CHAPTER 2- THE GREAT STRAIN

Walker has returned to Baikonur base, which lies in Kazakhstan at the old Russian Cosmodrome. While his lieutenant Otto tries to cheer him up over the destruction of Victoria base, Walker remains feeling responsible for it. Even a reunion with old friends Zechs Marquise and Lucerezia Noin cannot dampen his guilt, although it did help inspire him to design better mecha....for the Soldiers of the Future.

<Otto>: We've checked in, boss.

<Walker>: Good, I'm tired. Let me rest now.

<Otto>:Um, boss?

<Walker>: Yeah?

<Otto>:There've been some rumors going round base. The techies tell me you're a Special. Is that true?

<Walker>:I trained with Zechs and Noin, but I'm not a Special. They are fighters, warriors. I'm just a mech designer, like you.A scientist. A mechie. We build these bad boys to keep the peace, plus other units...to make peace.

(They walk down the hall)

<Otto>:You mean like Phantom Scorpio? Or Cancer II?

<Walker>: I suppose, Otto. Though I was thinking of Aquarius and Pisces over there. Ah, one day... to go back to the moon. To build colonies there, the promised Land. Weren't your ancestors from there?

<Otto>: My name's Otto von Bahn, not von Braun, sir.(Otto the Road)

<Walker>: I stand corrected. You have nothing to fear. Everyone here has been hand picked by Noventa himself.No Ozzies,none of Septum's men. We're all Alliance people here, scientists, botanists, hippies and technicians building for a better world. Listen, I want to see Phantom first thing in the morning. Is it as stealthy as you say?

<Otto>:First thing in the morning, boss. You get some sleep now, we'll handle the rest.And Sir? Please try to keep your plane keys in another place...

<Walker>: Yeah, yeah. (Closes door) *Yawn* (Looks in mirror) Takes time to make time.

ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz.(Flops on bed)Mmmmm...chocolate...

 

MORNING, BAIKONUR BASE, 0800 HOURS

<Otto,knocking on door> :Sir? Sir? Wake up, boss.

<Walker>:Yeah, do it to me...yeah...baby...ZZzzZZZ hmphxdf?? Otto?

<Otto>: You wanted to see Scorpio, sir.

<Walker>: At Eight in the morning?Man, you killed a good dream...

<Otto>:The rest of us hafta work, you know. Come on Captain, lets go already. The crew are waiting.

<Walker>:Bite me. I'll be there in a bit.

(Walker looks at the Academy photo of the Lake Victoria Three)

<Walker>:Dang it, you two...Of all the folks to disappoint, why did it have to be you? I promise ,Zechs, Noin...I won't fail you again...

(Otto and Walker step on deck)

<Techie>:Officer on deck! Oh, and the boss is here too!

<Otto>: There she is, boss. Phantom Scorpio, Stealth model PS-01.

<Techie>: It can even evade radar, sonar and infra red.

<Otto>:X-ray diffusion, ultraviolet, you name it. Only tachyon pulses seem to notice it, due to its Gundanium + Carbon make up. I wish we could have received that shipment, but seems a Gundam has intercepted it....

<Walker>: It'll do. Anything else?

<Techie>: We haven't fitted any other weapons on it yet, but its close range weaponry is assembled. See that tail attached to its head? It's a Gundanium alloy chain, a manriki gusari. It's boosted with electric voltage drawn from surrounding electrostatic fields. The booster config is wierd, but per your design, we put thrusters on the feet, back and ankle areas. I'm guessing you want Phantom to be a sub orbital unit?

<Walker>: Yup. As an insertion unit, it has to drop from nowhere. That's why I need all the thrusters.

<Techie>: You can activate the fins above 6 km, to glide. Evades thruster heat detection.The bubble type cockpit will provide recycled oxygen for you. Sir, we can't build another one. We're out of Gundanium. This, and the other suit, that Tallgeese over there. It was quite a challenge, sir.

<Walker>:Excellent, Mardyev. I'll tell Zechs his suit is ready.

(Pats Mardyev on the shoulder)

<Otto>:You want to give it to Zechs, boss? Sure he can handle the thrusters?

<Walker>: He can handle them, I know it. There are only two things Zechs cannot handle. Fuzzy dice, and defeat. He's never met defeat. His neck won't buckle until he buckles it himself. That's the kinda guy he is.

<Otto>: Trieze Kusrenada respects him, so he must be that good a soldier.

<Walker>: The perfect soldier. I don't know how Noin can get to him....Kushrenada, I don't respect. I hear he shoots the birds at his training range instead of of the targets...

<Otto>:Colenel Treize's aide, Lady Une is always next to him...

<Walker>: She's a bitch, yes. We better stay out of her hair. By the way, Otto send Tallgeese over to Zechs.

<Otto>: Will do, boss. Divisions reporting in now.

<Cancer technician>: Sir, the laser arrays are complete. Now, we're working on a transformation frame for it.

<Walker>:Cool. Now I can fix the problem that Nataku discovered with it. It was just too darn slow. Maybe a pair of legs might give it a

fighting chance.

<Aquarius/Pisces>: Sir, we got a problem. It's the stealth fields.

<Walker>: What now?

<Aquarius/Pisces>: Water vapour just condenses onto the surfaces. Seems when we supercool the frame, wind blows out the pattern of our ships. It isn't a problem is space, but it really exposes us out in Earth's atmosphere.

<Walker>: Work on it. They're designed to carry up to 300 people. I don't want the Gundams or anyone to detect them. It would be disasterous. Also, put our mark on it, not OZs. Just in case Septum gets any ideas.

<Aquarius/Pisces>:Will do, boss.

<Otto>:Isn't it amazing how twins can talk simultaneously?

<Walker>:Yeah, scares the heck outta me, but they're qualified. That's all that matters.

<Otto>:Almaty base is getting old. These people might like it up there. Kinda like when the Side colonies were built long ago.

<Walker>: Is Tallgeese on its way to Zechs?

<Otto>:Yup. The usual way, of course. The Flying Truck. One of our creations, meant to carry MSs faster.

<Walker>: MMhm. Course, some of those parts were kinda expensive...hope Zechs takes care of Tallgeese. We can't afford those parts for some time.

<Otto>:I'm sure we can balance the checkbook, boss.

---ZECHS' BASE---

Soldier: C.O.D??

----BAIKONUR, NEXT DAY----

<Walker>:Otto, I want you and a few of our guys to take a Flying Truck

to

Edwards base. The big guns are gathered there, and we're

sending some Prototype Leos to help security out. Also, get

hold of Field Marshall Noventa and get his opinion on our

space campaign.It'd be great if he backed us.Mardyev and I

are taking Phantom Scorpio and Cancer II out for a

test run, along with a few Space Leos. We're gonna stop by

Almaty base.

<Otto>: Will do sir. I'm off. Should I take a stealth model Truck?

<Walker>: Why not, it'll save on parking.

----EDWARDS BASE----

Trieze:We're here, Lady Une.

<une>: Well, it seems all the top brass are here. That was a good idea, telling colony Media that OZ leaders are gathered here.

<Trieze:> Yes, thank you. This won't take long, I predict. (Calls Zechs)

<Zechs>: Yes, sir. Pilot, is Nairobi base detecting us?

<Pilot>: Yes, sir. But I told them we were performing excersises over Mombasa.

<Noin,in Aries>: Excellent, pilot. Zechs, have you raised Walker yet?

<Zechs>: No response, Noin. I want him out of Baikonur, before the Almaty

strike.

<Noin>: I'm not sure if he'd agree to this...

<Zechs>: It's the right thing to do. He'd understand. I'm positive. I'll keep trying.

Noventa makes his speech about making peace with the colonies. Septum protests, citing the Gundams as an excuse to up his space forces. Trieze's plan hatches, and Gundams Wing and Deathscythe show up. A fierce firefight ensues outside, as fifty or so Leos try to stop Heero and Duo. Trieze offers Noventa and his entourage to go on an OZ express, while Septum goes with Trieze and Une.

---ALMATY BASE---

<Soldier>: Aries! We're under attack! Dammit, we can't hold up forlong!

Our Leos are no match for these guys! Evacuate the

civiliians!Hurry!

<Traitor>: Bleep.

<Aries>: Bleep. (Traitor shoots Soldier)

(Scorpio and Cancer II show up with Space Leos)

<Walker:> What da fuck....

(OZ units give Aries signal, Walker and the others transmit back)

<Mardyev>: Hold on,they'e attacking the Almaty base!Boss! We have to stop them!

<Walker>: I knew we had traitors in the Alliance. Hmph. No honor. Gang, attack any unit that flashes back! Baikonur base, send over the Trucks to pick up the Civilians before any more get killed! Quick! I'll go in and save any loyal units. And get Otto and the Generals out of Edwards! There may be more there!

(Mardyev fires Cancer's missiles, destroying several Aries units)

Phantom Scorpio makes the OZ signal and slashes through respondents. He calls out to Friendly Leos to follow him, while the Space leos shoot down the Aries carriers with their Space Lasers. The Aries commander panics and calls Noin.

<Commander>: Lieutenant Noin! We're being slaughtered here by an unknown force! I didn't know the Federation had these kinds of units?

<Noin>: God Damnit, Commander! Eliminate them!

(Walker listens through interceptors, patches himself through)

<Walker>: What the HELL are you doing?

<Noin, doesn't recognize Walker behind his Phantom Scorpio helmet>

Who are you?? A Gundam pilot? Identify yourself!

<Walker>:......I don't believe it. They're actually involved in this..travesty. Where Zechs goes, Noin follows.

<Noin>: Identify yourself!

<Walker>: You better not touch any more bases, Missy. Or else! (Crushes Aries Commander Mech's head) Out!

<Noin>: Zechs, we've got trouble at Almaty Base!

<Zechs>: A Gundam?

<Noin>: I don't know. Right now though, we have to concentrate on the mission. Nairobi base is right ahead. Walker's still at Baikonur, though.

<Mardyev>: Maybe these guys ARE the traitors, boss. (Points to Fed Leos)

<Walker>: Hmm...(looks at old mask) I see the trucks are on their way back to Baikonur...Base, do you copy? Code name...Strip Search. Are Aquarius and Pisces ready for launch?

<Base>: Copy that, Phantom. Ships are go for launch, but stealth fields are still not operable in atmospheric conditions. Removing all data and equipment, initializing back up.

<Walker>: One more base and it's confirmed, Mardyev. OZ is launching a coup. Maybe she was protesting. I couldn't get any decent audio.

<Mardyev>: We better hope so. Zechs and Noin are two people we don't want on the other side.

---EDWARDS BASE---

<Otto, in the bathroom>: Nice mags they got here.

<Scorpion>: Yo, Otto, the boss wants us out of here, plus any generals we can save.

<Otto>: What?

<Scorpion>: He thinks we're in the middle of some kinda takeover.

<Otto puts magazine in pocket>: Oh, alright. It's probably just a Specials exercise or something...

<Noventa, being escorted to OZ ship>: Excuse me, soldiers but I have to relieve myself.

<OZ soldier>: Hey, we hafta get out of here, Field Marshall, before those Gundams get us all.

<Oz Soldier two>: Don't get the old man angry, now. you know how cranky old guys get when they can't pee.

(OZ Soldier opens men's room)Move it, sir.

<Otto>: Funny hats, funny uniform. Those guys aren't regular army.They're Specials.

<Scorpion>: The Marshall just went into the potty. Otto, they don't look like they really want to save him.

<Scorpion Two, calling from outside>: I've started the Stealth Truck. We'll have to grab him fast.If those Gundams see the OZ sign on the plane, he and the other Generals are toast. Also, I;ve got a bio sig on Septum. He's on another plane.

<Otto thwaps OZ Soldiers with the magazine>: I guess smut has its uses.

(Scorpion One and Otto steal their uniforms)

<Otto>: Hide'em in the cubicles.

<Noventa>: Alright, soldiers, lead me to the shuttle...Hey, who are you?

<Otto>: Just follow us sir, the Oz plane is not safe.

The other Federation Generals go on the OZ plane, which is sighted by Heero Yuy. Heero, thinking that the OZ leaders are in there, slashes the plane wide open. Trowa's missile attack blows up the airport. Trieze's plane takes off, but Kushrenada is unaware that Noventa is on board the Stealth Truck, headed for Baikonur at top speed.After some lengthy explanation,Noventa realizes something is wrong.He sees Septum fall from Trieze's craft, plus the gunshot that kills him.It is then he realizes that Specials are mounting a coup, and that bases worldwide are being taken over.

---NAIROBI BASE---

<Soldier>: We're under attack! Their suits are impenetrable!

<Traitors>: For the soldiers of the future.(Attack friendly units)

<Seargant>: SOS!SOS! Anybody out there, Help! We're under attack by traito----.....

<Noin>: That's enough out of you.

--BAIKONUR BASE--

<Walker>: Mardyev, did you pick that up?

<Mardyev, shakes head>: Confirmed, Scorpio. It's OZ, the guys you were offered to join but refused. What's their motive?

<Walker:> Base....prep Aquarius and Pisces for launch. We're getting off here.

<Mardyev/Aquarius-Pisces twins>: But the stealth fields are only 80% modified!

<Walker>: I've loaded all our stuff onto the ships. Torus suits, escort the ships. Twins, Mardyev. We have no other choice. OZ will kill these people if we stay on Earth. They're like us, alone and afraid. Besides, the Aquarius is like a floating hotel. It's not like they're refugees or something.

<Twins>: It IS a floating hotel. We're the ones who modified it for this purpose.

<Walker>: My point exactly. Get on board, people!

<Otto,calling from Pisces>: Boss, Noventa's on board....the others...

<Walker>: You tried your best, Otto. At least we saved the top guy. What is that in your pocket?

<Otto>: November edition.

<Walker>: Whoo Hoo! You BETTER make it, Otto. I've got something to do, though.

(Phantom Scorpio shoots old Scorpio full of holes. He sets fire to his old uniform)

<Walker>: Now to call a certain traitor...(Puts on Phantom Mask, holds old mask)

<Noin,finishing off Nairobi forces>: Hey, who is this? it's you again!

<Scorpio>: Tell me something, Missy. Do you like scary movies?

<Noin>: Hey, what is this, a joke?

<Scorpio backs up behind to show old Scorpio>: You had your chance to stop, Missy. Now we've got Baikonur as well. Yessss.....Baikonur...

<Noin>:Baikonur?? Walker?? Walker?? Answer me! Do you copy?

<Scorpio laughs hysterically>: Walker? That porn addict? Here he is...

(Scorpio shows Walker's mask in Phantom's hand. He subsequently crushes it)

<Scorpio>:There he was.

(Noin gasps)

<Scorpio>: Yes, he fought well. Sadly, he lost. He fought for a cause

that truly led to his demise. I am happy. Do you hear me,

woman? (mimicks Chang)

<Noin>: You monster! I haven't forgotten about Victoria base!

<Scorpio>: Look who's talking! Remember my face! Remember my name! I am

Phantom Scorpio! I KILLED WALKER! Remember me, woman! I am

Death!

Remember us!The Scorpions have struck!---end---

<Otto>: We're the "Scorpions" now? Sounds kinda corny. And that was one dumbass speech...

<Scorpio>:Hey it sounds cool to me. Twins, I'm coming on board Aquarius. Launch as soon as I get on board.

<Twins>: Hey, where are we going? No colony will take us in!

<Scorpio>: We're not going to the Sides.We're going Lunar.

Scorpio explains to Noventa and the Twins that terraforming equipment on board will help build and recover the abandoned Lunarian colonies on the far side of the Moon. The Almaty Base civillians, mostly engineers and agriculture experts volunteer, for their own survival. As Trieze makes his announcement about the takeover, Noventa laments that peace cannot be made as long as OZ exists.

<Scorpio>: Trieze Kushrenada, you and Lady Une better watch your

backs.What you started, the Gundams will finish. That, I can

assure you. I'm headed for the Moon, away from all this

madness. Maybe you can forgive me, Noin...Zechs... Thomas

Ian Walker is dead.Now only Phantom Scorpio exists. Don't

cry for me,Lucy. I'm sure Zechs will take care of you.

<Noin, crying>: Zechs....it's Walker....he's....(sobs,shows Scorpio's ultimatum)

<Zechs,in control of tower>:No....Walker.....someone finally beat him...Phantom Scorpio...you will pay....