheesh, singing that stoopid song over and over again..."Nobody Knows....the troubke I see..."sheesh! Get outta here!

<Crimson>: Ah, all alone on a moon base filled with weaponry and yet nobody to train it on...alas,alack.

<Chef on comm>: HAH! Look who came outta the burner!

<Crimson palms the camera>: I suppose YOU are the welcoming party....God hates me, I know it.

<Chef>: Listen, justa comea backa toa dootie, oh-key? We're cooking up something HOT!

next chapter