CHAPTER SIXTEEN- LUNAR DOMINATION

 

Phantom Scorpio's letter eventually reaches Relena, who paitently reads it (and so should you, reader) and discusses it with Noin. The Scorpions reassure Scorpio that he is on a legitamate quest, and that they are loyal to it. Noin receives Walker's materials, and gladly agrees to Phantom's requests to keep them. It's back to business though, as the Aquarius Vanguard is headed to its next destination...

<Crimson, on the comm>: I'm stuck on the moon, and you're going off to the South Pole. Great. Leave your most powerful mobile suit back home while you endanger the lives of 300 people on your ship.

<Scorpio>: It's the Crimson we all know and uh..love, alright. Have you learned your lesson now, Crimson? We're a team, and we have to stay united to acheive this.

<Crimson>: Yes, I suppose we need each other. I'm suprised they let me out so early.

<Twins>: Crimson, you're really a nice guy....it's just you don't wanna show it. Please don't do something stupid like that again.

<Crimson shakes head>: I know,girls, I know...I guess my guilt came over me that day.Phantom, OZ may decide to strike the colonies if they spot Otto and his Gundam. Any Gundam, as a matter of fact. Those bastards will attack for any reason.

<Scorpio>: Your point being?

<Crimson>: Requesting permission to comandeer the Pisces in case of Space assault. We're going to take over the OZ lunar base on the other side. Just in case.

<Scorpio>: Are you sure you and the lunar troops are enough? Remember, the colonies don't even know about us. We may end up facing them too.

<Crimson>: Good point. Listen, Phantom. I know this asking a lot, but I need you to obtain some hardware for me. I have an idea how to beat hordes of enemy MS with minimal casualties. I came up with it in jail, beleive it or not.

<Scorpio>: What do you need?

<Crimson>: Sanq Kingdom Defense Balls. They're slightly antiquated, but I feel that I can do something with them. Something major.

<Scorpio>: As soon as we can, Mardyev. We're concerned now with the pilot of HeavyArms, the one you met in Siberia. Remember him? We have reason to beleive that he is headed to the South Pole with his Gundam, or so say our contacts in the resistance.

<Crimson>: Yes, I remember him. As I recall, he wasn't the talkative type.

<Twins>: Neither are you, Crimson.

<Rose>: You two would get along, I can tell. (sniffs flower)

<Crimson>: Whatever you do, Scorpio I strongly suggest that you avoid contact with the Gundam at all costs. I also think that if you spot it, you should destroy it. That way, we can take the parts and safeguard the colonies at the same time.

<Scorpio>: I won't kill the pilot. He's done nothing to us. But I think that would be a sensible option.

<Rose>: Tell me, Crimson, what are you making? I hear machines in the background.

(Crimson steps back, showing two beam cannons being fitted onto the Cancer II)

<Rose>: The DX cannons....Crimson,that's overkill, even for you!

<Crimson>: We need a safeguard against Gemini ships and Space Laser Leos won't do. Besides, where will the OZ soldiers on the base run?

(smiles) They're already in a communication blackout.

<Scorpio>: Crimson, don't put the Lunarians at risk!

<Crimson>:No need to worry. This OZ facility is a clandestine research facility. It sends burst transmission digital reports to Earth every month. We'll simply replicate it. Treize won't suspect a thing.

<Twins>: Crimson, you're a genius!

<Crimson>: But of course. All I need is permission. Phantom?

<Scorpio>: It's too risky!

<Crimson>: Copy that. Crimson Cancer out.

[LUNAR SURFACE]

<Crimson, to Space Scorpions>: OK, we've been given the all clear. Lieutenant, scout report.

<TorusScorpion>: The last Gemini ship carrying rations and equipment has docked. It's time, Crimson.

<Crimson>: How does it feel to be free of that wretched Mobile Doll system?

<TorusScorpion>: Amazing, sir. This I-Field you invented solves all speed problems. (moves arms around) Who needs computers when you have guts?

<Crimson>: Good. I want us to enjoy this victory. The Mobile Doll rsearch was carried out at Baikonur, but the prototypes were built here. It'll be good for us if we captured and modified them.

<TorusScorpion>:If I may say so sir.....that's the most you're said in a month.

<Crimson>: Our lives are riding on this. I deserve to talk a little bit,don't I?

(Space Scorpions line up on a ridge)

<Leo with a sniper rifle>: Ready. Target in range. Firing now.

(Rifle shot hits outhouse)

<Crimson>: Damn rifle! We have to recalibrate it someday...

(Leo Rifle fires again, hitting an OZ Torus):Much better!

<LeoScorpion>: There seems to be no response on the radio frequencies...

<Crimson>: Get down! The place is defended by....MOBILE DOLLS!

(Toruses storm out ,guns blazing)

<Crimson>: Shit! That's why there's only a digital frequency! There's no one out here! Use your spread guns! There's no way you can hit them with rifles!

(Space Scorpions throw away rifles and use flamethrowers to create a barrier)

<Crimson>: Line up, Line up.....(Cursor tries to centre)

<Scorpion>: They're getting through, sir! Going to beam sabres!

(Leo takes out twin beam sabers and slashes the Torus)

<Crimson>: Fall back! I've got lock!

(Cancer II rises high into the lunar sky): Eat this!

The DX cannon is a very powerful microwave weapon, three times as powerful as the Space laser. The Toruses scramble to avoid it, but the beam is just too large to avoid. Trapped by the firewall, the Mobile Dolls are annhiliated by the heat ray, leaving a blackened crater. Crimson, however is drained. Cancer II plummets from the sky,only to be caught by a Scorpion.

<Scorpion>: Good thing we grabbed you before you drifted off or something, Crimson.

<Crimson in darkness>: (flicks a lighter) This beam weapon is powerful! I like it!

(Space Scorpions call in): Crimson, the human troops are surrendering.

<Crimson>: Oh no, human prisoners? What do we do? We can't just kill them, but we can't let them get to Earth....hmmm how do we approach this?

<Crimson gets lightbulb above his head>: Yes! Idea! Pull back, troops. I've got a better idea...

<OZ troops>: They're pulling back? That's strange...we won!

(OZ troops cheer)

<Crimson>: They can't detect your Torus with their primitive radar, Millie. Don't worry.

<Millie the TorusScorpion>: Here goes....

(punches a hole in the base walls, sucking out the air)

(OZ Troops are on high alert) : Launch the cruisers! One of the Mobile Dolls has gone haywire and our air supply is dwindling! This base is compromised! Damn those scientists! A human pilot would never do it wrong like that! (grabs oxygen mask)

(Gemini fleet leaves en masse)

<Crimson>: Watch them go....good work, Millie.

<Millie>: Sir!

<OZ HQ>: What are you doing? That's our only Lunar base! Get back there,stat!

<OZzie>: There's no point.The ventilation system is destroyed. One of the Torus Mobile Dolls destroyed our air circulation! Tell R&D to fix those problems!

<Lady Une>: I'll have none of that! Call up your commanding officer!

<OZzie>: I can't! He was uh....

<Other OZzie>: He was blown away in the outhouse.

<Lady Une>: How about the Mobile Dolls? Did you save any?

<OzZie>: No. They all self-destructed, apparently due to an inherent malfunction. I'm afraid there's nothing left...

<Une>: That base is impossible to rebuild....we have to build a factory satellite...and that is going to cost us...

<Lady Une>:Return then...there's nothing left for us on the Moon, anyway.

[IN THE BASE]

<Crimson,wearing his Space helmet>: Music to my ears. The OZ lunar base is ours. Patch up that hole, guys. Now we can observe the OZ worms from here-they'll never know it.

< Millie>: OK, Crimson. Patch it up, guys! Sir, the area you're in is secure! You can breathe now.

(Leos welding the hole)

<Colonoid leader Wang>: Crimson Cancer, Congratualations on your success! You have redeemed yourself quite well.

<Crimson>: My pleasure, Mrs Wang. And by the way,thanks for bailing me out. Where I came from,treason meant death.

<Wang>: Make no mistake about it Crimson, I only freed you because you helped the Chinese rebels. Now we're even.

<Crimson>: I never committed treason in the first place. I've learnt a valuable lesson from my experience in jail, Mrs Wang.

<Wang>: Teamwork is essential to victory?

<Crimson>: No. Take your chances. Whenever you can.

<Wang>: You're one piece of work, Red Scorpion....

Crimson sits on the command chair and laughs. No matter how much the Scorpions remain as a team, it is certain- Konstantin Mardyev is his own man. No one can challenge that. Now he has his own base to work on.

 

<Millie>: Laughing, Crimson?

<Crimson>: Forgive me, Millie. I guess the victory just got to me.

<Millie>: I heard what you said. It's very disturbing, sir...Are you still one of us?I have this feeling you didn't tell the Boss about this...

<Crimson>: What do you mean? What does this stand for? (shows Scorpion symbol)

<Millie>: Crimson....what would the Twins think? What would those two girls think if they saw you right now? Are you their hero inventor,or a selfish manipulator?

<Crimson>: Purus......they are still young,they have no right to see me like this....

<Millie>; Please, sir....don't turn your back on the Boss and the others...they're your friends. We're your friends...

<Crimson takes off his helmet>: My...friends...

<Millie>: Your friends...

<Mardyev>: I owe the Scorpions my life. We use my inventions to try fix the problems the Gundams and OZ cause. Phantom once told me that "we're the good guys".

<Millie>: Exactly....so think of all of us for a change...

[LATER]

<Mardyev on the PA system>: I'm declaring us the Space Scorpions. We'll still answer to Phantom and the others, but defending the Lunarians is our responsibility now that they're on Earth. Phantom is still the Boss. I just want to make that clear. So troops, don't worry about anything. I'm still a loyal Scorpion.(smiles at Millie)What do you think?

<Millie>: That's great! Space Scorpion Millie Thompson, reporting! (salutes)

<Mardyev>: Glad to have you on board. Now comes the hard part....how to tell Phantom about all this....*gulp*

<Scorpio>: He did WHAT?

next chapter!