CHAPTER 15- LETTER TO THE PRINCESS

 

The Scorpions have a new member of sorts-Mrs Roberta "Ma" Noventa, who is their new liason to Earth based-rebels.She explains to her husband the series of events that had separated them, and vows not to leave Earth without him or Sylvia. Silver Scorpion (Noventa) is only too happy to have his family reunited. Ma, however is suspicous of Phantom Scorpio's reclusiveness. She demands to know his true identity, and Walker shows her his face. Realizing his predicament, Scorpio suggests that he write a letter to Relena Peacecraft, the new leader of the Sanq Kingdom.

 

 

<Pargan>: I contacted Mrs. Noventa. And, I received this letter

from her. She wants you to read it by yourself.

<Relena>: From Mrs. Noventa?

<Pargan>: Yes.

<Relena>: This is marked 'paid by recepient' *sigh*

(Split screen, Otto giggles)

< Relena>: What's this....

<Letter>:

Dear Relena Peacecraft,

I am not the true author of this letter. I want to introduce you to an individual who wishes to make contact with you,but cannot meet you face to face. He is much like your brother Milliardo, a man with a mask, and many troubles..... I now turn the letter over to him.

(handwriting changes)

Relena Peacecraft...or is it Darlian? It seems none of us have or can ever keep one identity for a change, can it? My name is Phantom Scorpio, a name you are now no doubt familiar with, what with my associates and myself continually harrassing your brother and his friends. I'm not writing to make any threats to you or your family- in fact, I have great respect for both King Peacecraft and Vice Foreign Minister Darlian.

<Relena>: Father....

I am writing to let out some of the feelings I have been forced to experience throughout this conflict. War is a terrible thing, as it only invites death and disorder, and makes fools out of worthy men.

I was initially working for the same organization as your brother, but I witnessed a horrible thing. Men driven by nothing more than a dream that could never exist, turning on their comrades at the behest of forces loyal to your brother. It was then that I decided to take up arms against him, and in a way, restore my own honour. And his as well.

I ran into Zechs recently, and suprisingly,he still fights with honour. I am also informed that he protested at the missile attack on the colonies, and let Heero go. Yes, Relena. Heero Yuy is alive and well. We last saw him in Marseilles. Unfortunately ,he is not welcome with many of us, mostly due to his part is killing the pacifist faction of the Alliance. He is in good hands, though. Another Gundam pilot is taking care of him. Do not worry. If anyone can survive, it's that boy.

I just hope he never fights us.

<Relena gasps>: Heero.....!He's still alive! (Holds letter to chest) Iknew it.... (tears fall)

There is plenty to hate about me and the Scorpions, Princess, but please do not demonize us. Heero,Wufei and the other Gundam pilots have been labelled criminals by OZ for their actions, but many of us view them as mere boys. We are adults, yet we fight the same battles as them,sometimes even by their side.Our intentions are clear-we intend to halt the continued destruction of the Earth by anyone.

As leader of the Sanq Kingdom, you realize that Earth is being consumed by its own people's hatred for each other (once again). We cannot let this happen. I cannot let the demons of war haunt Earth again. And so does your brother. He is a good man, Relena. If given the chance, I would shake his hand and call him friend once again. But I cannot. I have commited the gravest mistake of all. I murdered one of his closest friends, Thomas Walker, and left Milliardo to watch. I feel ashamed that I have been dragged into cold blooded homicide.

I will not apologize for my actions though. It's almost too late for me. But it's not too late for you or Milliardo. My hands are stained with the blood of many people. They were soldiers,but I killed them simply to try find peace with my inner guilt. Your brother may think the same, but he in truth is much more a better man than I am. At least he has found a noble reason to fight. All I have ever done is fight. I have no other recourse , if I am to survive. My comrades think the same.

There is one other thing I wish to communicate to you. I do not know if you have met her yet, but I am crossing my fingers that you do. It concerns a person named Lucerezia Noin, a close personal friend of your brother's.

<Relena>: Noin?...

She was also very close to Thomas Walker. I know she has great hatred for me, and I cannot summon up the courage to confront her myself. I am too ashamed of myself to do it. I know I hurt her very hard, and when I killed two of her ex-charges in Sumeria, the look on her face remained the same as it did long ago when I murdered Walker.

I cannot apologize, as I have said earlier. What I want you to do is tell her....I did what I felt was right at the time....please, if you can. There is no way to get around this, I know. Tell her....Walker fought with great dignity and pride, and defended his men to the death. I have some of these artifacts I would like to hand over to Noin, enclosed in the package. These are articles on Walker when he bravely stormed my cockpit to try kill me.

<Relena opens up box>: An OZ uniform.....a bunch of lillies....a pair of fuzzy dice....a wallet..whoops..and a photo?

(Relena stares at the Academy photo of the Lake Victoria Three,Zechs is smiling for once, and has Noin on his arm. Walker is grinning, sitting down)

I am returning them to Noin because Walker has no family, and Noin seems to be the closest thing he had to a sister. I request that she put these lillies on his grave.

<Relena>: Lillies....the flower of Death.

There is no forgiveness for my kind, Relena.....Noin will never forgive me. So I ask that you do me this one favour. Give my salutations to your brother. I have a feeling we will meet again, regretabbly on opposite sides. That is all. May you and your people finally find peace.

Phantom Scorpio

 

(Noin walks in): Relena, it's time to address the Romefellers again.

<Relena>: Noin, can I talk to you for a second?

<Noin>: Of course.

<Relena>: I received this letter from Mrs Noventa....

(Noin looks at the artifacts and holds her hand to her mouth)

<Relena>: Maybe you shouldn't read it.( Puts letter away)

<Noin>: These...these are Walker's things!

<Relena>: Yes. Phantom Scorpio told me to give them to you.

<Noin>: Phantom told you to give these to me?

(Relena nods): He says he did only what he had to do. These flowers are to be put on his grave....

<Noin>: Lillies....he always liked them.....(cries)

<Relena hands Noin her handkerchief>: Here, Noin.

<Noin>: Thank you.....seeing these brings back memories.....bad memories...

[FLASHBACK]

<Scorpio>: Tell me something, Missy. Do you like scary movies?

<Noin>: Hey, what is this, a joke?

<Scorpio backs up behind to show old Scorpio>: You had your chance to stop, Missy. Now we've got Baikonur as well. Yessss.....Baikonur...

<Noin>:Baikonur?? Walker?? Walker?? Answer me! Do you copy?

<Scorpio laughs hysterically>: Walker? That porn addict? Here he is...

(Scorpio shows Walker's mask in Phantom's hand. He subsequently crushes it)

<Scorpio>:There he was.

[END FLASHBACK]

<Noin>: There he was.....gone just like that....lost to me forever..

<Relena>: Was he.....you know.....

<Noin>: No, I am in love with your brother...I always have been... Walker was ...I don't know...my best friend. Yes, Walker was my best friend. He once promised to give me away at my wedding,or be Zechs' best man. He even offered to be both. He tried to teach Zechs to play pool, just to help him impress me.

<Relena>: He sounds like someone I would have liked to have around.

<Noin>: Barring all those practical jokes he played on Zechs, Walker...he could have been anyone's friend. I will miss him....

<Relena>; Keep his uniform, Phantom wanted to return everything to you.

<Noin>: Gladly. I would be honoured. (Salutes )

<Relena>: One last thing. He wanted to give a message to my brother. He hopes that he will find peace at last,even if it's on the battlefield.

(Noin walks to the door)

<Relena>; And Noin?

<Noin>: Yes?

<Relena>: Thank you for sharing your feelings with me. It is comforting to know that I have someone who knows what I went through with my father's loss...

<Noin smiles>: Anytime, Relena...now we have to go.

<Relena>: Alright. (gets up)

[OUTER SPACE]

(Sattelite spy camera refocuses)

<Scorpio>: Farewell, Lucy....(salutes)

(hand goes on his shoulder):Otto?

<Otto>: Boss, Ma told me about your stuff...I'm truly sorry..

<Scorpio removes mask>: Otto, did you ever look back and ask if what we did was wrong?

<Otto>: I dunno, boss. I'm not sure if anyone knows what is right.

<Scorpio>: Domon Kashu once said that honor is found among friends....

<Otto>:For all it's worth, boss....I'm with ya all the way.No matter where we go.

<Noventa and the Purus>: We're in this too.

<Ma>: Honour IS found among friends, Phantom. Whether or not they are on the same side as us.

<Scorpio>: I hope you're right, Ma.

(Noin looks up in the sky):Walker....

(Scorpio looks onto Earth): Lucy....

 

 

next chapter