CHAPTER 4- ENTER THE SCORPION

 

After the chaotic escape from Baikonur Base, Scorpio and the others have just barely made it to the Moon, where they intend to escape the OZ-Alliance coflict.The Alliance Field Marshall Noventa joins the Scorpions, while a newly discovered Gundam artifact mysteriously reactivates, bonding with Phantom Scorpio the mech. While Zechs receives his new Tallgeese, Scorpio is unsure whether to pilot his newly bonded mech.....

 

<Scorpio>: I don't know about this, Noventa....(looks up at Phantom Scorpio and its new arm)

<Otto>: God...look at that arm..it's a freak of nature!

<Mardyev,now on space patrol>: Bohze moi....

<Tech>: All this information...it's teaching us, how to pilot it!

<Scorpion>: Sir,the Alamtians want to talk to you.

<Scorpio>: OK. This is more important than the mecha.

(People are gathered outside, upset over something)

<Scorpio>: How can we be of any assisance?

<Civilian>: We've been building this new colony here on the Moon, but we got problems. One, we're running out of building material fast. Food and water we can sustain thanks to the synth soils and the colony's old water system. But we can't build anything without construction suits and space metal!

<Woman>: My son is sick with space fever!

<Boy>: I want my Granpa...

<Scorpio>:Where's your Granpa?

<Boy>: Earth...

<Civilain>: Scorpio, you have to do something! We thought you were going to save us! I didn't come all this way to die!

People boo, raise fists in the air. Scorpio didn't want this, but the people are right. If he doesn't get what they need, all lunar life will starve to death. Yet, he has no means, with his MS uncertain, and the Scorpions battered. He escorts the civvies out, then rubs his forehead in desperation. Then Mardyev gives his boss a suprise on the comm.

<Mardyev>: Sir, we've repaired Aquarius, but Pisces is still damaged from ramming the Gemini. Then- Hey! Who raised those relics?

God Gundam's awakening (its arm, anyway) has triggered a release mechanism within neo Japan and the surrounding colony ruins. Out come Gundams Speigel, Nobel and Dragon. Mardyev's scans indicate that they're hollowed out, but their sheer presence is intimidating. Noventa says that some pilots only abandoned their mecha, not destroyed. Otto remembers his grandfather telling him of the great German Speigel Gundam. With all this, Scorpio finally understands Fuhai's message.

"Warriors of Neo Japan...."

<Scorpio> I'm going to board Phantom.

----NEAR SANQ KINGDOM----

<Zechs>: I'm going to board Tallgeese.

<Noin>: Test runs are a good way to prepare for a real mission.

<Zechs>: Yes, instructor Noin.

<Noin in Aries>: Zechs! Be serious! This suit is powerful enough to kill you!

<Zechs>: Yes, instructor Noin. Launching from transport now.

<Pilot>: Hatch open. We are go.

(Tallgeese falls out)

<Zechs>: Activating vernier input. Arrrgh!!!

Tallgeese's legendary boosters are truly powerful, sending Zechs into painful spasms. As Tallgeese boosts over the test range, its cockpit shakes and trembles. Zechs is in pain and his heart is beating hard, but he continues. Noin's worry level matches Zechs' pain level, though the latter has a threshold. Zechs gives up just before his nose starts bleeding.

<Noin>: Zechs!

<Zechs>: No...what's holding me back??? Why... Am I not strong enough? I have to try again!

<Noin>: Hell no! You're not going anywhere until you get some rest!

<Zechs>: No! I will not until I gain control of this thing!

<Noin>: I am the instructor here. You will follow my orders!

<Zechs>;....affirmative. For now.

<Noin>: Not again...why is he so intent on mastering Tallgeese? I know the Sanq Kingdom is his homeland, but ...Zechs..

(In the R/R room, Zechs and Noin are playing pool)

<Zechs>: Tomorrow morning, we'll try again. and yes, Noin, no middle of the night impromptu tests.(raises hands)

<Noin>: We'll just have to keep you under lock and key then, Lieutenant.

<Zechs>: I look forward to that..uh I mean..uh..

<Noin>: My shot, Lieutenant Red Face, move it!

<Zechs>: What the heck did I say?

(Noin sinks the 6-ball):Aw come on Zechs, I know how you feel. Everyone knows.Why hide our relationship at all?

<Zechs smoothens his cue>: I'm not exactly focused on that right now, Noin. 7-Ball, corner pocket.

(Zechs rips the pool table. The bar owner is heard sobbing)

<Noin>: You were always crap at pool. Maybe you should hide that:)

<Zechs,imagining Walker at his usual spot trying to teach him to impress Noin at pool>: I tried to learn, but I guess mobile suit warfare is easier to pick up...

<Noin>: Hah.Excuses from the great Zechs Marquise. Mind if a girl plays through? 7-ball, side pocket.

(Noin sinks the shot)

<Zechs>: OK,OK. YOU pilot Tallgeese.

<Noin>: Aw Zechs, you're cute when you're like that.

(Zechs tries to shoot the 8-ball, but the cold sweat on the bar owner's forehead means that he should stop)

<Zechs>: You play battleship?

 

 

---SCORPION BASE---

<Scorpio climbs inside Phantom Scorpio>:Testing new arm.

(God Gundam arm whirrs and grips)

(Scorpio reads Domon's information): According to this, the arm emits some sort of energy spike at the palm. Kashu calls it a Shining Finger.

I don't understand these instructions. "Engulf full passion into final blow"? Is this an instruction guide or a romance novel? Anyhoo, let's keep on working.

---EARTH ORBIT HORIZON---

<Otto,Mardyev and Noventa>: Launching from Aquarius. Earth drop in 10 secs.

<Otto>: I sure hope Scorpio knows what he's doing. Sending us back to Earth to collect material like this is important, but he's too darn sensitive about that mech of his. Maybe he wants to be some sorta super hero.

<Mardyev>: He's the boss, we follow orders. Masks on, folks.

<Noventa>: Silver Scorpion, confirm.

<Mardyev>: Crimson Cancer, confirm.

<Otto>:....uh...Red Bull,confirm.

<Mardyev>:Quit looking at yer drink and get a real codename!

<Otto>: Great Chef,confirm....sheesh!

<LeoScorpion pilot>: OK ,dear hostages, time for Act One, let's go to Siberia.

<Mardyev>: Nice to be back.

<Noventa>; Good thing your base already had the delivery plans in advance.

<LeoScorpion>: We'll carry out plan Phase two. You 'Gundams' just stick to the plan.

Phantom Scorpio has decided to send his three Lieutenants to Earth to aquire some more material, Gundanium in particular. Robbing any advanced armor suits is also included as secondary objective. Disguising themselves in the shells of Gundam Speigel, Nobel Gundam and Shi Dragon Gundam, the Scorpions are taken 'hostage' by LeoScorpions masquearding as OZ officers. They hope to get close to Siberia, where the Torus suits they helped develop are headed. Scorpio himself is still on the Moon, learning Domon's moves and fixing up the rest of the base.

<LeoScorpion>: Base, this is Leo unit, requesting permission to enter for re-fuel and re-stocking.

<Base>: Why are you coming here so far away from another Leo base?

<Une>:What's going on soldier?

<Base>:A Leo contingent is requesting resupply, Lady Une.

<Une>: Are they ours?

<base>: Yes, they're our Leos. They have some MS'es under cover though.

<Une>:Let them in, but I want to inspect the cargo, just in case.

(Lady Une goes out of the room)

<Une>: Funny time to be out for manouveres, this time of year....

<Otto> IZ cold! How can you guys stand this?

<Noventa>: Mardyev and I are Russian. We're used to this weather. Now shaddap. Radio silence.

(Base doors slde open, LeoScorpions walk in with the three 'Gundams')

<Une>: How did you capture these Gundams?? I thought they were only five of them...

<LeoScorpion>: This one self destructed, while the other two

fell into a minefield that we set. We came here because they destroyed our base. They're too dangerous to be left out there.

<Une>: I have data on the five Gundams in this disk. If you can add to it, Mr Trieze would appreciate it. They've been in a thorn in our side for a long,long time. Three Gundams down would booste morale, plus it'd be good for our strong image.

(Une gives LeoScorpion a data disk)

<Noventa>: You mean yours?

<Une>: Did you say something, Leo One?

<LeoScorpion>: No ma'am, must be the howling wind outside (closes doors)

<Une>: Give me your names and ranks. You'll get promotions for this.

<LeoScorpion II>: Will do, ma'am.

(Une walks upstairs)

<LeoScorpions>: OK guys, do your thing. T-minus three hours to Aquarius pickup.

<Otto>: Gimme the disk. Time to play actor.

<Noventa>: I'll download the information on the routes taken. Crimson, you watch our backs.

<Mardyev>: Aye aye.

(LeoScorpion walks into control bridge)

<LeoScorpion>: Lady Une, here's the first piece of information needed.

<Une>:I'm sure you and your comrades will be rewarded for your efforts by Mr Treize himself.

<LeoScorpion>: If you don't mind, we'd like to borrow a transport plane to get to the Leo base at Moscow. Also, our Leos are too damaged to be repaired. Request Aries to temporary replacement till we get to Moscow.

<une>: But of course. As soon as you return the disk on the Gundams, you can take a plane. Once again, good job. Maybe we can beat those Gundams now.

(LeoScorpion walks down into the hall again): You wish.

---3 HOURS LATER---

<Otto>: Done. Not bad, if I say so myself. *chomp*

<Noventa>: Routes downloaded into Scorpio mainframe.

<Mardyev>: No sign of OZ troopers incoming.

(LeoScorpion gives Une the modified disk)

<LeoScorpion>: We'll be on our way.

<Une, looking at list>: Yes, Seargant...Beavis, is it?

<LeoScorpion>: Yup. (salutes and returns to other Scorpions)

<Comms oficer>: Wow, those guys really took down three Gundams? They must have a mean set of balls!

<Une>: How do you know one of them's not a woman?

<Officer>: No offence, Lady.Uh...oh dear..ah hah! Colonel Trieze, on line one. *phew*

<Trieze>:Your comm officer said you had good news for me, Lady Une.

<Une salutes>: Yes sir.Three Gundams, albeit unidentified before have been taken down by a Leo squadron using mines.

<Trieze>: Mines..weapons of desperate soldiers.. do you have their names?

<Une>: Seargants...Beavis,Butthead, Homer and Bart Simpson.

<Treize>: They just let anyone in OZ these days....

The Scorpions, having suceeded, load themselves into the transport craft and head for apogee, where the Aquarius de-cloaks and takes them in. Cancer II unloads the parts it had stolen and a cache of alloy metal. The Leos had self destructed their suits and reutrned with Aries and even a Torus suit to make it look like the 'Gundams' had escaped.

Otto hopes Lady Une will enjoy the disk.Meanwhile, OZ closes in on the Sanq Kingdom.....

<Noin>: You haven't fully mastered Tallgeese yet!

<Zechs>: I have enough to attack once. Hesitating now would only give them more time to reinforce themselves.

<Noin>: Zechs, I know how much home means to you, but you're still low on practice....

<Attack Squad>: Sir, they're armed with laser cannons! We're running high casualties if we go in.Sir, request course of action.

<Zechs>: Retreat. I'll go there on Tallgeese and finish them.

<Noin>: No! I'll back you up on the Aries!

<Zechs>: Negative! You are to remain here to assist the wounded!

<Noin>: Yes, Lieutenant....

(Zechs blasts off in Tallgeese)

<Zechs>: Come on!!! Vernier Two!!

<Zechs> Uhhhh......Arrrhkkk!! (Grips throttle)

(Dober Gun fires on laser cannons)

<Walker, image on screen>: Hey! Whoever's in there, stop now! You'll die if you don't!

<Zechs>: Huh?

<Walker>: This suit is meant for the greatest soldier on Earth! Zechs Marquise! Get out now! Before you snap your neck! Only Zechs can survive this suit! He fears nothing! You are no match for him! I repeat, disembark now!! ---out---

<Zechs>: He's right...WHAT AM I AFRAID OF??????

(Tallgeese reaches Vernier III. Zechs boosts harder and harder...)

<Zechs>: ARRRRRGH! (grips heart)

Zechs has suffered a heart atttack! As Tallgeese plummets down, Noin gasps.....

next chapter...