CHAPTER 18- A ROSE,FOR A LADY

 

Phantom Scorpio and Desert Rose manage to make contact with Heero and Trowa at the South Pole, but run into Noin,who is being chased by Investigator Hahad and other Romfeller goons. They aid Noin in letting Heero reach the battleground, but it is too late to rescue Silver Scorpion, who somehow escapes Zechs' Tallgeese through a potentially dangerous manouver. Heero steps up in HeavyArms and begins his duel with Zechs. As the Romefeller troops begin to pour in, Zechs tells Heero to escape. Trowa lashes out at Rose, who by exposing his Jauhara Gundam, has endangered the colonies.Noin finally meets Phantom face to face. Now, they are headed for Moscow for their second to last mission...

 

 

<Narrator>: Phew! I need a glass of water!

<Scorpio>: The mission in Moscow is simple. We are to answer to any threats that Lady Une may be planning for this city.And if we can...assasinate her.

<Rose>: Assasinate her....(closes eyes)

<Silver>: We've intercepted a transmission from Moscow airport. Lady Une is indeed in Moscow. Scorpio, I suggest I go down on this one. I was raised in this city, I know the area.

<Ma>: He moved to Italy with me when we married, Sylvia.

(Sylvia nods)

<Scorpio>: Sylvia.....I need you for a special errand.

<Ma>: Scorpio, what do you intend to do with my granddaughter? (holds Sylvia back)

<Silver>: This better be good.

<Scorpio>: Don't worry. Silver and Rose will be down there to help you, sans the Mobile suits. Sylvia, you have an invitation to the Maquis' ball, don't you?

<Sylvia>: I got it before the OZ attack..what of it?

<Scorpio>: Look at these images.....(presses button)

<Sylvia>: That's Relena Peacecraft,queen of the Sanq Kingdom. What do I have to do with her?

<Scorpio>: She is likely to be here to avenge her father. If she ends up in the line of fire, the consequences will be disasterous...

<Sylvia>: And you want me to take her away from your assasination.

<Silver>: Scorpio,this is too dangerous! She's only a child!

<Sylvia>: Relena is also a child, grandpa....and she is brave enough to come all the way here to face her father's killer. I wish I was half as strong as her....I couldn't even shoot a boy I had every right to kill.... I'm as strong as she is...besides, I have backup!

<Twins in party dress>: Ta-da!

<Scorpio>: Purus! What do you think you're doing??

<Twins>: Boss...pleeeeeease? Somebody needs to accompany Sylvia and not look suspicious!

<Ma>: Well, Sylvia, it looks like you're going to a ball. And Rose?

<Rose>: Hmm?

<Ma>: Please try to act normal for a change.

<Rose>:(Sniffs red rose): Not now, Ma...I feel a little...optimistic today.

(Rose walks away)

<Scorpio>: Otto's been acting weird ever since he became Desert Rose....

<Silver>: We have no time to worry about him. The ball is tonight, and I have to iron my pants....

<Scorpio>: Oh, no no no.... Silver, you're coming with me. We're the "back up in case of assasination" part.

<Silver>: Oh man....old fogies like me never get to go to parties.

<Ma>: You're MY old fogie, Bob:)Don't you forget that.

[CRIMSON BASE]

<Crimson to Rose>: You're in Mother Russia, and there's this girl you want to meet. Heh. And you want tips on Russian girls?

<Rose>: Well Mardyev, I want info on where bigwigs stay. You know, five star stuff. With lots of roses.

<Crimson>: What do I look like, a hotel guide?

<Rose>: I dunno, you being a Muscovite and all....

<Crimson>: Well, there is one place in Moscow called the Revolution Hotel. Noventa's been there ,mostly when he was Field Marshall. from what I hear, they have fresh red roses in every room.

<Rose>: That's all I needed to know.

(Mille and Meryl the Space Scorpions plaster their faces on the screen)

<Meryl/Mille>: It's ROSE! OOOO I wanna have your baby! You're so cute!

(Crimson is squashed!)

<Crimson>: I am ...finding it...hard..to...breathe......ladies??

[THE BALLROOM]

<Relena>: Thanks for letting me in, grandfather...

<Maquis>: No problem, child. You are always welcome at my house...we are family, after all...

<Relena>: OZ is a terrible organization.....

<Maquis>: Yes, they've done many things to this Earth of ours. I cannot stand for their goal of world 'unity' through force. Yet I am powerless to stop them. I am nothing but an old nobleman....

<Relena>; Don't talk like that, grandfather...here, have some more tea...

Lady Une, wearing the red rose Treize Kushrenada had given her earlier in the day, comes in with two OZ troopers. Treize had sent her to meet with the Maquis, who may be influential in his dealings with the Moscow elite. Sylvia and the Purus radio in...

<Sylvia>: Rose, Une is here!

[AIR VENT]

<Rose>: I'm ready.....

<Rose to himself>: Who am I kidding? I can't shoot her! I couldn't kill her when she was in a crappy Leo back then, how can I kill her now? My heart is beating....

<George DeSande voice>: Hi there, Rose.

<Rose>: Who the heck are you? Where the heck are you?

<George>: I used to pilot your Gundam for Neo France. Listen up, Rose. Do you really want to kill this woman? I mean, why is your hand shaking?

<Rose>: Get outta my head!!

<George>: You are in love with her. A part of her seems to have connected with you somehow....

<Rose>: What do you mean?? She's a certified psycho! She shot a guy right in front of me! She is 100% crazy!

<George>:Then why did you not kill her before? All you did was ask her why you were feeling that way towards her! In truth, you should be asking yourself! This means only one thing...

<Rose>: That I've finally flipped?

<George>: That means....Domon Kashu is no longer the King of Hearts....

<Rose>: I've flipped.

(George stops talking, Rose steadies rifle)

<Relena>: I'd rather be draped in the blood of OZ! This is for father!!

Relena takes out her gun and shoots Une, who avoids the shot by a hair. Her rose is shattered as Relena runs away, regrtetting that she missed. She tearfully runs through the streets of Moscow, unsure of what her actions may have caused.Lady Une tries to give chase, but the Maquis stops her. She pushes the old man aside and tells her troops to fan out. Une herself goes into an elevator, to get to a chopper on the rooftop.

<Une,talking to elevator operator>: Top floor! Hurry!

(Lift door closes)

<Attendant, pressing STOP button>: Sorry, Lady Une.

<Lady Une>: What the hell??

(Rose kisses Lady Une)

<Rose>: Someone who tastes this sweet can't be all bad....

<Lady Une>: You! Where's my gun...

<Rose,holding gun>: These things are bad. I want to talk to you in private.By the way, you didn't wipe your mouth. Maybe things are looking up!

<Lady Une charges Rose>: Die, Scorpion!

Lady Une catches Rose off guard, knocking him down and jarring his mask loose. However, she hit her head in the process, and passes out. Otto, not knowing what to do, pushes Lady Une off and examines her.

<Otto, using his mask as a pillow>: Oh God...she's out! I didn't want it to end like this!!CPR, don't fail me now!

[A FEW MINUTES LATER]

<Otto>: Lady Une....you look so innocent...like a saint...I wish this image could last forever....

<Lady Une,stammering>: Like a saint....?

<Otto>: Shhh...you hit your head really hard........my saint....

At least your glasses didn't break...

<Lady Une>: I can't move......everything's spinning....

<Otto>:I'm sorry you were hit so hard..it's my fault....now shhhh.... You're bleeding...

<Lady Une>: Why are you calling me your saint? I dont even know you...*ow*

<Otto>: I just have this feeling.....(what did George say)...the King of Hearts tells me.....hey, let me untie your hair..this'll loosen some of your pain.

(Otto unties her hair): There...much more..beautiful..

<Lady Une>: This is strange...I don't have my glasses, yet I can see you....your face is very clear....

<Otto>: You..don't know me, do you?

<Une>: No...I don't think so...

<Otto>:I am the Desert Rose....and I see the saint within you...

<Lady Une>: Saint....that sounds...sounds like such a peaceful name.

<Otto>: I'm begging you, Saint Une....please don't die....not now,when I'm finally seeing your true kind form....

<Colonel Une>: I'm not dying yet, you idiot!*Ow*

<Otto>: The healing process isn't complete, it seems...my love...(Strokes Lady Une's hair)

<Saint Une>: I am devoted to Treize Kushrenada.....

<Colonel Une>: I am devoted to Treize...to the death...

<Otto, tear falls down cheek>: I understand....I cannot stop you from loving anyone you please.....even you, my saint....you still love Treize?

<Saint une>: Treize is my life...but I can never forget you......

<Colonel Une>:I only serve Mister Treize! But...I owe you my life...

<Otto>: It seems I can't win...even the good in you loves another person....Is this Treize so noble? What does he have that I don't...?

<George>: Her affections, it seems....

<Otto>: I have to leave you here, my lovely Saint Une.....Treize will take care of you...he better.....but one last request....

Otto takes Lady Une in his arms and gives her a full-on, no nonsense kiss. Lady Une's barriers break down, and she grabs his head and pulls Otto closer to her. The passionate kiss seems to last forever, and neither of them wants to let the other go. All time seemed to stop. Even the commotion in the ballroom went unnoticed. For once, two people on oppsite sides of a war were absent from reality, seemingly in their own romantic bliss... Then...

<Scorpio>: Rose! Where's Lady Une? Relena is up and running!

<Otto>:......I have to leave...I'm sorry...my saint....I love you.

<Combined Lady Une>: Will I ever see you again,my Rose?

<Otto refixes mask>: If you ever need me, Lady Une.....

(hands Une a White Rose): Just hold my friend here to the wind....

<Combined Une>: This rose can never compare to you....

<Otto grips her shoulders>: Now...please take care of yourself...war is not the way to deal with the colonies.....please...for the sake of love....a rose..for the lady....

<Lady Une>:I will try....Rose...

(Otto opens the lift doors and runs. The lift reaches the roof)

<Lady Une grips her head>: ARRRGH!! What's happenning to me...???

(OZ soldiers rush to aid her): Colonel Une! Are you alright?

<Lady Une>: ...for the sake of love...

[MOSCOW STREETS]

<Relena, running>: Damn! Those Leos have spotted me!! (takes out gun) They're not taking me alive!!

(OZ soldiers grab Relena)

<Puru 1>; Let her go, moron! (Kung Fu kicks Oz trooper)

<OZ trooper>: OW! my foot! You'll pay!

(Noin shoots one trooper): Relena, over here! (Relena jumps on her bike, Noin speeds away)

<OZ number 2>: Get off me, you pesky kids!

<Sylvia>: You're cowards, like Heero!

<Puru 2>: HAI-YA! (Kicks OZ trooper into bin)

<Puru 1>: Way to go, sis! (high fives Puru 2)

<Leos>: Where do you think you're going?

(Leos are slashed from behind by Silver's Sabre)

<Twins>: Run, Miss Peacecraft! Run!

(Forrest Gump runs by)

<Sylvia>: Run like that guy!

(Noin speeds off): You didn't succeed, did you? The look on your face tells all...

(Relena shakes her head)

<Silver>: Are you three alright?

<Twins>: We're fine, Silver! But where's Otto?

<Otto, standing on a rooftop, cape billowing>: My Saint.....I wish you well....may we meet again ...when love can bloom once more.....like the roses in spring...

<Lady Une looks down from chopper>: This White Rose...I will never lose it....my Desert Rose....

next *sniff* chapter...